Resignation of Archie Fraser

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

You're right, such shows as 'Soccer AM' still exist - and there's a 'Soccer Express' bus in Merseyside to get to games, for example.

So it will always have a small place - hence Socceroos.

However, football fans here have decided to reject the tag, so while you can call it what you want if it helps you sleep at night, they'll be calling it football.

I sure hope Archie Fraser can help bring the WC 2018 to Australia...I'd forgive him for everything :)
Last edited by evertonfc on Wed 25 Feb 2009 7:13pm, edited 1 time in total.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:
tweedaletomanning wrote:Just want to know why he was looking for another job in the first place?

OR, was he doing such an outstanding job at the saints that FFA targetted him?

So was(is) he the BEST sporting club CEO in Australia??
he was approached
On SEN
the FFA- A league job was not advertised....
does not mean he did not approach given rumor of soccer world cup bid consortium.

saint4life
casey scorp
Club Player

With soccer playing and sports administration backgrounds he's a good fit for the role.

You'd think that the planets came into alignment for both parties - probably someone made a tentative approach to him, and he responded positively and it grew from there.

chook23
Saintsational Legend

February 25, 2009
Article from: Australian Associated Press

"ST KILDA chief executive Archie Fraser has become the second senior AFL executive to switch to soccer, taking a new role as head of the A-League.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has head-hunted Fraser in its wide-ranging reorganisation as it prepares its World Cup bid team.

Ben Buckley was chief operating officer at the AFL before he became the FFA chief executive.
Buckley said Fraser, a former professional soccer player, would have a major role within the FFA.

"Growth and expansion of the Hyundai A-League is critical to the growth of football in Australia and is an absolute priority for FFA," Buckley said.

"Archie has not only played the game to a high level, he's also a professional sports administrator and he has a first class commercial and strategic background.

"Although he has worked in AFL for the past several years, he is the first to acknowledge that his No 1 sporting passion is, and always has been, football."
Fraser played soccer in his native Scotland and then Queensland.

He was a consultant for St Kilda before becoming its commercial operations manager in 2005 and its chief executive the following year.

The Saints have set no timetable on when Fraser will leave or when they will appoint his successor.

NOW I am confused!!
:wink:

Buckley the head of FFA refrred to it as SOCCER.

saint4life
degruch
Saintsational Legend

evertonfc wrote:
chook23 wrote:savvy crap nowdays in media ......
We don't live in the US, so I'll call it football; you can call it soccer if you're that keen resist change and stick with the Yanks.

I have no problems with Socceroos; it's a brand that's grown beyond the prefix, so it's fine with me and the majority of the football community.
Isn't it 'The World Game' (i.e. I'm going to the park to kick the worldball around)??? :?

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
casey scorp wrote:
I also think he might have been short-changed by receiving some poor advice from others about the original Frankston project, which set a course from which there was no turning back and which ultimately will end up on the rocks – particularly if the project cost is starting to escalate (now $15 million according to the FFA site), with the Saints paying all costs over $9 million.

I reckon Archie might just be pleased to be out of St KFC.
Absolutely, he'd be tickled pink, when the shyte really does hit the fan, sunning himself on the Gold Coast and sipping pina colada's!

So is it already true that there are cost blowouts ( 15 million )?

With St kilda having to pay everything over 9 million the white elephant in the back blocks of Seaford, just gets bigger and bigger!
I've just had a gut full of your flowering CRAP....

Read the post about the clash strip/away strip....

AND GET A FLOWERING CLUE!

Your two year pathetic campaign is just getting too monotonous and flowering boring...

You can't even type St Kilda correctly and flowering carry on about tradition.

Yes this keyboard stuff can become tiresome and again I would like to meet you again at the football and really demonstrate just what I think of you.
Calm down...please!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
stinger
Saintsational Legend

one headline i saw.....

"St Kilda shocked as chief executive Archie Fraser walks away to join the A-League"

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:Why three pages about some minor administrative employee leaving??

Are you lot bored or something?
Correct JB.

You forgot to mention minor, OVERPAID employee!

Let's just hope for Stinger and Plugger's immense benefit that the Scottish Git helps Australia become the host of the World Cup in 2018 :lol: :lol: :lol:

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
casey scorp wrote:
I also think he might have been short-changed by receiving some poor advice from others about the original Frankston project, which set a course from which there was no turning back and which ultimately will end up on the rocks – particularly if the project cost is starting to escalate (now $15 million according to the FFA site), with the Saints paying all costs over $9 million.

Absolutely, he'd be tickled pink, when the shyte really does hit the fan, sunning himself on the Gold Coast and sipping pina colada's!

With St kilda having to pay everything over 9 million the white elephant in the back blocks of Seaford, just gets bigger and bigger!

Your two year pathetic campaign is just getting too monotonous and flowering boring...

Yes this keyboard stuff can become tiresome and again I would like to meet you again at the football and really demonstrate just what I think of you.
Calm down...please!!
Why should I???

the poster has demonstrated that he has no idea of "tradition" and the requirement of the white strip... let alone on how to type St Kilda....

and yet he posts the same crapola time and time again

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintspremiers wrote:
joffaboy wrote:Why three pages about some minor administrative employee leaving??

Are you lot bored or something?
Correct JB.

You forgot to mention minor, OVERPAID employee!

Let's just hope for Stinger and Plugger's immense benefit that the Scottish Git helps Australia become the host of the World Cup in 2018 :lol: :lol: :lol:

not going to happen..... :roll:

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:
saint66au wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

Calm down...please!!
Why should I???

the poster has demonstrated that he has no idea of "tradition" and the requirement of the white strip... let alone on how to type St Kilda....

Because the bolded section of the above post could be construed as a threat...unless you'd care to explain what you meant?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Solar
Saintsational Legend

thanks archie for your time and effort. I hope the club looks at every option in a search for the third most important position outside of the coach and captain.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
casey scorp
Club Player

chook23 wrote:February 25, 2009
Article from: Australian Associated Press

"ST KILDA chief executive Archie Fraser has become the second senior AFL executive to switch to soccer, taking a new role as head of the A-League.

Football Federation Australia (FFA) has head-hunted Fraser in its wide-ranging reorganisation as it prepares its World Cup bid team.

Ben Buckley was chief operating officer at the AFL before he became the FFA chief executive.
Buckley said Fraser, a former professional soccer player, would have a major role within the FFA.

"Growth and expansion of the Hyundai A-League is critical to the growth of football in Australia and is an absolute priority for FFA," Buckley said.

"Archie has not only played the game to a high level, he's also a professional sports administrator and he has a first class commercial and strategic background.

"Although he has worked in AFL for the past several years, he is the first to acknowledge that his No 1 sporting passion is, and always has been, football."
Fraser played soccer in his native Scotland and then Queensland.

He was a consultant for St Kilda before becoming its commercial operations manager in 2005 and its chief executive the following year.

The Saints have set no timetable on when Fraser will leave or when they will appoint his successor.

NOW I am confused!!
:wink:

Buckley the head of FFA refrred to it as SOCCER.
I don't think Buckley referred to it as soccer - AAP did. Any reference to soccer in the AAP article is not a direct quote.

And the FFA website:

Fraser is a former professional football player in Scotland and Queensland Premier League player in Australia.

“Archie has not only played the game to a high level, he’s also a professional sports administrator and he has a first class commercial and strategic background. Although he has worked in AFL for the past several years, he is the first to acknowledge that his number one sporting passion is, and always has been, football.â€

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the goss from big footy

"Archie will be replaced by Matt Hanson.

He is currently Chief Operating Officer for Melbourne Storm and was a former CFO of both Telstra Dome and St Kilda.

Mad saints supporter who is a perfect candidate and wil get the job."

RockyBalboa

casey scorp
Club Player

Notwithstanding that there will be a "process", I don't think it would be a lay down mazare at this early stage.

St KFC would need to give thorough consideration to this decision.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

If this is the case, did Archie perhaps give his two weeks notice?

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

casey scorp wrote:Notwithstanding that there will be a "process", I don't think it would be a lay down mazare at this early stage.

I am so glad you didn't say "due dilligence" :wink:

casey scorp
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:If this is the case, did Archie perhaps give his two weeks notice?
I'd be surprised if Archie could get out in 2 weeks (unless the club is happy to see him go). Buckley will want him quickly, but St KFC would want to retain him for a couple of months while they did their own search and appointment. I'd be surprised if they didn't agree on 4-6 weeks.

Despite the GC moving van theory, FFA is based in Sydney. He'll need to find some new digs, so 4-6 weeks will cover off on that process as well.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

the rough estimate from both Greg and Archie today was - 'a couple of months'

Full hand over.....

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

barks4eva wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:Does that mean Seaford is out and Elsternwick Park is back on the agenda? :)
The club need look no further, I am available!
Archie has secured a position that just shows his worth, a position a the head of a league and his tenure at the Club was fantastic and again his value as a CEO has been demonstrated by his appointment.

If you want a position at the Club there maybe one as giving flyers or records and the Sandringham reserves matches, but I would doubt whether you have enough credentials to suit that position, still keep trying and you never know if someone goes sick they just may need you on standby...

Go for it, it maybe your only chance to represent the Club :roll:

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
saintm
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:
casey scorp wrote:Notwithstanding that there will be a "process", I don't think it would be a lay down mazare at this early stage.

They will surely have to make sure they "tick all the boxes", though!! :lol:

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

Calm down...please!!
dont tell him to calm down...do something about his continuous postings of the same topics

its called trolling and is outlined in the saintsational guidelines and apparently isn't allowed or at the very least looked poorly upon

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

saint66au wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
saint66au wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:
barks4eva wrote:
casey scorp wrote:

Calm down...please!!
Why should I???

Because the bolded section of the above post could be construed as a threat...unless you'd care to explain what you meant?
Explained via PM ......

and really what's the point?

Flower the bold section and look at what I typed as a whole :idea:

Saints7
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:You're right, such shows as 'Soccer AM' still exist - and there's a 'Soccer Express' bus in Merseyside to get to games, for example.

So it will always have a small place - hence Socceroos.

However, football fans here have decided to reject the tag, so while you can call it what you want if it helps you sleep at night, they'll be calling it football.

I sure hope Archie Fraser can help bring the WC 2018 to Australia...I'd forgive him for everything :)
exactly right Everton,

I guess it depends on your upbringing what you call the code and in what context. I'm mad EPL and have lived in the UK. They call it football or footie all the time. But here in Oz we get soccer and football, football is the 'new' term for it here as we are participating in global events now regularly via Asian Cups, and Asian Champions League, and World Cups etc.

Rugby League supporters also call their code football and rugby, so its the same thing. Our newer followers to our code in the northern states refer to our game as football or AFL. So there is no right answer IMO.

casey scorp
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:

I said the "p" word just reflecting back on the GT appointment. But I've just seen the quote attributed to Greg Westaway on realfooty:

"We'll now begin a process for his replacement and I'm confident that we'll find someone of the calibre to continue the good work done to date."

Aaaagh.