Rookies Draft live talk: Saints take seven rookies

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Sam McGarry

DOB: 21/04/90
Height: 186cm
Weight: 77kg
Club: Sandringham Dragons

An agile defender with good ball-winning ability and high work rate, McGarry was a Vic Metro under-18 representative in 2008. From St Peter's FC.

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69346

Another Sandringham Dragons boy - one of Tom Lynch's former teammates!

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
busso mick
Club Player

saintDal wrote:
Love the nickname. Choo Choo :)
Son of G Train :P

Saints94
SS Life Member

saintDal
Club Player

Mcgarry in action.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

(BF Snoop Dog)

Steve Gaertner(Dandenong / 198, 86)

Went hard on this kid getting up last year and he missed out. I think the big issue was his kicking because outside of that he is very promising type. This year his skills have improved markedly. Year was ok for him and he mainly played across HB line as well as up on the wing. Had a super finals series and clubs will see his agility at 198cm as extremely attractive. Can have stints in the ruck and go fwd but I think he will settle at CHB in league footy. Might be a good match up for Buddy one day.
:shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 16 Dec 2008 12:12pm, edited 1 time in total.

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Richter wrote:Sam McGarry

DOB: 21/04/90
Height: 186cm
Weight: 77kg
Club: Sandringham Dragons

An agile defender with good ball-winning ability and high work rate, McGarry was a Vic Metro under-18 representative in 2008. From St Peter's FC.

http://afl.com.au/tabid/208/default.aspx?newsid=69346

Another Sandringham Dragons boy - one of Tom Lynch's former teammates!
Good to see another St Peters boy at the Club...

My old club and Luke Beverage's old Club

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

(BF Snoop Dog)

St Kilda – Sam McGarry (Sandringham / 186, 77)

I like this kid a lot.......... Super size for a HBF / wing. One touch and reads the game very well. Think he could play a variety of spots at AFL level so will be interested to see where he lands. :shock:

No Contract, No Contact :shock:
True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:Gaertner... Meh...

I'm really disappointed we didn't go Deboer first round and Pearce second round...
My thoughts exactly. Nobody else would have taken Dawson & Howard - so why not leave them until the last 2 "live" picks? IMO, the re-drafting of Howard is pretty useless anyway, I don't think he has what it takes to play regular AFL footy. Fingers crossed he can develop though.

The Saints are coming!
spiral2
Club Player

True Blue Sainter wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Gaertner... Meh...

I'm really disappointed we didn't go Deboer first round and Pearce second round...
My thoughts exactly. Nobody else would have taken Dawson & Howard - so why not leave them until the last 2 "live" picks? IMO, the re-drafting of Howard is pretty useless anyway, I don't think he has what it takes to play regular AFL footy. Fingers crossed he can develop though.
seems a little odd, seems to have a long way to go to be anything more than an average player. also we seemed to have picked up a few similar running types this year so it won't be easy for him to keep his spot if these guys kick on.

milney044
Club Player

Not happy we re-drafted Howard. Time for some new blood, he's been around for a while now with very little games. Then again i would have said goodbye to McQualter and L.Fisher too. We really need to start breeding some youngsters or we're going to fall behind.
I expect very big years from these 3, otherwise they've taken up valuable space. C'mon, silence the doubters in '09.

Good luck to the new recruits from this years draft. Keep the Saints alive in 2009.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
goodie
Club Player

milney044 wrote:Not happy we re-drafted Howard. Time for some new blood, he's been around for a while now with very little games. Then again i would have said goodbye to McQualter and L.Fisher too. We really need to start breeding some youngsters or we're going to fall behind.
I expect very big years from these 3, otherwise they've taken up valuable space. C'mon, silence the doubters in '09.

Good luck to the new recruits from this years draft. Keep the Saints alive in 2009.
Pretty sure we re-drafted him for the same reasons we re-drafted McQualter last year, it was either pay out their contract or rookie them.

LTN16
SS Hall of Fame

Steven Gaertner's 2007 AFL draft camp results:
Agility - 10th. Steven Gaertner 8.39 sec
Vertical Jump - 6th. Steven Gaertner 70cm
20-Metre Sprint - 2nd. Steven Gaertner 2.88 sec

He is very quick and agile for a big man.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

LTN16 wrote:Steven Gaertner's 2007 AFL draft camp results:
Agility - 10th. Steven Gaertner 8.39 sec
Vertical Jump - 6th. Steven Gaertner 70cm
20-Metre Sprint - 2nd. Steven Gaertner 2.88 sec

He is very quick and agile for a big man.
Yeah, but I've read that he has problems with his disposal of the footy...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Batnoe

Am happy with Gaetner and the little indegenous player, he should blossom being on a list, hope he comes and runs like the Davey brothers, i love speed

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

'Choo Choo' reminds me of a skinnier Austin Wonaemirri...

joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote: i love speed
Ben Cousins forum.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Can someone please confirm that the joke about us recruiting Zac Dawson was infact a joke?

Can someone please, please confirm this?

Please.

Saints94
SS Life Member

rodgerfox wrote:Can someone please confirm that the joke about us recruiting Zac Dawson was infact a joke?

Can someone please, please confirm this?

