Time to vent in a more positive way! FFS Umpiring

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SaintWal
Club Player

Time to vent in a more positive way! FFS Umpiring

One Shocker of a goal umpiring decision.

+

Oh yes, come on down Scott McLaren. Point the wrong way and then while all players are running to the Saints end, point the other way.

To think that I thought Razor Ray would be the one.

midas_touch
Club Player

That was deplorable. Along with Ray not seeing Leigh Fisher get a fist on Gia's kick which was recorded as a goal.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Umpiring as a whole was stunning.

An absolute disgrace.

Buckets
SS Life Member

Ahhh Footy doesn't it just frustrate you to tears sometimes!

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
howlinwolf
Club Player

It was no excuse for us losing but the umpiring today was plainly incompetent.
That touched goal was hard to believe at this level. The goal umpire was surely close enough to see that !
I found numerous (not just one ) examples of Mclaren pointing the wrong way after free kicks.
I think he's past it to be honest.

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

At least i get next week off,the game is in Sydney and is shown on Fox....

I'll be ready to roll for the Freo game,i hope we kick 20 goals in the first quarter,that should be enough to win the game...........

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
steph
Club Player

It really does suck..

you get frustrated enough at your own players, and then you have that rubbish to deal with.

I dont understand why decisions can't be reversed....EVERYONE saw that it was touched, why not just reverse the decision and kick out. If we actually gave a yelp and lost within 6 points......lets just say lucky we got flogged.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

OK...I'm confused

It looked for all the world (on the replay at the ground) like Leigh Fisher got a fist to that ball and the crowed erupted accordingly. The online game review however states that "Fisher failed to get a fist to it". Fish didnt seem to protest too vehemently either. Did anyone see it on TV? What was the verdict there?

The McLaren "wrong way" incident was disgraceful. Totally cost us a goal as the man dropped behind the ball by the Dogs suddeny was all on his own 20m from goal when knucklehead pointed the wrong way.

Funnily enough tho, I thought the worst decision went in our favour. How CJ got a free for a push instead of being pinged for holding the ball in the 3rd Qtr defied belief.

I do temper these grizzles by saying that it would be sheer folly to even think that the umpiring had any bearing on the end result.

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SaintWal
Club Player

saint66au wrote:OK...I'm confused

It looked for all the world (on the replay at the ground) like Leigh Fisher got a fist to that ball and the crowed erupted accordingly. The online game review however states that "Fisher failed to get a fist to it". Fish didnt seem to protest too vehemently either. Did anyone see it on TV? What was the verdict there?

The McLaren "wrong way" incident was disgraceful. Totally cost us a goal as the man dropped behind the ball by the Dogs suddeny was all on his own 20m from goal when knucklehead pointed the wrong way.

Funnily enough tho, I thought the worst decision went in our favour. How CJ got a free for a push instead of being pinged for holding the ball in the 3rd Qtr defied belief.

I do temper these grizzles by saying that it would be sheer folly to even think that the umpiring had any bearing on the end result.
Just venting as I said 66. No bearing on game is agreed but as Steph posted it does add to the frustration!!

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Fish did not touch that ball. The only one to complain was BJ.

As for McLaren pointing the wrong way he should be up the bush next week, but that wouldn't be fair to the bush and they don't drop them anymore.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

saint66au wrote: Did anyone see it on TV? What was the verdict there?
Touched, it would have gone through for a point if it hadn't deflected when touched.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
Launcestonsaint
SS Life Member
Location: Watching our games on tele or listening to the radio :(

Bernard Shakey wrote:Fish did not touch that ball. The only one to complain was BJ.
Fish did show the field umpire a couple of times his hands to let him know he touched it.

St Kilda's 2 premiership captains are Tassie born. The Doc & Roo.
SaintWal
Club Player

Bernard Shakey wrote:Fish did not touch that ball. The only one to complain was BJ.

As for McLaren pointing the wrong way he should be up the bush next week, but that wouldn't be fair to the bush and they don't drop them anymore.
Wrong wrong wrong. Even Razor Ray blushed

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

midas_touch wrote:That was deplorable. Along with Ray not seeing Leigh Fisher get a fist on Gia's kick which was recorded as a goal.
just saw that on replay- Leigh definitely touched- I'm guessing we'll get an apology and also also from scotty-0 but it doesn't do us any good- Both would have seen momentum shift.
and he did remonstrate-

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saints-06-Premiers
Club Player

The umpiring was terrible. We were worse.

Too lazy to update my username
my les foote
Club Player

Launcestonsaint wrote: Touched, it would have gone through for a point if it hadn't deflected when touched.
I hope Fisher got dragged for deflecting a certain point through for a goal :!:

Win it for HIM!
Furphy
Club Player

I recall back in the 90's, at Waverly, Loewe was robbed of a goal because the imbicile goal umpire had the sun in his eyes and the ball was bounced in the goal square. Pity the same rule didn't apply yesterday!

yipper
SS Life Member

Huh??? Clearly touched it - actually changed it's direction from going through for a point to bang on target!! Also the spin of the ball noticeably changed when Fish touched it. Razorback should have overruled the goal umpie!! McLaren is just incompetent.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
BallBanger
Club Player

Furphy wrote:I recall back in the 90's, at Waverly, Loewe was robbed of a goal because the imbicile goal umpire had the sun in his eyes and the ball was bounced in the goal square. Pity the same rule didn't apply yesterday!
When Leowe marked behind the goal line and the goaly did not see it...most thought it would have been paid either a goal or mark to Loewe...but no the dh umpire did not overrule instead took the ball back to the where the player kicked it (50m approx not goal square) for bounce...y r we always at the arse end of these odd calls?

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

We have been unlucky. Wat about the time we beat North by a point and a goal was paid to us which clearly hit the post or Aussies point which was out on the full or when we beat WCE by a couple of points and spider was paid a goal that clearly never went through the goals.

Yes we are unlucky.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:We have been unlucky. Wat about the time we beat North by a point and a goal was paid to us which clearly hit the post or Aussies point which was out on the full or when we beat WCE by a couple of points and spider was paid a goal that clearly never went through the goals.

Yes we are unlucky.
Oh dear...once again you miss the point galloping in on your AFL-approved white stallion (pun intended lol)

Noones saying it cost us the game..in fact a few of us went to great pains to point that out. All everyone is trying to say is that there were 2 dreadful mistakes at the game that COULD have been very costly.

Not seeing a fist connect a ball..and gifting a team a goal because you cant remember which way a team is kicking ..thats not "interpretation" type errors..they are serious skill errors in their umpiring craft. The players are held accountable for them, why should the umps get away with it??

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
yipper
SS Life Member

plugger66 wrote:We have been unlucky. Wat about the time we beat North by a point and a goal was paid to us which clearly hit the post or Aussies point which was out on the full or when we beat WCE by a couple of points and spider was paid a goal that clearly never went through the goals.

Yes we are unlucky.
It's alright for you to come on here and pot a player, the club - but it is never acceptable for us to pot an umpire??? Serious??? They do actually make mistakes you know.. They are supposed to be the elite level umpires you know!! Yet we are not allowed to come on here and state the obvious!! Why not Plugger?? There are, believe or not, times when we have been on the wrong side of some poor umpiring, the same with all other teams I s'pose. But heaven help us if we dare to say so!! Plugger will not approve. They were ordinary in this particular game - and the mistakes we are going on about are very basic errors that I can honestly say a country league umpire would never do. But, you're right - we should never come on here and vent our spleen - ever. In case it upsets you dear sir.

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:

Yes we are unlucky.
Oh dear...once again you miss the point galloping in on your AFL-approved white stallion (pun intended lol)

Noones saying it cost us the game..in fact a few of us went to great pains to point that out. All everyone is trying to say is that there were 2 dreadful mistakes at the game that COULD have been very costly.

Not seeing a fist connect a ball..and gifting a team a goal because you cant remember which way a team is kicking ..thats not "interpretation" type errors..they are serious skill errors in their umpiring craft. The players are held accountable for them, why should the umps get away with it??
No you miss the point. I am not sticking up for the AFL at all with what I said. Actually pointed out errors that should not have happened. Just pointing out that they make errors to every side because they human like some of us here. They will continue to make errors as will our players missing from directly in front when the game is hot. But if people feel better blaming others for our poor performance then hey continue on.

Sainterman
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Yes we are unlucky.

No you miss the point. I am not sticking up for the AFL at all with what I said. Actually pointed out errors that should not have happened. Just pointing out that they make errors to every side because they human like some of us here. They will continue to make errors as will our players missing from directly in front when the game is hot. But if people feel better blaming others for our poor performance then hey continue on.
This is the most inane debate that goes on anytime anyone mentions a poor decision. Yes, they happen to all clubs, yes, they are human like most of us here.

Those of us that complain would just like to see a better job done by the men in white (or whatever color they might be wearing!)

It didnt cntribute to the result in any way yesterday, but that doesnt mean in wont in the future or hasnt in the past, and it doesnt make it any less frutrating when you are there watching a game.

Plugger66, do u think you might cut some slack for those who want to have a bleat about it and then we can all move on to next week? Do you really need to pull people up on it every time?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

AFL Rules of the Game

Rule 6.9
No criticism of umpires by supporters will be acceptable under any circumstances.
Penalty - AFL sanctioned fun police, headed by Inspector Hungry Bartlett, will attempt to deflect any criticism, whether warranted or not, from any public gathering, meeting, internet forum, newspaper, television station or radio station.
They will use as much sarcasm, bluster, bluff, innuendo, abuse, baloney, ridicule and whatever else they deem appropriate to stifle the criticism as soon as possible.

My understanding is that Plugger is a senior sergeant in the aforementioned 'fun police' and as such is only following the letter of the law in attempting to belittle any poster who is in breach of this rule 6.9