Open both eyes!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ctqs
Club Player

Open both eyes!

The bloke wasn't right to play. He, through his manager, said the terms of his return to the game were too tough, and he initially baulked. If that didn't set alarm bells ringing in the last week or so, then, sorry, but you are plain dumb.
He was still associating with characters who, at best, were regarded as not in his best interests. That was another reason for concern.
Then there was his stupid act of shaving/cutting his hair so a sample couldn't be taken. That was ridiculous at best, and had the potential to compromise the testing regime at worst.
He may not have liked it, but tough. He was not in a position to negotiate the terms of his return. He just didn't get it. Time passed, the clock kept ticking, but he was showing little sign of recovery or even contrition. He should have been grateful and gracious about the opportunity to prove himself again. His actions - and lack of words - showed he was anything but.
The club made the right call, and I am relieved.
Footy First means just that. No distractions. No bracing yourself for something, or jumping at shadows, or cleaning up messes.
Yeah he could play football once. He may still be able to. But he has to prove himself off the field before he gets the chance to prove himself on it.
You wouldn't buy a second-hand car, no matter how nice it once was or how good it looked, if you weren't sure as to its reliability, would you?

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
plumtire
Club Player

Open both eyes!

TOP POST!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I wonder if we should have done a 'simulated press conference' with him?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Re: Open both eyes!

ctqs wrote: You wouldn't buy a second-hand car, no matter how nice it once was or how good it looked, if you weren't sure as to its reliability, would you?
If it was a rare old Porsche that had been in storage and was going for a song I would.

All the money I've made through investments has been when I've said "F*** it, no one else can see what a bargain this is..."

When I bought shares that everyone said would do well, they sank.

We needed to take a gamble to try and bridge the gap between us and the top 2....

ctqs
Club Player

markp wrote:
ctqs wrote: You wouldn't buy a second-hand car, no matter how nice it once was or how good it looked, if you weren't sure as to its reliability, would you?
If it was a rare old Porsche that had been in storage and was going for a song I would.

All the money I've made through investments has been when I've said "F*** it, no one else can see what a bargain this is..."

We needed to take a gamble to try and bridge the gap between us and the top 2....
Lots of people are talking about the need to take a gamble to bridge the gap. WTF? What gambles have any of the past recent premiership teams taken? Bugger all. They play the percentages big time. We just need a bit of luck with injuries - often the team that wins the flag has the smallest injury list - and a bit more mongrel - because again, the team that often wins the flag has the most mongrel.
IF we're going to take a risk - and I don't think we need to - it has to be calculated. We don't need a bloke who's not right to play FFS!
Last edited by ctqs on Wed 26 Nov 2008 3:58pm, edited 1 time in total.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

ctqs wrote:The bloke wasn't right to play. He, through his manager, said the terms of his return to the game were too tough, and he initially baulked. If that didn't set alarm bells ringing in the last week or so, then, sorry, but you are plain dumb.
He was still associating with characters who, at best, were regarded as not in his best interests. That was another reason for concern.
Then there was his stupid act of shaving/cutting his hair so a sample couldn't be taken. That was ridiculous at best, and had the potential to compromise the testing regime at worst.
He may not have liked it, but tough. He was not in a position to negotiate the terms of his return. He just didn't get it. Time passed, the clock kept ticking, but he was showing little sign of recovery or even contrition. He should have been grateful and gracious about the opportunity to prove himself again. His actions - and lack of words - showed he was anything but.
Footy First means just that. No distractions. No bracing yourself for something, or jumping at shadows, or cleaning up messes.
Yeah he could play football once. He may still be able to. But he has to prove himself off the field before he gets the chance to prove himself on it.
You wouldn't buy a second-hand car, no matter how nice it once was or how good it looked, if you weren't sure as to its reliability, would you?
rubbish post. you can never be sure of the reliability of a used car. there is always risk. thats why we have lemon laws and sometimes you get a rubbish car is there is nothing you can do about it - send sometime you get a gem. the world is full of risks. It is about risk assessment and then making a judgement on that risk.

some people on here think the risk was worth it - some dont. but i aint black and white and it aint over.

just remember old benny boy when we watch leigh fisher trundling around at casey next year.

my logic is very simple and as follows:

% chance person A will be a good player - 40%
% chance person B will be a good player - 5%

I would select person A.

IMHO BC is person A and Leigh Fisher or some kid we pick at 96 in the draft would be person B.
Last edited by Con Gorozidis on Wed 26 Nov 2008 4:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

sainteronline

markp wrote:

spot on

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
ctqs wrote:The bloke wasn't right to play. He, through his manager, said the terms of his return to the game were too tough, and he initially baulked. If that didn't set alarm bells ringing in the last week or so, then, sorry, but you are plain dumb.
rubbish post. you can never be sure of the reliability of a used car. there is always risk. thats why we have lemon laws and sometimes you get a rubbish car is there is nothing you can do about it - send sometime you get a gem. the world is full of risks. It is about risk assessment and then making a judgement on that risk.

some people on here think the risk was worth it - some dont. but i aint black and white and it aint over.

just remember old benny boy when we watch leigh fisher trundling around at casey next year.
So it's therefore reasonable to say that the club ran the proverbial RACV 500 point pre-purchase inspection... but then decided they'd prefer a new model instead?

Checkmate :shock:
Last edited by WayneJudson42 on Wed 26 Nov 2008 4:04pm, edited 1 time in total.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Saints43
Club Player

ctqs wrote:Lots of people are talking about the need to take a gamble to bridge the gap. WTF? What gambles have any of the past recent premiership teams taken?
Hawthorn. Stuart Dew.

sainteronline

Saints43 wrote:
ctqs wrote:Lots of people are talking about the need to take a gamble to bridge the gap. WTF? What gambles have any of the past recent premiership teams taken?
Hawthorn. Stuart Dew. Last year.
maybe guerra to ?

savatage
SS Life Member

ctqs wrote:
markp wrote:

Lots of people are talking about the need to take a gamble to bridge the gap. WTF? What gambles have any of the past recent premiership teams taken?
Stewart Dew, Brent Guerra...Lance Franklin was a supposed risk too! Need we go on?

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

savatage wrote:
ctqs wrote:
markp wrote:

Lots of people are talking about the need to take a gamble to bridge the gap. WTF? What gambles have any of the past recent premiership teams taken?
Stewart Dew, Brent Guerra...Lance Franklin was a supposed risk too! Need we go on?
WTF? Dew... I agree. Guerra was drafted to fil a role (but never had the same issues as BC)... Franklin was a 1st rounder FFS...

Need we go on?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

sensible post......as usual.... :wink: :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Legendary
Club Player

Great post ctqs.

Spot on.

savatage
SS Life Member

WayneJudson42 wrote:
savatage wrote:
ctqs wrote:
markp wrote:

WTF? Dew... I agree. Guerra was drafted to fil a role (but never had the same issues as BC)... Franklin was a 1st rounder FFS...

Need we go on?
The question was about risks - Lance Franklin had the reputation as being a RISK. Get it?

Legendary
Club Player

Drafting Lance Franklin was not a risk.

Not in the context of Ben Cousins.

Not when you are on the bottom of the ladder and needing young players like Hawthorn were.

How was it a risk in any sense?

Dew was the only risk Hawthorn took and it paid off. But can anyone seriously say it was comparable to Cousins and the present situation?

savatage
SS Life Member

Legendary wrote:Drafting Lance Franklin was not a risk.
Well it obviously was a risk if you consider that 4 poorer performing players were accepted above him in his draft year. I'm not comparing Lance Franklin as a Ben Cousins risk - but if you stay on topic, the question was which risk decisions have bought a football club closer to a flag...in Hawthorn's case they took several risks. That is my point - not comparing Ben Cousins to Lance Franklin.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote: Dew was the only risk Hawthorn took and it paid off. But can anyone seriously say it was comparable to Cousins and the present situation?
Tell me again what the big risk was?

If he farks up... he's gone.

Methinks this was a political decision to keep the sponsors happy.

Legendary
Club Player

And markp, were you prepared to contribute $1.5m out of your own pocket to replace Jeld-Wen's sponsorship next year?

Or would you like to see the club insolvent and go under?

I understand your point savatage ... what I'm saying is that Franklin was NOT a risk at all ... Hawthorn took some risks to win a flag, yes. But Franklin was not one of them IMO. About as much risk as Melbourne drafting Jack Watts on Saturday to play in their next premiership.

markp
Saintsational Legend

Legendary wrote:And markp, were you prepared to contribute $1.5m out of your own pocket to replace Jeld-Wen's sponsorship next year?

Or would you like to see the club insolvent and go under?
No.

Yes.

kaos theory
Club Player

A rare old porsche is not a human being that can hide things from you. You can inspect the porsche and have a pretty good idea of what work needs to be done, and at what cost to get it right.

You will not face a significant risk that your rare old porsche will sneak out of your garage at night on its own and cause massive distruction, which you will be forced to pay, and pay so much that it completely distupts your family & plans for the future, and your steady flow of income...

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:I wonder if we should have done a 'simulated press conference' with him?
it would have been a good idea for BEN to do an interview with more than 10 questions- pre worded and with a group- maybe just 3 or 4 giving him questions-- he hasn't- unless I'm mistaken and missed it- DONE any form of media conferance where he did more than read from prescribed--

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
markp
Saintsational Legend

kaos theory wrote:

A rare old porsche is not a human being that can hide things from you. You can inspect the porsche and have a pretty good idea of what work needs to be done, and at what cost to get it right.

You will not face a significant risk that your rare old porsche will sneak out of your garage at night on its own and cause massive distruction, which you will be forced to pay, and pay so much that it completely distupts your family & plans for the future, and your steady flow of income...

Firstly, I didn't initiate the car analogy....

Secondly, what if you couldn't fully inspect the Porsche but it was very very cheap?

Thirdly, if he slipped up once he'd be gone....

Fourthly, what do the sponsors get to decide next?.... Our game-plan? Match-ups? Board members? CEO?....

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="ctqs"] You wouldn't buy a second-hand car, no matter how nice it once was or how good it looked, if you weren't sure as to its reliability, would you?[/quote]

I would certainly buy a maybe unreliable second hand Ferrari than buy a pick 83 put-put bike.
Pick 63 buys a Phil Raymond, pick 71 buys a Justin Sweeney, pick 83 buys a list clogger.
Ben may be an unreliable Ferrari but at least he is a Ferrari with a Ferrari engine, pick 83 list clogger hasn't even got an engine - unreliabiltiy guaranteed.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Now that Brisbane think they can wait and take Cousins in the pre-season draft, we can fool everyone and take him with pick 83. :wink: :wink: :wink:

Imagine the shock on Voss face. :P :P :P

He who dares wins.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.