a question about friday night - match threads

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

a question about friday night - match threads

hi guys,

probably a bit of a silly question this but since the game is on delay will we possibly run 2 match threads? one for those watching it live (either interstate or following on the radio, and one which is in sync with channel 7's pathetic delayed coverage?

i for 1 like to follow the games i cannot get to on the forum, but i don't want the live scores posted if i am watching it delayed.

i recall s*** hitting the fan when saintbrat posted live scores last year.

Robert Harvey- Simply the best
degruch
Saintsational Legend

Re: a question about friday night - match threads

fonz_#15 wrote:hi guys,

probably a bit of a silly question this but since the game is on delay will we possibly run 2 match threads? one for those watching it live (either interstate or following on the radio, and one which is in sync with channel 7's pathetic delayed coverage?

i for 1 like to follow the games i cannot get to on the forum, but i don't want the live scores posted if i am watching it delayed.

i recall s*** hitting the fan when saintbrat posted live scores last year.
SA TV broadcast will be slightly delayed too...so you could end up with 3 match reviews!

My partner came home one and told me the result of the 2004 Prelim from AAMI Stadium, 5 minutes before it was due to be broadcast on TV...there was some swearing after that.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

ill be there....and the laptop will 'just' be out of my reach.
peeps usually put "live scores" in the title so those that are watching delayed dont accidently click on it and find out the score.
best bet...
stay offline until the games over...then trawl thou 10 threads on why we are crap regardless of the result

robbie muir
Club Player

If i ain't mistaken the game is at 8.10pm Adelaide time, which means it will be live into Melbourne at 8.40pm

lovedal26
Club Player

as i said in the other thread:

it says on the footy fixure that it is a 8:10 start in adelaide
and its on channel 7 at 8:30 in melbourne
so doesnt that mean its live because we are half and hour in front of adelaide? : :?

nick dal santo #26
GrumpyOne

There were strange goings-on with the Telstra results service during the match. They are supposed to SMS me the scores directly after the end of each quarter. The 1st and 3rd quarter scores were live, but the half-time and full-time scores were delayed to match telecast times.

Very strange. :shock:

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

lovedal26 wrote:as i said in the other thread:

so doesnt that mean its live because we are half and hour in front of adelaide? : :?
it may but i am sure i have heard people on here saying the match has been delayed by half an hour,. if i am wrong please delete mods.

sainters man
Club Player

lovedal26 wrote:as i said in the other thread:

Yeah your right! it will be live cause we are infront of adelaide by half hour

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

The AFL website has the game at 7.40 Adelaide time?

7.40pm + 30 minutes = 8.10pm start in Melbourne

So it will be half an hour delayed as the website suggests.
Last edited by Moorabbin Saints on Mon 30 Mar 2009 6:28pm, edited 1 time in total.

fonz_#15
SS Life Member

Moorabbin Saints wrote:The AFL website has the game at 7.40 Adelaide time?

7.40pm + 30 minutes = 8.10pm

So it will be half an hour delayed as the website suggests.
so i wasn't imagining it..

lovedal26
Club Player

i dont understand why it isnt shown live on tv in melb.
its an interstate game

nick dal santo #26
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I tried it here once, it didn't work out too well. People don't like to visit here anyway on delayed games because even other threads may spoil the result, or injuries.

milney044
Club Player

i was originally going to say maybe due to daylight savings- when does that start? And i'll be in Adelaide Friday night so no chance of anyone spoling the score for me :P

Destiny. It's in our hands.

Harder. Better. Faster. Stronger.
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I'm NOT patient enough to wait for the telecast. I will be flicking between radio, internet & tv but won't post scores. I remember how much saintbrat copped !!

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I'm NOT patient enough to wait for the telecast. I will be flicking between radio, internet & tv but won't post scores. I remember how much saintbrat copped !!
I am going to the game but as it is in Adelaide I still think it will be half an hour behind.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
Eastern wrote:I'm NOT patient enough to wait for the telecast. I will be flicking between radio, internet & tv but won't post scores. I remember how much saintbrat copped !!
I am going to the game but as it is in Adelaide I still think it will be half an hour behind.
The game = 1/2 hour behind

The town = :?: :?: behind

!!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Is Adelaide really only 1/2 hour behind?

Seriously though, Interstate games use to always been shown live into Melbourne and can't understand 7's logic as a live football game will rate a hell of a lot better thatn Better Homes & Gardens.

I know in the US if any of the city's sports team are playing out of state, the local broadcaster would not dare not to beam the game live into the city.

One of my friends, me and him have been going to the footy regularly since 1970 (yes I'm old) goes to San Diego every year to visit his in laws and is a big baseball fan.

For him he is in Baseball Heaven because the games start at 9.00am (12 noon east coast) and games will be on all day to midnight.

Is the Social Club going to have it live?

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

3rd generation saint wrote:Is Adelaide really only 1/2 hour behind?

Seriously though, Interstate games use to always been shown live into Melbourne and can't understand 7's logic as a live football game will rate a hell of a lot better thatn Better Homes & Gardens.

I know in the US if any of the city's sports team are playing out of state, the local broadcaster would not dare not to beam the game live into the city.

One of my friends, me and him have been going to the footy regularly since 1970 (yes I'm old) goes to San Diego every year to visit his in laws and is a big baseball fan.

For him he is in Baseball Heaven because the games start at 9.00am (12 noon east coast) and games will be on all day to midnight.

The reason is pretty simple. Better homes rates very well and by having the game later they get good ratings for an extra half hour when normally they would get poor ratings.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

and ...............

Ratings = $$$$$$$$$$ for the networks. That in turn raises the value of the broadcast rights. Some of that broadcast $$$$$ makes its way to our club.

We might be pyssed about it but the club gains !!

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

AFL.com.au fixture has game start at 7.40 pm
saints.com.au has game start at 7.40 pm

tv guides have telecast starting at 8.30 pm

game start + 30 min is 8.10 victorian time for game start ( RADIO start )

so telecast is still atleast 30 min delay as they do prematch etc.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
saint66au
Saintsational Legend

In a word...no

Why would they make an exemption for one Social Club, with the accompanying logistical issues of getting live pictures to Moorabbin, when NO-ONE else in Victoria can see it live?

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
Eastern
Saintsational Legend

Where's Roger the satelite beam thief when you need him? !!

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:

The reason is pretty simple. Better homes rates very well and by having the game later they get good ratings for an extra half hour when normally they would get poor ratings.
That is correct.

And the other BIGGER reason is that the AFL are too soft, and don't care enough to stipulate interstate games involving Melbourne based teams MUST be shown live into Melbourne.

We will get shafted in this game and three weeks later vs Port, also on a Friday night.

Not to mention the game vs the Hawks in Tassie on Channel 10 on a Saturday - I bet that will be delayed also.

The media can't give a stuff about it, unless it's a "glamour" "blockbuster" type game - ie. Cousins vs Judd, or perhaps if it was a 300th game, or Saints on a 10 game winning streak etc etc.

But the two faced hyprocrits are totally blind to Saints vs the Crows this Friday, as it's a bit of a "nothing" match as far they are concerned, so doesn't warrant much concern re the non-live issue.

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

did you work out what was happening?

scores or no scores?

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

The ridiculous thing about Friday night games is my brother may see it live on Foxtel through the pay per view channel, which shows AFL games live into Sydney etc if 7 or 10 don't show it live.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.