Westaway out Nettlefold in????

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Ice Wolf
Club Player

I posted this on BigFooty and i think it's appropriate for this thread too.

Westaway may never have intended to be a long term President, his goal might have been to make sure the club was in good hands, heading in the right direction and then move on. As long as he's got the right people to the club, him being there isn't important. Im sure those on the board would be aware of this. That being said this is still only a rumour.

PJ
SS Life Member

Does anyone really give a sh*t whether it's Westaway or Nettlefold who's running the club??

I mean really can anybody here say they know what either of them stand for and what difference they will make to the club without just blowing hot personal bad air??

Oh gee Greg's wearing a lovely red tie today so I think there will be some good decisions made in the board room today.

Get a grip folks and those of you who feel hard done by or aggrieved - AGM - Like stated before "put up or shut up", or like some other angry little people want to do SIMPLY LEAVE no one is forcing you to stay.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Legendary
Club Player

Totally agree with the above two posts.

How many of you can actually claim to know what difference there would be if Nettlefold or Westaway were President?

Greg Westaway said when he was elected that he only intended to be President for about 3 years.

He wanted to employ the right people at the club, see that the football department was resourced sufficiently to win a flag and then let those people take over and step aside himself.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

A president should neither be seen nor heard by anyone other than sponsors or prospective sponsors.

It adds zero value.

The coach is the one who should be rallying the fans and leading the club publicly.

The best way to root a club, is to let the Boardroom take over.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:A president should neither be seen nor heard by anyone other than sponsors or prospective sponsors.

It adds zero value.

The coach is the one who should be rallying the fans and leading the club publicly.

Just like Collingwood - McGuire?
Just Like Geelong - Costa?
Just like Hawthorn - Kennett?
Just like Western Bulldogs - Smorgon?
Just like North Melbourne - Brayshaw?
Just like Melbourne - Stynes?
Just like Carlton - Pratt/Kernahan?

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
rodgerfox wrote:A president should neither be seen nor heard by anyone other than sponsors or prospective sponsors.

It adds zero value.

solid point Mr Magic and something I've been harping on about for while also.

So what Vic teams have you left out?

Richmond - now the Cousins factor has negated their "quiet" president (Gary March?)

St Kilda - already covered

Essendon - Sheedy did take the mantle, supporting rodgerfox's view - but who is their prez? Very quiet, but I guess the Sheedy thing takes a while to dissapate.

i am Melbourne Skies - sometimes Blue Skies, Grey Skies, even Partly Cloudy Skies.
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:

It adds zero value.

With respect Mr M...

Eddie and Kennet love the spotlight.

Costa is sought out, but you don't see him parading in the media unless approached.

Smorgon has had to single handedly drag the Bullies from extinction. More of a blight on others than him.

Nth had no one until Brayshaw who is just an Eddie wannabe.

Stynes gained some exposure when he stepped in because they needed something, but has been quiet since.

Pratt worked behind the scenes to get things done and IIRC, didn't do much media.

I agree with Rodger on this. The public follow a club for the footy... not for how well a board is run, or who the president is (except of course for JB :wink: ).

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

WayneJudson42 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

It adds zero value.

With respect Mr M...

Costa is sought out, but you don't see him parading in the media unless approached.

Smorgon has had to single handedly drag the Bullies from extinction. More of a blight on others than him.

Stynes gained some exposure when he stepped in because they needed something, but has been quiet since.

Pratt worked behind the scenes to get things done and IIRC, didn't do much media.

I agree with Rodger on this. The public follow a club for the footy... not for how well a board is run, or who the president is (except of course for JB :wink: ).
Whilst I agree that there are times the President/Board should be 'hidden' it was more the categorical statements Rodger made that I was referring to.

They are blatantly incorrect as there are obviously times when a President/Board need to be gaining publicity for the Club for various reasons. Even your analysis of my list shows that some Presidents are publicly seen and heard and their Clubs don't seem to have been damaged by it.
To make a categorical statement that 'A president should neither be seen nor heard by anyone other than sponsors or prospective sponsors' is patently nonsensical.

IMO, all Clubs at various times will deem it necessary to have their President out and about in the Media for issues they believe it is necessary for him to be seen/heard in public.

Even the mainly invisible Ray Horsburgh (Essendon Chariman) was doing media interviews when the Sheedy sacking occurred.

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Mr Magic wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:

It adds zero value.

With respect Mr M...

Whilst I agree that there are times the President/Board should be 'hidden' it was more the categorical statements Rodger made that I was referring to.

