The Bottom Line...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

The Bottom Line...

Ok, so we now have to live with the fact that IMHO the club blew a golden opportunity to move us closer to the ultimate prize..

So...moving forward....How can/will we bridge the (very large) gap that exists between us and the last two premiership teams?.

(please PLEASE dont put down as one of the ways is to draft well this year, as 13 other clubs are in a better position to do that anyway)

undecided
Club Player

Jack Steven wining the NAB Rising Star, Eddy, Geary, Allen and McEvoy taking it to the next level

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:Jack Steven wining the NAB Rising Star, Eddy, Geary, Allen and McEvoy taking it to the next level
I hope you're right, but that not one of them has showed anything consistant at senior level thus far is a little concerning.

Steven hasn't had a chance; ironically he seems to be the one most are excited about, and with good reason. He certainly seems a player. Let's hope he steps up - and that he's joined by some others.

Apologies for the lack of enthusiasm. It's just hard to think Clint Jones will be the one going forward delivering the ball to Riewoldt - instead of Ben Cousins.

:shock:
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 26 Nov 2008 3:44pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

undecided wrote:Jack Steven wining the NAB Rising Star, Eddy, Geary, Allen and McEvoy taking it to the next level
i think those lads will have to progress a few levels to have any significant impact in 09.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
i think those lads will have to progress a few levels to have any significant impact in 09.
It's called development...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Hmmm,

Well if this response is any indication, then i guess NO-ONE knows how we are supposed to bridge the gap :roll:

If only there was some way we could get our hands on an experienced brownlow medal winning, premiership player, who can run all day and deliver the ball lace out to our forwards....

Where oh where could we find one of those.. :roll: :roll: :roll:

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:Hmmm,

Well if this response is any indication, then i guess NO-ONE knows how we are supposed to bridge the gap :roll:

If only there was some way we could get our hands on an experienced brownlow medal winning, premiership player, who can run all day and deliver the ball lace out to our forwards....

Does he need to be drug-free,
Or will you accept anyone as long as he has those attributes?

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Bottom Line...

tweedaletomanning wrote:Ok, so we now have to live with the fact that IMHO the club blew a golden opportunity to move us closer to the ultimate prize..

So...moving forward....How can/will we bridge the (very large) gap that exists between us and the last two premiership teams?.

(please PLEASE dont put down as one of the ways is to draft well this year, as 13 other clubs are in a better position to do that anyway)
Get some great honest recruits

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:

Are you saying that he is NOT drug free????

Better be able to back up that statement with FACTS...

If the AFL granted him licence to play.... I would say he's available..."SUIT HIM UP SCOTTY"

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Moccha wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Ok, so we now have to live with the fact that IMHO the club blew a golden opportunity to move us closer to the ultimate prize..

From where?????

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I wouldn't have a clue if he is or isn't.

What statement? I didn't make a statement - I asked you a question.
If the AFL granted him licence to play.... I would say he's available..."SUIT HIM UP SCOTTY"
This is the same AFL who didn't manage to get a 'positive test' from him when he was addicted?

Does that mean he was 'drug free' when he played in 2006/2007?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

I wouldn't have a clue if he is or isn't.

What statement? I didn't make a statement - I asked you a question.
This is the same AFL who didn't manage to get a 'positive test' from him when he was addicted?

Does that mean he was 'drug free' when he played in 2006/2007?
I get what you are saying, but i'm saying NOW he will have stringent requirements put on him.

Do you NOT think the REWARD is worth the risk?

If NOT then we will have to agree to disagree. :)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

We agree to disagree. I think there are other players involved here who may not necessarily want the result you are looking and hoping for.

uncle joe
Club Player

12 months ago I imagine there were plenty of Hawthorn people wondering " how do we bridge the gap ? "

Never , ever , give up !!!!!

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

uncle joe wrote:12 months ago I imagine there were plenty of Hawthorn people wondering " how do we bridge the gap ? "

Never , ever , give up !!!!!
Yep that was 12 months ago...

