Ross Lyon : Interview Post Intra Club Match

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Saintsime
Club Player

Ross Lyon : Interview Post Intra Club Match

http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/ ... lief-64503

Mindful of serious injury setbacks earlier in the day at Carlton and Essendon, St Kilda coach Ross Lyon was delighted to see his players walk off the field in good shape following Friday evening's intra-club at Moorabbin.

"We got what we wanted out if it - we moved the ball quickly and shared it around with hands," said Lyon.

"But in the context of what's occurred in the past 24 hours in terms of intra-clubs with significant injuries (a shattered ankle for Bomber Andrew Welsh and broken forearm for the Blues' Andrew Carrazzo), we're pleased to get out unscathed."

Stephen Milne and Justin Koschitzke kicked seven goals between them for a 'probables' line-up that's a pointer to who will play in the Saints' NAB Cup opener against the Brisbane Lions on the Gold Coast on Saturday week.

Playing on a wing, Farren Ray gave the 'probables' plenty of run and spread and teamed well in the middle with Leigh Montagna and Nick Dal Santo.

Former Lion Colm Begley was solid at the back and Matt Maguire completed all four 10-minute quarters in a key defensive role and did enough to suggest he's ready to put the past two injury-ravaged seasons behind him.

"He'll play a part this year, we're not sure how big a part, but there were some reasonable signs today," said Lyon of Maguire.

"He moved quite well."

Sam Gilbert played forward and Lyon said he believes the 22-year-old could be an effective foil for Koschitzke and skipper Nick Riewoldt who was among a long list of senior players including Luke Ball, Lenny Hayes, Steven Baker and Max Hudghton who didn't take part in Friday's workout.

"We're experimenting with him, it's exciting for him, he loves it," said Lyon of Gilbert and his attacking role.

"We're trying to find that third tall in the Aaron Hamill mould - hard and tough and quick."

The St Kilda faithful got their first look at rookie Ross Tangatalum, a small forward whose matchstick legs carry him across the turf at warp speed and who's set to become a new cult figure at Moorabbin.

"It doesn’t take long, does it," laughed Lyon. "He's got some exquisite skills, but he's light at 65 kilos."

"He's a really a three-year project at 18 and you'd like to think that by the time he's turned 21 he'll put on 10-12 kilos and then we'll have a skilful forward who pressures."

n1ck
Saintsational Legend

Gilbo up front is exciting.

I wonder if it would be possible to play Gilbo and Goose as swingmen, depending on matchups, as the 3rd forward or back.

Thought Goose may have played a half up front for one of the teams today, see how he leads and marks when the opportunity presents.

You know he will always give 100% and bring abit of agro into whatever he does and he has a a massive roost when his legs are good.

Was drafted as a forward originally too, although didnt have much luck in his first few games, especially when rotated through the ruck in certain games.

Will be an interesting season for some of these big fellas.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

n1ck wrote:Gilbo up front is exciting.

I wonder if it would be possible to play Gilbo and Goose as swingmen, depending on matchups, as the 3rd forward or back.

Thought Goose may have played a half up front for one of the teams today, see how he leads and marks when the opportunity presents.

You know he will always give 100% and bring abit of agro into whatever he does and he has a a massive roost when his legs are good.

Was drafted as a forward originally too, although didnt have much luck in his first few games, especially when rotated through the ruck in certain games.

Goose has a turning circle as big as the Queen Mary. He is a backman or a seconds player.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

I picked Gilbert early on as our King of Swing.

A tallish player that can play forward or back...

Up forward his pace could see him apply great defensive pressure.....as well as being able to break free to offera lead.

Even though muted by some asa possible FB...I think he is more suited toa flank..whether back or forward.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
The OtherThommo
Saintsational Legend

Signed back in for the first time in ages, for one reason only.........

This freakin sad sack who calls himself Plugger66. Matt Maguire works his arse off to get back after horrendous leg injuries, and this 2 bob smartarse suggests hack town for a bloke who has a fair dinkum go.

Go back a couple of years and this prick was my bitch. I even got which school he went to - I was firmly inside his head. Archive searches will show fellow posters how soft this mellon is.

I'm here 'cos I like Matt Maguire. To persist as he has is testament to a bloke with fair dinkum grunt.

And, I'm freakin' sick of half baked shytebags who think they work cute at the expense of blokes like Maguire.

So, here's an idea - stuff Plugger66. Let's tell him. His stuff is cheap.

All those in favour?

