Changing of the guard

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Richter
SS Life Member

Changing of the guard

I didn't get chance to add to RF's discussion as it got locked so thought I'd add in a point about where I think the club is at.

The team has just lost Robert Harvey - last of the great Saints men of the 80s and 90s.

The likes of Locket, Winmar and spud Frawley left in the 1990s.

This decade saw the retirement of Buckets Loewe in 2002 and this year the finest of them all Robert Harvey. During this decade others have come and gone - Hammill, Gehrig to name but two.

Off-field the Thomas-Butterrs combo has gone..... two more old-time Sainters.

It is reasonable to wonder wehat is coming next..... and I think that this is what has led to the likes of RF feeling that their passion for the club has diminished. Somehow we don't identify with Luke Ball/Nick Riewoldt/Brendon Goddard as being long-time old Sainters as we did Harvey et al.

But this is natural - we have been in transition over the last two years..... the core of the club is now the classes of 2000-2. The next 3 years is their time to blossom. Aside from Max and Lenny there is no-one else left to fall back to. They must stand up on-field and become club legends.

Off-field RB and GT may have gone, but there remains a solid (though less vocal) core of "Old Sainters" in the club's hierarchy. Bromberg, Nettlefold, Thompson, Burke are all former players.

The coaching staff are all hired guns - but I have no problem with that - outside expertise is often required to bring out the best of players.

This next 2-3 years represents a great opportunity for the club to lay the foundations for our next generations of Sainters.

Have faith in the future.

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
jays
Club Player

has a great feeling about this year go saints

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

"It is reasonable to wonder wehat is coming next..... and I think that this is what has led to the likes of RF feeling that their passion for the club has diminished. Somehow we don't identify with Luke Ball/Nick Riewoldt/Brendon Goddard as being long-time old Sainters as we did Harvey et al. "

Those players are long time old saints players to me, at least thinking of this generation. Half or more of their careers are gone and have served St.Kilda. I certainly hold them in high esteem.

I do see your point re Harvs and the like.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Richter, among the old players retiring you left out Nathan Burke.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Better add Cowboy Neale to that list of "old Sainters" who are still around the place.

Gee some people are fickle. One minute they are screaming for "worlds best practice" and "letting sentiment get in the way of winning a flag" and in the next breath we dont have enough "old Sainters around the place"

I know we put our own team under the microscope far more than anyone else, thats why this place exists..but..can anyone say, categorically, that we are less "tradtional" than any other Club??

Didnt see too many Cats fans grumbling "that should be Bobby Davis" when Bomber hoisted that Cup

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Changing of the guard

[quote="Richter"]

.[/quote

Yes while one goes to watch the saints...it is also great to have some players in the team who in their own right excite your passion in the Saints. Players that get your thoughts bubbling with epectation, players that when the ball goes near them that you draw breath in expectaion of what may happen.

Have faith...Choo Choo is coming ....... :wink:

Every team needs some excitement machines.

Milney for a while was it....but has toned down a bit.

The GTrain was definately it, but is goone.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
WayneJudson42
SS Life Member

Re: Changing of the guard

saintsRrising wrote:
Richter wrote:

.[/quote

Yes while one goes to watch the saints...it is also great to have some players in the team who in their own right excite your passion in the Saints. Players that get your thoughts bubbling with epectation, players that when the ball goes near them that you draw breath in expectaion of what may happen.

Have faith...Choo Choo is coming ....... :wink:

Every team needs some excitement machines.

Milney for a while was it....but has toned down a bit.

The GTrain was definately it, but is goone.
Wow, when you look at it that way...

Who are our "excitement" machines?

The lid is off after Round 2! Enjoy the journey, coz you just don't know where we'll end up. Live for today and seize the moment.
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Milne... X... Roo, and Dal. They very rarely turn it on at the same time though.

