Are we ALL starting to warm to Lyon yet?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Are we ALL starting to warm to Lyon yet?

If anyone is still not starting to see good signs with our attitude and structure on the field WHY NOT?

I've always liked Ross Lyons direction but I must admit I did think our depleting list was going to be a big problem for him.

But having them playing better structure as a TEAM and seeming to be mentally stronger now believing in themselves more, we have actually gone up a level.

I believe our structured game play is the best I've seen for a long time and it seems we are now not intimidated by strong challenge from opposition and fold under pressure like we were.

3rd generation saint
Saintsational Legend

He certainly out coached Neil Craig last night, his strategy with McLeod came off brilliantly.

Except for the sanity nothing much has been lost.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Lyon has had to teach our players how to play when the opposition have the ball.

He was rubbished for this by many who had little vision that our previous sole-reliance on attack only had made us suitable to only be flat track bullies against poor teams while floundering against good teams.

Our defensive pressure against Sydney in the 2nd and 3rd quarters won us the game last week.

This week our 4 quarter effort in that regard had the Crows struggling against us.

Those with memory will recall how the Crows for a while have had the ability to choke us across their HB line and then to rebound with damaging affect. Last night there was none of that from the Crows.

To me....our defensive skills, set-ups....and work-rate are now a thing of beauty.

We now play TEAM football.....rather than relying on individual brilliance to win.

Indeed last night against the Crows our skills were off somewhat...but what had us dominating the game was our adherence at all times to team values, game plan...and work-rate...as witnessed by club record 88 tackles.

Lyon's favouritism of team players that work hard is no longer looking so silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

warm to him????......you could boil an egg on me.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Lyon has had to teach our players how to play when the opposition have the ball.

He was rubbished for this by many who had little vision that our previous sole-reliance on attack only had made us suitable to only be flat track bullies against poor teams while floundering against good teams.

Our defensive pressure against Sydney in the 2nd and 3rd quarters won us the game last week.

This week our 4 quarter effort in that regard had the Crows struggling against us.

Those with memory will recall how the Crows for a while have had the ability to choke us across their HB line and then to rebound with damaging affect. Last night there was none of that from the Crows.

To me....our defensive skills, set-ups....and work-rate are now a thing of beauty.

We now play TEAM football.....rather than relying on individual brilliance to win.

Indeed last night against the Crows our skills were off somewhat...but what had us dominating the game was our adherence at all times to team values, game plan...and work-rate...as witnessed by club record 88 tackles.

Lyon's favouritism of team players that work hard is no longer looking so silly!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

big turn around since the 1997 grand final...where the crows tackled and harassed us at every turn ...before running away with it in the last quarter......

...the pressure the boys exerted last night was unbelievable......and with a little luck they and straighter kicking for goal.... could have been six or seven goals further ahead

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Lyon has had to teach our players how to play when the opposition have the ball.

Great,intelligent post SR. I know you have for some time (along with others) been attmpting to get the philistines to understand this......Lyons HAS had to tinker with the list (fairly heavy prune really) AND TEACH the players what a TEAM game plan looks like.....reliance on the brilliance of kids or solo superstars like Riewoldt get you only so far...w.eve done that for years.

Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?

“Yeah….nah””
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:

Great,intelligent post SR. I know you have for some time (along with others) been attmpting to get the philistines to understand this......Lyons HAS had to tinker with the list (fairly heavy prune really) AND TEACH the players what a TEAM game plan looks like.....reliance on the brilliance of kids or solo superstars like Riewoldt get you only so far...w.eve done that for years.

Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?
you are both perfectly correct.....i have a lot more faith in the future after watching the two wins ....before that i was just praying .....i think even the bottom end players are now picking up double digit stats......very even performance last night...

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I'm beginning to warm to him big time...

It is clear that he is being very patient with his approach to a flag, he is building a list around his philosophies...

I think a big reason why a lot of us have lost patience with him is because we were so desperate to see Harvey win a flag, for me at least now that Harvey is gone I am willing to be a lot more patient...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Legendary
Club Player

Very good point Armooo.

