anger over bj gesture

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

anger over bj gesture

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/story/ ... 61,00.html

BRENDON Goddard has made a controversial tribute to his half-brother, Beau, saying the jailed heroin trafficker inspired his career.

Goddard sparked controversy on Friday night when he crossed his arms, believed to be symbolising handcuffs, after a last-quarter goal against Adelaide.

Yesterday, the star midfielder said the gesture was in honour of his half-sibling, who was jailed for 13 years in 2007 for heroin trafficking.

"I went and saw him (in prison) a month ago and he's been pleading (with) me to do it for him," Goddard said.

etc
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 05 Apr 2009 1:19am, edited 1 time in total.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Great footballer, strange family.

Blood is thicker than water.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:Great footballer, strange family.

Blood is thicker than water.
\

yep.......but i don't have a problem with bj's actions.......see bj thread...

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
rexy
SS Life Member

Probably not politically correct but who cares. Political correctness went to far some time back. If he wants to send a message to his brother then so be it. No ones business and if the media didnt make it a story it only would have meant anything to one person and that is his brother.

IMO the media are out of order and setting a bad example to the kiddies with this one :wink:

Maybe this year?
eppo67
Club Player

It was a stupid, lame 'tribute' that means nothing.

His half brother is a convicted drug trafficking scum bag who is where he deserves to be, in jail.

If Brendan fells the need to do something about it why doesn't he donate some of his time to a rehab centre for treating drug addicts, the very people his brother made a very hansome profit out of.

Making some lame immatutre gesture on national TV achieves nothing but making him look silly.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:His half brother is a convicted drug trafficking scum bag who is where he deserves to be, in jail.
true, but as bernard shakey rightly pointed out blood is thicker than water.

you can't blame a guy for supporting his family.
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 05 Apr 2009 12:13am, edited 2 times in total.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

eppo67 wrote:It was a stupid, lame 'tribute' that means nothing.

His half brother is a convicted drug trafficking scum bag who is where he deserves to be, in jail.

If Brendan fells the need to do something about it why doesn't he donate some of his time to a rehab centre for treating drug addicts, the very people his brother made a very hansome profit out of.

Making some lame immatutre gesture on national TV achieves nothing but making him look silly.

in your opinion that is....but you are entitled to it.....

..it would have gone unnoticed but for the press..it was between bj and his brother...it is no one else's business....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Solar
Saintsational Legend

do you actually know the full story? Perhaps his brother knows what he did was wrong and is serving his time.

As has been mentioned, family is important.

oh and remember that the druggies had a choice also (not suggesting trafficing is not a very bad crime)

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Victims of crime advocates were also angered by Goddard's gesture.

"To do that in front of people who idolise these players and wear their numbers on their backs is disgraceful," Crime Victims' Support Association president Noel McNamara said.

"His brother is guilty of selling stuff that kills people and makes them addicts.

"He could have given him a wave or a thumbs up, but this is poking muck at the police force and corrections services."
Last edited by bigcarl on Sun 05 Apr 2009 1:28am, edited 1 time in total.

rexy
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
Victims of crime advocates were also angered by Goddard's gesture.

"To do that in front of people who idolise these players and wear their numbers on their backs is disgraceful," Crime Victims' Support Association president Noel McNamara said.

"His brother is guilty of selling stuff that kills people and makes them addicts.

"He could have given him a wave or a thumbs up, but this is poking muck at the police force and corrections services."
With all due respect to the work he does I have met Noel and he is rarely happy with anything, would have thought supporting a family member through rehab was nobodys business but Bjs, its not like crossing your arms is some kind of international symbol to police, it is done daily on deal or no deal FFS :lol:

Maybe this year?
stkfc_obsessed
Club Player

I think a gesture to his brother is fine.. but the whole handcuff thing.. just distasteful.. especially with this Underbelly hype still around.

ace
Saintsational Legend

Goddard gives a spray to his teammates whenever they make a mistake.

I would have hoped that the spray he gave his half brother Beau for heroin trafficking would have been sufficient for Beau to never ask for any favours.

Fortunately Beau will remain in jail where he belongs for the remainder of Goddard's playing career.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Before you comment, learn how to spell his name peanut.

It's family you fu*king twit and as was said before, blood is thicker than water.

I have no problem with what BJ did.

St DAC
SS Hall of Fame

The Saintsational Man wrote:I have no problem with what BJ did.
Nor I. That gesture may have meant the world to a bloke who is paying for a severe lack of judgement, yet may still have redeemable qualities as a brother. Certainly from what BJ has publicly said (and done with his visible support of his brother) they were pretty close while BJ was growing up. You can love a person without approving of the entirety of their conduct.

If the do-gooders don't like it stuff 'em. Beau is getting his deserved whack for his crimes; what more do they want?

saint08
Club Player

FFS , his brother's actions were very bad, but he has been caught and given a very long prison term. He is being punished , and I'm sure BJ would understand that heoin trafficers go to jail- but does that mean that a person should give no gesture of support to their brother?

If I had a sibling in jail for something like that, - and no one is more anti drugs than me- I'd still try to be supportive during their 10 long years in jail . It's not an attempt to justify his brother's crimes, or defy the legal system , or anything offensive to the public.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

IMHO, his gesture as a 'role model' pales into insignificance in comparison to:-

The Herald Sun publishing his photograph (and only his) when reporting on his Brother's conviction.

The vision of Port Adelaide scum (including Dean Bogan) attempting to intimidate Andrew Lovett last week.

In fact, how would any person watching what BJ did be influenced by teh vision. It's only the media specualtion afterwards that raises any connotations with his brother.

Unlike the vision of the PA player coat-hangering Lovett and then standing over him and giving him a gobfull whilst he lay on the ground.

james rose
Club Player

for starters we are all assuming it was meant as handcuffs... we don't know that.

as someone said above its used as a symbol for no deal on tv every day... maybe it was something along those lines we don't know about?

Supporting your brother going through jail doesn't mean you disagree with his punishment or support trafficking

eppo67
Club Player

Saintsational man I have been a cop for 20+ years you fu*king twit putting up with the damage that drugs do on a daily basis.

Tell me all about your experience with the damage drugs do to families and society.

If Goddard wants it to be such a private family matter why didn't he take some private photos of himself after the game doing his handcuff symbol and send it to him in jail or better still give it to him next time he visits him in jail you peanut.

And yes Solar I do know a bit about the case.

james rose
Club Player

eppo67 wrote:Saintsational man I have been a cop for 20+ years you fu*king twit putting up with the damage that drugs do on a daily basis.

Tell me all about your experience with the damage drugs do to families and society.

If Goddard wants it to be such a private family matter why didn't he take some private photos of himself after the game doing his handcuff symbol and send it to him in jail or better still give it to him next time he visits him in jail you peanut.

And yes Solar I do know a bit about the case.
supporting his brother isn't condoning his actions. I would of thought you being involved in this sort of stuff would know the difference? Surely its a very important part of rehabilitation?

SaintDebi
Club Player

How many of us would have even made the connection to hand cuffs and support of his brother if the media hadn't hijacked the gesture to make a bigger deal of it, and if we weren't all keeping the whole thing going?
If we dont want to promote or glamourise the gesture we should probably not keep feeding the frenzy.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

My biggest objection to this is the way the media had beat it up.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

borderbarry wrote:My biggest objection to this is the way the media had beat it up.
The media are not to blame.

BJ quite clearly wanted to make a public statement in support of his brother.

Personally, I don't think it's appropriate to use the Saints jumper to make public statements of this nature.

However, as I said before, blood is thicker than water.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

good for bj...people makes mistakes regardless of the magnitude...its the goddard families concern and how bj wants to address them publicly and privately is up to him

if he wants to use his career as dedictation for his brother even...good for him...if it gets him fired up then good...

good

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
StSteven
Club Player

Very poor. Using his privileged position with club to make a public statement. If he wasn't wearing our jumper no one would have noticed or cared. Didn't Michael G do the same at WCE?

Griggsy
SS Life Member

It was fine. It was just a symbol to his brother. It wasn't a call for release, unfair trial or wrong conviction or whatever you can think up. So dont say he is supporting criminal acts and making this grand public gesture.

In my eyes its just letting his brother know that in the world outside of prison his family is still thinking about him and have not forgotten. Maybe he needs the support from loved ones to help him get through. You know , that moral support thing, he is still human even if he is a criminal.