Koschitzke and the ruck

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

cwrcyn
Saintsational Legend

Koschitzke and the ruck

Well, he keeps insisting on being a ruckman, but Blake is a far superior ruck than Kosi.

My understanding is that he has agitated regularly with his two recent coaches about playing in the ruck, but really, he is utterly ineffectual as a ruckman. As well as his inability to tap the ball (let alone get close to it in the ruck contest), his endurance is non-existent.

Kosi is treading water at the moment, and has an opportunity in the finals to have an impact as a forward. Let's hope he leaves today's form behind him.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The more I see of Kosi the more we should try and get a first rounder for him. Not sure he is worth it but he may help certain sides. Hate to lose him but footy is a tough game. Hard decisions must be made because we must improve a lot more to go further next year.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Nah, keep him. Unless Sydney want to give us their first two picks plus Ryan O'Keefe.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

its getting frustrating as i love the man

however ive said it all along that i think that ross is going to trade a big name at the end of the year and the only two i can really see are kosi and dal...

however we need an extra tall in the forward line and he provides it...ahh!!

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Overrated position......stats indicate that hit-outs are the least effective stats towards goals scored.....

Contested possesions and effective long kicks are the ones that matter..

Influence around the ground is more important.......Kosi had little influence today.....King was good

midas_touch
Club Player

Another disappointing game by Kosi, unfortunately there has been too many of them this year.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
Winmarvellous
Club Player

Kosi is not treading water, he's sinking. Very disappointing AGAIN today. Oh well, not gonna let it get me down after todays game.
Last edited by Winmarvellous on Sun 24 Aug 2008 9:03pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

If I continue to say he should be traded, which he should, several posters here have threatened not read my posts.

So, I say again Kosi must be traded.

He was less than ordinary today and hopefully some other team is prepared to offer a reasonable trade, mistakenly believing he will come good at some time in the future.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

mmm. wonder what he is worth in the market?
first rounder for him would be a no brainer. but i doubt wed get that.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:mmm. wonder what he is worth in the market?
first rounder for him would be a no brainer. but i doubt wed get that.
Why he's better than Seaby and you seem to be prepared to give up the kitchen sink for him?

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps Kosi +3rd round pick for Boyle and 1st round pick would tempt me but I think he is too talented to risk giving away...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

hasn't ross ruled out trading kosi or dal santo? pretty sure he did so last week.

i know he hasn't been performing as well as he can but i still think he can turn it around.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

How well can he play, bigcarl?

Nobody's seen him play well for 4 years.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Interestingly every other Club thinks he can play because i haven't seen a single game this year when he hasn't attracted a 'top line' defender to man him up.
If he does nothing else (and I'm not suggesting that is the case) he relieves pressure from our other forwards like Roo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Nobody's seen him play well for 4 years.
that's not entirely true. hasn't been a consistent match-winner, i agree, but has played some good football.

i think we erred by trying to turn him into a key forward (which i initially was in favour of) but it now seems clear that his best role is as a mobile big man around the ground.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:How well can he play, bigcarl?

Nobody's seen him play well for 4 years.
Harvey's 350th - yes he is a disappointment but the payoff is huge if he rediscovers his confidence and meets even half of his potential. King has perhaps a year left and on song Kosi is potentially our best forward. Remember talls take longer to develop and after his injuries his confidence was smashed - basically he went back to square one.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
gooner
Club Player

How much time did he spend in the forward line today?

Nearly every time I saw him he was in our back line or on the wing.

He can't be our dominant FF if he's not played there.

"The humble improve" Wynton Marsalis
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Kosi appears to lack aerobic capacity and it's hard to see this improving.....to be a top footballer it seems you need to be an athlete first and footballer second. Kosi aint that.

QuestionOfAccuracy
Club Player

If we're going to trade Kosi its gotta be at the end of this season because if he has another ordinary season next year i believe he wont have any value in the market left.

dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

A little too reminiscent of Heatley, Whitnall

Moving past him very quickly

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
saintly_safes
Club Player

Have been & I still am a Kosi supporter . He is not playing great footy at the moment & yes its been a long time since he has strung some decent games together. To me he is an integral part of our team ,even though his form has been down he gives us options & he takes a good defender every time he plays forward which frees up our other forwards. I really dont think hes ruckman but he can help out in that area when its required but definately not a full time gig.I have said this many times before play him at chb take a bit of expectation off him & we may see him blossom into player he once was. He is good for the team even when hes not playing well because the players around him know he has the ability we just have to be patient instead of reactive & call for him to be traded everytime he has a bad patch.Everyone has their own opinions & I respect that & I can see why supporters are calling for his head but I really have faith Kosi hopefully he'll prove me right :)
"Go Sainters"

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Im a Kosi fan.

I think he can play and he has that quality to dominate a game - yes infrequent but he HAS done it ...he reminds me of Brad Ottens as others have posted.....and hes now integral at Geelong.

One thing I reckon, and saw today, that we forget is that Kosi does bring footy to ground in fwd line - he crashed a few packs today to cause spillgaes that allowed a Milne/Sneider et al to have a crack...IF wed only had Roo today how easy would it have bee to simply block him from doing this?

Cmon Kos.....all it takes is you to take 1 game by the scruff of the neck...and the confidence flows from there...

“Yeah….nah””
mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

I think Kos could end up being a Simmonds/Ottens/Lade case, where the big man simply takes a long time to get it right. He has the ability, but does need a massive kick up the arse. If he could get around the ground a bit quicker (and for longer) then he'd be a valuable 2nd ruckman/forward. Hitouts don't concern me (a 'good' tap ruckman usually averages no more than 5 hitouts to advantage per game), but Kosi isn't hurting the opposition around the ground right now. All he needs is a big pre season with an emphasis on endurance running and I'm confident he'll be a much better player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Kosi is only a shadow at present of what he promised to be, and is sadly down on touch an form.

Charlie Gardiner arguably today provided more value than Kosi did.

As to comparing Kosi to Lade or Ottens....you have to be kidding!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ruckwork is not just tapwork...both of which Lade and Ottens can do, but is also providing BODYWORK at ruck contest and aroud the ground to allow you mids to do their job. Lade and Ottens dothis in spades...Kos i is clueless.

Kosi needs to improve or he may well find one Ben Mcevy taking his place in 2009 or 2010.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Not sure when his contract is up for renewal but that could be a very interesting time......especially if he is offered less coin than he gets now.....

He may well ask to be traded......

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.