They are blatantly incorrect as there are obviously times when a President/Board need to be gaining publicity for the Club for various reasons. Even your analysis of my list shows that some Presidents are publicly seen and heard and their Clubs don't seem to have been damaged by it.
To make a categorical statement that 'A president should neither be seen nor heard by anyone other than sponsors or prospective sponsors' is patently nonsensical.

IMO, all Clubs at various times will deem it necessary to have their President out and about in the Media for issues they believe it is necessary for him to be seen/heard in public.

Even the mainly invisible Ray Horsburgh (Essendon Chariman) was doing media interviews when the Sheedy sacking occurred.
Yeah, it's not a black and white thing, and I agree with what you say. However, in essnce, Roder's view is correct.

I will add that if a Prez acts in a responsible way, then I don't have an issue... as opposed to how Butterhead was... out there for all the wrong reasons.

EDIT: I'll also add that I don't mind if our Prez works quietly behind the scenes as an "over seer" of what happens. Greg has been a very successful businessman, and I was once in direct competition with him.

All I can say was that he was very hard nosed, and did not hesitate to do what's required to grow his business. This speculation that he has no "nads" is total BS AFAIAC.

He knows what he's doing in a business sense. If he's their as a "stable" influence to connect the footy dept and the admin, then I'm cool with that also.

FRankly, I don't see what all the fuss is about. To state that he has to go because he doesn't have a public profile is absolute garbage.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote: EDIT: I'll also add that I don't mind if our Prez works quietly behind the scenes as an "over seer" of what happens. Greg has been a very successful businessman, and I was once in direct competition with him.
could explain why he was so successful :wink:

couldn't resist that one

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

sainteronline wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote: EDIT: I'll also add that I don't mind if our Prez works quietly behind the scenes as an "over seer" of what happens. Greg has been a very successful businessman, and I was once in direct competition with him.

couldn't resist that one
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

sainteronline wrote:

couldn't resist that one
Of course not... I wouldn't expect any less from you, 140IQOnline. Or am I cyber bullying you?

Once again, you take selective words and twist them out of context. :roll:

What my post doesn't explain is how I might have also been successful in my own right. But that's "confidential information".

sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote:
sainteronline wrote:

couldn't resist that one
Of course not... I wouldn't expect any less from you, 140IQOnline. Or am I cyber bullying you?

What my post doesn't explain is how I might have also been successful in my own right. But that's "confidential information".
see how"confidential information "catches on even your using it

never said you weren't lol touchy

just seems he's more successful and maybe you helped

i mean he was in competition with you

reasonable assumption i'd think lmao

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

sainteronline wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:
sainteronline wrote:

couldn't resist that one

see how"confidential information "catches on even your using it

never said you weren't lol touchy

just seems he's more successful and maybe you helped

i mean he was in competition with you
No, I worked in competition to his company. And some of my colleagues had worked for him.

Not touchy to be honest. In case you haven't noticed, I'll give as good as I get, and vice versa.

sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote:

No, I worked in competition to his company. And some of my colleagues had worked for him.(splitting hairs)

Not touchy to be honest. In case you haven't noticed, I'll give as good as I get, and vice versa.
lmao really seriously

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

sainteronline wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

No, I worked in competition to his company. And some of my colleagues had worked for him.(splitting hairs)

lmao really seriously
Hmmmmm, just can't help yourself, can you. You feel the urge to jump in on my discussions with others.
Then you cry to the mods that I'm abusing you. Now that's funny.

Read my reply on the other forum, and please if you can't be civil, please do not quote me or stalk me.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Now I don't know all the details in the little tiff you two are having but as far as this thread goes Sainteronline's behavior has been disgusting, he has turned a serious thread into another childish argument, I'm sick of threads going downhill like this, why do so many people feel the need to be the keyboard warrior around here...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Armoooo wrote:Now I don't know all the details in the little tiff you two are having but as far as this thread goes Sainteronline's behavior has been disgusting, he has turned a serious thread into another childish argument, I'm sick of threads going downhill like this, why do so many people feel the need to be the keyboard warrior around here...
I agree. I made a pact with a few others to just ignore him, and I've let myself, and them down.

Time to move on.

sainteronline

WayneJudson42 wrote:
sainteronline wrote:
WayneJudson42 wrote:

lmao really seriously
Hmmmmm, just can't help yourself, can you. You feel the urge to jump in on my discussions with others.
Then you cry to the mods that I'm abusing you. Now that's funny.

Read my reply on the other forum, and please if you can't be civil, please do not quote me or stalk me.
you have to admit that was a good one

told you I couldn't resist

how is that abusing you

PS I can resist anything but temptation lmao