SEN Radio most hurtful loss

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

JABBER
Club Player

SEN Radio most hurtful loss

On the morning glory yesterday people were taking about there most hurtful loss.
Apart from the 1997 grand Final i choose the final against Geelong in 1991 If G Ablett didn't take out N burke we would have won the flag that year. We Had great Record against Hawtorn And west Coast that year and plugger was at his best form of his career

trevor barker
rocksolid
Club Player

I agree, still the best game I have ever seen and don't forget G Ablett also took out David Grant.

Bowey Boy
Club Player

Yup

He killed off both our clubs' chances cos then he got rubbed out (2 weeks I think). Geelong of course could not progress without Ablett allowing the Hawks and West Coast to make the GF. I seem to remember venturing out to Waverly and seeing the Saints spank both of the future Grand Finalists towards the end of the 91 season.

The Freo game a couple of weeks out from the finals (whispers in the sky) was very unjust, decided by umpiring as was the final in Sydney in 1998. These both hurt a lot.

"I think, 'You kick a footy mate, you kick a footy. It's not like you've got a cure for cancer. You kick a footy, stop thinking you are so special'." - Samantha Black
JABBER
Club Player

SEN Radio most hurable lost

I Forgot About David Grant it was a fantastic game of football the excitment of playing in the finals for the first time since early 70s to lose after a great game realy hurt me

trevor barker
TriColourDisciple
Club Player

The 2004 prelim loss to Port Adelaide.
From memory, They recieved the 'AAMI advantage' from the umpires which saw them fall over the line to meet Brisbane, who were on the decline, in the GF. Which of course they went on to win.
I really feel we would have won the following week as we were in terrific form.
That was extremely hurtful.
Couldn't watch the GF (for the first time in my life)

Proudly Brainwashed since 1972
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

the loss to the dockers at subi that friday night due to us being the superiod team by miles only to be over-run in the final quarter due to injuries resulting in no bench

a few howlers from the umpies but we wouldnt have been whinging had they happened in the first half when we dominated...wrong timing

port at aami...two bloody evenly matched teams with the power only a few years ahead of us...they were the cliche in their prime team and we came from nowhere...regardless evenly matched

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

TriColourDisciple wrote:The 2004 prelim loss to Port Adelaide.
From memory, They recieved the 'AAMI advantage' from the umpires which saw them fall over the line to meet Brisbane, who were on the decline, in the GF. Which of course they went on to win.
The only AAMI advantage they got is when fools ran out on the ground when G kicked his 100(yes including you Mr Baker).

oh when
Club Player

Yep - I can still see Guerra running into goal - couldn't decide to kick off the ground or pick up the ball - did neither....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

1997 GF
2005 PF

The 2004 PF was dissapointing of course but I really felt proud that night that the guys had given their absolute all

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
HarveysDeciple

saint66au wrote:1997 GF
2005 PF

The 2004 PF was dissapointing of course but I really felt proud that night that the guys had given their absolute all
yep. agreed on the prelim comparison. the 05 loss to the swans was shattering. firmly believe we were the best team in the comp that year.

the 06 final loss to melbourne hurt a bit too.

sainter#4
Club Player

99 loss to the hawks after being 10 goals up and well on our way to playing finals(we were 3rd)...started that dark patch in the early 00's that took us forever to come back from.

04 prelim against power thought we were the better side that night, Guerras miss kick haunts me still

and 05 prelim as others have said thought we were the best side that year :(

henno
Club Player

TriColourDisciple wrote:The 2004 prelim loss to Port Adelaide.
whilst i admit it was a hurtful loss (after being quite far ahead in the 1st qtr thanks to G!), i dont think we wouldve won the granny as we wouldve versed brissy, who pumped us by close to, if not, 100 points in the QF that year.

Solar
Saintsational Legend

the night max cried.... I sat there for 45 minutes after the game in absolute shock.... what did we have to do to win?

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
n1ck
Saintsational Legend

sainter#4 wrote:99 loss to the hawks after being 10 goals up and well on our way to playing finals(we were 3rd)...started that dark patch in the early 00's that took us forever to come back from.

04 prelim against power thought we were the better side that night, Guerras miss kick haunts me still

and 05 prelim as others have said thought we were the best side that year :(
yep, was just thinking that game. that day shattered me.

people forget the week before, we played sydney at waverley and lost after being 6 goals up early too.

was the real start of our downward spiral under tim watson.

form memory goodes kicked 5 or 6.

CaptainRiewoldt
Club Player

97 - Adelaide
2004 - Port
2005 - Sydney
1991 - Geelong - Although enjoyed that game, entertaining!

Its a real shame, to think that realistically that couldve been 4 flags right there!!

duckduckduckgoose
Club Player

Our 2 losses in last years finals gave me a real punch in the guts.

Not that I expected us to win either one, but having it clearly illustrated how far behind the frontruners we are....

I bought a shirt from Target once.
It had a hard tag on it too.

I know how Dal feels.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

nothing really compares or hurts as much as a grand final loss.....they leave feelings similar to those caused by a death of a friend or loved one......mind numbingly painful...... in no particular order the losses in 1965, 1971 and 1997 were my three worst days on earth..... :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
markinUSA
SS Life Member

I've had some worse days in my life... not that I want more... but the pain of 97 doesn't go away.

True, the 91 attacks on Burke and Grant cost us that match. Stewie had a dirty day too. I remember seeing Plugger afterwards, as they were walking into the rooms... he put an arm around Stewie, didn't say anything... but it was a true sign of mateship, and camraderie in defeat. We all win together, we all lose together.

"Don't give up, never give up" - Robert Harvey.
mbogo
SS Hall of Fame

Funny that no one mentioned the semi V Footscray in 92 - we were virtual flag faves after doing a great job on Collingwood the week before in QF .

Young Grant did over our D Grant ... kicked a few in the last to snatch it I think - season lost.
Noone picked them either.

This is a team game and there is no room for individuals who think they are above walking through the fire.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

mbogo wrote:Funny that no one mentioned the semi V Footscray in 92 - we were virtual flag faves after doing a great job on Collingwood the week before in QF .

Young Grant did over our D Grant ... kicked a few in the last to snatch it I think - season lost.
Noone picked them either.
ah i remember that match as a youngen...

it didnt make sense to a 6 year old that we looked so good throughout the season and didnt win the thing

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
ace
Saintsational Legend

Gary Ablett (senior) took out both Nathan Burke and David Grant.
People from Geelong are a bit backward. They spell back to front.
Gary Ablett (senior) was no G-O-D he was a D-O-G.

My apologies to all nice dogs.
Ablett senior's breed must have been a despicable american pit bull terrier.

Danny Frawley followed Ablett senior all over the ground and kept him on a leash but failed to muzzle him.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
JABBER
Club Player

SEN Radio most hurtable lost

We were underdogs in 1992 by memory against bulldogs I think we finished six in the home and away west Coast was clearly the best team that year but all finals hurt I remember plugger taking a screamer that day in the goal square that caused an earthquake i also should mention
losing to collingwood always hurts

trevor barker
spert
Saintsational Legend

91 Geelong..I think we suffered from a lack of enforcers..rolled over in the end once a couple of players got whacked.

97 GF was a bad one.. no Vidovic and Everitt cost us dearly as we wern't strong enough as result.

2004 really irks me..a chance to play in GF and a few players didn't run that little bit harder to make it happen.

2005 Swans final - a powder-puff final quarter from our midfield gave it to Sydney.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Cried as a 14 year old in 71...had that game on toast at 21 points up at 3 quarter time before Keddie cut loose with four goals in the last quarter :x

97...As big a favourite as everyone had us I was very uncomfortable with the fact that no-one was giving Adelaide a chance which took the pressure of them completely.

Definitely had our chances then Jarman did a Keddie 26 years on...

Will never forget the burning in the guts as the camry crows song rang out :x

Remember feeling absolutely gutted for weeks.

2005 prelim against port which I still believe we would have won without the ground invasion during our great runon at the start of the 1 st quarter...Port regrouped after the enforced time out and got back into the game :evil:

..was summed up by the tragic image of Harves on his knees after the 6 point loss

....symbolic of how every St.Kilda supporter felt at the time. :cry:

2006 against the swans where our lack of preparation and injury through the year bit us bigtime...was even worse when the swans went on to win the flag after Hall was let off for the so called love tap... :evil:

Bitter? Who me??

Ah well will make a flag so much sweeter :twisted:

Before I die ....Please :roll: :cry:
Last edited by saint patrick on Fri 06 Mar 2009 10:32am, edited 3 times in total.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
yipper
SS Life Member

I know we were thumped - but last year's prelim really hurt me because I would not ever again see Rob Harvey play for the Saints!! It was really a shattering moment of reflection after the game.

Both prelims in 05 & 06 were hard - especially the 06 one against the swines. Being there adds to the anguish I s'pose!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.