Goose: Is he finished???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

Goose: Is he finished???

I hate to say it, but I think his time is up.

From the Sandy/Bendigo post, he was still struggling, as has been the case for several weeks.

Perhaps I'm impatient, and sure, I don't expect an AFL game from him until mid-season, but I reckon the game has gone past him and he's yesterday's man.

.....the one saving grace that may see him back and valueable is his attitude and commitment to getting back in the one's, which I assume is first-rate.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

Needs a new position - FF

SaintDebi
Club Player

I hope you are wrong. Matty was just starting to really show what an impact he could have before he was injured. You would expect recovery to be slower after the many complications he had, and I hope that passing of time doesn't leave him struggling to find that form again.
Hopefully that commitment you talk about will help get him back into the side to prove he is not "yesterday's man", but I guess only time will tell.

Shaggy
Club Player

Goose is no FF.

Next year Goose should be expected to make a difference ... but not this year.

dalboy
Club Player

Yes, sorry, he's finished!

Happiness is a warm pie!
stinger
Saintsational Legend

i flowering hope not.....for our sake....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Shaggy
Club Player

dalboy wrote:Yes, sorry, he's finished!
No he is not :shock: But yes in terms of making an instant impact he is.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: Goose: Is he finished???

saintspremiers wrote:I hate to say it, but I think his time is up.

From the Sandy/Bendigo post, he was still struggling, as has been the case for several weeks.

I seem to remember that many wrote off Gardi who was struggling last year. He has looked ok the last two weeks though...

So while Goose may be finished, writing him off just yet would seem to be a bit premature..

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
saintspremiers wrote:I hate to say it, but I think his time is up.

I seem to remember that many wrote off Gardi who was struggling last year. He has looked ok the last two weeks though...

So while Goose may be finished, writing him off just yet would seem to be a bit premature..

i would think so......didn't know we had so many sports medicine pple on here today....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
joffaboy
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote: I seem to remember that many wrote off Gardi who was struggling last year. He has looked ok the last two weeks though...

Was about to write the same thing.

We may not even see the best of Goose this year but mabye if he gets through and gets a full preseason then 2010 may be the year.

Be patient.

Lance or James??

There comes a point in every man's life when he has to say, "Enough is enough." For me, that time is now. I have been dealing with claims that I cheated and had an unfair advantage in <redacted>. Over the past three years, I have been subjected to a <redacted>investigation followed by <redacted> witch hunt. The toll this has taken on my family, and my work for <redacted>and on me leads me to where I am today – finished with this nonsense. (Oops just got a spontaneous errection <unredacted>)
PJ
SS Life Member

Too early and too negative. Just see what happens over the year.

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
PJ
SS Life Member

Perhaps the thread should read "Goose is cooked"

I've never seen a bad St.Kilda player - that's just how they are.
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

joffaboy wrote:
saintsRrising wrote: I seem to remember that many wrote off Gardi who was struggling last year. He has looked ok the last two weeks though...

We may not even see the best of Goose this year but mabye if he gets through and gets a full preseason then 2010 may be the year.

Be patient.
agreed, give him time...its not alarm bells yet as we seem to be coping and were top 4 without him despite getting flogged when it mattered

the world isnt caving in and our backline will be strengthened because of his return

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
skeptic
Saintsational Legend

ur expectations are unbeliveable.

The guys played stuff all footy for 2 years. He needs to spend this 1st half of the year just getting his fitness back up and getting basic match conditioning. Other than this preseason, he would have done very little skills work, or 1:1 spoiling/marking

Guys like goose, raph, x etc you have to build a ridiculously solid foundation (both physical fitness and match fitness as well as skills) before you get them playing again otherwise the results are disasterous.

Take Raph. Injury, 2 weeks in the 2s, seniors = injury. Thats was his first few years. Then he played for 5 or 6 games in the 2s before being promited by RL for a long stint in te seniors and it nearly destroyed his career... played a lot of poor footy.
Then had a long stint in the 2s, built up some skills and confidence, earned his spot and then gradually built up form and confidence in the seniors.

Goose is a long long term project

happy feet
Club Player

No way

Alot of people said Michael Gardiner was finished. We gave him time and I think he will deliver this year, he certainly has in the last two game. Matt Maguire will be back, and other teams will not be happy about that fact. Remember our motto - give goose the motto - he has played by it and deserves its respect.

Quixote
SS Life Member

^^^^ TOP POST

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
Otiman
Saintsational Legend

I think I can be quoted as saying we should have delisted Goose after 2007 or 2008, but I'm going to change my tune now.

If he can stay on the park even running at 60% in the VFL 2's, get his match fitness up again, along with his confidence, we'll have a player on our hands.

IMO we need to treat him as a first year rookie and play him accordingly.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Why is it I generally don't like the content of any of the threads that start with either

"I hate to say it, but"

or

"Sorry, but I think"

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

too good a player to write off at age 24 and since we've stuck with him this far we need to see it through, imo.

the guy has shown immense determination to get back from heartbreaking setbacks.

my big concern with goose is that ross wouldn't have seen much of him at his best and must wonder what all the fuss is about.

that might count against him.

his body seems to be holding up okay but it might take a while for him to rebuild some confidence in it.

dawson is a kid who will improve with time and matches, but i didn't see much on friday that goose doesn't offer.

4ever_saint
Club Player

joffaboy wrote:

Be patient.
The real worry with waiting for him to make an impact in 2010 is that he's out of contract at the end of this year. I think he needs to show this year that he can get back to AFL level and not simply 'struggle' in the reserves.
Last edited by 4ever_saint on Mon 06 Apr 2009 7:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Goose would not have lost his ability or courage, just his confidence and feel for the game... This can be regained with time and consistent play...

IMO, from the little of seen of him this year, i think he will get back to the level of AFL...

As a key defender...

He has no use as a forward, despite where he played as a junior... He is completely lost in the forward line... If Kosi is accused of not being a natural forward, Goose will be hung, drawn and quatered by all on here if he were to line up at FF... And his kicking for goal makes Roo look like Plugger....

CHB is his go, hopefully sometime from round 10 onward....

kaos theory
Club Player

I hate to say it, but I think his time is up.
This is stupid.

He has been out with a major injury for over 2 years, and some people expect him to be pushing for a senior position after 2 games??? :roll:

Players that miss 6 to 12 months (e.g. because of knee), often take another 12 months before they regain their form and the pace of the game. The rule of thumb is that for every game that's missed, it takes that many games to get your touch & feel back.

I have NO expectation for goose to play a major impact this year.

He may well not make it, BUT to draw those conclusions now is rediculous.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Dont know about reports from the practice game but Goose is improving every week in games and on the track and is much closer than many think on here to a return to the AFL. 2-3 more improved games and he will be back.

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:Dont know about reports from the practice game but Goose is improving every week in games and on the track and is much closer than many think on here to a return to the AFL. 2-3 more improved games and he will be back.
what round do you think he will be back?

(I know it's a guess...)

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

I do not think he is agile enough (or has the tank) to play CHB ... .anymore....Jason Blake has that postion covered, Sam Fisher as back up

Does not anticipate well enough to play FB (often ten meters off opponent)....max and Zac are 1 & 2 there

Not skilled creative enough to play as a third tall - a player that needs to do damage offensively....Sam has that position covered.....Sam Gilbo as back up with Raph behind them....

So he will not force his way into our defence......if he does we will lose run and become more cumbersome......

Our back six is pretty set (even with back ups)
Hudghton (Zac) - FB
Blake (Sam) - CHB/Second tall
S.Fisher (Gilbo) - Third tall
Baker ( Begley) - Small back
Raph (Gilbo) - Fourth/Utility back
Ray/Gram/Dal/X/ - Running Back

Swingman - Gilbert (Gwilt)

As I said earlier - Maguire is not in the picture.......as a defender and need a new role...

We have NO third fwd......he could become a Hamill type fwd......aggressive and provide a contest he will NOT kick many goals....but will be a target (Cam Mooney)......, and improve structure..........

Why can he NOT play fwd........is he NOT strong overhead......is he not courageous.....is he not a poweful kick......is he not agressive and tough????????

Is he a better option than Gwilt?????

He can no longer look after an opponent IMO (too slow)......but could become a fwd target......often these days a fwds job is to be selfless and compete whilst outnumbered and lock the ball in....and make sure the spare numbers think twice about filling holes.......

HF: Riewoldt - Kosi - Midfielder

F: Milne - Maguire - Schnieder