gt backs board's decision

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

gt backs board's decision

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

FORMER St Kilda coach Grant Thomas said last night the club had made the right decision to pass on Ben Cousins. Thomas said he would not have even contemplated the idea of taking Cousins if he was still at the helm.

"Personally, I'm pleased St Kilda has made the decision they have. I would like to see this playing group deliver on its own merits," he said.

"I don't think the media frenzy that would have gone along with it would do St Kilda, of all teams, any good.

"I think the last thing St Kilda footy club needs in this stage of its evolution is a widely publicised situation such as this . . . as well as the release of a documentary.

"It might be OK for a team that has won a few premierships, but for St Kilda's situation and history, and where they currently are, it's not right.

"They've got a big job, the Saints. They're delicately poised and I don't think they need it.

"With two games to go they weren't even certain to make the eight. It was a very odd end to the season."

Asked how he would have handled the Cousins situation, Thomas, who coached the Saints from 2001 to 2006, said: "I don't think we would have even got to the starting stalls."

Despite supporting the end result, Thomas said that, from the outside, the board appeared to take too long to reach its decision.

"I just think it's taken far too long, but who am I to say?" Thomas said.

"I understand the scrutiny, assessment and the process you need to go through.

"I feel for guys like Andrew Thompson and Nathan Burke on the board as recently retired players. It's a tough decision.

"When you go through the board, there's not a hell of a lot of experience in relation to decisions such as this . . . a newly formed board, two recently retired players and pretty much supporters.

"The exercise has been drawn out for a long, long time and I'm sure the playing group would be elated it's all over.

"I'm sure Rooey (Nick Riewoldt) would have loved leading up to Ben Cousins as he came through the midfield, but I'm sure he'd be pretty happy with the teammates he's got around him."

Thomas said he supported the AFL's tough testing regimen on Cousins, revealing he had sent AFL boss Andrew Demetriou a letter of congratulations the morning after the conditions were announced.

"I haven't had a response, I might add, but I wouldn't expect one," Thomas said.

Demetriou and Thomas have had a strained relationship in the past, but Thomas said the AFL deserved credit.

"I think the sanctions were absolutely reasonable and no trouble to anyone if Ben was committed to playing AFL football again," he said.
Last edited by bigcarl on Wed 26 Nov 2008 12:06pm, edited 3 times in total.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

heard his interview last night

potted the club

it could only happen down there blah blah

"Personally, I'm pleased St Kilda has made the decision they have. I would like to see this playing group deliver on its own merits," he said.

don't you draft players each year

this group blah blah

it changes every year GRANT

saint4life
GrumpyOne

GT = Rent-A-Quote.

Minimal interest.

JeffDunne

GrumpyOne wrote:GT = Rent-A-Quote.
Umm . . . yes he does get paid for it.

And doesn't that fact piss off his haters. :lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

Thinking man's Sam Newman, with less charisma and only marginally more credibility.

savatage
SS Life Member

Why does anybody still give a f*** what Grant Thomas says anyway? What relevance does his opinion have to anything?

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

GT = god bothering toss bag.

CV = 0 premierships. 0 Grand finals

yet still has a big mouth. Less succesful than the following current coaches:

M Malthouse
Choco Williams
A Clarkson
D LAidley (premiership player)
Bomber Thompson
Woosha
Ratten (premiership player)
Lethal * (just departed)
M Harvey (2 x premiership player)
T Wallace ( 3 x Premiership player)
D Bailey (premiership assistant)
M Voss 3 x premierships player)
P Roos
R Eade (3 x premiership player)
R Lyon (premiership assistant)

In fact of current coaches - aside from matty knights (who is only very young) GT would be the least credentialed of all of them yet he has

THE BIGGEST MOUTH
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 26 Nov 2008 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:Why does anybody still give a f*** what Grant Thomas says anyway? What relevance does his opinion have to anything?
Why does Caroline Wilson's?

Why does Mike Sheahan's?

Why does the opinion of any other paid footy reporter/journo/writer/gossiper/ex-player etc. etc. have any relevance?

He's played. He's coached. He's been on a Board. He's been a selector.

I'd say his views on footy are far more valuable then many out there.

markp
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
GrumpyOne wrote:GT = Rent-A-Quote.
Umm . . . yes he does get paid for it.

And doesn't that fact piss off his haters. :lol:
Were you really laughing when you wrote that, or is the little laughing man there for effect?

milney044
Club Player

I'd be more interested to hear what a garden gnome has to say on the matter..
The decision is made, and as much as it pains me not to see Benny in the #9 red white and black guernsey in 2009..what is done is done.
The lack of detail given by the club as to why it came to this decision leads me to believe there is a lot more to it than we supporters will ever have the right to know.
15 other clubs said no to an All Australian Premiership player, 15 other clubs couldn't do with a Brownlow Medalist?
Instead of feeling hard done by maybe consider this, there was obviously something major all 16 clubs in the AFL were against, such a risk that no one in the AFL thought worth taking (excluding perhaps Michael Voss?).
The main issue is the fact that we took until the last minute to back down, and i hope that it was with very good reason, i believe it must have been.

