Good ole Patrick Smith is at it again..

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

realdeal
Club Player

Good ole Patrick Smith is at it again..

http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 47,00.html

I knew i shouldn't have continued to read it when i saw who wrote it.

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

meh, and just where has patrick heard RL's thoughts on BC joining the club?

Saintschampions08
Club Player

Idiot of the highest order.

I can't read a line of his without feeling pity for him.

Shades
Club Player

His scum

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Given his sources are right........That is a fair article guys.

The opening is brilliant. No one stepped in for ten years as Cousins battled drug addiction. His playing ability was always the highest priority.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Shady wrote:His scum
He's scum.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

would be interesting if his sources are good. Of course we will never know and it puts lyon in a difficult position either way.

What I'm also cruious is why patrick believes the public need to know the inner demons of cousins, all we should know is that he's clean. Anything else is ben's call on whether to make public (which might happen with the doco).

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
maverick
Saintsational Legend

Good article for us I reckon, surely no one else wnats him now...

How would he know whether Lyon's against recruiting Cuz or not, Lyon gives nothing to the media, least of all Smith.

Patrick is being played by Nixon beautifully, and he has a go at the Hun about it, he's a fool, and that's putting it nicely :lol:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I'm as happy as anyone to put the boots into Smith as he 99% of the time is a sanctimonious old fool. That article however was a reasonable opinion piece of the Cousins saga.

Duggie1
Club Player

I have no personal gripe against Smith, perhaps because I do not read him often enough.
This article by him is well constructed and seems to carry a good deal of logic--if the facts are right.
As for Cousins I have always had the view that one factor would cause him to come to us-- his mate Gardiner. So if Smith is right that factor will be outweighed. :lol:

Always a Saint
stinger
Saintsational Legend

the guy's aptly nick named fatprick......he hates the saints with a passion....never misses a chance to sink he boot in.......how the hell has anything the president said ....when he was referring to the drinking and illicit substance habits of some ...who shall remain nameless...got to do with a rehabilitated cousins ffs.......

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
StSteven
Club Player

Open the other eye guys, nothing wrong with that article. What Smith says is being said by many behind their hands. If we take cousins we will have to live with him being in the spotlight and ignoring the effect he has on others.

the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I dread the impact on our club which is just living down our old image.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Open the other eye guys, nothing wrong with that article. What Smith says is being said by many behind their hands. If we take cousins we will have to live with him being in the spotlight and ignoring the effect he has on others.

the best predictor of future behaviour is past behaviour. I dread the impact on our club which is just living down our old image.
sure...but i always believe in giving someone a second chance...not necessarily with us though.....

maverick
Saintsational Legend

StSteven wrote:Open the other eye guys, nothing wrong with that article. What Smith says is being said by many behind their hands. If we take cousins we will have to live with him being in the spotlight and ignoring the effect he has on others.

So he knows what Lyon privaely thinks does he?

He also knows for a fact that Lyon was overruled on the recruitment of Gehrig then?

Everything else he wrote could have been written by anyone remotely connected to footy.

He adds nothing as per usual.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

this article from the age is at odds with the one by fatprick....

"Cousins' future in Saints' hands

Cameron Noakes | November 22, 2008

BEN Cousins seems destined to become a Saint as St Kilda is the only club willing to take a chance on the fallen star.

The West Australian reports that the fate of Ben Cousins is likely to be revealed by late Tuesday and "St Kilda is the sole AFL club willing to gamble on the recovering drug addict".

The report said the Brisbane Lions were not "officially" out of the race but "there were some on the board, along with sponsors, who believed that acquiring the ex-West Coast captain was not in the club's best and long-term interests".

And North Melbourne, who declared an interest in Cousins, withdrew that interest after its major sponsor Mazda expressed some reservations about drafting the 30-year-old.

"That leaves St Kilda as seemingly the only option left available to Cousins, who was given until noon on Wednesday by the AFL to decide whether he will nominate for the national draft, set down for Melbourne next Saturday morning," the WA said.

If Cousins does not enter the national draft he has the option of entering the pre-season "lottery", and that deadline is December 9.

"Cousins' stance may well be dictated by the direction of the Saints board, which is expected to hold a meeting on Tuesday afternoon," the report said.

"Cousins, who flew back to Perth from Melbourne yesterday, has met with St Kilda directors and has also been involved in at least three in-depth discussions with Saints coach Ross Lyon.

"Lyon and football operations general manager Matthew Drain will present a submission to the board outlining reasons why the champion midfielder would be a good fit for a club that sees itself in premiership mode."

It said members of St Kilda's leadership group, notably captain Nick Riewoldt, had also met with the 2005 Brownlow medallist and "had spoken in glowing terms about the progress he had made in his rehabilitation".

st.byron
Saintsational Legend

The opening of the article is accurate. Cousins' drug issues were overlooked by the WA media and the WCE who were fully entranced with worshipping him.

