New Numbers?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

New Numbers?

I can't find the thread with the players new numbers any point me in the right direction?

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

1 - GRAM, JASON
2 - KING, STEVEN
3 - CLARKE, XAVIER
4 - VACANT
5 - McEVOY, BEN
6 - FISHER, LEIGH
7 - HAYES, LENNY
8 - HUDGHTON, MAX
9 - VACANT
10 - BAKER, STEVEN
11 - MONTAGNA, LEIGH
12 - RIEWOLDT, NICK
13 - SCHNEIDER, ADAM
14 - BALL, LUKE
15 - GARDINER, MICHAEL
16 - CLARKE, RAPHAEL
17 - BEGLEY, COLM (NEW)
18 - GODDARD, BRENDON
19 - GILBERT, SAM
20 - ARMITAGE, DAVID
21 - HEYNE, NICK (NEW)
22 - RAY, FARREN (NEW)
23 - KOSCHITZKE, JUSTIN
24 - DEMPSTER, SEAN
25 - FISHER, SAM
26 - DAL SANTO, NICK
27 - BLAKE, JASON
28 - STANLEY, RHYS (NEW)
29 - LYNCH, TOM (NEW)
30 - HOWARD, BRAD (ROOKIE)
31 - MAGUIRE, MATTHEW
32 - McQUALTER, ANDREW
33 - GWILT, JAMES
34 - STEVEN, JACK
35 - VACANT
36 - ALLEN, JARRYD
37 - CONNORS, ELJAY
38 - JONES, CLINT
39 - SMITH, ALISTAIR (NEW)
40 - EDDY, ROBERT
41 - CAHILL, PAUL (NEW)
42 - GEARY, JARRYN
43 - DAWSON, ZAC (NEW ROOKIE)
44 - MILNE, STEPHEN
45 - MILES, LUKE
46 - HARETUKU, KHAN
47 - SIMPKIN, TOM (NEW ROOKIE)
48 - McGRATH, BLAKE (NEW ROOKIE)
49 - GAERTNER, STEVEN (NEW ROOKIE)
50 - TUNGATALUM, ROSS (NEW ROOKIE)
51 - McGARRY, SAM (NEW ROOKIE)

ausfatcat
Saintsational Legend

thankyou

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I tell you what if I were a youngster at the club right now I would be working harder than ever in the hope of being offered the number 35.

That is the sort of thing that you'd sell your left nut for, I hope the boys understand what an honour it would be to be awarded that jumper and put in the hard yards accordingly.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
PJ
SS Life Member

4 & 9 remaining vacant is an interesting insight. If they've been offered why wouldn't you take it? Might be the new players are not trying to put pressure on themselves by grabbing a low number. Either that or they just don't really rate the low numbers.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah it's pretty strange.

Perhaps they have retired them for a certain length of time, maybe they didn't feel any of the players had earned them yet or as you said maybe the players just didn't want them.

It would be nice to hear something from the club on the issue, perhaps an Ask Archie question is on the table :wink:

384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I tell you what if I were a youngster at the club right now I would be working harder than ever in the hope of being offered the number 35.

That is the sort of thing that you'd sell your left nut for, I hope the boys understand what an honour it would be to be awarded that jumper and put in the hard yards accordingly.
no you really wouldnt, being a young teen coming into a club he probably wouldnt have cared less about as a kid, being offered a number is just that, a number

it might mean something to us or someone like lynch, but not 95% of the others

its just a number

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:I tell you what if I were a youngster at the club right now I would be working harder than ever in the hope of being offered the number 35.

no you really wouldnt, being a young teen coming into a club he probably wouldnt have cared less about as a kid, being offered a number is just that, a number

its just a number
I strongly disagree, I believe the second you are welcomed into a club you immediately become a part of that culture, or atleast me personally.

For example if I was any good at footy and I was drafted to Collingwood I would love to wear the number 5, it is a huge sign of faith from the club and it really entrenches you in the history of the club.

Perhaps I may have overestimated the importance of this to everyone else but IMO numbers are a huge part of our game.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:

its just a number
I strongly disagree, I believe the second you are welcomed into a club you immediately become a part of that culture, or atleast me personally.

For example if I was any good at footy and I was drafted to Collingwood I would love to wear the number 5, it is a huge sign of faith from the club and it really entrenches you in the history of the club.

