Which past player would you choose?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Which past player would you choose?

On another thread there is some debating on who is/was our greatest player.

IMO no one dominated and caused so much damage and head aches to other teams and coaches week in week out as Lockett.

So I'm interested in knowing if you had a choice of any one of our past players in their prime to play for us today who would that be and why?

GrumpyOne

To be terribly punny, the one we need is in your nick. :wink:

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Plugger, the most dominant force I have seen play at the saints. Had the ability to win the game off his own boot, which he did often... but in context of the team today and the value he would bring, he would bring real toughness and agro back which we really lack. Dont get me wrong we have a lot of incredibly courageous players but we lack someone with real mongrel that can put the fear of God into oppositions. Plugger certainly did that!!

TriColourDisciple
Club Player

I'm tipping that this thread will virtually mirror the other one

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Have to agree on plugger.

JABBER
Club Player

which past player would i choose

plugger was graet in the past era i think he would struggle against the flood or zones. also if he touched anyone today he would get longer suspentions.
For me its hard to say maybe the skill of a I Stewart would be handy the G&T of a Greg Burns or link up player like N Winmar who could kick very long with both feet then you got the leadership qualities of D Frawley

trevor barker
bob__71
Club Player

Re: which past player would i choose

JABBER wrote:plugger was graet in the past era i think he would struggle against the flood or zones. also if he touched anyone today he would get longer suspentions.
For me its hard to say maybe the skill of a I Stewart would be handy the G&T of a Greg Burns or link up player like N Winmar who could kick very long with both feet then you got the leadership qualities of D Frawley
Plugger was the first player who had to play against the zone/flood. He did alright then.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Greg Burns drinks gin and tonic?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

TriColourDisciple wrote:I'm tipping that this thread will virtually mirror the other one
It shouldn't because who you think might have been our greatest player may not be the most valuable to our side now.

JABBER
Club Player

past players you would choose

I wrote plugger was a great player the best forward we would ever see. do we need a full foward if we can choose from the past Imagine having someone like I Stewart in our midfield to complete with Geelong and Hawthorn we need more quality players through the midfield
I think we all agree that st kilda has have a lot very good players in the past but only one flag

trevor barker
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Plugger. No reasons needed.

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

bob__71 wrote:
JABBER wrote:plugger was graet in the past era i think he would struggle against the flood or zones. also if he touched anyone today he would get longer suspentions.
Plugger was the first player who had to play against the zone/flood. He did alright then.
He would also benefit from the hands in the back an chopping the arms rules in place now. There is not a full back around today with the game to go with a full forward of Plugger's ability.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

It's a no-brainer...Plugger

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

lockett, without a doubt.

it would put an end to chipalotto once and for all as you'd have rocks in your head not to get it down there quickly to the big beast.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

Life Long Saint wrote:
bob__71 wrote:
He would also benefit from the hands in the back an chopping the arms rules in place now. There is not a full back around today with the game to go with a full forward of Plugger's ability.
Or any fullback in any era given today's rules.

JABBER
Club Player

which past player would you choose

Who is better in todays football
1. the greatest full forward of all time
2. a tripple brownlow medal winner who many people rate the greatest player of all time

trevor barker
spert
Saintsational Legend

Lockett was great to watch, but as said elswhere, we had no flag to show for all his efforts -I would prefer a great team rather than great individuals. Baldock was our greatest IMHO and would have got us over the line in 2004 when we need a half forward line in the prelim.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote:Lockett was great to watch, but as said elswhere, we had no flag to show for all his efforts -I would prefer a great team rather than great individuals. Baldock was our greatest IMHO and would have got us over the line in 2004 when we need a half forward line in the prelim.
Just one question. How old are you?

Life Long Saint
Saintsational Legend

Re: which past player would you choose

JABBER wrote:Who is better in todays football
2. a tripple brownlow medal winner who many people rate the greatest player of all time
Interesting question.

Today's game has become harder for midfielders with dedicated taggers with no intention of getting the ball and easier for full forwards with hands in the back and chopping arms rules.

I guess that it comes down to whether we have the depth in the midfield. A good spread of talent in the midfield can overcome one star. But a gun full forward does not come along too often. I'd always take that.

SaintWodonga
Club Player

PLUGGER

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
older saint
SS Life Member

On a different thought process to the question I would say either D Baldock or T Barker on the basis that we lack a goal kicking skilled half forward and also potentially a dashing hard half back flanker type.

iremember66
Club Player

He would also benefit from the hands in the back an chopping the arms rules in place now. There is not a full back around today with the game to go with a full forward of Plugger's ability.[/quote]

Then again Fraser never did - benefit I mean - somehow the umps always seem to think that the bigger forwards are capable of withstanding the chopping of the arms and the hands in the back. (And I notice that the timely shove in the back is back with a vengeance for the NAB - every game I've seen so far there have been blatant shoves - and the umps are allowing it - I've seen some sheepish grins when the perpetrator gets away with it)...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Robert Harvey in his peak, the game is akll about run and who can do that better than the great man... Plugger wouldn't make it in today's football, he would be suspended every two weeks.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

winmar...we cant get enough running players and someone who could do it all would asisst greatly...

we have the tall timber its about breaking the lines and setting up broken play...counter attacks and rebounds

winmar would provide this with gram, goddard, gilbert and fisher all looking to spend time running off the back flank powering forward swiftly

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Re: which past player would you choose

JABBER wrote:Who is better in todays football
Hayden Bunton?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell