'The Essence of the Game'

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

'The Essence of the Game'

Funny I haven't seen a thread on this.

If there's one already, I apologise.

The show that was on the other night, that 'behind the scenes' at the footy show on Channel 7.

Quite good actually. And got the blood pumping for the footy.

The only problem was, that my thoughts on the AFL were strengthened 10 fold.

The parts of the show that made the heart beat faster, and the hairs on the neck stand up - were the ones that involved the suburban clubs and people.

The country comp. The local comp. The womens comp. The junior footy.

Brought a tear to the eye. It's the lifeblood of societies. The heartbeat of country towns. The life support of many people.

The key component of the 'snippets' of the local comps that they showed was the rivalry, the passion, the emotion, the tribalry of Aussie Rules footy.

It really highlighted what has happened to the footy today.

These facets of the game, have been pillaged from the big stage. The AFL has consciously removed these key elements of the game from the sport that they are custodians of.

And don't pretend they aren't key components of the game - because they are. They are 'the' components of the game.

Footy hasn't survived as our National sport because it's pretty. It's because of the components that oddly the AFL decided to showcase to the public in this TV show.

What they showcased was quite simply the tragedy that has happened in sporting terms of course, to our National Sport.

A passionless, emotionless money grabbing business.

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

i thought it was amazing and its worth finding out how to watch it if you missed it.
It had some good footage of Xavier College on there! :D

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
PJ
SS Life Member

Funny I haven't seen a thread on this.

If there's one already, I apologise.

The show that was on the other night, that 'behind the scenes' at the footy show on Channel 7.

Quite good actually. And got the blood pumping for the footy.

The only problem was, that my thoughts on the AFL were strengthened 10 fold.

The parts of the show that made the heart beat faster, and the hairs on the neck stand up - were the ones that involved the suburban clubs and people.

The country comp. The local comp. The womens comp. The junior footy.

Brought a tear to the eye. It's the lifeblood of societies. The heartbeat of country towns. The life support of many people.

The key component of the 'snippets' of the local comps that they showed was the rivalry, the passion, the emotion, the tribalry of Aussie Rules footy.

It really highlighted what has happened to the footy today.

These facets of the game, have been pillaged from the big stage. The AFL has consciously removed these key elements of the game from the sport that they are custodians of.

And don't pretend they aren't key components of the game - because they are. They are 'the' components of the game.

Footy hasn't survived as our National sport because it's pretty. It's because of the components that oddly the AFL decided to showcase to the public in this TV show.

What they showcased was quite simply the tragedy that has happened in sporting terms of course, to our National Sport.

A passionless, emotionless money grabbing business.
IYO & you have the right to express it but please refrain from taking the moral high ground - there are others who disagree and feel just as passionate as you about the game. What makes it a great game is in the eye of the beholder, it's as individual as you and I.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Thread locked - nothing to see here.

BTW - The Essence of Hawthorn wasnt a bad show....

“Yeah….nah””
Richter
SS Life Member

Change the record....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
yipper
SS Life Member

Funny, I thought the way Jonathon Brown, David Parkin and Luke Ball spoke was what the essence of the game was all about. It's still footy. They all love it, I still love it. RF doesn't - so what?..... yawn...

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
markp
Saintsational Legend

:|

BAM! (shhhh)
SS Hall of Fame

Footy and the AFL (in spite of the branding) are not necessarily the same thing. You can love the former without loving the latter.

Over in the US, when Baseball came back from their players strike, a lot of people had been turned off "America's favorite past time" for the level of greed displayed. Then the McGuire-Sosa home run derby captivated the nation, and the sport resumed it's incredible market position... however as the players clearly got bigger and suspicions mounted of 'roids, many traditional fans were turned off the "slugger" baseball that emerged. Now the wind has shifted again - and while some old fans are reverting as the pitcher's battles return, equally it will turn off some of the fans of the hitters game. Ty Cobb once said Babe Ruth was the worst thing ever to happen to baseball - both are in the hall of fame as dominant players of their respective generations.

For footy fans, it's best to seperate that affection for the game from the pros. The pro's are the best of the best, and as such will always generate a level of interest and money out of kilter with the grass roots tribalism of ANY local club. I know of no sport where the transition to the pro's has been made without losing that connection... a lot of the most tribal fan groups tend to be run by the fans of a team rather than the club that puts that team together... and if you think about it, that's always been the way: was the Animal Enclosure the work of the president and coach of the day, or those who made it up?

For the game, I'm put in mind of a line which I can't remember who to attribute to (I think it's Chomsky, but I haven't read him in years, so I'm not sure). If your society is too constrained, don't worry, your granchildren will be liberals. If your society is too liberal, don't worry, your grandchildren will be puritans. Basically what it's getting at is that things tend to turn based on evolving values of the moment, but it ends up being a cycle.

So if you're after tribalism, join your local club. If your turned off by the AFL, don't worry, it will come back to you at some stage - just as it's been sanitised to please the mothers and keep the kids involved and family's coming along, a new priority will create a ten year trend and we'll be left with a changed AFL.

And for the love of god, if you see Rodgerfox at the footy, buy him a beer or 12 :)

"Everything comes to he who hustles while he waits"
- Henry Ford