Free kick count - 30 -11

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Solar
Saintsational Legend

couple of tips for crows supporters

If a player kicks the ball out on the full without anyone touching it, it's a free kick.

If a player falls to ground, pulls the football to themselves and refuses to eve pretend to punch it out they will get pinged.

You can't hold onto a forward and expect not to give away a free.

fending off with your elbow into a players head is just ask for trouble, ever heard of their chest?

The crows still got a few goals from nonsense free kicks.

Disapointing about the amount of 50's given away by us

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
goodie
Club Player

I thought it was a very good umpiring effort. Quite a few times an Adelaide player would dive on the ball and would be pinged, our guys only did it once or twice. We got some softies of course, but so did they.

What does even it out a little was the 50 metre penalty count, 4-1 in Adelaide's favour. Two of theirs were soft as, two were clearly there. Ours was ridiculously present.

The thing is a lot of people expect the free kick count to be even/close, and that's just rubbish. Each free kick should be paid on the merits, and it pisses me off to see umpires giving away soft frees at the end of a game to try to even it out.

Did anyone see the feral screaming at the umpires coming off the ground at the end? Look liked trying to jump the fence but for the security guard

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

The thing is a lot of people expect the free kick count to be even/close, and that's just rubbish. Each free kick should be paid on the merits, and it pisses me off to see umpires giving away soft frees at the end of a game to try to even it out.
Will lock that one away just in case the count is 30-11 against us next weekend ;-) 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

The Saints got a couple of charity frees but I thought the Crows were shockers... the numbers of times I saw a Crow run through their mark - especially after McQualter had 50 paid against him for failing to be able to pull up in time. And (I can't remember who) getting 50 for going for a Crow who had started to play on.

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

The free kick count was no fluke. We were harder at it than they were, we tackled harder than they did, we pressure their ball carriers more. When you do these things you will get the free kicks.
I thought it was our best tackling display since the first half of 2004 and we all know how we went then.

Furphy
Club Player

That 50 metre penalty followed by the mystery free kick that resulted in a goal that brought the crows back into the game early in the 3rd qtr negated all the frees we got!

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

Obviosly the umpires screwed up again, it was Collingwood who abused them last week after the game, not Adelaide, but they took out their revenge on Adelaide.

Gee wouldn't it be great if Melbourne beat Collingwood today!!!

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
goodie
Club Player

saint66au wrote:
Will lock that one away just in case the count is 30-11 against us next weekend ;-) 8-)
Don't like the odds of that with our gameplan, but it could happen.

As long as the umpiring's consistent, I'll accept it. I'll find something else to go berserk about

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

wasn't there an interstate game last year or the year before where we had a similar free kick count against us??? can anyone remember?

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

dont forget to SUBTRACT ONE GOAL from adelaide for the worst hands in the back decision I have EVER seen. Cant remember who it was against.

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

zac dawson - and was preceded by a woeful 50 against blake.
More importantly - with the rule against rushing behinds - teams that can apply real tackling pressure in their forward 50 are going to win more games.

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
matrix
Saintsational Legend

im gonna watch the replay again and record every free kick......to see if it was there or a bad call.
<<be back later 8-)

SaintDebi
Club Player

Maybe the umps have finally forgiven us for "sirengate" and "whispers in the sky" :wink:

Leo.J
SS Life Member

I thought they missed a few too.

If they are there PAY THEM.

Whinging about the free kick kick count is moronic. Its like complaining about not batting as long as another side in a test match despite being bowled out.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

first qtr...

#1.Saints...high tackle on baker. Crows player fending off with an elbow/forearm to the throat in bakers tackle.
free was there.

#2.Saints...thompson dives on the ball in the centre square and two saints players jump on top. Ump calls he dived on the ball, holding the footy.
free was there.

#3.Saints...Roo being held after grams kick into the 50 after free #2. Bock scragging him and doing little grabs restricting him.
Bock questions the call, with the ump replying "just to let ya know, for the rest of the game, the whole way up youre holding him, arms around the waist is considered a hold"
free was there..bit touch and go but i spose was tech there.
(buckley calls it a good explanation and a fair decision)

high tackle on Ball missed just outside our defensive side of the centre...Edwards snaps a point as a result.

