Gardner OK - Cousins NOT

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Gardner OK - Cousins NOT

We took Michael Gardner in 2006 who had played a handful of games since 2003 and has a F***ed body. and had serious off-field issues and used DP#43 to do so.

Yet

Denied the 2005 Browlnow medallist, whose body is as fit as any player who has ever played. Cousins was in rare touch as late as 2007 averaging 25 possessions a game..

This decision is disgraceful, and goes against the want of the members and coaches and players......and AFL community...

it happens when a bunch of suits try to make decisions about sport, when they have zero fu**ing idea....really football matters should be left to those who know something about the game....i want to win, and seriously could not give a rats about upholding bullsh*t values.

Football First........seriously, besides two, who in that group actually understands the game......especially not a scottish git, whose every decision seem to be a massive F*** up.

I will seriously consider my position in supporting a basket case.....tonight will be remembered as the night our club made another poor decision and let a golden opportunity (risk albeit) slip......how often do you get the chance to take a brownlow medallist?????

F*** heads

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

I will seriously consider my position in supporting a basket case
Perhaps you can go and support one of the other clubs who have committed to drafting him. :roll:

uncle joe
Club Player

The club is the main consideration here . There are always disappointed people when controversial decisions are made .

We have a great club . Lets all support it and get on with making 2009 a winner !!!
Michael Gardiner is a saints player . I , for one , wil support him .

Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Re: Gardner OK - Cousins NOT

BigMart wrote: ..how often do you get the chance to take a brownlow medallist?????
Shane Woewoedin .....he was cut and nominated for the draft ....... anyone???

14 other clubs also decided against drafting Cousins ...... what does that say???

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

really football matters should be left to those who know something about the game.
Thats pretty rich coming from someone who savaged our recruiting manager quite personally for drafting Brad Howard. No matter if he has or hasnt come on, at the time calling Bevo an "ego-maniac" (correct me if Im wrong here) was hardly sticking to your creed stated above

Nice to know that not only do we have wannabe AFL coaches on here we have wannabe board members as well

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
BonoRocks
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
really football matters should be left to those who know something about the game.
Thats pretty rich coming from someone who savaged our recruiting manager quite personally for drafting Brad Howard. No matter if he has or hasnt come on, at the time calling Bevo an "ego-maniac" (correct me if Im wrong here) was hardly sticking to your creed stated above

Nice to know that not only do we have wannabe AFL coaches on here we have wannabe board members as well
Brad Howard was a stupid decision at the time and has proven to be so now. God forbid the idiot who signed his contract weeks before delisting him. So many people rate bevo such a guru and what has it got us in our time.. To parts of stuff all. My 33 years havent exactly been filled with successful years.

Should have taken the risk on cousins, we're here to win premierships, our midfield is seriously lacking and the upside far out weighed the downside IMO. If he faulted again, oh well we tried, didnt work, he's gone. But if it did, it takes the heat off our midfield and might give them a bit of space to cause some damage also.

A possible star for nothing, we should have done it
At worst he'd be gone, how many wasted picks over the last few years, whats another one if it didnt work out.

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote: Brad Howard was a stupid decision at the time and has proven to be so now. God forbid the idiot who signed his contract weeks before delisting him. So many people rate bevo such a guru and what has it got us in our time.. To parts of stuff all. My 33 years havent exactly been filled with successful years.
You completely missed the point. Dont know if you were on here when Howard got drafted but the hue and cry by the "experts" on here was incredible. First Bevo got blasted for taking Armo because - wait for it - he was another Queenslander, like there is something wrong with that. Next, Bevo was abused and derided for picking Howard at 27. In hindsight that was a wrong move but the vitriol and rampant egoism of the armchair "experts" was appalling.

Nobody seemed to bag Sam Fishers choice at no 53, or Allen at no 55. But one bad choice and the experts were up in arms.
BonoRocks wrote:Should have taken the risk on cousins, we're here to win premierships, our midfield is seriously lacking and the upside far out weighed the downside IMO. If he faulted again, oh well we tried, didnt work, he's gone. But if it did, it takes the heat off our midfield and might give them a bit of space to cause some damage also.
On the face of it I agree. ther club and RL knows our limitations in the midfield, so the reason NOT to take a risk with Cousins must be extremely compelling.

I am dissapointed, would have loved Cousins in our colours, but the decision has been made, we all need to look forward.
BonoRocks wrote:A possible star for nothing, we should have done it
At worst he'd be gone, how many wasted picks over the last few years, whats another one if it didnt work out.
Every club has wasted picks. What has been wasted since RL has come on board?

Pick 43 for Gardiner and Birss? Only moderately successful

Pick 27 for Dempster and Schneider. Dempster was going well until a knee, Schneider went Ok

Pick 90 for King and C Gardiner. King went very well, Gardiner not.

Pick whatever 30 something for Farren Ray? Who knows but he was taken at #4.

Armo? was that a waste?

McEvoy? was that a waste?

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BonoRocks wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Brad Howard was a stupid decision at the time and has proven to be so now. God forbid the idiot who signed his contract weeks before delisting him. So many people rate bevo such a guru and what has it got us in our time.. To parts of stuff all. My 33 years havent exactly been filled with successful years.

Should have taken the risk on cousins, we're here to win premierships, our midfield is seriously lacking and the upside far out weighed the downside IMO. If he faulted again, oh well we tried, didnt work, he's gone. But if it did, it takes the heat off our midfield and might give them a bit of space to cause some damage also.

Lets say Jeld Wen did have "major" concerns about drafting Cousins and we decide to draft him anyway

Would you risk drafting him knowing full well that we could lose our major sponsor especially in this current financial climate

At the moment Richmond Melbourne and Western Bulldogs (??) are without major sponsors for next year - with the threat of global recession looming their position is somewhat of a worry wouldn't you say

We can ill afford to lose a major sponsor and if Caro was correct with her inside info then drafting Cousins would have been a massive massive risk

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:We took Michael Gardner in 2006 who had played a handful of games since 2003 and has a F***ed body. and had serious off-field issues and used DP#43 to do so.

Yet

Denied the 2005 Browlnow medallist, whose body is as fit as any player who has ever played. Cousins was in rare touch as late as 2007 averaging 25 possessions a game..

This decision is disgraceful, and goes against the want of the members and coaches and players......and AFL community...

it happens when a bunch of suits try to make decisions about sport, when they have zero fu**ing idea....really football matters should be left to those who know something about the game....i want to win, and seriously could not give a rats about upholding bullsh*t values.

Football First........seriously, besides two, who in that group actually understands the game......especially not a scottish git, whose every decision seem to be a massive F*** up.

I will seriously consider my position in supporting a basket case.....tonight will be remembered as the night our club made another poor decision and let a golden opportunity (risk albeit) slip......how often do you get the chance to take a brownlow medallist?????

F*** heads
How about checking in your ego before posting!

The fact of the matter is that Cousins has raised doubts about his ability to be clean given that he coincidently missed a hair drug test by shaving down and still keeps close contact with a number of underworld friends even though he's been told to drop them. Goes to show that he won't do everything to get back his footy career which has left 14 clubs in serious doubt. You can't say that they're all wrong and you are right! Maybe you're the ********! Have you considered that?

Solar
Saintsational Legend

hey marto,

that group of suits included three former midfielders for stkilda in burke, thompson and nettleford. No experience at the highest level, pfft.....

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
BonoRocks
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
BonoRocks wrote: Brad Howard was a stupid decision at the time and has proven to be so now. God forbid the idiot who signed his contract weeks before delisting him. So many people rate bevo such a guru and what has it got us in our time.. To parts of stuff all. My 33 years havent exactly been filled with successful years.
You completely missed the point. Dont know if you were on here when Howard got drafted but the hue and cry by the "experts" on here was incredible. First Bevo got blasted for taking Armo because - wait for it - he was another Queenslander, like there is something wrong with that. Next, Bevo was abused and derided for picking Howard at 27. In hindsight that was a wrong move but the vitriol and rampant egoism of the armchair "experts" was appalling.