Lyon is now 3-0 against Neil Craig (4-0 if you count the NAB Cup) ...

skeptic
Saintsational Legend

i have 1 concern about Lyon and that's the number of goaless 1/4s we have

i've always liked RL in a list management sense but i've questioned how negative we've played at times...
our best football (from last season) was when we began playing attacking football.

It seems like we've struck a good balance

We shouldn't get ahead of ourselves, but the signs are good that these were just growing pains

iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

Hmmm, I guess I am, more so than I was in 06.

Im still concerned with the lack of improvement, or it maybe even getting worse in relation to general disposal. Still alot of missed targets last night , especially ealry. If this can imrove....we will be on the way.

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?
Some of us have personal lives and can't get to the computer 24 hours per day, Teffers.

Anyway, if you'd be paying attention, you'd know that I've been on the Lyon bandwagon since last season when he dropped Dal and Milne.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
fingers
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:warm to him????......you could boil an egg on me.....
You can be quite funny when you're not being not funny ;)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Dropping Dal has very little to do with his current performance....he has played well before his dropping and after......him playing well has to do with his ability and form.....

Lyon is an astute coach who came with a game plan that, at the time did not suit the personnel available....he has tweaked it since and is now utilising the talent by implementing a vg structure.....

He has had three years do understand the groups strengths - and more importantly weaknesses, and utilise/rectify them....

The list has almost zero to do with anything (injuries maybe) but the core is almost the same.....and it's the core that delivers on a weekly basis...

The B&F leaders since Thommo's days are still the same...Roo, Joey, Gram, Lenny, Max, Sam, Blakey, Bally, Bakes, BJ.....and will be there again in 09

Yes - Harves, Fraser, Powelly, Sammy, Pecko have gone....but that's natural football progression....where they have gone, others have improved......it's the 23-28yo's that drive the teams results

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:
Teflon wrote:Wheres Saints 43 - one of Lyons biggest critics?, MeherBaba?, JeffDunne?, Rodgerfox (never sighted after a win...)....how you enjoying those eggs ladies?
Some of us have personal lives and can't get to the computer 24 hours per day, Teffers.

Anyway, if you'd be paying attention, you'd know that I've been on the Lyon bandwagon since last season when he dropped Dal and Milne.
Better late than never I guess Babble - I did try and tell you earlier... :wink:

I dont buy the "you have a life" thing for 1 minute though....it didnt take you that long to respond.. :wink:

Nice to have you on board finally......so now more silly "we are just Sydney" yeah?

“Yeah….nah””
SaintDebi
Club Player

I was a bit iffy about RL, and there is still something about him that I can't put my finger on. I'm thinking thats more to do with his lack of charisma and laconic way of speaking though: and lets face it, none of us care if he can string two words together as long as he is bringing us closer to a flag.
Credit where its due: Am I warming to Ross Lyon? Yes I guess I really am.

Gehrigs_son
Club Player

he is finally showing why he will be a superior coach to thomas. he has a total game plan whereas thomas had a great attacking game plan but the defense was average. Our weakness was always said to be our backline while he was coach, now he is gone we have one of the best backlines in the league

35...LEGEND
Club Player

HAHAHA...BIG BELLY LAUGH HERE :P :P

35...LEGEND
Club Player

Now that i've stopped giggling......

Yes I am......slowly but surely.

Not sure if i've stowed the boots into him yet (maybe,maybe not) but I have been frustrated at times like a lot on here.

These first two rounds have been very encouraging.....keep it up boys.....and ROSS.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

fingers wrote:
You can be quite funny when you're not being not funny ;)

.....:wink: ....i'm always being funny.....even when i am deliberately not being not funny...or deliberately being not funny......funny that...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol:

...i'm sure you can work that out....

goodie
Club Player

I think he sounds like he's taken a Valium before talking to the press, but not a bad coach

The_Dud
Saintsational Legend

i've been trying to tell u guys for the last 2 years, its about time some of u started to see the light :roll:

;)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

The_Dud wrote:i've been trying to tell u guys for the last 2 years, its about time some of u started to see the light :roll:

;)

:wink:

Solar
Saintsational Legend

yes

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
matrix
Saintsational Legend

<<getting there.
i like the way our pressure and fitness (especially running out the crows game) has improved (so far)