Gardiner could be in a bit of trouble...

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Gardiner could be in a bit of trouble...

for that hit on Maric while he was on the ground. It was the incident which resulted in a 50 and a goal to Gardiner after Maric retaliated.

Just watching a replay now and it doesn't look good.

edit: actually, after a second look, Gardiner possibly attempts to just punch the ball. May have made contact with Maric's head, but it's hard to tell.

What we do know is that Gardiner comes in extremely late to do whatever it is he did.
Last edited by Beej on Sat 04 Apr 2009 10:40am, edited 1 time in total.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

His saving grace is that you can see the ball in Maric's hands, and Gardiners small impact thrust was clearly aimed for the ball and grazed Maric's face.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Yep, just edited my post.

claystreet
Club Player

I thought that he might go when last night they showed the play close up, appears by that vision Gardy went in with a fist to the head :twisted:

remboy
SS Hall of Fame

3rd generation saint wrote:His saving grace is that you can see the ball in Maric's hands, and Gardiners small impact thrust was clearly aimed for the ball and grazed Maric's face.
That was my immediate impression as well. He was going pretty hard at the ball. Depends on whether the MRP thinks that constitutes being reckless or negigent.

Richter
SS Life Member

I didn't see last week's game, so I was thoroughly rapt with Gardiner's game last night. The dominant ruckman on the ground for mine. The number of times he gave our mids, Dal in particular, first opportunity...... also followed it up with some decent play around the ground......... reminded why he was a number 1 pick..... very exciting....

Hird... The unflushable one is now... just a turd...
Kate
Club Player

Clearly a punch at the ball. Couldn't tell if Maric was contacted or not. The only suggestion that Maric might have been hit was his own whine about it. Someone should tell the kid that this is a man's game.

Gards would be unlucky to go, given that that kind of incidental contact occurs all the time and rarly gets pinged.

saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Very mimimal contact ,more of a grazing action and the ball in the area.Maric was just taking out some general frustration and trying to find an excuse for it.Will be looked at but won't go any further.

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

It was what he was doing with his fingers that concerned me, but on slomo, it looks like he was trying to wrench the ball from the grasp, and not the eyes from the face, of his opponent. No case to answer, but he's a Saints player - so who knows? (Although it is in the past, and I should move on, I still cannot believe the penalty to Steven Baker last year. Normally, I'm a hanging judge re reportable matters, but that was bizarre in all senses of the word. He was rubbed out for so long because of 'perceived', not reportable, indisgressions during his career as a tagger and not because of that incident.)

JABBER
Club Player

gardiner could be a little bit of trouble

Accident high contact to head no injury to Maric not enough point for (sus.)

trevor barker
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

first reply it looked bad as if mg had actually punched and connected however looking back a few times over it seemed like he barely connected if at all

however seeing how a few of the cats and hawks somehow got off last week (i think they shouldnt have had a case to answer but rules and rules) who knows...

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It was what he was doing with his fingers that concerned me, but on slomo, it looks like he was trying to wrench the ball from the grasp, and not the eyes from the face, of his opponent. No case to answer, but he's a Saints player - so who knows? (Although it is in the past, and I should move on, I still cannot believe the penalty to Steven Baker last year. Normally, I'm a hanging judge re reportable matters, but that was bizarre in all senses of the word. He was rubbed out for so long because of 'perceived', not reportable, indisgressions during his career as a tagger and not because of that incident.)
Will never quite get over that Baker decision.... absolutely defied every principle in the book ...even Bondy said on AW when the trainer said he hadn't seen contact that Baker must get off....

Still think the club should have taken a stand and tested the legal system as I believe it would have been laughed out of court.

Bakes holding up a premiership medallion would help ease the memory :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Nah the big fella's fine.

claystreet
Club Player

Hadnt seen a replay until now, but looking at it a few times it doesnt seem as bad as it looked initially.

We will soon see what the AFL think

GrumpyOne

MG - no case to answer - cos the GrumpyOne says so. 8-)

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Am I the only one who thinks Maric might have something to answer to? I'm sure I saw him punch someone in the head in retalliation...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Maric might have something to answer to? I'm sure I saw him punch someone in the head in retalliation...
No you are not. The Maric "retaliation" was much worse than the tiny little incidental tap by Gardiner.

if anything comes from that especially after the "Gehrig one week" tummy punches let off last week it will be a joke.

But then again thats what the MRP is.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:Am I the only one who thinks Maric might have something to answer to? I'm sure I saw him punch someone in the head in retalliation...
That was the biggest bit of play-acting from Gardiner. I don't even think contact was made to Gardiner's head. It was more high back but Gardiner made the most of it and won the free-kick.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

OLB wrote:That was the biggest bit of play-acting from Gardiner. I don't even think contact was made to Gardiner's head. It was more high back but Gardiner made the most of it and won the free-kick.
Yep.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

nothing in it....

but, Gards is wearing a red, white and black jumper, and is not really an AFL love child, so itll be a stressful few days...

honestly, this is the sort of incedent that the MRP get thier laughing stock reputation from... they may try and make something out of nothing here...

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:It was what he was doing with his fingers that concerned me, but on slomo, it looks like he was trying to wrench the ball from the grasp, and not the eyes from the face, of his opponent. No case to answer, but he's a Saints player - so who knows? (Although it is in the past, and I should move on, I still cannot believe the penalty to Steven Baker last year. Normally, I'm a hanging judge re reportable matters, but that was bizarre in all senses of the word. He was rubbed out for so long because of 'perceived', not reportable, indisgressions during his career as a tagger and not because of that incident.)
That would be 2007, not last year. Bakes only played two games last year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Solar
Saintsational Legend

looked worse then it really was, what will sve him is that the ball was very close

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
chook23
Saintsational Legend

no mention in match review outcomes

saint4life
B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

Sweet as a bun!
Contact between St Kilda’s Michael Gardiner and Adelaide’s Ivan Maric from the third quarter of Friday’s game was assessed. It was the view of the panel that there was no evidence to support a striking charge. No further action was taken.

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
Beej
Saintsational Legend

Great news.

The last thing we or he needs is some time out of the game now that he's in a decent run of form.