Nobody seemed to bag Sam Fishers choice at no 53, or Allen at no 55. But one bad choice and the experts were up in arms.
BonoRocks wrote:Should have taken the risk on cousins, we're here to win premierships, our midfield is seriously lacking and the upside far out weighed the downside IMO. If he faulted again, oh well we tried, didnt work, he's gone. But if it did, it takes the heat off our midfield and might give them a bit of space to cause some damage also.
On the face of it I agree. ther club and RL knows our limitations in the midfield, so the reason NOT to take a risk with Cousins must be extremely compelling.

I am dissapointed, would have loved Cousins in our colours, but the decision has been made, we all need to look forward.
BonoRocks wrote:A possible star for nothing, we should have done it

Pick 27 for Dempster and Schneider. Dempster was going well until a knee, Schneider went Ok

Armo? was that a waste?

Sorry for the long quote, ove no idea how to change that
I never mentioned Armo, at least he was rated as a junior along with McEvoy. Give them games and time. Howard wasnt ever rated a 2nd round pick except by our guru.... Never blitzed in the reserves. The guru who has been at the helm of our recruiting in what can be descibed as the most unsuccessful team in my lifetime anyway.

About our sponser, are we here to win premierships. Footy First, its all we heard about. I know we have to be around and need money to survive, Its tough out there, i know that but surely improving our footballing ability in an area we seriously lack should take precedence over anything else.

if he relapsed he is gone, if he didnt and got his body right, he could be anything. Its the great unknown, i wish we had the balls to take that chance.

westcoastwizard
Club Player

I would love to see Cousins back on the field again for any team (Except the dirty Magpies and the filthly Blues), I know hes dont crap in the past. when people take a punt on players like Farren Ray, Charlie Gardner and co I cant understand why Ben Cousins would not be given a chance, beleive ive seen him train this year and hes looks fitter than ever, and would add class and flair to any midfield.

It would be great to see a champion back up and running

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Armo? was that a waste?

All the above are either very, very poor to date - or ordinary.

Except for King. He was a good one.

The rest have been woeful in terms of output and value add on-field.

I'd be staggered if Lyon didn't want Cousins. Really surprised.

Considering the off-field 'antics' of some on our list, who the club did recruit - presumably under the direction or advice of Lyon, I'm perplexed as to why a player 10 times the others' ability wasn't wanted by Lyon.

He has a penchant for drafting rejects, rejects with issues.

Why would he not want Cousins? As I said, I'd be really surprised if Lyon had a say in this. And if he did, if it was listened to.

I think the early mail from BigFooty about the sponsors making the call is probably the most accurate.

If so, incredibly disappointing. Not surprising in this ridiculous 'sport' I once knew and loved though.

So sad that the actual footy is the least important part of the game these days.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Without starting another thread......the big issue now is where to for Gardiner?

Surely he was kept on the list as a confidant for BC, should we draft him.

It's hard to imagine how Gardy will suddenly come good next season given how little footy he's played in the past 2 seasons and his dodgy body.

I assume it is not too late to delist Gardy, ie. there is a final cutoff in December for axing extra players???

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
undecided
Club Player

how many spots do we have on our senior and rookie lists????? dont we have a lot of spots to fill. this better be a bloody good draft up to pick 80

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Devilhead wrote:
BonoRocks wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Lets say Jeld Wen did have "major" concerns about drafting Cousins and we decide to draft him anyway

Would you risk drafting him knowing full well that we could lose our major sponsor especially in this current financial climate

At the moment Richmond Melbourne and Western Bulldogs (??) are without major sponsors for next year - with the threat of global recession looming their position is somewhat of a worry wouldn't you say

We can ill afford to lose a major sponsor and if Caro was correct with her inside info then drafting Cousins would have been a massive massive risk
I don't buy the sponsorship excuse, I really think it had nothing to do with it at the end of the day. Talk to the public, and ask just how many non-saints supporters would be tuning into a Saints game just because Cousins was going to pull on a jumper. This wasn't about Jeldwen...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

BigMart wrote:

Finally! Some real facts about this are starting to emerge from people in the know. :roll:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Legendary
Club Player

Definitely was about Jeld-Wen.

