grant thomas on our win

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

stinger
Saintsational Legend

grant thomas on our win

Turning it around
14/09/2008 6:17:00 PM, Grant Thomas

There were two magnificent performances over the weekend and they both came from teams who were able to dramatically reverse their fortunes. A week is a long time in football.

To endure the ridicule and ignominy of their efforts from seven days ago and deliver tremendous results is a credit to the playing groups and coaching staff from both the Western Bulldogs and Saints.

Directly after the game families do not know what to say, coaches generally take their frustration out on the players, supporters and people in the street just say “keep your chin up – better luck next weekâ€

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: grant thomas on our win

take the game on and play it on our strengths and on our terms ... the Saints initiated play and moved the ball very quickly which was the opposite to their hesitant and overawed approach against the Cats
a fair analysis by gt

markp
Saintsational Legend

Pretty insipid stuff.

Pretender as a coach, pretender as a journo... how long can he continue with this 'insider' charade?

Only a matter of time till he's found out once again.

What happened to all these big companies vying for his services anyway?

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

markp wrote:Pretty insipid stuff.

Pretender as a coach, pretender as a journo... how long can he continue with this 'insider' charade?

They've had a receiver appointed.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
take the game on and play it on our strengths and on our terms ... the Saints initiated play and moved the ball very quickly which was the opposite to their hesitant and overawed approach against the Cats
a fair analysis by gt
Why??

I though it was ligtweight myself.

The Saints employed a zone defence and 7 man defensive structure.

The Pies kept kicking to our zone.

The calls by GT to attack are rubbish. Even the Ctas zone and control the ball first.

Yes we played with BETTER confidence and executiuon...but all the Lyon Hallmarks were there...zoning... going sideways and backwards ifa forward path is denied, possession football etc etc..

What worked well was not
can't see anything there that ross would disagree with, to be honest.

a fair analysis, i thought, and he gives lyon credit for getting them up after an insipid (hesitant and overawed) effort against the cats.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:

They've had a receiver appointed.

:lol:

That reminds me of a Seinfeld episode.... "I'd like to hire you...."

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:
bigcarl wrote:
a fair analysis by gt
Why??

I though it was ligtweight myself.

The Saints employed a zone defence and 7 man defensive structure.

The Pies kept kicking to our zone.

The calls by GT to attack are rubbish. Even the Ctas zone and control the ball first.

Yes we played with BETTER confidence and executiuon...but all the Lyon Hallmarks were there...zoning... going sideways and backwards ifa forward path is denied, possession football etc etc..

What worked well was not
can't see anything there that ross would disagree with, to be honest.

a fair analysis, i thought, and he gives lyon credit for getting them up after an insipid (hesitant and overawed) effort against the cats.
analysis is not what Id term that...

emotional clap trap.....but if thats all you got.....thats all you got....

"opportunity doors" aside....

“Yeah….nah””
Leo.J
SS Life Member

here we go :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Pretender as a coach, pretender as a journo...
Journo???

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Leo.J wrote:here we go :roll:
oh wait......lets get him back still Leo?

I liked it better when you were on vacation at Dodgys house....

“Yeah….nah””
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Leo.J wrote:here we go :roll:
oh wait......lets get him back still Leo?

I liked it better when you were on vacation at Dodgys house....
:D :D

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
markp
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:

Pretender as a coach, pretender as a journo...
Journo???

:|

Columnist?... Commentator?...

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Not a bad summation by the ex. If he wanted to pen a tactical analysis
of the Saints game he would have called on Bundy to ghost write it for him....

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Good report on the game but the GT haters are so blinkered it is embarrassing.

StSteven
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:Good report on the game but the GT haters are so blinkered it is embarrassing.
I'm outta here!

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Funny how there are dozens of articles written by all journos... yet they are all flogs... yet when GT writes something, then it has to be gospel.

GT haters? What about the GT worshipers who are quick to jump on here and agree with every word he utters? Pot kettle black IMO.

There's a few here who owe Walls a massive apology for deriding him about RL's appointment, and the comments he made throughout the year.

Oh, and I see everyone's overlooked his recent article on Saturday?

Ho Hum... :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Good report on the game but the GT haters are so blinkered it is embarrassing.
How could a couple of lines on the match possibly in any way be considered a good report on the game?????

