The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

I find this intriguing. A very interesting difference in club...well....culture. Although I'm loathe to use the term.

What we saw was our club, keeping it's fans in the dark completely. Doing it their way, and even when a decision was made they lied to the members.

Almost with contempt. The members were treated no different to the general public.

It was a mostly unpopular decision, however the club didn't really even bother to respond and stuck to their guns.

Then there's Richmond.

They too made an unpopular decision with their members. However appeared to put their cards on the table. Made it clear that they would take Cousins, but only with their second pick.

But that fell through, so they pulled out.

The members went feral. The club listened. Afterall, the Board are really only there as custodians of the club for the voting members.

Now it looks as though Richmond will get Cousins.

It was described generally in the papers as a huge coup for Richmond in a footy sense, but as slightly embarrassing from a Board sense.

It made me think - was it brave for the Board to be 'emabrrassed' and listen to their fans? Or would it have been braver for them to stand their ground?

Would you prefer to see your Board be 'brave' and save their own embarrassment whilst putting the on-field results in jeopardy?

chook23
Saintsational Legend

Re: The Richmond Situation Vs. Ours

rodgerfox wrote:I find this intriguing. A very interesting difference in club...well....culture. Although I'm loathe to use the term.

What we saw was our club, keeping it's fans in the dark completely. Doing it their way, and even when a decision was made they lied to the members.
Almost with contempt. The members were treated no different to the general public.

It was a mostly unpopular decision, however the club didn't really even bother to respond and stuck to their guns.

Then there's Richmond.

They too made an unpopular decision with their members. However appeared to put their cards on the table. Made it clear that they would take Cousins, but only with their second pick.

But that fell through, so they pulled out.

The members went feral. The club listened. Afterall, the Board are really only there as custodians of the club for the voting members.

Now it looks as though Richmond will get Cousins.

It was described generally in the papers as a huge coup for Richmond in a footy sense, but as slightly embarrassing from a Board sense.

It made me think - was it brave for the Board to be 'emabrrassed' and listen to their fans? Or would it have been braver for them to stand their ground?

Would you prefer to see your Board be 'brave' and save their own embarrassment whilst putting the on-field results in jeopardy?
absolute proof of this lie

please confirm info on this????

saint4life
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote: The members went feral. The club listened.
So Richmond is at the mercy of the whims of the ignorant horde of supporters?

Do you find this a worthy attribute?

Hmmmmmm

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Saints94
SS Life Member

We all had a big skits but did the club change there mind NO! :x

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Hmmmmmm
Not neccessarily.

Although I think it's a interesting question to pose.

Some would see the Richmond decision exactly as you've described above.

Others may see it as a very brave move by a Board who quite clearly isn't worried about their own 'embarrassment'. Or is that infact the problem - did they only have a change of heart to protect themselves from the masses??

Then there's us. Was it brave to succumb to sponsor pressure like many in the know believe to be the case?

Is it brave to put off-field circumstances ahead of on-field?

Ralphy
Saintsational Legend

i cant wait to see cousins vs judd again :P

Saint Mik
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Hmmmmmm
At least the members feel like part of the club unlike mushrooms at Moorabbin.

I wish our members showed the passion like they did, the members were the ones that made it happen BC to Tigers, it reminds me of the Roo's coaching the Swans debacle, the members got that one over the line and look at the result, its all if's and but's and if we had a crack at our board (footy first mind you) it might just of happened for us also but we will never know because us mushrooms just let things happen at the Saints.

So do you find that a worthy attribute?

Hmmmmm

Forget the past, Saints footy, One better in 2010
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

I wonder when Archie Fraser said something along the lines of "he'd be good for another club" when we decided not to draft Cousins, if he had Richmond in mind as one of those clubs?

And if so, why? And if not, why not?

I really wonder what he meant by that comment.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote:it reminds me of the Roo's coaching the Swans debacle, the members got that one over the line and look at the result,
That's a very good point.

Saint Mik
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Saint Mik wrote:it reminds me of the Roo's coaching the Swans debacle, the members got that one over the line and look at the result,
That's a very good point.
So why do we just accept what our club does, its not like they have a fantastic record :roll:

I just think the risk on BC was worth the reward for the club.

I thought there must of been more to it on BC's behalf for not getting a gig anywhere but if the Tigers can take him then why not others, it also makes sence to take BC for the Tigers as they have no major sponsor sticking the point of views where they are not needed.

Footy first more like finances first, isnt that the reason we got rid of the last board members :roll:

AH WELL SUCH IS LIFE 8-)

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Others may see it as a very brave move by a Board who quite clearly isn't worried about their own 'embarrassment'. Or is that infact the problem - did they only have a change of heart to protect themselves from the masses??
Was the boards decision at the Saints influenced by the coach?

Our coach is fairly autonomous and his recommendations would be taken on board (excuse the pun) by the board.

Terry Wallace is a lame duck coach. Gary March has cut the legs out from under him, will not extend his contract, and has appointed Sheedy, who by the sounds of it, was instrumental in getting Cousins to Richmond.

I think it is really comparing apples to oranges.

Oh BTW I really hope Cousins does well. I will be a disaster for AFL if he hasn't overcome his drug addiction and is not sorted out health wise.

I really hope against hope that he doesn't relapse and plays good footy again.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Saint Mik wrote: At least the members feel like part of the club unlike mushrooms at Moorabbin.

