Out of all 2008's Draftees...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

Out of all 2008's Draftees...

With our newest crop of draftees now fairly entrenched and settled here, which of them (bar Begley, as he has AFL experience) can we expect to play the most senior games in 2009? Personally, I don't think there's a regular spot in the team for any of them, unless they really impress, but think Heyne will crack it for 6-8 games, and possibly Lynch for about 3-4 games also. I'm not convinced that the other youngsters will get games this season...

The Saints are coming!
Sainter_Dad
Saintsational Legend

I would expect that if Lynchy is being groomed as a 3rd forward - that we will see him more than 3-4 games in 09 - lets hope he makes his mark in a big way!

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lynch being our 1st choice, is obviously the one that you would expect to get the most games, particuarly if he is being groomed for the 3rd tall forward position. Heyne being our 3rd choice should be a fair way behind him. Cahill might be considered at FF if he does well at Sandy and no one else is doing a good job there (at FF). There would have to be a lot of injuries before any of the others were considered you would think.
Of the rookies, only Choo Choo has something to offer that we dont already have in the Senior side.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

Our recent history would suggest that RL likes to give the kids a decent apprenticeship before throwing them into the senior team. On that basis, I doubt that any of them will play much senior footy this year. Lynch and Heyne may crack it for a couple of games each, but that's probably it.

(I'm excluding the NAB cup here ... some of them may well play in that)

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

My guess is that of all the Rookies Zac Dawson is the one most ready to play AFL football, having played senior footy before.

With the likelihood of Allen going onto the long term injury list I see Dawson being elevated onto our main list and taking his place in the 'pecking order' for playing in the senior team.

As for the new boys, I would be surprized if any bar Lynch adn Heyne are given a go once the season starts. Barring a massive injury list of course.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I agree that RL likes to give the young guys a decent apprentaship and if we are going well it will be difficult for many/any of them to break into the side.

Lets hope that Lynch, Dawson, Steven & Heyne are bashing RL's door down by around Rd 10 !!

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I don't think our new kids are meant have much impact in the seniors in 2009. Justa few cameo games...unless one surprises witha hot streak of form.

Of the new boys
Club would have Ray in mind to be in the 22 for most games.

Begley as a back up.
Zac as back up tall backman, and possible surprise forward.

From the existing

* That Armo play more games..and hat Steven will start to appear.
* That McEvoy will start to geta few more games
* That X would play many games.
* that Geary wil have built up over summer to be more cpable physically.
*That eddy will continue his development.
*That Jones will continue to improve

* That hopefully Maguire and Baker will play many games this year

Add to this Ball who missed the last part of the season and Raph who basically only hit his straps in the finals and you should have a lot of competition for the starting 22.

There are also a few like Miles floating arround who might surprise.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
St Chris
SS Hall of Fame

I'm hoping not many of our newest draftees have to play. I don't think any are in our best 25, and if they aren't playing it means we're relatively injury-free and everyone's in reasonable form.

Their time will come in 2010, '11 and beyond.

I think our 2007 draftees are much more likely to get senior games, guys like Steven, McEvoy and perhaps even seeing Miles elevated.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Out of all 2008's Draftees...

True Blue Sainter wrote:Heyne will crack it for 6-8 games, and possibly Lynch for about 3-4 games also

going on what ross said this week that's a real possibility. he's pretty pleased with what he's seen of both.

a couple of young guys really pushing up will create healthy competition for a senior berth.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Might get 10-15 games in total from the first year recruits but they will not be the difference this year on how we go but what we will be hoping to see is which of these players will make a difference in the following years.

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

I'd be interested in seeing if they get a run in the res season comp or the odd praccy match

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

HardSaint wrote:I'd be interested in seeing if they get a run in the res season comp or the odd praccy match
i would give them a crack pre-season. stuff trying to wni the nab cup. waste of time. play kids.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

The way I see it in 2008 players such as Eddy, Gwilt, McQualter and Allen were taking up spots becuse we had no other option.