#4.Saints...Schneider gets a free on the wing
Ump calls it "marking interference"
free was there.

#5.Crows...Mini gives away a 50. Stiffy Johncock marks two meters in from his defensive goal line, and runs back ready to take the kick with mini running up to the mark at the goal line.
Ump blows straight away and says "you knew where the mark was, you ran over it, two meters straight over it".
kinda odd seeing its done nearly 90% of the time and the ump just calls u back (?)
free was tech there.

#6.Saints...Roo gets a free on wing for bock holding.
ump says "ive told you once, arms around the waist is a hold"
free was there...bocks arms WERE around roos waist.

#7.Saints...Holding the ball called on edwards.
ump says "you gotta do something mate, you just cant hold it to your belly like that".
second replay shows edwards trying to get a hand ball after being wrapped up.
i myself thought he was tackled after not even a full step with the footy (so had no prior opp) but he did seem to just curl up with it.
shouldve been a ball up in my eyes.
free? 50/50 really

high fend off by crows player with a forearm on milne to fend off and spin out of a tackle attempt missed.
should have been called high.

#8.Crows...Johncock gets a free for a "high tackle as he kicked". Milne the culprit.
free deff there.

#9.Saints...tricky one, i missed it at the ground and it wasnt shown on tv
"free kick to saint kilda, got him on a headlock and threw him to the ground. down field"... is the umps call.
buyckley says "that happened all the way back at the crows centre half forward area"...play was currently down our forward 50 wing.
free? well from the 'sound of it' it has to be a high tackle then. (?)

#10.Crows...Ottens gets a 50 after marking on the goal line and schneider comes in and grabs him to hold him up.
"50, not in the marking contest, you claimed the player, 50 meters everyday of the week" says umpy.
free was there.

#11.Saints..holding the ball called on Ottens. joey wraps him nicely after backing him into a corner, he tries to fend him off to no avail.
free there.

high tackle on Petrenko missed (according to crows fans), but he ducked his head when seeing the tackle coming.
play on (theres a diff between ducking ya head and head over the ball)

#12.Saints...another tricky one. Leigh Mathews saw it and says it was the new rule "impeding opp in next stage of play"
from what i can see it went to Jones, got a handball out and was tackled by edwards.
ump says "50..late sling down"
tech there..but a bit stiff.

dangerfield clearly throws the ball out in a tackle..."play on got a handball"

#13.Saints...baker gets one high in a marking contest, opp went to punch ball and arm came over shoulder hitting him lightly in the side of the head. "arm over the shoulder" calls umpy
free there.

Ray pulls ball back in, in a pack on the ground...crowd boos going nuts yet dangerfeild is the last one to get up and has the footy.
ball up.

stats:
kozi 2
king and roo 1
joey 11 touches
dal and chips 9 each

second qtr...

#14.Crows...Blake comes in and wraps up thompson when he wasnt in the contest....50 meters.
free there.

#15.Crows...Hands in the back on dawson...he gives tippet the slightest of nudges with his left arm as tippet jumps.
commentators and even the CROWD groans when the replay is shown.
tech the free was there.

#16.Saints....holding the ball on douglas...he collects ball by diving on it and is swamped by saints players...cant make an attempt even if he wanted to. replay shows good second angle.
free there.

roo gets hands in the back by bock thats twice as bad as dawson incident (#15)....mark to bock payed.
commentators say it was exactly the same incident.

ump calls mark or free kick either way on high spoil attempt by roo in one on one marking contest.
not sure witch was payed.
crowd boos at blake spoiling in a one on one contest, he got the ball but kinda came front on...play on called...footy ends up in our 50 to roo, kicks a point.

kozi blatently being held in the square in a standing contest.
nothing called.

#17.Crows...fisher holding Henschel..grabs high slightly once and then whacks the ball away. bit ticky touch.
free tech there.

