Is Ben a smartarse?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

fonz_#15 wrote:
SENsaintsational wrote:
ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Ricky is quoted, that he passed the last six weeks worth of urine tests...
He also passed all of those whilst apparently regularly on the gear.
cos of course you know that for a fact :roll: :roll:
There were reports to that effect. Of course I don't know that for fact, that's why I put 'apparently' in my post.

'Apparently', back in Ken Judge's days he was warned of BC's behaviour...and early doors John Worsfold was warned of his drug use.

Yet he never tested positive....but has admitted to being a drug addict.

I'd don't think it's too hard to join to dots.

Andrew Johns also admitted being a drug addict whilst playing but did he test positive?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
SaintHomer
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:he is... and i for one am happy with the boards decision last night (although it appears im in the minority).

i said in another thread that he may have been an acceptible risk, but im glad we didn't take it.

well done board
What was the risk?
can you honestly not see a risk in taking a 30 y.o selfconfessed drug addict with a history of hamstring injuries?

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

Just to add, my major point is:

Why shave your head and wax your body so you cannot give a hair sample just prior to the AFL making a call on your football future?

What was there to gain in doing such a thing?

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

SaintHomer wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:he is... and i for one am happy with the boards decision last night (although it appears im in the minority).

i said in another thread that he may have been an acceptible risk, but im glad we didn't take it.

well done board
What was the risk?
can you honestly not see a risk in taking a 30 y.o selfconfessed drug addict with a history of hamstring injuries?
The drug addict part I can't see as a risk - it hasn't been an issue for him on-field in the past.

Certainly the 30yo bit could be a risk. The hammies I wouldn't say is a 'historical' thing.

If the 30yo thing and the hammy thing is a risk, why have we drafted other injury prone and old rejects?

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

SENsaintsational wrote:Just to add, my major point is:

Why shave your head and wax your body so you cannot give a hair sample just prior to the AFL making a call on your football future?

very little, but i suppose i am in the minority when i say that i don't care if he is clean or not, i just wanted him in a st.kilda jumper.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
SaintHomer
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
SaintHomer wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

well done board
What was the risk?
The drug addict part I can't see as a risk - it hasn't been an issue for him on-field in the past.

Certainly the 30yo bit could be a risk. The hammies I wouldn't say is a 'historical' thing.

If the 30yo thing and the hammy thing is a risk, why have we drafted other injury prone and old rejects?
i would argue that the drug addict thing is definately a risk, and a major reason as to why he isn't still at the eagles. i agree it didn't appear to effect onfield, but it certainly did off it, and that led to his being let go.

the age is definately a risk, and hamstrings don't get any better in later years. might not be a huge risk, but still a risk no doubt.

other draftee's we have made have nothing to do with my post. i was saying that cousins was a risk.

i was surprised that you could ask what risk?

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

We should have taken Ben.

There's not much more to it than that. His chance of stuffing up again were probably around the 10% mark. Not a bad risk IMO - and if he did stuff up, sheesh, it would have hardly reflected as badly on us as it has on West Coast.

Jeld-Wen would have sold twice as many doors with the exposure we would have gotten.

Pathetic, really.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

You mean, what was he got to hide?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:We should have taken Ben.

There's not much more to it than that. His chance of stuffing up again were probably around the 10% mark. Not a bad risk IMO - and if he did stuff up, sheesh, it would have hardly reflected as badly on us as it has on West Coast.

Jeld-Wen would have sold twice as many doors with the exposure we would have gotten.

Pathetic, really.
I think you're shooting from the hip.

Risk is risk. A 10% risk is no different to a 90% risk. The consequences arising from another transgression is huge

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Moccha wrote:

Pathetic, really.

Risk is risk. A 10% risk is no different to a 90% risk. The consequences arising from another transgression is huge
huge for Ben

I thought we should have picked Ben......

Given him a go.........

but the "Machine"...... Risk management/due diligence/what if sponsors ...
litagation world.............

won over

to be seen giving someone another genuine chance

but we didd not have the ticker to fight the "machine" IMO

upside

Appears more than not (Members) wanted him
Could have been plenty of good exposure for a bold Sponsor
Bold markrting dept etc......