Cancelling memberships :roll: FICKLE.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote: 15 other clubs said no to an All Australian Premiership player, 15 other clubs couldn't do with a Brownlow Medalist?
15 other clubs also said no to Gardiner, and about 6 other rejects on our list.

I hardly think that is a good gauge to this or Cousins' worth. Although it seems to be a popular line at the moment.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
milney044 wrote: 15 other clubs said no to an All Australian Premiership player, 15 other clubs couldn't do with a Brownlow Medalist?

I hardly think that is a good gauge to this or Cousins' worth. Although it seems to be a popular line at the moment.
To compare BC's circumstances to the other "rejects" is farcical Rodge.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
JeffDunne

markp wrote:Were you really laughing when you wrote that, . . .
Umm . . . IIRC . . . yes, yes I was.

Why do you ask?

milney044
Club Player

It is relevant when speaking of Ben Cousins, a player ANY member of ANY team would kill to have on their list. To have 16 clubs, many of which not even pose an interest and a club like Collingwood in a similar situation to us back down i personally find relevant. Everyone has different opinions on the matter and imo i find it bizarre that 15 clubs are not interested in a superstar like Cousins.
We would be crazy to refuse a midfielder of this caliber when we are so lacking in this department. Our club, believe it or not, would be fully aware of this and to knock back Ben i feel there must be more to it.
That's just my opinion, and it counts for very little but there you have it.

(er, lost the quote button :wink: )
Last edited by milney044 on Wed 26 Nov 2008 11:00am, edited 1 time in total.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why?

savatage
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
savatage wrote:Why does anybody still give a f*** what Grant Thomas says anyway? What relevance does his opinion have to anything?

Why does Mike Sheahan's?

Why does the opinion of any other paid footy reporter/journo/writer/gossiper/ex-player etc. etc. have any relevance?

Last time I checked they were journalists & therefore are paid to give an opinion & write reports. Grant Thomas was given the arse for being incompetent.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

milney044 wrote:It is relevant when speaking of Ben Cousins, a player ANY member of ANY team would kill to have on their list. To have 16 clubs, many of which not even pose an interest and a club like Collingwood in a similar situation to us back down i personally find relevant. Everyone has different opinions on the matter and imo i find it bizarre that 15 clubs are not interested in a superstar like Cousins.
We would be crazy to refuse a midfielder of this caliber when we are so lacking in this department. Our club, believe it or not, would be fully aware of this and to knock back Ben i feel there must be more to it.
That's just my opinion, and it counts for very little but there you have it.

(er, lost the quote button :wink: )
I'd suggest that at 30, he wouldn't fit probably 12 club's 'list planning strategy' criteria for a start.

That's not bizarre. He's 30, and hasn't played footy for a long time.

Not many club wanted Aker either, due to his age and their situation.

Brownlow Medallist, triple flag player - yet 15 clubs didn't want him.

It's not that odd for clubs to baulk at good players in their 30s.

It's just odd that we did, seeing as recruiting aging discards clearly isn't an issue for us!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why does Mike Sheahan's?

Last time I checked they were journalists & therefore are paid to give an opinion & write reports. Grant Thomas was given the arse for being incompetent.
Last time I checked Thomas was paid to give his views on footy too.

SENsei
Saintsational Legend

He's gone.

Move on.

Poster formerly known as SENsaintsational. More wisdom. More knowledge. Less name.
savatage
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
savatage wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why does Mike Sheahan's?

I do recall him getting fired after masquarading as a journalist for a little while before his mouth got him in trouble but that's about it.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why?
Because the other "rejects" did not come with the same baggage (except perhaps MG) as BC does. I thought that would be blindingly obvious.

So what's your position. Should we have taken him?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

savatage wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
savatage wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why does Mike Sheahan's?

I do recall him getting fired after masquarading as a journalist for a little while before his mouth got him in trouble but that's about it.
Isn't he on the radio?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why?
Because the other "rejects" did not come with the same baggage (except perhaps MG) as BC does. I thought that would be blindingly obvious.

The same baggage? What's that? Premiership player? All-Australian? Brownlow Medal?

Nice baggage to have.

markp
Saintsational Legend

JeffDunne wrote:
markp wrote:Were you really laughing when you wrote that, . . .
Umm . . . IIRC . . . yes, yes I was.

Why do you ask?
Was it a nasally machine-gun giggle, a deep santa-like belly laugh, or just a knowing little chuckle to yourself?...

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:

Why?

The same baggage? What's that? Premiership player? All-Australian? Brownlow Medal?

Nice baggage to have.
You know what I'm refering to. Recovering addict, association with underworld figures etc.

Smart@arse...

On the one hand you ridicule the club for taking rejects... then you ridicule them for not taking rejects.

Where did I say that?
:roll: