Riewoldt not going well makes our forward line better?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

gringo
Saintsational Legend

Riewoldt not going well makes our forward line better?

It may just be that the whole team is looking better this year or is the team better for not placing as much reliance on Roo.

It seemed to me like the saints went to Riewoldt when he was triple or double teamed last year because he was the only reliable focal point.

It appears the load is being spread and brings us a less predictable forward structure.

Sometimes spilling the ball for the small forwards can be better than Roo in close on an angle.

I still would rather have 3 Nick Riewoldts running around but I think it may not be a bad thing for the others to show their skills and let them become legitimate options on the lead.

Saints94
SS Life Member

It is as simple as this "play Roo on the wing"

HarveysDeciple

It's good having a mdfield snagging a few goals.

Geary, Gram, Goddard, DalSanto and Joey have kicked them this season.

And both ruckmen also pushing forward and looking dangerous.

Not to mention the second tall Kozi is in form.

It's been very good

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Riewoldt not going well makes our forward line better?

gringo wrote:It may just be that the whole team is looking better this year or is the team better for not placing as much reliance on Roo.

It seemed to me like the saints went to Riewoldt when he was triple or double teamed last year because he was the only reliable focal point.

It appears the load is being spread and brings us a less predictable forward structure.

Sometimes spilling the ball for the small forwards can be better than Roo in close on an angle.

I still would rather have 3 Nick Riewoldts running around but I think it may not be a bad thing for the others to show their skills and let them become legitimate options on the lead.

...yep.....they are also playing better because banger left too.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...now if we can only get rid of dal, lenny and joey, we should have the premiership in the bag...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

I think it is simply that Kosi is in form.
Milne and Schneider are doing what they always do.

The only real difference in our forward line is that Kosi is on song while Roo is struggling, it's usually the other way around.

The real improvement that has come has been from the midfield contributing on the scoreboard a bit more IMO...

A fit and firing Roo rotating between FF and the wing will just enhance it.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
noob
Club Player

this is what i said in another thread, just gives other players responsibility to kick goals instead of relying on just the one target

Saints94
SS Life Member

noob wrote:this is what i said in another thread, just gives other players responsibility to kick goals instead of relying on just the one target
thats why Carlton will be a finals contender this year because there not kicking it to Fev all the time

degruch
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
gringo wrote:It may just be that the whole team is looking better this year or is the team better for not placing as much reliance on Roo.

...yep.....they are also playing better because banger left too.......... :roll: :roll: :roll:

...now if we can only get rid of dal, lenny and joey, we should have the premiership in the bag...... :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol:
What about ONLY fielding Roo? Without anyone to get in his way, he'll kick 20 goals for us every game!

Saints94
SS Life Member

degruch wrote:
stinger wrote:

What about ONLY fielding Roo? Without anyone to get in his way, he'll kick 20 goals for us every game!
Yeah what 20 goals 17

Batnoe

we still only average 90 points 'for' every week

until we do a Carlton and can kick over 130, we dont have a good forward line, our defensive play is great, if we can then make other teams choke and head into forward line quicker the better

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

We played well because EVERY player extracted the digit and followed the plan (read: intensity & structure - the wank words!).

Saints94
SS Life Member

should we chase a ready made star forward in trade week :roll:

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy5 wrote:should we chase a ready made star forward in trade week :roll:
We're not going to get much with pick 16/17 :wink: :wink:

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Armoooo wrote:I think it is simply that Kosi is in form.
Milne and Schneider are doing what they always do.

The only real difference in our forward line is that Kosi is on song while Roo is struggling, it's usually the other way around.

The real improvement that has come has been from the midfield contributing on the scoreboard a bit more IMO...

A fit and firing Roo rotating between FF and the wing will just enhance it.
I agree however I think also this time last year our team structure and game plan was based around Gtrain being in the team and it only took a game or two to realise that he was not going to see the year out and so this would have affected said team structure and game plan. And yes Kosi still hadn't got his mojo back and Roo was taped up like a mummy and was kicking like a spastic chicken. This time last year our forward line was a train wreck.