#18.Saints...blake gets in the back....should have really been in the back or holding on dawson on edwards. crows player did come across blake as he was on the floor reaching for the footy and seemed to get him over the shoulders but was trying to grab the footy...i thought it was a bad call.
free to crows or play on/ball up

#19.Saints...Hayes hit late in marking contest. free there every day.no eyes for the footy by crows player.
crowd boos.
free there

#20.Saints....Gwilt tackled "hasnt got the ball" says ump
as soon as he went to grab the footy he was grabbed. so he didnt drop it.
tech there

tackle count comes up
saints 31
crows 14
(score is saints 36 crows 33)

should have been free to crows on there forward wing.
gwilt hits arms of crows player in cross motion.
ball goes out of bounds
crowd says nothing :?:

#21.Saints...Gwilt "taken high"...he dives after the ball with a rows player diving over his head.
free there

#22.Crows...Gwilt caught holding the ball...had about one second to try and get rid of it....made an attempt.
bit stiff.
there i spose

dangerfeild being held by dawson as the ball comes into the crows forward 50. (had his left arm around him. ump on that side of the play calls nothing)
should of really been a free..not blatant, but to keep up with the standard of calls so far it should have been payed.

#23.Saints...Hayes kicked smothered and then jump on by petrenko, hayes wraps him up...no attempt, went to ground to collect the footy.
free tech there. but he didnt really have too much prior opp.

crowd goes nuts as gwilt seems to throw the ball out after being tackled, looks like it comes out after hitting the deck, then dal 'seems' to grab edwards as the are both running to the boundary line and the ball goes out...ump says edwards flung his arms back and up playing for it and dal only hit his arms
crowd boos like F***.

#24.Saints...holding the ball called as kozi tackles crows player "holding the ball, took him on" calls the ump. he did try to dodge kozi.
crows player slow to get up.
free there

#25.Crows...trip called on milne, seemed accidental. ump and players had no probs.

half time

matrix
Saintsational Legend

score:
saints 43
crows 33

kozi 2 goals

joey 18 touches
dal 16
chips 15

(hows bakers little tricks with the water bottle in the half time special)
third qtr

...out on the full...ball bounces up off dals boot and goes over the line.
called a free kick, so am presuming the kick out on the full by us early on in the game was another free to adelaide???
Chips then kicks out on the full...another free kick to adelaide.
is that 3 'free-kicks' ?

#26.Saints...hands in the back by ottens on geary.
pushes him on the back and then the side and takes the mark
free was tech there...but touchy.

free kick count comes up
saints 18
crows 6
(not sure whether the post tallies)

#27.Saints...Dal bends down to pick the footy up and gets one over the shoulder.. called "over the shoulder, saint kilda" by ump
he did seem to duck a little bit too as he saw the player coming while picking up the footy.
maybe play on but tech there

#28.Saints....gards get frr kick for being hit while a pack is on the ground and the ump has blown for a ball up
"free kick to saint kilda, unnecessary"
"he punched me in the face" Image crows player
"unnecessary..you cant make contact with him, give him the ball"
gards tries to get the ball...crows player doesnt give it up
"50" says ump
joey gets in his ear
<<has no doubt that gards prob gave him a little one 8-)

johncock blatently has an arm around milne as they are both running for the ball

#29.Crows..joey gets done for dropping the ball after the above incident
it looked like goodwin was the one to knock the ball from him as he took him on, the ump blew the whistle, and johncock then hand balled back to goodwin to take the free, joey had gotten up and ran straight at goodwin, obviously thinking it was johncock who had got the free and he had played on
50 given for running over the mark then in the above incident.

i originally thought this was 2 frees.
one for dropping the cherry
ones for the 50
but Committi says that that was adeladies 7th free kick (so it must count as one)

#30.Crows.....douglas gets a free for hands in the back by gilbert
free there

handball count is said
half time was
adelaide 130
saints 83

now (14 left in third)
adelaide 159
saints 97
so 29 to 14 since half time going in favour of adelaide going with the breeze.

out on the full by gilbert to blake
free to adelaide

(7 crows players have had MORE than 10 handballs while only ONE crows player has had more than 10 kicks)

bj seems to give gram a little spray for the turn over kick to edwards in the crows forward 50 who then squares it up to walker who goals.

#31.Saints...holding the footy, bit stiff and bj seemed to sling thompson out of the contest after blake had already been all over his opponent.
if anything shouldve been free to crows
bad call, the ball seemed to fall into douglas' arms and he was pinned.