Now clubs face losing premiership points over the matter...

Times have changed IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Saints94
SS Life Member

Jack Steven will be a star

dan the saints fan
Club Player

cousins

if anyone here listens to 3aw in the morning on wed they would here sly of the underworld . From his words this morning the reason why cousins was in melb in last week or so was not footy related but sighted at a certain bandido bikies gangs funeral . Is this the sort of player we won t at our club yes gardiner was involved to but was smart enought to go . You would think in rehab you would be maybe told to stay away from those that got u into trouble in the first place . Maybe this was a certain reason why many clubs overlooked cousins for if he is still associating with bikes what chance has he got of truly getting himnself right

robert harvey the man the legend
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote: I get what you are saying, but i'm saying NOW he will have stringent requirements put on him.
He had strigent requirements placed on him yet the guy went and shaved all his hair off - what does that tell you about Cousin's attitude
tweedaletomanning wrote:Do you NOT think the REWARD is worth the risk?
Not if it means losing our MAJOR sponsor especially with a supposed global recession looming

If we ended up losing our MAJOR sponsor because Cousins falls off the wagon then the club could be well and truly farked!!!!!

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
santazzi
Club Player

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Con Gorozidis wrote:
It's called development...
The problem with develpment, while absolutely necessary, is that, one needs a lot of luck for players at different stages of development to pick at the sme time to become a champion team.

Otherwise it is the old sad story that a few champions peak and fade while others follow them and only to peak and fade.....repeating the etenal cycle of frustration which we as a club are so cruelly familiar with...

Once in a while opportunity opens its doors to a club in one form or another to force enough of its members to peak at the same time( by filling gaps in strength) to lead the club to glory.........I think Ben was such an opprtunity to our club. I also believe that the down side to the club if he relapsed has been over played to a level of hysteria. A club gives a man a second chance, a fair go.....for which it should be comended for its very Australian act........if the man stuffs up ....so what ...he marches off and the club goes on.....

SAINT JUMP
Club Player

get over bc, sick of every post going back to the bc etc etc. its finished gone, move on.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

How about a potential Brownlow medalist who can run all day and deliver the ball lace up? Like BJ.

I'll see your 3 :roll: :roll: :roll: and raise you 2 :wink: :wink: and a :lol:

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

tweedaletomanning wrote:
Moccha wrote:

From where?????
Geez I don't know... maybe the draft!

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="undecided"]Jack Steven wining the NAB Rising Star, Eddy, Geary, Allen and McEvoy taking it to the next level[/quote]

I have seen enough of Eddy, Geary and Allen. They may turn into solid contributors but they will never be superstars who can break a game open. Neither will young kids picked at draft picks 74 and 83.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Yes that would be a couple of years ago, he turns 31 next year, how sure are you that he still has it???

So you think the Clubs 5 months of investigation and interviews weigh up to anything??

You "bridge the gap" by recruiting youth just like Geelong and the Hawks..

The Saints have already recruited enough senior players from other clubs IMO

King, Gardiner, Dempster, Schidner...

all of these players are premiership players....

there comes a time that you have to stop that and look at the young, more so with such a deep draft this year IMO...

If the Club decided to go for Cousins, that would have meant some of our players would have to take a pay cut, hardly a good start for Cousins in fitting in IMO...

It would have been a big gamble and I am grateful the Club had balls to say NO...

Far too much risk for a possible gain IMO

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Also...

If he was truly serious, just why didn't he play for Port Melbourne or a local West Australian side this year???

If he was truly honest, why did he shave his entire body and cut his hair so short, knowing weeks in advance that he was due for a hair sample and couldn't provide one??

He has only himself to blame IMO, as he could have done a lot more to prove himself, and turning 31 next year, with a strong draft, he NEEDED TO DO IT, IMO...

Arrogance at it's finest IMO...

Someone we don't need, more so at the cost of some players taking a pay cut...