BigMart
Saintsational Legend

When Riewoldt hit his straps R12-22 last year we won 8 out of ten

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

we look a hell of a lot better with an even contribution from all our forwards.

can't afford to bank on riewoldt - great player though he is - to kick us a winning score every week.

depending on the state of the match i wouldn't mind seeing roo given an occasional run on the wing with bj given a rest at ff.

he seems to have the knack or producing a quick goal from somewhere.

sainter35
Club Player

It just goes to show the importance of having two dominant key forwards.

Even if one is slightly down the other is there to pick up the slack and I think that's why Grant Thomas thinks Kosi is the most important player to our structure. You know with Riewoldt that even if he's getting beaten he's going to work his backside off and more often than not take the oppositions best defender.

Take next game. The Eagles have one premier key defender in Darren Glass so assuming they stick to their plan of playing Hunter as a forward they'll most likely have to play a youngster like Brown of McKenzie on the other tall.

Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

McEvoy5 wrote:
noob wrote:this is what i said in another thread, just gives other players responsibility to kick goals instead of relying on just the one target
thats why Carlton will be a finals contender this year because there not kicking it to Fev all the time
its two games......you type as if you have watched an entire season of carlton not kicking it to fev and winning

roo will be fine

and no he shouldnt play on the wing...he will get cheap kicks and not be as effective as what he is in the forwardline

geez

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

How about we just leave everything as it is now, it's working fine. Roo will improve with some game time under his belt....

Foz
Club Player

everyone knows Roo is underdone, he should be about ready now.

as far as fwd line performing, it is only rd 2 - stats are

Points for rank 10
Inside 50's rank 11
points agst rank 1
inside 50's (opp) rank 1

Obviously early days and we have played 2 teams that dont pepper the goals and are defensive in nature. As Roo improves and provides more run around the 50 arc, entry into 50 should improve as should scoring ability. Also, a reason why we needed the Tom Lynch lead up forward IMO.

saintwill66
Club Player

stinger wrote:
Funny thing is this Stinger, that the 2009 team in its 1st 2 games is playing better than they did in recent years, and whilst some people consider this heresy, there are strong arguments that Harvey's permanent departure is good for the team.

It often happens that teams with superstars focus their attack through these stars - they sometimes demonstrate their contempt when team-mates fail to pass the ball to them, Richo at Richmond was a classic! Not that Harvey or Reiwoldt carry on like that but the point is that we'd rather a champion team than a team of champions.

With Riewoldt down in fitness and form the Saints delivered a much improved team effort, in fact there was no clear BOG and it will be great if this style of play continues once Roo comes good.

hAyES
Club Player

Hopefully Kosi keeps it up and Roo can get back into the form that he was in the second half of the year. If it does happen there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking at a top 4 spot or maybe even higher. If Kosi can keep it up it means Roo can play in the midfield more which makes him even more of a difficult matchup once he gets his fitness up.

It all really depends on Kosi.

Dis Believer
Saintsational Legend
Location: The terraces at Moorabbin, in the pouring rain.......

Cairnsman wrote:and was kicking like a spastic chicken.
For some reason this phrase gave me a big belly laugh. Thanks. :D

The heavy metal artist formerly known as True Believer!
IF you look around the room and can't identify who the sucker is, then it's probably you!
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

hAyES wrote:Hopefully Kosi keeps it up and Roo can get back into the form that he was in the second half of the year. If it does happen there's no reason why we shouldn't be looking at a top 4 spot or maybe even higher. If Kosi can keep it up it means Roo can play in the midfield more which makes him even more of a difficult matchup once he gets his fitness up.

It all really depends on Kosi.
It all really depends on us continuing to improve across the board. I am a big Kosi fan, and I am so happy he has enjoyed a solid preseason and form. However, it will be a consistent effort from all the boys that will see us experiencing success in September.

matrix
Saintsational Legend

True Believer wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:and was kicking like a spastic chicken.
For some reason this phrase gave me a big belly laugh. Thanks. :D
im still friggin laughing....
funny shite lol