I believe that Armitage and Steven will take the next step and challenge for a couple of those positions.

I would also be very surprised if we didn't have atleast one of Lynch or Heyne in our starting 22 by season's end, that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be superstars, they just need to take Gwilt's spot.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
BallBanger
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:The way I see it in 2008 players such as Eddy, Gwilt, McQualter and Allen were taking up spots becuse we had no other option.

I believe that Armitage and Steven will take the next step and challenge for a couple of those positions.

I would also be very surprised if we didn't have atleast one of Lynch or Heyne in our starting 22 by season's end, that doesn't necessarily mean they are going to be superstars, they just need to take Gwilt's spot.
Exactly Armoo, we will not challenge geel/hawks if these types are in 22.

What do you know of Alistair Smith...I'm hoping he Lynch and Hyne can be fast tracked...asking too much for 1st yr players...maybe steven.

We need many talented quickish runners who break lines and create..

HardSaint
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
HardSaint wrote:I'd be interested in seeing if they get a run in the res season comp or the odd praccy match
i would give them a crack pre-season. stuff trying to wni the nab cup. waste of time. play kids.
How good was watching Jack Steven kick the winning goal against Geelong in the pre season, yet he didnt play a game all year (or did he?)
Thats what I like about rookie developemnt and the pre season - getting a glimpse and giving it another 12 months or so and see how they go....

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

BallBanger wrote:
Armoooo wrote:The way I see it in 2008 players such as Eddy, Gwilt, McQualter and Allen were taking up spots becuse we had no other option.

Exactly Armoo, we will not challenge geel/hawks if these types are in 22.

What do you know of Alistair Smith...I'm hoping he Lynch and Hyne can be fast tracked...asking too much for 1st yr players...maybe steven.

We need many talented quickish runners who break lines and create..
I don't know much about Smith TBH, when we drafted him I had to see what I could find out about him, to me he seems like another Clinton Jones/ Jarryn Geary/ Robert Eddy type player. A great runner who's disposal will let him down in the big league. He's really well built though so I wouldn't be shocked to see him get a game ahead of some of our higher rated youngsters.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I would have thought that (leaving aside a disappointing performance in the PF), Gwilt was one of our better players towards the end of the season and hardly the most obvious case of a player getting into the top 22 because "we had no other option".

IMO he's one of only five players at the club whose ability to consistently hit a target by foot is up to the standard required for a premiership team (the others being Sam Fisher, Dal, BJ and, oddly enough, Milne).

I also believe that Allen has some longer term potential. But I tend to agree with you about Eddy and McQualter (and, for that matter, Jones and perhaps Dempster and, on their 2008 form, Armo, Schneider and Kosi as well: although we must hope for better to come from those two).

And Gilbert needs to pull up his socks in 2009 as well.

As for who among the others is going to crack a regular gig in the top 22 this season? Well, I have seen Ray, Steven, McEvoy, Begley and Dawson play, and I reckon they've all got some talent. I don't think much of Geary, but note that some good judges (like BigMart) seem to rate him, so have some hopes there as well.

Surely it's a bit early to say about the rest.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
zebraman
Club Player

Mr Magic wrote:My guess is that of all the Rookies Zac Dawson is the one most ready to play AFL football, having played senior footy before.
With Zac Dawson being a rookie, does that mean he can play with St Kilda only if he gets promoted to the senior list?

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

zebraman wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:My guess is that of all the Rookies Zac Dawson is the one most ready to play AFL football, having played senior footy before.
With Zac Dawson being a rookie, does that mean he can play with St Kilda only if he gets promoted to the senior list?
Yes, and there is a strong possibility of that happening, with Dempster & Allen not likely to figure until the second half of the season...