I wish our members showed the passion like they did, the members were the ones that made it happen BC to Tigers, it reminds me of the Roo's coaching the Swans debacle, the members got that one over the line and look at the result, its all if's and but's and if we had a crack at our board (footy first mind you) it might just of happened for us also but we will never know because us mushrooms just let things happen at the Saints.

Hmmmmm
For a start it was the players at the Swans not the supporters who wouldn't know who the coach was.

Secondly if you dont like the current admin you have a vote.

Didn't we do that last year?

And if you are a mushroom, it is your own fault.

Mabye we should also dump truck loads of chicken s.hit at the club when they lose and also spit on the coach as well. Other worthy Richmond attributes, I am sure whingers like you would look up to.

Lance or James??

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:I wonder when Archie Fraser said something along the lines of "he'd be good for another club" when we decided not to draft Cousins, if he had Richmond in mind as one of those clubs?

And if so, why? And if not, why not?

I really wonder what he meant by that comment.
Go ask him...

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Mabye we should also dump truck loads of chicken s.hit at the club when they lose and also spit on the coach as well. Other worthy Richmond attributes, I am sure whingers like you would look up to.
I wouldn't get too high and mighty about Richmond fan's behaviour.

I'd reckon that GT would have preferred a mere spitting on compared to the sort of personal venom directed towards him and his family throughout his tenure at the club - and beyond it.

The Saints fans are as bad as any. The difference probably being that alot of Saints fans are mindless sheep, whereas other clubs' members stand up and make their point.

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

Well said Joffaboy -GOLD

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
sainteronline

chook23 wrote:
absolute proof of this lie

please confirm info on this????
I have proof

undisputable proof

unfortunately

yes that's right you guessed it

its

"Confidential information"

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:.

I'd reckon that GT would have preferred a mere spitting on compared to the sort of personal venom directed towards him and his family throughout his tenure at the club - and beyond it.

GT's gone. Move on.

Lance or James??

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

I wouldn't get too high and mighty about Richmond fan's behaviour.

The Saints fans are as bad as any. The difference probably being that alot of Saints fans are mindless sheep, whereas other clubs' members stand up and make their point.
Mate, your repitious accusations, posts and name calling are becoming as tedious and as boring as B4E's.

So tell us "sheep" oh great leader of men... when have you stood uo the club, and what positive moves have you made?

All we see are baseless accusations.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:.

GT's gone. Move on.
Touche'.

The Saintsational Man
Club Player

I am just happy the man is back doing what he does best, playing football.

.....well maybe second best, he's fairly good at partying as well :wink:

JK.....hope he gets back to the top.

Good work by Richmond having the balls to give him another go.

Will be interesting if we play them next year and he gets 40 in a 10 goal belting!!!

The forum will be going nuts!!!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:

Hmmmmmm
Thank you JB..couldnt have said it better myself

Once again rodgerfox rushes in on his great white steed...when theres soemthing to grizzle about or optimism to be hosed down :roll:

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
joffaboy wrote:

Hmmmmmm
Thank you JB..couldnt have said it better myself

Once again rodgerfox rushes in on his great white steed...when theres soemthing to grizzle about or optimism to be hosed down :roll:
I'm prepared to start a collection on Saintsational to buy him a Tiger's Membership so he can enjoy watching footy with like-minded' fans to himself?

I'm pretty sure his Fox Report would be more than welcomed at Tiggerland?

Saint Mik
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:
Saint Mik wrote: At least the members feel like part of the club unlike mushrooms at Moorabbin.

Hmmmmm
For a start it was the players at the Swans not the supporters who wouldn't know who the coach was.

BOTH PLAYERS AND MEMBERS HAD A SAY IN IT

Secondly if you dont like the current admin you have a vote.

YEP AND I THOUGHT I WAS GETTING FOOTY FIRST, ISNT BC A CHAMPION FOOTBALL PLAYER THAT WOULD OF REPLACED BANGER.

Didn't we do that last year?

YOU BECOME A MUSHROOM WHEN THE BOARD MEMBERS LISTEN TO THE SPONSORS BEFORE THE MEMBERS WHO PAY UP YEAR IN YEAR OUT, I HAVE NO CHOICE IN THAT ONE IF THE BOARD WILL NOT LISTEN TO ITS MEMBERS

Mabye we should also dump truck loads of chicken s.hit at the club when they lose and also spit on the coach as well. Other worthy Richmond attributes, I am sure whingers like you would look up to

NO BUT I THINK US MEMBERS DO HAVE A RIGHT TO HAVE A WHINGE AT OUR CLUB FROM TIME TO TIME, YOU JUST KEEP PUTTING UP WITH THE SAME OLD DECISIONS THAT THIS CLUB MAKES..
I just think that the Tigers deserve a pat on the back and we deserve what we get because once again we missed another opportunity.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

The day our members can display enough intelligence to make unemotional, rational decisions...

have the courage to make long term decisions that are best for the club...

be prepared to keep faith in the coach if we're 5-6 mid-saeson...

not threaten to rip up their meberships because a player wasn't drafted...

is the day the board should start to listen to them. IMO.

I voted for them to do their job. Now I'm happy to let them do it as they see fit. When the next vote comes along, then I will exercise my right as a member and vote accordingly.

sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote: I voted for them to do their job. Now I'm happy to let them do it as they see fit. When the next vote comes along, then I will exercise my right as a member and vote accordingly.
so let's all just sit on our hands

and keep quiet

i'm pretty sure that's the attitude that Fitzroy supporters had