The bolter

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

The bolter

there is always 1-2 players who come out of no where to book themselves into the round 1 team. Last year it was geary (who had a great preseason cup but could not keep up the consistancy).

Will it be the first round pick in lynch. Will bigmac get a rucking spot? Will a rookie like dawson play third tall?

Or will goose or barrel make a come back?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I wouldn't be surprised to see either Nick Heyne or Tom Lynch take the role, they are at an advantage because they will only have to overtake a Gwilt or an Eddy whereas Big Mac will have to overtake a Kosi or a King...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Shouldn't be too hard to overtake Kosi, unless he extracts the digit and plays half decent footy this year, and I hope he does.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

I susoect that one of the side effects of the work done by the likes of Armitage, Eddy, McQualter during '08, combined with returning players from injury like Ball, Baker, Maguire (though with few games over the course of 2 years, it's hard to imagine where Goose will start the year), the Saints will have gotten even harder to crack.

Of the new draftees, I'd be surprised to see anyone other than Begley, and I'm honestly shocked how many have Begley in the best 22 for round 1.

That said, the clubs comments about Lynch re: position v most talented available may mean he's got a shot with a good preseason. Very, very rare for 1st year KPP to have a big impact though.

Jack Steven is a year into it, and with a full time training regimen now that school's done might be able to overcome the Armo-Eddy-Mini group for round 1.

Geary is another - from what I've gleaned (a little from TV and mainly off here), his VFL-AFL game is very different. As a big midfielder, he's able to push around a lot of VFL guys, use his marking, run off and kick. In the AFL, he's not a big midfielder... yet. If he put on some strength and is committed to using it, that's exactly the kind of player who can hit year 3, and with full physical development leave people wondering "where'd this guy come from". Of course, the more common outcome is for the player not to be able to make that transition, or do so in a journeyman type manner, ala Gwilt.

To come right out of left field, I'm keeping an ear pricked for any word on the progress of Luke Miles. Having survived the cull, his attributes are those I'm coming to associate with a Ross Lyon Defender (height and dash)... while there was a brief call for Dawson to be immediately elevated into Allen's list position, Miles is the only rookie I could see earning immediate elevation barring firther injury.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Miles is an interesting one, no doubt he has a lot of potential and he plays in a position where we could use some back up but he has had some pretty bad luck with injuries, you would hope that would change in '09...

ATM we have a few players who have clearly shown they are too good for VFL, IMO they are McEvoy, Geary, Armitage and Steven, the question is which of these players can make the transition into the AFL, I have high hopes for all three.

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
jays
Club Player

miles looks like he could be a star just hope has no injuries this year

WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Don't care who makes a bolt IMO. As long as players like mini and CJ can't get a game due to other players improving, then I'm cool. Same goes for any other mid to lower performer from last year.

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

Miles with a good preseason.

Have always seen him as a quality footballer who looked extremely comfortable at AFL (albeit NAB) level.

thirty-seven!?
Club Player

What position did Miles play in his Junior career?? It was FB if my memory serves me...

Though he doesnt really seem the right height for a FB at AFL level, he could prove a good 3rd tall, able to run off their opponent - ala Sam Fish.

Personally, i would be excited to see some more development from Geary... i watched one Casey game last year, and he really impressed me with his ferocity to the contest (and seeing pre-season pics, he looks to have bulked up a bit more too) - he reminded me a bit (i will emphasise my use of the word "bit") of Goddard - that tall mid who knows how to use his size as a weapon...

Solar
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:What position did Miles play in his Junior career?? It was FB if my memory serves me...

Though he doesnt really seem the right height for a FB at AFL level, he could prove a good 3rd tall, able to run off their opponent - ala Sam Fish.

Personally, i would be excited to see some more development from Geary... i watched one Casey game last year, and he really impressed me with his ferocity to the contest (and seeing pre-season pics, he looks to have bulked up a bit more too) - he reminded me a bit (i will emphasise my use of the word "bit") of Goddard - that tall mid who knows how to use his size as a weapon...
gearys skills are very good and has very good closing speed for a player his height. The problem he has had in taking the next step is all upstairs. The kid doesn't have a natural football brain and his decision making and positioning needs work. But has the skills and ability to make the next step.

miles will be an interesting one.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
ATM we have a few players who have clearly shown they are too good for VFL, IMO they are McEvoy, Geary, Armitage and Steven, the question is which of these players can make the transition into the AFL, I have high hopes for all three.
I keep counting 4 players in your post but you only have high hopes for 3,
which one snuck in by mistake....

:lol: :lol:

Will the Saints ever be classed as a good club ?
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Lol, one of the problems or constantly re-writing your post as you go :lol: :lol:

avid
Club Player

I reckon by 2010 Sam McGarry will be one of our most promising 20yearolds.
May not make it into the seniors this year but will be there by 2010.

Fidelis
Club Player

I know he's been written off by many here but I hope that this year's bolter will be X.

I live in hope that he is able to put the knocks of the past couple of years behind him and give us something special. A fit and focused X is virtually a new recruit for us and (my increasingly minority opinion is that) he has the talent to make not just our best 22 but the best 22 in the country.