The rest of the article is pure speculation. Smith fails to provide any evidence that Lyon doesn't want Cousins. Apart from his own opinion. He then goes on to quote Westaway and uses that to suggest that Cousins is thumbing his nose at the AFL's drugs testing regime and therefore we shouldn't draft him.
Talk about constructing a tenuous argument. Cousins has done all that has been asked of him. He's clean and appears to be making a genuine effort to return to the game. Not good enough for Fatprick though. Sinking the boots in on the strength of a tenuous argument about Westaway and speculation about Lyon. Fatprick is more interested in his own image as a journo than he is in being fair and balanced.

the shadow
Club Player

Well, Patrick has done it again. Taken the cheap and easy way out. Despite making a number of good points about the BC situation, it's nothing we haven't heard before.

The clincher, " Importantly, coach Ross Lyon is said not to be in favour of the club drafting Cousins", receives no further qualification. Surely if Ross Lyon had categorically stated he didn't want Cousins, then that would be the biggest Ben Cousins story of all, as it would effectively mean the end of the entire saga.

In those circumstances, wouldn't you think any credible journalist would go after the story hammer and tong, quoting sources, including Lyon himself. Surely a single phone call to RL and the question, "Do you want Ben at your club or not?" would put the whole matter to rest and would put Patrick in line for the football story of the year.

But no, Patrick was obviously late for lunch after a big week and needed to pump out something for his masters. So let's rehash all the stuff we've all written about Ben in the past, throw in a few mentions about Ricky Nixon (keeping him on side) and then throw in the so-called "bombshell" revelation that the last coach willing to entertain Ben on his list has lost interest. No qualification of the source of course!

Shame on you Patrick Smith. A typically lazy, cheap and cynical piece of "work" if you could call it that. I hope the long lunch drowned out any sense of dignity and integrity you may have left.

No Patrick, the only "Source" you had contact with this week, was the copious amount of "sauce" you tipped down your big fat neck at lunch.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

the shadow wrote:Well, Patrick has done it again. Taken the cheap and easy way out. Despite making a number of good points about the BC situation, it's nothing we haven't heard before.

The clincher, " Importantly, coach Ross Lyon is said not to be in favour of the club drafting Cousins", receives no further qualification. Surely if Ross Lyon had categorically stated he didn't want Cousins, then that would be the biggest Ben Cousins story of all, as it would effectively mean the end of the entire saga.

In those circumstances, wouldn't you think any credible journalist would go after the story hammer and tong, quoting sources, including Lyon himself. Surely a single phone call to RL and the question, "Do you want Ben at your club or not?" would put the whole matter to rest and would put Patrick in line for the football story of the year.

But no, Patrick was obviously late for lunch after a big week and needed to pump out something for his masters. So let's rehash all the stuff we've all written about Ben in the past, throw in a few mentions about Ricky Nixon (keeping him on side) and then throw in the so-called "bombshell" revelation that the last coach willing to entertain Ben on his list has lost interest. No qualification of the source of course!

Shame on you Patrick Smith. A typically lazy, cheap and cynical piece of "work" if you could call it that. I hope the long lunch drowned out any sense of dignity and integrity you may have left.

No Patrick, the only "Source" you had contact with this week, was the copious amount of "sauce" you tipped down your big fat neck at lunch.

good post.....

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Re: Good ole Patrick Smith is at it again..

realdeal wrote:http://www.theaustralian.news.com.au/st ... 47,00.html

I knew i shouldn't have continued to read it when i saw who wrote it.
I blame John Howard for this

He was the one who tightened up the gun laws !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The guy is an idiot but there is nothing wrong with the article. If we werent interested in him everyone would say the article is fair but then again it is hard to open 2 eyes.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The guy is an idiot but there is nothing wrong with the article. If we werent interested in him everyone would say the article is fair but then again it is hard to open 2 eyes.
I think it's the part about lyon and the use of westaways line on drugs which makes it a poor article.... shame because the first half was excellent.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
the shadow
Club Player

I disagree plugger66. What's not alright is to attribute comments/information to RL and not quote the source, or how he came by the material he relies on to make his argument. In journalism that is considered lazy and unethical. By the good ones anyway. Patrick Smith writes lots of good articles. This wasn't one of them.

Run like Ditterich, arms flailing, cause fear in the enemy, make fellow saints walk tall!
maverick
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:The guy is an idiot but there is nothing wrong with the article. If we werent interested in him everyone would say the article is fair but then again it is hard to open 2 eyes.
So RL isn't interested in Cuz then cyclops?

Did anyone actually READ the article, sometimes I think people on here read the title and then love reading their own posts...

Nothing wrong with an article that quotes RL's thoughts without substance.....

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:
So RL isn't interested in Cuz then cyclops?

Did anyone actually READ the article, sometimes I think people on here read the title and then love reading their own posts...

Nothing wrong with an article that quotes RL's thoughts without substance.....
Yep no other articles do that. Its the first one of that type of have read. Fancy anyone doing that. Disgusting.

the shadow
Club Player

Attitudes like that promote s*** journalism and let lazy wankers write whatever they like, plugger66. Your attitude just assists them. It might be good enough for you. So be it. Don't expect the rest of us to accept your level of understanding.

BTW how would you like it if I wrote an article about you, attributing comments and thoughts to you without divulging even the merest hint of a source? I'm sure you might see my point if that were the case.

Just because plenty of people do something doesn't make it right or even useful.