Perhaps I may have overestimated the importance of this to everyone else but IMO numbers are a huge part of our game.
they are to fans and the 10% of players that actually love the club

as leigh matthews said most players play footy as they are good at it, not through love of the ball or a football club

undecided
Club Player

Armoooo wrote:

its just a number

and like at the West Coke Eagles

jays
Club Player

number 4 should be given soon imo

fingers
Saintsational Legend

maybe we make a bigger deal about numbers than the palyers

ace
Saintsational Legend

Some players may be interested in a low number on their back but most players are more interested in a high number in their contract.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Hurricane
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:

its just a number

as leigh matthews said most players play footy as they are good at it, not through love of the ball or a football club
That fact (if true) makes me actually quite sad and even a little bit angry.

IMHO the players dont have to love the club before they get there unless they are a fan of that particular club but IMHO success is built and maintained by players who bleed for eachother and the club, they love the club and want to see it doing well, if they didnt what would be the point of them running on the park every week.

There are better (and easier) ways of making fast cash than playing sport especially one as physically demanding as AFL football

I refuse to belive that blokes today play the game for dollars and dollars alone. Even if the club doesnt mean much to the boys when they first arrive surely the contributions of the legends of the game would mean something to you. After all there MUST be a reason a kid would play the game other than money.

BANG BANG

Mitsuharu Misawa 1962 - 2009.

I am vengeance....I am the night...I....AM.....BATMAN

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass and im all out of bubblegum
Batnoe

We have had some pretty bad players wear the number 5....

I know McEvoy might be pretty good but Fergus Watts was a dud, i think it is important for any number under 10 has to be given to you and not be the first draft pick and get the lowest number available

So if Armo comes on this year, he could get number 4 etc instead of Tom Lynch being the first draft pick to get the lowest number

ctqs
Club Player

I think jumper numbers mean more to the supporters than the players, to be truthful.
Interesting to note the squad's size is nearing 52, what it used to be in the old days when we had our own reserves team, and not a VFL affiliate.

Still waiting for closure ... if you get my drift.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Hurricane wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

its just a number

IMHO the players dont have to love the club before they get there unless they are a fan of that particular club but IMHO success is built and maintained by players who bleed for eachother and the club, they love the club and want to see it doing well, if they didnt what would be the point of them running on the park every week.

There are better (and easier) ways of making fast cash than playing sport especially one as physically demanding as AFL football

I refuse to belive that blokes today play the game for dollars and dollars alone. Even if the club doesnt mean much to the boys when they first arrive surely the contributions of the legends of the game would mean something to you. After all there MUST be a reason a kid would play the game other than money.

BANG BANG
Exactly, I don't care what anybody says our players LOVE the club, if it was about money why wouldn't they have gone elsewhere for bigger numbers? Why would players push themselves tot he extremes rather than coast through?

Players play for a lot of reasons and money is just one of them. (Even if it may be the biggest for some players *Cough* Judd *Cough*)

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:
Hurricane wrote:
Armoooo wrote:

its just a number

BANG BANG
Exactly, I don't care what anybody says our players LOVE the club, if it was about money why wouldn't they have gone elsewhere for bigger numbers? Why would players push themselves tot he extremes rather than coast through?

Players play for a lot of reasons and money is just one of them. (Even if it may be the biggest for some players *Cough* Judd *Cough*)
your first line is coming from someone who is either very naive or just plain immature...a select few would love and bleed for the club however to many it would seem like one of 10 victorian clubs they were drafted to, met some great mates and work

due to trading/pre-season drafting it is nye on impossible for players to get traded anymore, regardless of their love and passion for a football club...so why even try moving, creating a ruckus etc etc

and ever thought judd wanted to actually move to melbourne again???

it is common thought he sold out for money but hey...he was already set for life prior the eagles to using his money wisely...but sure armoooo...common nuff nuff thought is he actually is after the money but sure...ever thought it was a massive challenge to be at a club with a terrible list...turn it around and become something potent and successful???

footballers like challenges too you know...hey...its just human nature

one of our favourite sons hamill sold out didnt he??? and that was only cross town!!!

but we wont mention him and judd in the same sentence shall we???

no...ok???

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Are you suggesting that the majority of our established players don't love the club? I guess I must be naive because I really believe that they do.

Personally I have never played sport at any serious level, just under state soccer is the highest I've ever gotten but I tell you what I loved my club. I didn't get paid a cent. But the atmosphere, hanging out with the boys, playing a sport you love it really does become like a second home.

I don't believe that you could be there for more than 5 years without loving the place... unless you have relationship problems.

As for Hamill I thought he left because he was publicly critisiced by John Elliot? I could be wrong though. Judd was a hero in his home town and while Judd was very well off, he was still only earning the money of an elite footballer. Now he is earning the money of a jetsetter, even if most of it is under the table...

Again it'ss impossible for me to state somethign as a fact not being a part of the club, or knowing the players at all but I would have thought that being presented the number 3 jumper from Nathan Burke would have been one of the highlights of Xavier Clarke's life. It is such an honour and I really think he appreciated it.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Are you suggesting that the majority of our established players don't love the club? I guess I must be naive because I really believe that they do.

Personally I have never played sport at any serious level, just under state soccer is the highest I've ever gotten but I tell you what I loved my club. I didn't get paid a cent. But the atmosphere, hanging out with the boys, playing a sport you love it really does become like a second home.

I don't believe that you could be there for more than 5 years without loving the place... unless you have relationship problems.

As for Hamill I thought he left because he was publicly critisiced by John Elliot? I could be wrong though. Judd was a hero in his home town and while Judd was very well off, he was still only earning the money of an elite footballer. Now he is earning the money of a jetsetter, even if most of it is under the table...

Again it'ss impossible for me to state somethign as a fact not being a part of the club, or knowing the players at all but I would have thought that being presented the number 3 jumper from Nathan Burke would have been one of the highlights of Xavier Clarke's life. It is such an honour and I really think he appreciated it.
I have no doubt it was a highlight getting the number 3 off X but it is only a number. The most overated thing we talk about at this club and all other clubs is numbers. We love numbers because of the players that may have warn them but I reckon players couldnt give stuff what number they get unless it is a favourite number of theirs.

As for players loving the club I reckon they all love the club during a season but again not like supporters. For example a player on the verge of getting a game may be hoping we would lose the next game or at least get some injuries so he gets a game. Would a supporter want that. I dont think so. As for loving the club long term most once they leave really couldnt give a dam about how we go unless they have been long term players.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Armoooo wrote:Are you suggesting that the majority of our established players don't love the club? I guess I must be naive because I really believe that they do.

I have no doubt it was a highlight getting the number 3 off X but it is only a number. The most overated thing we talk about at this club and all other clubs is numbers. We love numbers because of the players that may have warn them but I reckon players couldnt give stuff what number they get unless it is a favourite number of theirs.

As for players loving the club I reckon they all love the club during a season but again not like supporters. For example a player on the verge of getting a game may be hoping we would lose the next game or at least get some injuries so he gets a game. Would a supporter want that. I dont think so. As for loving the club long term most once they leave really couldnt give a dam about how we go unless they have been long term players.
human nature and emotion.....

avid
Club Player

QUOTE -- as leigh matthews said most players play footy as they are good at it, not through love of the ball or a football club --

Ken Sheldon told me once that 95% of the players were motivated by the love of the club -- only a few stood out as only in it for themselves.

I do think the draft must be slowly eroding true club loyalties. But when you see a player like BJ being so passionate about the Saints, even though he once clearly barracked passionately for Carlton, you can see that transformations do genuinely take place.

The history and traditions of the club must play a part in this. And it's factors like the champions who previously carried the numbers on their backs that surely bring out the pride.

Batnoe

avid wrote:QUOTE -- as leigh matthews said most players play footy as they are good at it, not through love of the ball or a football club --

Ken Sheldon told me once that 95% of the players were motivated by the love of the club -- only a few stood out as only in it for themselves.

I do think the draft must be slowly eroding true club loyalties. But when you see a player like BJ being so passionate about the Saints, even though he once clearly barracked passionately for Carlton, you can see that transformations do genuinely take place.

The history and traditions of the club must play a part in this. And it's factors like the champions who previously carried the numbers on their backs that surely bring out the pride.
I do agree that BJ loves the saints, but the tapping on the heart is a little sign to his brother in jail... He loves being at the saints, but i think he loves playing the game he loves... i dont think he will ever go to the blues, but if we traded him to any other team he will play with the same emotion- thats the way he is- a champion!!

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Batnoe wrote:
avid wrote:QUOTE -- as leigh matthews said most players play footy as they are good at it, not through love of the ball or a football club --

I do agree that BJ loves the saints, but the tapping on the heart is a little sign to his brother in jail... He loves being at the saints, but i think he loves playing the game he loves... i dont think he will ever go to the blues, but if we traded him to any other team he will play with the same emotion- thats the way he is- a champion!!
pretty much, im thankful he is at our club

however he would be as passionate if he was programmed as a don, blue, lion or hell...even a docker