Mini history of the Saints- St Kilda

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

onlooker
Club Player

[quote="PJ"]With the addition of our latest red head Lynchy perhaps people might

remember some stories of another firey red by the name of Alan Davis

Story - starting a puch up before the umps had even bounced the ball.

Launched into his opponent as soon as he arrived. Seriously agro player.

A Davis was a deceptive build. In his later times with StK he played forward and back including some stints at FF. I think for most of his playing career he would have weighed in at 13 stone plus although he looked a lot lighter. His agro moments are many but my favourite was probably a game against H'thorn, Davis playing in the midfield, the ball is bounced, Leigh Matthews charges at the ball, grabs it, turns and there is A Davis who has run in off about 5-6 metres and bang. Didn't try to tackle him, just shirtfronted him. They put Matthews down in their forward line for the rest of the game and that was the end of him for the day. I can't remember if StK won the game but at the time Matthews was a star and him out of action that day was a bonus.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

red haired saints
two mentioned then there was Jack Daniels

is one of the new rookies a red head?
and have there been many others

I know there have been plenty of blondes
I knew a player who I think cracked it for 1 maybe two games in the seniors and the gag at the time was that he was missing out because his hair was black.-- Roberts and Barker era.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Saints94
SS Life Member

saintbrat wrote:red haired saints
two mentioned then there was Jack Daniels

is one of the new rookies a red head?
and have there been many others

I know there have been plenty of blondes
I knew a player who I think cracked it for 1 maybe two games in the seniors and the gag at the time was that he was missing out because his hair was black.-- Roberts and Barker era.
And don't forget Tommy Lynch :wink:

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Redheads for the Saints..

Tony Delaney anyone?!

The Saints are coming!
PJ
SS Life Member

Dean Rice perhaps - a little strawberry blonde - turned blue :evil:

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

'Scratcher' Neale & Matthew Young spring to mind.

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Russman
Club Player

John Favier

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
Russman
Club Player

And Mark Gamble was a redhead as well.

Do , or Do not , There is no try.
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I've heard that our club is officially titled as The most unsuccessful professional sporting club in the world!
Has anybody else heard this? I have no evidence to dispute this claim, ...unfortunatly.
Maybe we should leave this out of our Mini history books. I mean...nobody really needs to know do they?

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

TriColourDisciple wrote:I've heard that our club is officially titled as The most unsuccessful professional sporting club in the world!
Has anybody else heard this? I have no evidence to dispute this claim, ...unfortunatly.
Maybe we should leave this out of our Mini history books. I mean...nobody really needs to know do they?
Not true - that sort of statement would only come from Carlscum or Collingwood derived media - jealous of our history to survive over so many years and being able to produce more champions than they have.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

There's no Question of our ability to produce champions over the years, however, as a team we have delivered very little.
I'm thinking that my above statement may well in fact be true, which I'm actually quite proud of. Why? Because it's testament to our strength of character, loyalty, passion & commitment as supporters. We could never be called bandwagoners or fairweather.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

PJ wrote:Does anyone recall a player by the name of James O'Dea?

Recall he had a mysterious encounter with a fella by the name of John Greening.

Don't think Collingwood will forget that one.

Jimmy never returned to himself after that.
My very first game actually...

I walked past the ambulance they were loading greening into as i was going in...scary stuff for a little tacker... :?

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

TriColourDisciple wrote:There's no Question of our ability to produce champions over the years, however, as a team we have delivered very little.
I'm thinking that my above statement may well in fact be true, which I'm actually quite proud of. Why? Because it's testament to our strength of character, loyalty, passion & commitment as supporters. We could never be called bandwagoners or fairweather.
Very true...if we were fair weather supporters...well...i guess we wouldn't exist.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

Club support staff

in noting that Kenny Whiffen is yet again supporting the team during each week and knowing he has been around since the 1960's when he was the runner.

are there other support staff that are reknowned around the club
or have longevity of service

I note that Peter Madden - property steward seems to have been there few years
and Dennis the trainer/ massuer - now infamous for having spent 3 days in a car with Milney- but also for being Harves rub down guy for 15 years.
Last edited by saintbrat on Mon 22 Dec 2008 12:10pm, edited 1 time in total.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
Batnoe wrote:we used to wear red black and yellow- but changed to white after WW1 and we looked like the Germans (our enemy at the time)
We wore red, black and white until the war years when we changed to yellow (the colours of an ally Belgum) to aviod having the same colours as the Nazis. We switched back to white after the war ended

BANG BANG
Close mate, but not quite right.