BUT the what if gloom "machine " won out

If Ben did blow it HE would have been the loser

MACHINE
the analogy I am using is there use to be 100 kids playing in the schoolyard......1 may have/did hurt himself........but the "Machine" supported the benifits to the other 99

Now knowone plays in the schoolyard because the "Machine" supports the what if 1 gets hurt and the benifits to other 99 is forgotten
Last edited by chook23 on Wed 26 Nov 2008 1:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

saint4life
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Moccha wrote:

Pathetic, really.

Pretty disengenous - of course all risk isn't equal. J-walking is not of even similar risk to crossing the freeway. You can die both ways, but the chances of it happening are vastly different.

Personally, my biggest disagreement is that my view of the Cousins drafting being low risk is that the consequences aren't high (as far as I know there was no possible loss of premiership points etc. ala West Coast), at worst, you've lost the list spot for 12 months, and at best you've got a top flight midfielder for 2009. The price of a low draft pick is a no brainer.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

BAM! (shhhh) wrote:
Moccha wrote:

Pathetic, really.

Pretty disengenous - of course all risk isn't equal. J-walking is not of even similar risk to crossing the freeway. You can die both ways, but the chances of it happening are vastly different.

Personally, my biggest disagreement is that my view of the Cousins drafting being low risk is that the consequences aren't high (as far as I know there was no possible loss of premiership points etc. ala West Coast), at worst, you've lost the list spot for 12 months, and at best you've got a top flight midfielder for 2009. The price of a low draft pick is a no brainer.
No the worst is that we could lose our MAJOR sponsor which in this current climate could mean the death knell for the club

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
chook23
Saintsational Legend

typical response of the ........

todays society brainwashed knowingly or unknowingly by the negative media "machine" mentality.

what if ................everything we do

too scared to do anything.....for it might happen brigade.

saint4life
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

ABSOLUTELY NOTHING

Ultimately this decision might be right up there with some of the dumber decisions Benny has made

and lets not confuse dumb decisions with idiotic and/or criminal decisions !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

It's nearly as dumb as the AFL giving him the green light, without said hair test...

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Pathetic, really.
So in your opinion his chance of stuffing up again would be around 10%...

How do you base that opinion??

Just my opinion, but I think your post is pathetic...

His "Not a bad Risk" ?????

Some players would no doubt have to take a pay cut to allow this 31 year old next year to play...RISK in player harmony

He never bothered to play this year when he had the opportunity to do so with Port Melbourne or a West Australian side WHY....

He knew he had to provide a hair sample weeks ago and shaved his body and cut the hair so short that he was unable to provide that sample RISK

The chance of losing premiership points is also another issue...

Every other Club bar Brisbane has now said NO....

and you consider Cousins to be a 10% risk.... :roll:

This is a classic...

They are the largest in the business, just how do you think they are going to sell twice as many doors???

Oh, I see...

Great I support the Saints and I just replace some doors :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Richter
SS Life Member

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

It's nearly as dumb as the AFL giving him the green light, without said hair test...
He wasn't told by the AFL that he needed hair 3cm long even though he knew from other sources (Ricky Nixon) that this was necessary he thought it'd be a neat way of sticking two fingers up at the AFL - they couldn't use it as an excuse to ban him as they stuffed up in their obligation to tell him formally of this requirement.

Yes he's likely an arrogant SOB, but so was Eric Cantona for Manchester United in 1995 after karate-kicking a fan at a match...... when he came back aged 29 he went on to win two premierships with United and was named their player of the century by the fans.

I hardly blame him for wanting to give the AFL the old two fingers - how can any Saints fan not want to do this after Sirengate/Whispers in the sky etc.

-------------------------

In fact for mine the only thing that makes sense is that he was discarded because of the company he keeps. Potential for him to be photographed with half the hoods in Melbourne over the next 3-4 years. That may have been considered just too high a price to pay......

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
saintly_safes
Club Player

Ben is a smart arse of the highest proportions but this time even the king might have outsmarted himself

groupie1
Club Player

what do you think there was to gain by shaving down before a hair sample test? take a wild guess.

BEN COUSINS... The greatest St Kilda player that never was.

Gordon Fode couldda been Plugga