Please.
No its true we did draft ZAC DAWSON :lol:

Batnoe

anyone bio on these players??

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

For a Rookie Draft it looks a good group. The picks are all adding to the balance of our list.

Remember if they did not have a flaw or two...that they would not be Rookies!!!

Several key defensive options. With a question mark still over Goose fitness wise, and Max age wise Dawson is a prudent selection for depth as well as long term.

Howard is possibly the main one that is questionable....but the club has to pay him anyway. Still at least he improved in 2008.

The others are all youngish picks...small forward (Milne might only have a couple of years left), beanpole ruckman contrasting with our other 200cm rucks in Ben and our new SA boy. Flanker, Key defender, complete the mix.

We have certainly gone very tall this year in the various drafts!!!!!

Midfield wise Ball, Steven, Armo and X all will need to deliver more in 2009 and beyond....for whilr we now have a good group of talls anda couple of medium forwards to try out....the midfield group will be looking thin unless our existing under-performing mids step up.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Sorry sRr, could you explain what you mean by beanpole ruckman (Gaertner) contrasting with our other 200cm rucks?

From what Ive read and seen, they are all decent 'project' prospects. Good athletically, all very mobile runners - but all have skill and 'smarts' deficiencies.

How does Gaertner contrast to the other two?

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Does anyone think there's the slightest chance we'll ever see some value from the Rookie Draft?

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

From John Peake, according to saints.com.au

"13. Zac Dawson (Hawthorn)

It was to complement who we drafted. When we looked at it, we were still short down back. Zac’s still in his early 20s and has a fair bit of footy ahead of him but he could play straight away if anything happened to Max (Hudghton). Zac has been at one club already and there is still a bit of an upside to him. He is tall and can play full-back, which we feel is a special position.

29. Tom Simpkin (Geelong Falcons)

Tommy is a 190cm boy. He is more for the future. He is a medium/tall back but can play that role well. He played for Vic Country and played well on some of the boys that got drafted. We feel he is more down the track but once again he addresses a real need area as a tall defender.

44. Brad Howard (St Kilda)

We wanted to get Brad back because we still feel there is a bit of development for Brad. We waited til where we thought we could still get him but didn’t want to leave it too long because we thought another club might sweep in.

58. Steven Gaertner (Dandenong)

Steven is elite with his speed. He has got some things to work on in his game. I think it has been well-documented that we have considered him for two years. We have him training and we feel there is a lot of upside. There is something really special with Steven but he has a bit of work to do. With his height and speed he could be that tall back that plays on the fast leading forward.

71. Ross Tungutulum (St Marys)

Ross is a small indigenous forward who we feel we need. Ross hasn’t been in the elite system. He played with the Northern Territory Under-18 team. We got a bit of feedback he was best on ground in the grand final in Darwin and kicked a few magical goals. Ross has a fair way to go but he’s got the speed and a few tricks that we feel we’re missing down the forward line.

80. Sam McGarry (Sandringham Dragons)

Sam’s a local boy. He is a gut-running midfielder and whilst that wasn’t our No.1 need, you just can’t have enough of them. We felt we’d gone through our need areas and filled those up so we thought we’d take another gut-running midfielder. In time he could end up better than some of the boys who are already there.

84. Blake McGrath (NSW)

Blake was already locked away as part of the NSW scholarship. He is a developing ruckman. He’s 202cm and hasn’t played a lot of footy but he will take time. We imagine he will play a lot of VFL reserves footy next year but you just don’t know what will happen down the track with injuries and you might find that Blake plays a few VFL senior games. We’ve been very happy with him so far but he will take some time as a lot of big blokes do."

Batnoe

Wow we really stacked up on the defenders. Really happy with Gaertner and McGarry and Tangatulum. Thought we went early on Dawson but there must've been interest else where. Simpkin was an alright pick up too.

"ant555: Tom Simpkin – 190cm, 81kg –Geelong Falcons.
Mobile defender with good defensive skills. He is prepared to back himself and run from half back and his skills are pretty good. Kicks mainly right foot and he is a good long kick on that side. His pace is reasonably good.
He is what clubs like in today’s game as far as running half backs go but half backs don’t generally go all that high in the draft. Good chance later in the draft."

"TheBigUnit: Tom Simpkin - seemed very sound defensively and rebounded well too. His spoiling really stood out from what I've seen - reminds me of a shorter Will Schofield."

Video.
____________________________________________________________ ___

Sam McGarry - (OM) 21 April 1990, 186cm 77kg. VicM/Sandringham Dragons/St Peter's

"ant555: Sam McGarry -186cm, 77kg – Sandringham Dragons.
Consistent TAC Cup performer who generally finds a lot of the ball. Plays mainly on the ball or as a small forward. Has pretty good pace and his clearance work is ok. Skills by foot are ok and his handball is very good. Can get in and get the hard ball but has looked better in the receiving role. Does manage to kick a goal most weeks when he is playing forward.
Because he has a bit more height than some of the other mids going around he is probably a better chance late in the draft than most."

"digdaddy: 22- McGarry; Very quiet today. Started well with his first attack on the ball but faded badly. Has some habits watching him play TAC but his pace is very good, just needs a bit of coaching."

"???: Sam McGarry describes the experience “as very daunting and quiet surrealâ€