When fit and in form I might add Goose and Kosi to that list too.

milney044
Club Player

Milney is.. although whenever he does it most claim he's a "ball hog" and "selfish" so it's no wonder really that he's toned it down..especially when his own ex coach hated his celebrations which are a team lifter, excitement for the crowd and Milney's own adrenalin pumper.

Then you have Dal who before last year (and i believe will be again this year) got the heart racing with his smooth moving and amazing ability to "slow down time" and hit a target on the move. Many a time would Dal have the footy and i'd remark "silk" because he did it so smooth and almost carelessly.

Roo's flying marks and Grammy's long runs through the middle followed by a thumping kick are definitely exciting.

I do however feel we dont have enough exciting players running around and when they have shown glimpses i believe they have had it taken out of their game. Eg. X's high fliers and Milney's chainsaws..It really should be brought back, especially into a team that many now label as "boring". It's a real crowd pleaser, i believe it lifts the team as it provides that rush of adrenalin which we fans certainly feel as spectators.

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Last year Milney and Roo were our two regulars

Kosi and CJ have the ability to be

Dals a a bit smooth for an excitememnt machine

Banger always was :-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintly_safes
Club Player

Hate to be a fence sitter but love the optomism .Carnt see a team that can be a premiership threat at present but i said that in 1997 after Brisbane beat us by 90 odd points up there early in the season , but we went on to finish top of the ladder & almost bring home the big one :cry: We wernt the best side in the competion but we played as a team & most importantly we played for the jumper & hopefully we can reproduce that same spirit & sense of belief & who knows maybe we can bring it home in 2009.

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

I disagree, saintly safes.

In 1997 we WERE the best team in the competition and really deserved to sit atop the ladder at the end of the H&A season.

On the big day, we had too many distractions and didnt play as a team.

The other mob did.

saintly_safes
Club Player

n1ck wrote:I disagree, saintly safes.

In 1997 we WERE the best team in the competition and really deserved to sit atop the ladder at the end of the H&A season.

On the big day, we had too many distractions and didnt play as a team.

The other mob did.
We were the best side on the points table & we played with a passion that makes me proud to to be a saints supporter but in my oppinion we didnt have a team that was way more talented than any of the oppossition teams ( eg Geelong - Hawthorn this year)but we played for the team & as a team & I think that was the difference ,but thats only my oppinion "go sainters"

PJ
SS Life Member

09 Bring it on

I don't want to see what we used to do in the past - Been there done that.

Bring on the new saints - if your looking for past glory your just dreamimg of the good ol' days.

Mind you I'd be pretty happy to see Max clobber Buddy again - could watch that for hours.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

It is reasonable to wonder wehat is coming next..... and I think that this is what has led to the likes of RF feeling that their passion for the club has diminished. Somehow we don't identify with Luke Ball/Nick Riewoldt/Brendon Goddard as being long-time old Sainters as we did Harvey et al.

But this is natural - we have been in transition over the last two years..... the core of the club is now the classes of 2000-2. The next 3 years is their time to blossom. Aside from Max and Lenny there is no-one else left to fall back to. They must stand up on-field and become club legends.
Of course there was a change of the guard, from contending the premiership in '97 to earning the wooden spoon in '00. This is the new wave, at least phase 2 of the new wave. Phase one being RB-GT, phase two being AF-RL.

How many faces onfield remain from the 2000 season - Max, Milne, Hayes, Blake? Bakes if you forgive the fact that he hasn't been on-field much lately.

This is truly a 21st century team, with Harves gone it only emphasises the point. Time for these boys to make their own glory days, and I for one am right behind them - and Ross Lyon. Ask me this time next year what I think of him though. 2009 is not only this crew's time to shine, it's also their time to prove Lyon as a coach.

In a way a top 4 finish may have done a disservice to Lyon. Can they bridge the gap, or at least hold off all comers? Any less will be seen as an indictment of failure on him.

saintnat
Club Player

2009 is our year and hopefully our hot vfl players can make the grade unlike 2008