You may consider his "brief" comments accurate, and you may even find them incisive........but to describe it as a good report of the game is fanciful.

How could anyone from such brief information supplied in any way shape or form gain an understanding of the game such that they had read a "good reprt of the game".. quite clearly they could not.

To make such a claim you are quite clearly wearing the blinkers that you accuse others of..... but yours are of a GT Groupie...

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
markp
Saintsational Legend

Na I just think as a piece of journalism/commentary/analysis it's pretty thin and insipid. To me it reads more like a poster on here has written it... and it certainly wasn't reproduced because of its stand-alone merit...
Turning it around
14/09/2008 6:17:00 PM, Grant Thomas

There were two magnificent performances over the weekend and they both came from teams who were able to dramatically reverse their fortunes. A week is a long time in football.

Hmmm... yep

To endure the ridicule and ignominy of their efforts from seven days ago and deliver tremendous results is a credit to the playing groups and coaching staff from both the Western Bulldogs and Saints.

Hmmm... yep again!

Directly after the game families do not know what to say, coaches generally take their frustration out on the players, supporters and people in the street just say “keep your chin up – better luck next weekâ€

Halo Halo
Club Player

Its pretty clear you dont like the guy however can hardly call hima prentender as a coach - He got us into TWO prelim finals & although we lost them both we were exciting under him.. I thought the actual piece he wrote was 'fluff' however im not going to criticise him as coach cos he made footy fun for Saints supporters (for those who cant remember or care to forget as a club we were pathetic as a club for a few years before Grant)

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Couldnt care less about the article really...

As i read it, it seems that GT probably didnt want to write an article, but he aint overly informed in anything else, so to get his quota up he just wrote a dorothy-dixer... Nothing of substane in there at all...

Lets just hope that this week RL can do what GT never could...

That should put all debates, be it both GT worship and hatred, to bed, as knew ground will have been reached...

markp
Saintsational Legend

Halo Halo wrote:

Its pretty clear you dont like the guy however can hardly call hima prentender as a coach - He got us into TWO prelim finals & although we lost them both we were exciting under him.. I thought the actual piece he wrote was 'fluff' however im not going to criticise him as coach cos he made footy fun for Saints supporters (for those who cant remember or care to forget as a club we were pathetic as a club for a few years before Grant)
We'll never know what we could've achieved in those years under a better coach.

I only ever thought he was 5% off it, but he has totally lost me with his performance since being sacked, and in light of the revelations about his controlling ways.... GT is all about GT.

I don't hate him at all though, I just wish he'd farked off quietly.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Halo Halo wrote: Its pretty clear you dont like the guy however can hardly call hima prentender as a coach - He got us into TWO prelim finals & although we lost them both we were exciting under him.. I thought the actual piece he wrote was 'fluff' however im not going to criticise him as coach cos he made footy fun for Saints supporters (for those who cant remember or care to forget as a club we were pathetic as a club for a few years before Grant)
About as exciting as a night out at Goldfingers... you can get close enough... sense it... smell it... but no prize.
And a major letdown afterwards.
We'll never know what we could've achieved in those years under a better coach.
Interesting way to look at it. Very subjective with hindsight.

In the end, we didn't win a flag, and that's how history will judge us. No one remembers who came 2nd (except us in 97 :lol: )... let alone who came 3rd or 4th.

We could have played off in 25 prelims in a row and lost them all. Whoopee.

I'll be more impressed if he comes out next week and says: Congratulations to RL for achieving something I failed in doing over 3 years as coach... getting the team into a GF.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:We could have played off in 25 prelims in a row and lost them all. Whoopee.
A bit like the filth.

They think they are the bees knees but have won one flag in 50 years regardless of all the GF's and finals they have played in.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
HarveysDeciple

joffaboy wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:We could have played off in 25 prelims in a row and lost them all. Whoopee.
A bit like the filth.

They think they are the bees knees but have won one flag in 50 years regardless of all the GF's and finals they have played in.
A pies fan rang talk back radio after the game on Saturday saying that the only reason the Pies are so heavily bagged by fans is out of jealousy....

What the hell is their to be jealous about? They have won 1 premiership in 50 years!

In the last 50 years they are almost the least successful club, they sit ahead of the doggies and on a par with us, they have been no better then the saints.

JeffDunne

Are you guys trying to get GT a pay rise? :?