Lose their sponsorship and you lose St Kilda.

Massive, massive consideration.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Devilhead wrote:
BigMart wrote: ..how often do you get the chance to take a brownlow medallist?????

14 other clubs also decided against drafting Cousins ...... what does that say???
comparing Woewoedin and cousins is the dumbest thing i have ever read

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

fonz_#15 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I thought my posts were the dumbest things you've ever read. Now my feelings are very hurt. :wink:

Say it isn't so, Fonz.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
fonz_#15
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
fonz_#15 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

I thought my posts were the dumbest things you've ever read. Now my feelings are very hurt. :wink:

Say it isn't so, Fonz.
nah you're just the all round dumbest poster i have interacted with :wink:

don't take it to heart mate, i'm sure you can win back my love :lol:

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: All the above are either very, very poor to date - or ordinary.

Except for King. He was a good one.

The rest have been woeful in terms of output and value add on-field.
I tend to disagree. Gardiner has been dissapointing and C Gardiner was very dissapointing hence his going.

Birss was servicable and I was suprised he was cut.

Schneider was average

King was very good

Dempster was the suprise. Was really beginning to blossom as a key defender and was ahead of Gilbert when he did his knee.

Anyway only my opinion. All the picks were pretty high except for the Schneider/Dempster pick which was 27 so i suppose there is an argument that it was dissapointing.

Still aren't convicnce that any of the picks were wasted though.

rodgerfox wrote:I'd be staggered if Lyon didn't want Cousins. Really surprised.

Considering the off-field 'antics' of some on our list, who the club did recruit - presumably under the direction or advice of Lyon, I'm perplexed as to why a player 10 times the others' ability wasn't wanted by Lyon.

He has a penchant for drafting rejects, rejects with issues.

Why would he not want Cousins? As I said, I'd be really surprised if Lyon had a say in this. And if he did, if it was listened to.
Well I dont know what Lyon's attitude in the end was. However we really need a midfielder in the Cousins mould to at least make us competitive against the likes of the Hawks and Cats. In the finals it was apparent to anyone even with a passing interest of AFL that our mid was, if not two rungs, at least a rung below those two clubs midfields.

If Lyon still thinks we are a flag change with this list, and we all know the glaring deficiencies of our mids, there mustbe some substantial reason not to draft him.
rodgerfox wrote:I think the early mail from BigFooty about the sponsors making the call is probably the most accurate.
Do you think that would be the only reason?

rodgerfox wrote:If so, incredibly disappointing. Not surprising in this ridiculous 'sport' I once knew and loved though.

So sad that the actual footy is the least important part of the game these days.
If so, as you say, yes i agree. Still there seems to be more to it than just a sponsor misgiving.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
Devilhead wrote:

Look at BM's original question!!!!!!!!!!

Woewoedin was a "brownlow medallist" who got cut in his prime a few years after winning his brownlow and he then nominated for the draft and ultimately didn't get picked

Doesn't matter that he isn't as good as Cousins the fact is he is a Brownlow Medallist and I answered BM's question accordingly

Who is looking stupid now!!!

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

perhaps we learned our lesson in hiring 'used to be champions' when we took gardiner...

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

He's a junkie, for christ's sake. A new jumper and a great CV ain't gonna change that. And until he proves to anyone that he can operate like something more than a smug untouchable outlaw, then I suspect no one will show much interest. We gave him FIVE months to prove he was up to the standard we required. He wasn't. He's not right for us. Decision's made. Get over it.