If I'm right, we'd have a side with that but of magic that could take us a long way.

Faithful Even Unto Death
saintly
Saintsational Legend

Fidelis wrote:I know he's been written off by many here but I hope that this year's bolter will be X.

I live in hope that he is able to put the knocks of the past couple of years behind him and give us something special. A fit and focused X is virtually a new recruit for us and (my increasingly minority opinion is that) he has the talent to make not just our best 22 but the best 22 in the country.

If I'm right, we'd have a side with that but of magic that could take us a long way.
we all live in hope!

hope that X will get better,
hope that Kosi, will play to his potential.
hope that raph, keeps on improving
hope that rookies will improve.
hope that there will be no major injuries.

etc etc. what will be the reality?

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

thirty-seven!? wrote:What position did Miles play in his Junior career?? It was FB if my memory serves me...

I can't help you with his junior career..BUT at his previous club he was a midfielder who, due to his exceptional athleticism, they turned to play at Full Back at times as they had a hole there.

He is not big enough to be an AFL FB though....so running HB would be more were he will be trying to break in.

So in 2009 players in the running HB queue outisde of the 2008 team would include Begley, Ray and Miles as well as some of the new kids.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Gilbo is another who should take that next step in 09. He is the right height to assume that KPP role (194cm), however, has recently been given the roles on the opposition small - med forwards.
We saw in the final against Collingwood what he is capable of, but in comparisson, the following week we were shown how far away he still is...

What position has he been earmarked for?? I remember in an interview a year or two ago he stated his goal was to play CHB, to which Goose responded that it was impossible with his spaghetti arms...
He has the height and the agility - but does he have the strength and the skills?? 2009 could be a real coming of age for him if he is able to step up into one of those roles

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Is it OK if I look into BOTH of my crystal balls in predicting a bolter/s for 2009?

Of those who have played a bit of footy, I see Gilbo & Raph as the guys I would like to see take the next step.

The untried guys are much much more difficult to predict. My prediction/hope is that Jack Steven and/or Nick Heyne can establish a semi-permanant (8-10 games) spot in the senior side in 2009 !!

PJ
SS Life Member

My bolter for 09 - the St.Kilda football team - no stars just a well oiled machine that supports and protects each other so well that they are almost impossible to break down.

This is the Lyon plan I believe.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

The team is screaming for another tall forward to take some pressure off Roo. Let's hope Lynch or Cahill are 'ready made' and can fill the role.
It's obvious, I know, but improvement has got to come across the board. (and not just the players). Quality hand and foot skills under pressure are paramount in todays footy. My hope for 2009 is a St Kilda side blessed with impeccable skills, a confident Roo in front of goal and a re-vitalised Kosi to make his first top 5 finish in the saints B&F.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
Zed
SS Hall of Fame

jack steven

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

The Improvement Farm:

Koschitzke, X Clarke, R Clarke, Gilbet, Baker, Maguire, Steven, Geary, Armitage, McQualter, Gardiner, McEvoy, Goddard, L Fisher, Ball, Dal Santo.

Explanation - All no where near their best year last year.....With others young, that will continue to improve.

Explanation* - I want to see Goddard the second year after a knee reco....If he could do what he did last year after 1 year.....Watch Out!!!!

Go Sainters Go
Club Player

Spinner wrote:The Improvement Farm:

Koschitzke, X Clarke, R Clarke, Gilbet, Baker, Maguire, Steven, Geary, Armitage, McQualter, Gardiner, McEvoy, Goddard, L Fisher, Ball, Dal Santo.

Explanation - All no where near their best year last year.....With others young, that will continue to improve.

Explanation* - I want to see Goddard the second year after a knee reco....If he could do what he did last year after 1 year.....Watch Out!!!!
Why not throw in as well (improvement would be great from this lot) - Roo, Sammy Fisher, Lenny, Milney, Montagna, Kingy, Maxy, Blakey and Grammy.
Would love to see Kosi play at CHB this year as I think the responsibilty will bring the best out of him - if they play him there, Kosi would be our biggest improver. If Goose is fit, play him in the BP (alongside Maxy )covering the opposition second tall.

Once a "Saint" always a trueblooded "Saint"
Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Go Sainters Go wrote:
Spinner wrote:The Improvement Farm:

Why not throw in as well (improvement would be great from this lot) - Roo, Sammy Fisher, Lenny, Milney, Montagna, Kingy, Maxy, Blakey and Grammy.
Would love to see Kosi play at CHB this year as I think the responsibilty will bring the best out of him - if they play him there, Kosi would be our biggest improver. If Goose is fit, play him in the BP (alongside Maxy )covering the opposition second tall.
Roo, Sammy Fisher, Lenny, Milney, Montagna, Kingy, Maxy, Blakey and Grammy - Improvement from this bunch isnt going to make a difference to the clubs overall positions......All had great seasons......They need to sustain.

Saints94
SS Life Member

Wouldn't be surprised if Lynch starts at Full Forward in rd 1