Yes we did change our colours to that of our ally Belgium, and also to acknowledge the patriotism of a few St Kilda players that were serving with the forces in Belgium.

The colours where changed during the First World War (1915), and not the Second World War (Nazi Germany and the Third Reich) Germany's flag back then was red, black and white, the German Empire back then was known as the Second Reich.

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
avid
Club Player

Thanks StFid for clearing up the right war.
We ended up wearing the same colours as the Nazi 3rd Reich (probably our WWI experience of changing back and forth just got too complicated).
The Nazis had great political graphics. Pity about the worst political morality ever.

On the colour red, probably our greatest and proudest redhead was No9 Ian Synman -- CHB in the '66 premiership side.

On Paul Callery at princes park, we were getting thrashed by the powerful Hawks (not unexpected as we had half our stars out injured, including Glen Elliot and Cowboy Neale). Just before half time, Paul Callery almost got killed in a collision at a centre bounce. Saints players we so angry and upset at seeing their tiniest player stretchered off to the ambulance that they rallied in the second half and scored one of the most heroic victories in our club's history. (Peter? Bell -- No13 -- reserves player promoted for the day -- absolutely creamed them with a million posessions in the second half. Russell Reynolds took a massive towering pack-mark specky, and there were successful headhunters aplenty.) It was a truly glorious day.

Anyhow, it turned out on that night's replays that it was Callery's own teammate, Gary Colling, who kneed him in the face as he crashed through the pack.

Probably my favourite victory ever (bar one), but it still gets me a little confused philosophically when I think about it.

tweedaletomanning
Club Player

avid wrote:Thanks StFid for clearing up the right war.
We ended up wearing the same colours as the Nazi 3rd Reich (probably our WWI experience of changing back and forth just got too complicated).
The Nazis had great political graphics. Pity about the worst political morality ever.

On the colour red, probably our greatest and proudest redhead was No9 Ian Synman -- CHB in the '66 premiership side.

On Paul Callery at princes park, we were getting thrashed by the powerful Hawks (not unexpected as we had half our stars out injured, including Glen Elliot and Cowboy Neale). Just before half time, Paul Callery almost got killed in a collision at a centre bounce. Saints players we so angry and upset at seeing their tiniest player stretchered off to the ambulance that they rallied in the second half and scored one of the most heroic victories in our club's history. (Peter? Bell -- No13 -- reserves player promoted for the day -- absolutely creamed them with a million posessions in the second half. Russell Reynolds took a massive towering pack-mark specky, and there were successful headhunters aplenty.) It was a truly glorious day.

Anyhow, it turned out on that night's replays that it was Callery's own teammate, Gary Colling, who kneed him in the face as he crashed through the pack.

Probably my favourite victory ever (bar one), but it still gets me a little confused philosophically when I think about it.
Didn't mick malthouse play a significant role in that victory?

casey scorp
Club Player

avid wrote:On Paul Callery at princes park, we were getting thrashed by the powerful Hawks (not unexpected as we had half our stars out injured, including Glen Elliot and Cowboy Neale). Just before half time, Paul Callery almost got killed in a collision at a centre bounce. Saints players we so angry and upset at seeing their tiniest player stretchered off to the ambulance that they rallied in the second half and scored one of the most heroic victories in our club's history. (Peter? Bell -- No13 -- reserves player promoted for the day -- absolutely creamed them with a million posessions in the second half. Russell Reynolds took a massive towering pack-mark specky, and there were successful headhunters aplenty.) It was a truly glorious day.

Round 12 1976 v Hawthorn @ Princes Park.

Saints down by 5 goals at half time, pulled back to 2 points down at 3/4 time, and won by 25 points.

Saints kicked 14.6.90 to 4.11.35 after half time.

Paul Callery missed the next 4 games.

Davo027
Club Player

Just a bit more for You:

The Saints' motto is 'Fortius Quo Fidelius', a Latin phrase meaning 'Strength Through Loyalty'.

During the First World War the club felt so embarrassed at accidentally having team colours which matched the flag of Imperial Germany that its players pinned Union Flags to their jumpers. Before the next season began in 1915, the club decided to change their colours from red, black and white to red, black and yellow, the colours of Australia's ally Belgium. However the war forced the Club into recess. After three years in recess St Kilda resumed in 1918, but did not return to the original colours until after 1920.

More info:

http://saints.com.au/History/AHistoryof ... fault.aspx

For more info www.saints.com.au

The above views are those of the author and not necessarily those of the clubs or the AFL.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Welcome back, Davo!

Where have you been hiding?