Team of The Century (Part 2)

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Team of The Century (Part 2)

Browsing through "Heroes with Haloes' this morning and got to wondering about the 'Team of the Century' and how many changes might be made if the squad was selected today.
Obviously Riewoldt was the first player to come to mind. An automatic inclusion. But takes the place of who ? Breen, Jim Ross ?
Anyone else that has played in the past 8 years that would be a likely inclusion ?
Hudgton has always been one of my favorites and is the most underated player in the competition. Bloody hard to fit him in though as he would need to replace Howell, Neale or Lawrence. Same with Hamill and G-Train.
Maybe too hard a question. Perhaps I will satisfy my curiosity by limiting the inclusions to Holmesby's top 100 players. Love it that he includes players such as Mad Dog Muir (only 68 games in a ten year 'career') and McIntosh (only 51 games in three years). The list was created in 1995. So, who has worn the jumper in the past 13 years that would warrant inclusion into St Kilda folklore ? Hayes. Thompson, Jones, ???
I guess I'm in the same pickle. Maybe only Riewoldt makes this list as well.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
HarveysDeciple

Kevin (Cowboy) Neale
(1965–77)
Verdun Howell
(1958–68)
Nathan Burke
(1987–2003)

HB: Daryl Griffiths
(1963–70)
Neil Roberts
(1952–62)
Trevor Barker
(1975–89)

C: Colin Watson
(1920,22,25,33–35)
Ian Stewart
(1963–70)
Nicky Winmar
(1987–98)

HF: Darrel Baldock (Captain)
(1962–68)
Dave McNamara
(1905–09,14–15,18–19,21–23)
Bill Mohr
(1929–41)

F: Ross G. Smith
(1961–71,1975)
Tony Lockett
(1983–94)
Alan Morrow
(1957–66)

Foll: Carl Ditterich
(1963–72, 1976–78)
Robert Harvey
(1988–2008 )
Harold Bray
(1941–43, 1945–52)

Int: Stewart Loewe
(1988– 2002)
Lance Oswald
(1957–63)
Barry Lawrence
(1968–78)

Jim A. Ross
(1948–54)

Coach: Allan Jeans
(1961–76)

Above is our current team of the century....

Riewoldt would slot in there somewhere, maybe swap some players to the bench and squeeze him in at half forward (although that's a dam good half forward line.

Max Hudghton would be some sort of chance but then again Spud missed out too and he was a dam good full back.

Other then that, not sure too many others are worthy.

Gehrig was a wonderful player for st.kilda, but in terms of games played, goals kicked, years in the game etc he is covered by Lockett, Mohr, Loewe, Riewoldt etc.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

Geez what about Bob Murray. He was an amazing fullback, although I've been told that Verdun Howell was better.

Longwayfromhome
Club Player

It's interesting the number of Teams of the Century we have.
I have Bob Murray listed on mine.

B: Lawrence Howell Neale
HB: Barker Roberts Griffiths
C: Winmar Stewart Oswald
HF: Loewe Baldock Mohr
F: McNamara Lockett Burke
Foll: Ditterich Harvey Smith

Int: Breen Morrow Murray Ross.
Coach: Jeans

Riewodlt in for Breen.

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

It's funny how there is a 6'4" 100kg HFF who was poor at ground level and the best contested mark in the games history on the HFF...

and

at CHF there is a 5'10" player who was good in the air and a magician at ground level....Baldock was a great CHF because he was a great player and he had to fill a hole there....in a perfect world he would have played in the Centre but we had a handy player there...

Baldock could have played in any position on the ground and dominated and for those who cannot picture him - a player with the freakish ability of Gary Ablett Snr...or....J.Hird

mcadam05
Club Player

Longwayfromhome wrote:It's interesting the number of Teams of the Century we have.
I have Bob Murray listed on mine.

B: Lawrence Howell Neale
HB: Barker Roberts Griffiths
C: Winmar Stewart Oswald
HF: Loewe Baldock Mohr
F: McNamara Lockett Burke
Foll: Ditterich Harvey Smith

Int: Breen Morrow Murray Ross.
Coach: Jeans

Riewodlt in for Breen.
Mohr on the Half fwd Flank????? your kidding right some older fans say that he was a better Full Forward then Lockett I cant say that cause i never saw him play but he should be at full forward or not in the team at all

bobmurray
Saintsational Legend

Bob Murray is the best Full Back the Saints have had...

His era was so long ago that people now forget how good he was......

He was my teacher in primary school,all we ever talked about was StKilda,

I had my picture taken with him in the Sun in the late 60's...

I'd wax with him at lunch time in kick to kick...whenever it was his turn i'd pester him to do a drop kick......he did...the resultant kick was beyond explanation for a young turk...he was my coach in the school footy team.

i could go on but where is the interest....he will always be my favourite player...a champion when the word meant something...

Saints looking like a bottom 4 team in 2024.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bobmurray wrote:Bob Murray is the best Full Back the Saints have had...

His era was so long ago that people now forget how good he was......

He was my teacher in primary school,all we ever talked about was StKilda,

I had my picture taken with him in the Sun in the late 60's...

I'd wax with him at lunch time in kick to kick...whenever it was his turn i'd pester him to do a drop kick......he did...the resultant kick was beyond explanation for a young turk...he was my coach in the school footy team.

i could go on but where is the interest....he will always be my favourite player...a champion when the word meant something...
Did you see Verdun Howell play because I am pretty people who did would say he was a much better FB than Murray. Matter of fact I reckon Danny Frawley was at least his equal if not better as well.