The Saints are coming!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

i hope none of them debut unless they force their way in with performances rather than injury

best 22 and we make the gf

simple

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

meher baba wrote:

Obviously I'm a bit biased, but I would have thought that (leaving aside a disappointing performance in the PF), Gwilt was one of our better players towards the end of the season and hardly the most obvious case of a player getting into the top 22 because "we had no other option".

IMO he's one of only five players at the club whose ability to consistently hit a target by foot is up to the standard required for a premiership team (the others being Sam Fisher, Dal, BJ and, oddly enough, Milne).

I also believe that Allen has some longer term potential. But I tend to agree with you about Eddy and McQualter (and, for that matter, Jones and perhaps Dempster and, on their 2008 form, Armo, Schneider and Kosi as well: although we must hope for better to come from those two).

And Gilbert needs to pull up his socks in 2009 as well.

As for who among the others is going to crack a regular gig in the top 22 this season? Well, I have seen Ray, Steven, McEvoy, Begley and Dawson play, and I reckon they've all got some talent. I don't think much of Geary, but note that some good judges (like BigMart) seem to rate him, so have some hopes there as well.

Surely it's a bit early to say about the rest.
I believe I agree in general with the sentiment - Gwilt was not a "no other option", he was the winner of a spot ahead of Charlie Gardiner and Matty Ferguson, which while not a great accolade, shouldn't be undersold either. I don't necessarily think that being the Saints 3rd forward option (behind Reiwoldt and Kosi)/mid sized forward is an easy role to play - which is not meant to offer any excuse for Gwilt, but it's a 50/50, the team doesn't use the player that well, and none of the players imposed themselves.

Gwilt would often lead to the wrong places (he got better at this), disappear in packs (barring a Hammill caliber option, with the combo of talls and smalls the Saints have, this is likely going to continue to frustrate us)... but he could usefully push up to the midfield to possess the ball, was an option to kick for goal from outside 50 (while not overly successful, having a few long kicks does make a team tougher to flood against) - I can recall a run up the ground against Essendon involving Goddard, Gwilt and (I think) Raph along the wing, wondering who/how the Bombers could stop those 3 (they didn't, we goaled).

The same things that challenged Gwilt, Gardiner and Ferg will be challenges for anyone trying to take Gwilt's spot. The new draftees may be options (from statements made at the time, Lynch may have been taken with this role in mind), but it's going to be a tough role to step straight into. I'd say McEvoy, but given he's a ruck/forward, I wouldn't have thought this would necessarily suit him (I haven't seen enough to offer judgement). Allen would have been a chance - but injury stepped in.

I'd be expecting the 2008 draftees to be the ones making a case for themselves: Steven and McEvoy that we haven't seen before. Gwilt is one of the spots that could be won with a good showing, but the main ones that are vulnerable are those held by other players that the club would be hoping for improvement from - Eddy, McQualter, Armitage (I'd expect these 3, along with Gwilt, will need to win their way into the round 1 team - Mini will be hard pressed with the return of Baker, L Fisher sounds like a man on a mission). Injuries and form (NAB cup always throws up some surprises) will obviously play a part.

I'd be expecting Lyon to attempt to "blood" a few of the new draftees, to show them what's required, but I just don't see the Saints as either being in a position, or having the prospects where we'd be likely to see a huge breakout season from anyone who hasn't played an AFL game at St Kilda. However, if one or more of Eddy, Geary, McQualter or Armitage (or Jack Steven, who is unblooded) can show the kind of improvement that 2008 saw in Clinton Jones, it would be the equal of a big season from a new draftee.

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
MCG-Unit
SS Life Member

Of the new draftees, Lynch, Heyne, Smith, Dawson and Gaertner may get some game time
If Begley has a good pre-season, he should be in from round 1 :shock:
Last edited by MCG-Unit on Tue 20 Jan 2009 11:09am, edited 1 time in total.

Your servants shall hold her stones dear, and have pity on her dust :shock:
Saints94
SS Life Member

Just hoping that lynch and heyne get 6 to 8 games in 2009 :wink: