Classic Matches of the last five seasons

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Classic Matches of the last five seasons

Since the 2004 season, we have had some absolute ripping victories.

Here is my cream of the crop.

Round 6 - Saints defeat Lions - The one point blockbuster was almost a bitter sweet victory due to the Aussie Jones behind, but still a darn fine match.

Qualifying Final - Saints defeat Crows - Most probably the match Harvey will be most remember for.

Round 11 - Saints defeat Swans - We seek revenge in a low scoring, wet-weather epic.

Round 12 - Saints defeat West Coast - The Saints were not only the second Victorian team to defeat West Coast in the last 60-odd matches played at Subiaco, but Harvey was rewarded the most unlikely victory for his 350th match.

Round 15 - Saints defeat Adelaide - Probably the first real classic at the dome since the '04 clash with the Lions. This saw the Saints grind out a hard-earned two point victory and re-ignite their bid for top 8.

Round 14 - Saints defeat Kangaroos - This is currently my favourite match, mainly because I was there. To be at Gold Coast stadium, see Kangaroos boot the first five goals but to then see the Saints run the match out as three-goal winners was electric. The noise from the Saints supporters alone almost tore the stadium down.

Round 16 - Saints defeat Hawks - To go into the half-time break, down by four goals but to be eventual winners by five goals - say no more.

Round 22 - Saints defeat Bombers - Needed to smash the Bombers by 100+ to seal top four. Seemed virtually impossible! But for once our boys took destiny into their own hands and claimed top four in the most exciting of circumstances.

Semi Final - Saints v Magpies - A great match for many reasons, not just because it was a finals win. Coming off the back of a good, old fashioned thrashing by the Cats with the entire football world against us, having lost both of our encounters against the Pies that year already. Our boys re-affirmed their top four status to run out 34 point winners. Certainly stopped those loud-mouthed, c**k-sure Pies fans in their tracks!

There it is my, my favourites of the recent era. Feel free to add!

Zed
SS Hall of Fame

hard to go past that list .. was Round 6 2004 vs Lions the game where Troy Schwarze sealed it with a long bomb running goal ? .. I was at that game and stil lget goosebumps thinking about it.

2005 QF vs Crows is probably my favourite of that lot - to be in the crowd and watch the Saints go in with an undermanned backline and win - the look on hte crows fans faces - priceless !!. I think the small crowd of Saints faithful danced behind the goals for about 10 or 15 minutes after the final siren - I loved being part of it !.

Life is never more fun than when you're the underdog competing against the giants.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Classic Matches of the last five seasons

SydneySainter wrote:2008
Round 14 - Saints defeat Kangaroos - This is currently my favourite match, mainly because I was there. To be at Gold Coast stadium, see Kangaroos boot the first five goals but to then see the Saints run the match out as three-goal winners was electric. The noise from the Saints supporters alone almost tore the stadium down.

Round 16 - Saints defeat Hawks - To go into the half-time break, down by four goals but to be eventual winners by five goals - say no more.
!
they were both great wins but the worrying thing about both was how we got to five goals down to begin with.

we need to pile on scoreboard pressure right from the beginning of matches and not have to rely on herculean efforts from riewoldt to get back into them.

SydneySainter wrote:Round 22 - Saints defeat Bombers - Needed to smash the Bombers by 100+ to seal top four. Seemed virtually impossible! But for once our boys took destiny into their own hands and claimed top four in the most exciting of circumstances!
this was a great win, albeit against manangatang thirds.

kicking goals was the order of the day. we were forced to try and score heavily to make the top 4 and, for once in 2008, we did it.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

I'd throw Round 4 2005 v Melbourne in there. The Dees were undefeated atop the the ladder with a percentage greater than 150.

We were without a number of our big name players including Riewoldt, Kosi and Harvey. Cam Bruce was running hot and was the early Brownlow favourite.

Guerra layed a perfectly legal tackle and did Bruce's shoulder.

We were down at half time by a few points but two seven goal quarters saw us run out winners by 47 points.

ThePunter
Club Player

In the Docklands era, the top ten would be (in chronolgical order)

2001 v Hawthorn @ MCG
2003 v Brisbane @ Docklands
2003 v Kangaroos @ Docklands
2004 v Brisbane @ Docklands
2005 v Adelaide @ AAMI Stadium
2006 v Sydney @ SCG
2007 v West Coast @ Subiaco
2007 v Adelaide @ Docklands
2008 v North Melbourne @ Cararra
2008 v Hawthorn @ Docklands

jays
Club Player

vs brisbane was best for years great games

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Zed wrote:.. was Round 6 2004 vs Lions the game where Troy Schwarze sealed it with a long bomb running goal ? .. I was at that game and stil lget goosebumps thinking about it.
Yeah! Schwarze always had his critics, me included! But that moment will still be remembered for years to come!

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:I'd throw Round 4 2005 v Melbourne in there. The Dees were undefeated atop the the ladder with a percentage greater than 150.

We were without a number of our big name players including Riewoldt, Kosi and Harvey. Cam Bruce was running hot and was the early Brownlow favourite.

We were down at half time by a few points but two seven goal quarters saw us run out winners by 47 points.
The return game at the G was an absolute blinder too. The most explosive 1st quarter of footy Ive seen in years. Was Roo's first game back from shoulder trouble and the Dees "tough guys" MIller etc were testing it out. Hamill, Powell etc flew the flag, the Dees played the man and we kicked 8 for the quarter, including 4 to Dal. Was breathtaking stuff..and we ended up winning by 80-something points

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

saint66au wrote:
Life Long Saint wrote:I'd throw Round 4 2005 v Melbourne in there. The Dees were undefeated atop the the ladder with a percentage greater than 150.

The return game at the G was an absolute blinder too. The most explosive 1st quarter of footy Ive seen in years. Was Roo's first game back from shoulder trouble and the Dees "tough guys" MIller etc were testing it out. Hamill, Powell etc flew the flag, the Dees played the man and we kicked 8 for the quarter, including 4 to Dal. Was breathtaking stuff..and we ended up winning by 80-something points
4 goals to Dal in the first quarter, five overall! Max kept Neitz to zip, hard to knock!

Another match worthy of note was the Round 14 clash against the Dogs @ the G. I think Roo re-fractured his collarbone so it was a bitter-sweet victory, but Kosi was just everywhere, the start of his mid-season purple patch. Ugly but one for the purists!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
saint66au wrote:

4 goals to Dal in the first quarter, five overall! Max kept Neitz to zip, hard to knock!

Another match worthy of note was the Round 14 clash against the Dogs @ the G. I think Roo re-fractured his collarbone so it was a bitter-sweet victory, but Kosi was just everywhere, the start of his mid-season purple patch. Ugly but one for the purists!
yet we have noone capable apart from goddard and goose of flying any kind of flag anymore...let alone 'the' flag...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
saint66au wrote:

yet we have noone capable apart from goddard and goose of flying any kind of flag anymore...let alone 'the' flag...
Id add Lenny, Bakes (when fit) and Max to that list. Maxie is one the most vocal sledgers in the comp

Of the young un's...Armo is more than willing to get involved in the push n shove

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
SydneySainter wrote:
saint66au wrote:

Id add Lenny, Bakes (when fit) and Max to that list. Maxie is one the most vocal sledgers in the comp

Of the young un's...Armo is more than willing to get involved in the push n shove
i love maximus however i get the giggles when he resorts to pushing and shoving

lenny doesnt do it as much as thought....imo he is a bloody tough player and a gun at that however his idea of tought stuff is in and under...fine by me

goddard seemingly enjoys getting cranky at anyone

goose tends to enjoy a bit of a barney...good to see...nothing better than a tough backman going to a key forward and roughing him up

baker too...however one would hope it just ends at pushing and shoving

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I beg to differ re Lenny & flying the flag SP08. Cast your mind back to the infamous "Sirengate" game in Tassie & the game against the Doggies at the Dome when Kosi got crunched. He's always one of the first in to retaliate & has had several reports out of it. Thankfully doesn't get rubbed out too often though.

axcellence
Club Player

I think the game in 2005 - against Bulldogs where Kosi turned it on was quite a special one as well. Riewoldt had gone down in the first 5 minutes of the game.

To comeback from such a loss with gehrig, milne and kosi dominating was quite spectacular.

Another game I remember is the game against Freo in 2004 - round 8. Everyone was predicting a loss to St Kilda... Akermanis wrote St Kilda off at the footy show. Freo was on its Subi hoodoo. Freo didn't even kick a goal in the first half.

fingers
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:
saint66au wrote:

ooohh man I loved that day. LOVED IT!

SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Probably should have added to '04 semi final victory over the Swans at the G. Not only a good rebound from that massacre Brisbane gave us the week before, but being from Sydney and hating the Swans, always good wipe the smirk from those fickle supporters.

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Megamaguire
Club Player

Beatin Geewrong

I Remember walking up to the Dome to hear it was sold out - i think the year was 2006 or 2005 - sorry that's hopeless i know.
However i caught a glimpse of G-train on the scoreboard sliding one through the big sticks to put the Saints in the lead early on. Althought disappointed about not getting a seat i headed back for the train not too disappointed with the knowledge that we were in front against geewrong.

As you can tell i'm not a big rap for geelong but i have to acknowledge their great commitment to team in reaching a second grand final in a row.

I'd love to beat the cats in 2009

G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.