#32.Saints...roo gets two hands in the back from bock from the next kick down the ground from free #31....ball lands in lennys hands and the ump immediately calls play on (??)
free was there to roo, bock shoved him forward with two hands.

vince taken high over the shoulder when trying to break thru a tackle.
called play on

#33.Saints...another down the ground..in the back to Kingy, "after the disposal" says the umpy

free kick count is said to be 22 to 8 in favor or us ( so therefore the out on the fulls dont count as 'free kicks' according to the tally then (?) )

out on the full by mckay from the crows

#34.Crows...edwards being held in a contest, called play on advantage
free there.

#35.Saints...mcleod gets pinned for holding the ball, put his head down when on his knees and waited for the impact.
ump says he had plenty of time. mcleod doesnt say a word in protest.
free there

score is now only 7 points diff
5 mins left in third.

roos arm held by bock when trying to lead for the footy...
nothing said

turn over by a bj poor kick across ground under pressure, riley seemed to be impeded by gilbert when chasing the ball, ball ends up with walker who hits the post when he should have handballed to porps
ump prob called nothing because the ball spilled to walker, but didnt say 'play on'....so maybe missed the hold by giilbs

tackles
saints 57
crows 35
3 mins to go in the third

siren sounds
saints 67
crows 62

dal 26
chips 22
joey 21

bock and edwards both 21 and thompson 20 for crows

desertsaint
Saintsational Legend

wow
good job matrix - but has plugger66 endorsed it? :D

"The starting point of all achievement is desire. "
borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My poor little grandson was at the match dressed in his saints stuff. I hope he survived the night.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

crows coach doesn't believe free cost them the game..........and he is right....

"Craig: Saints taught us a lot
04/04/2009 12:04 PM
Marcus Wilson
Sportal

* Neil Craig: St Kilda's pressure was too good

Adelaide coach Neil Craig has praised St Kilda for its finals-type pressure and believes his younger players will benefit from going head-to-head with the mature outfit so early in the season.

The Saints smashed the Crows in contested ball, particularly in the first half, and ensured Craig's normally assured charges had an unhealthy reliance on handballing and were indirect coming out of defence.

Craig said the visitors' sustained pressure played a big part in their 32-point victory over Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Friday night.

"The thing that won the game for them was their unbelievable pressure on the ball carrier ... all over the ground for a long period of the game," he said.

"In that area and defensively, that's as good as I've seen for a long period of time, so it explains a fair bit of last week what they did to Sydney."

"It's not an excuse for us but it's a reality that they were fantastic in that area tonight and it just exposes us and our playing group to a level which sits out there at the moment and we need to try and achieve it and get up to that level in that area of the game."

"It got out of control for long periods of time but having said that I thought we hung in there really well for three quarters."

While disappointed his team couldn't match the Saints for the entire match, Craig said the pressure-cooker game was a 'great experience' for his developing team.

"To be exposed to that in Round 2 of an AFL season shows us some of the areas of our game that broke down. I'm telling you now that you often don't see that level until finals, we've seen it in Round 2," he said.

After the game, talkback radio stations were running hot with irate Crows supporters complaining about the 30-11 free-kick count against their team.

Craig said the umpiring had nothing to do with the final result.

"If you're first in for it, you get the free kick," he said.

"Let's just worry about some things we need to do better as a club, (it's) very easy for us to go down a track of commenting about umpires and looking for reasons rather than what we need to do better."

"We had a pretty good ride last week. Did it beat us? Did the free kick count beat us? No, so let's get on with it."

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
matrix
Saintsational Legend

fourth qtr

#36.Saints..gards gets the front of his jumper held in the ruck contest.
free was there (it was right in front of the ump backing away, of course he is gonna pay it, s.t.f.u with the booing)

geary seems to go early over ottens with a frearm in the back to get a leap and a punch in.
nuthing called
couldve been payed though

18 mins left and still only (now after balls miss) 7 points up

#37.Crows...dawson gets caught by tippet in the goal square holding the ball
free there
goals
16:47 to go and theres a point the diff (saints up)
(10:8 to 10:9)

hayes seems to have riley in an over the shoulder headlock but also has his hands on the footy....ball up
gram hits the post, now 2 points 16:05 left to go

schneider snaps and goals
15:34 left
(crows are still on 68 points and only finish on 69, so for the last 15 mins we keep them to one point and end up kicking ANOTHER 25 points.)

#38.Saints...marjic (spelling) gets caught for just dropping the ball in between his legs while on his knees "you just let it go" says the umpy

kozi contested mark against rutten from roos kick inside the 50
goals
82 to 68 .....13:36 left (with the saints on 69 tackles)

#38.Saints...bj gets a free for being held when chasing after the footy while bent down...."youve got a hold on him" says the ump
looks to be the arms around the waist thing again...so,
free tech there

#39.Crows...walker gets held (ump gives holding guernsey signal)

marjic was being held in the goal square by fisher around the shoulder
shoudve really gotten a free
rushed behind
crows last score
10:15 left to go
roo takes one hander and kicks a point

#40.Saints...chips catches walker holding the footy
free there

#41.Saints...luke ball gets a high fend off from vince after wrapping him in a tackle
leigh mathews says the free kick count is 28 to 11 our way.
kozi kicks his fourth 89 to 69...5:24 left on the clock
(fans started to leave at the ground...)
geary being held around the waist trying to reach for a forward high mark
called play on

#41.Saints....dal gets given a 50 when he took a mark and was tackled afterwards...the ball travelled about 12 meters
shouldve been play on, and then ball up...ump says he clearly blew whistle for mark and tackle was after, 50 given.
doesnt really matter as theres is 4:18 on the clock and crows are down by 20.
roo kicks the running crumbing goal
26 points up...95 to 69.....2:48 left

$42.Saints..."got him high downfield" says the umpy, zac had the footy so took the kick...didnt see who the high was on

#42.Saints...bj gets his jumper hled while stretching for a mark after a kingy bomb into the 50
replay shows he had his guernsey even before the contest.
bj does the X to his bro (i guess)
101 to 69 .....52 secs left
kozi holds ruttens arm as the ball goes over the boundary line
couldve been payed but was called a throw in

siren sounds. 8-)
10.9:69
15.11:101
crowd boos.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

what got me was how the commentary team swung against us...
quite a few snide little comments about the free kick count, replays of a correct umpiring decision brought no apologies from them either, maybe they wanted to get out of the ground alive too.

Seeya
saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

wow matrix how did you manage that concentration after your night on the town

without looking at your detail
tippett 3 free's in front of goal
3 goals

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
matrix
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:wow matrix how did you manage that concentration after your night on the town

without looking at your detail
tippett 3 free's in front of goal
3 goals
lol i drove drunk guys home from the game..
no night on the town here
just wanted to get home and watch the replay

saintbrat
Saintsational Legend

I heard former umpire Derek Humphrey -Smith on radio last night say that after he watched and critiqued the game the count could ahve been even more lopsided in the saints favour

whilst Jim Main has disparaging remarks about the saints players- let alone the umpires.

http://insidefootballonline.com/main.html
I also could refer to the free kicks paid to St Kilda’s untouchable — we all know his identity — and we also know by now that you cannot breathe on him without getting pinged.

StReNgTh ThRoUgH LoYaLtY
Rejoicing in hope, patient in tribulation, continuing steadfastly..!!
MEMBERSHIP 2014 31,134 Membership 2015 32,746 MEMBERSHIP 2016 - 38,101
MEMBERSHIP 2017 42,095 , Membership 2018 46,998
MEMBERSHIP 2019 43,106 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php? ... 9#p1816890
MEMBERSHIP 2020 48,588 http://saintsational.net/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=100107
Mr X from the West
Club Player

saintbrat wrote:I heard former umpire Derek Humphrey -Smith on radio last night say that after he watched and critiqued the game the count could ahve been even more lopsided in the saints favour

whilst Jim Main has disparaging remarks about the saints players- let alone the umpires.

http://insidefootballonline.com/main.html
I also could refer to the free kicks paid to St Kilda’s untouchable — we all know his identity — and we also know by now that you cannot breathe on him without getting pinged.
You would think by now that opposition players would have learnt not to put their arms around Reiwoldt or any other forward player, whether or not that is classified as a "hold". Just don't do it - simple!

"Blow out the candle I will burn again tomorrow"