'I have no new illusions, and I have no old illusions' - Vladimir Putin, Geneva, June 2021
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

The OtherThommo wrote:Signed back in for the first time in ages, for one reason only.........

This freakin sad sack who calls himself Plugger66. Matt Maguire works his arse off to get back after horrendous leg injuries, and this 2 bob smartarse suggests hack town for a bloke who has a fair dinkum go.

Go back a couple of years and this prick was my bitch. I even got which school he went to - I was firmly inside his head. Archive searches will show fellow posters how soft this mellon is.

I'm here 'cos I like Matt Maguire. To persist as he has is testament to a bloke with fair dinkum grunt.

And, I'm freakin' sick of half baked shytebags who think they work cute at the expense of blokes like Maguire.

All those in favour?
Hey brain dead. When did I have a go ay Goose. I said he is a backman or a seconds player because he cannot play forward. To me he is a very important player in our backline and I thought he did pretty well in the interclub game. The more you write the funnier you sound. Are you that other Thommo you know the one who had his brain removed.

As for getting inside my head because you know what school I went to well you are having a serious lend of yourself. The only reason I would even think about you is that I pity you.

iremember66
Club Player

plugger66 wrote:
The OtherThommo wrote:Signed back in for the first time in ages, for one reason only.........

All those in favour?
Hey brain dead. When did I have a go ay Goose. I said he is a backman or a seconds player because he cannot play forward. To me he is a very important player in our backline and I thought he did pretty well in the interclub game. The more you write the funnier you sound. Are you that other Thommo you know the one who had his brain removed.

As for getting inside my head because you know what school I went to well you are having a serious lend of yourself. The only reason I would even think about you is that I pity you.

Posted: Sat 07 Feb 2009 5:22am

5:22am !!!!!

no comment...

well, a little comment. Why were you up at trhat time?? Or are you os? Or have you re-set your clock??

5:22am ...

On a weekend!!! :o

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

iremember66 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:

All those in favour?

Posted: Sat 07 Feb 2009 5:22am

5:22am !!!!!

no comment...

well, a little comment. Why were you up at trhat time?? Or are you os? Or have you re-set your clock??

5:22am ...

On a weekend!!! :o
It was 6.22am actually and I wish I wasnt up but had to do something very early in the morning. I am stuffed now.

Megamaguire
Club Player

"Gilbert and his attacking role" Yea!

"We're experimenting with him, it's exciting for him, he loves it," said Lyon of Gilbert and his attacking role.

Great to hear Rossi is seriously building Gilbes skill base and prepared to give him a go in the forward line.
From the get go i always thought Gilbe had plenty of enthusiasm and dedication.
As a 3rd. tall that functions well on the St. Kilda forward line Gilbe could set us alight . Glad that Rossi recognises the impact Hamill had and the need to basically replace the special energy Aaron brought to the Saints.
Gilbert is his own type of player perhaps with a greater range than Hammer but i hope this is the big master stroke we've been waiting for.

G O F O R IT G I L B E !
G O S A I N T S !

The boy can play and we can build a defence around him that will have respect.
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

Gilbert would be handy up forward, obviously can tackle, quite tall but when the ball hits the ground he isn't useless, moves very well.

Carpe Diem
midas_touch
Club Player

It would be interesting to see if Gilbo does play forward in the NAB cup games, and to see what impact he has. Honestly, I've never seen him as being a KPP as well, and that a role like this would be more suited to his body type and abilities. It could potentially add an extra dimension to our lineup and make us a more potent scoring team, so I'll be waiting in excitement to see how this all goes.

Trust the Midas Touch

"My heart is at St.Kilda, I've been here seven years, I only wanted to play for them." (Fraser Gehrig, 27/11/2007)
BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When Voss played a good game up fwd in 2005, he was the new Aaron Hamill and GT was a genius for trying it, two weeks later GT was an idiot for not playing Voss in his rightful position at HB......

so careful with the premature ejaculation...and put it in perspective

Gilbo played on a Sandy opponent who was about 5'11".....he had a midfield of Dal, Montagna, Ray, Goddard, CJ, Sam Fisher up against Steven, McQualter, L.Fisher, Armo, McGarry and they were doing as they pleased....Nick Riewoldt would have had 15 shots at goal if he was in the same situation as Gilbo

So lets wait and see how he goes against real opposition before annointing him as the next ROK.....he played fwd against freo last season and looked like a chook with its head cut off - he was lost....

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BigMart wrote:So lets wait and see how he goes against real opposition before annointing him ... he played fwd against freo last season and looked like a chook with its head cut off - he was lost
you're right. it's wait and see, but i applaud the experiment.

imo we must find another tall, marking avenue to goal apart from riewoldt to be able to go close to teams like hawthorn for firepower.

if gilbert doesn't work out, there are other candidates including s. fisher, bj, raph and, down the track a bit, lynch.

whether gilbert is or isn't the answer, at least there is recognition that our forward set up isn't what it could be.

so congratulations to RL for playing some shots and thinking outside the box.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
BigMart wrote:So lets wait and see how he goes against real opposition before annointing him ... he played fwd against freo last season and looked like a chook with its head cut off - he was lost
you're right. it's wait and see, but i applaud the experiment.

imo we must find another tall, marking avenue to goal apart from riewoldt to be able to go close to teams like hawthorn for firepower.

if gilbert doesn't work out, there are other candidates including s. fisher, bj, raph and, down the track a bit, lynch.

whether gilbert is or isn't the answer, at least there is recognition that our forward set up isn't what it could be.

so congratulations to RL for playing some shots and thinking outside the box.
It doesnt seem to worry Geelong not having 3 talls up forward and yes I know the Hawks won the flag. It is the midfielders who get the ball to the forward line that set up the goals and that is why the Cats only lost 2 games last year and that is why the Hawks won the flag last year.

That is why you will not see BJ, raph or Chips forward apart from games where we are in real trouble.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:It doesnt seem to worry Geelong not having 3 talls up forward and yes I know the Hawks won the flag. It is the midfielders who get the ball to the forward line that set up the goals and that is why the Cats only lost 2 games last year and that is why the Hawks won the flag last year.

That is why you will not see BJ, raph or Chips forward apart from games where we are in real trouble.
so what do you make of gilbert being annointed to play there by the coach? :wink: perhaps he sees over-reliance on riewoldt as a problem? i know i do.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:It doesnt seem to worry Geelong not having 3 talls up forward and yes I know the Hawks won the flag. It is the midfielders who get the ball to the forward line that set up the goals and that is why the Cats only lost 2 games last year and that is why the Hawks won the flag last year.

so what do you make of gilbert being annointed to play there by the coach? :wink: perhaps he sees over-reliance on riewoldt as a problem? i know i do.
I suppose someone has to play there and he is the most expendible down back but if we had a medium marking forward I am pretty sure they would get the gig. Heyne could be that man in the future.

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

plugger66 wrote:
n1ck wrote:Gilbo up front is exciting.

Goose has a turning circle as big as the Queen Mary. He is a backman or a seconds player.
Non-sequiteur?

If Goose played as a forward, I would assume we'd have our gameplan set around having him run in straight lines. I don't really think his turning circle would prevent him playing the role. Perhaps I'm missing your point, if you elaborate, I'm happier with the idea of Goose returning slowly to his old guise than becoming the new Cameron Mooney, so I'm happy enough to be wrong.

And... isn't the Queen Mary the boat with side rotors so that she can can turn on her Axis?

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford
rexy
SS Life Member

Wouldnt matter if we had Peter McKenna and Bernie Quinlan in the pockets, if they just kick it at Reiwoldt every time then Gilbo wont get a kick and will end up a wasted talent and moved back to defense.

Maybe this year?
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:Wouldnt matter if we had Peter McKenna and Bernie Quinlan in the pockets, if they just kick it at Reiwoldt every time then Gilbo wont get a kick and will end up a wasted talent and moved back to defense.
well done Rex very true.

Its not just about talent its about STRUCTURE, SET UP and DELIVERY and last season the reliance on Roo against Hawks/Cats particularly was sad.
Thanks largely to the lemon J Barker.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

I suppose someone has to play there and he is the most expendible down back but if we had a medium marking forward I am pretty sure they would get the gig. Heyne could be that man in the future.
every year there are a few late draft picks who either slide or everone passes up on them a few times that have a little something about them...

they play well early and get a few good games in the seniors...

heyne looks to be one of these...much like ballyntyne from the dockers

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Saints Premiers 2008 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
bigcarl wrote:

every year there are a few late draft picks who either slide or everone passes up on them a few times that have a little something about them...

they play well early and get a few good games in the seniors...

heyne looks to be one of these...much like ballyntyne from the dockers
Its certainly our turn for one of those!

Can anyone remember the last time a late pick (or any pick come to that) for us had a breakout first season? Wasnt Chipper, took him til season 2

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor