Members only email!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

hotdish
Club Player

Members only email!

What is the point of sending out a members email if it has nothing to say?

It has a quick hi from "nick riewoldt" before offering a few links to the saints.com.au articles from that week, and a match report. Thus its material that anyone in the world can view - there is not anything "members only" about this content.

What ever happened to the old members email of a few years back (I wasn't a member last year) where they'd give a run down of how the VFL players are going?

There is no value in these current emails, and they deserve to be tagged junk mail.

So many people sign up to be members who don't even get to see a game all year - surely the club can organise a decent email thats informative, and not some 5 minute piece of crap thrown together.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

yep, completely agree. that email is a waste of internet.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

Yeah I don't even read them, just a straight delete...

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
SaintDebi
Club Player

For some reason I stopped getting them for a while, so I rang the club and had them fix it so I get them again. Don't know why I bothered.....

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I haven't even recieved my membership yet that I bought two weeks ago(late I know). How hard can it be to send out a membership.

'Football first'..members last

Bring back the Lockett era
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

It's a great idea and should be kept up - any contact with the fans should be welcomed.

But I do agree it would be nice if it had a few more bits and pieces that could make it worthwhile reading...

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

It wasn't all that long ago that we got NOTHING. Let's be grateful. We could even send ideas to the club on how to make it better if we are disatisfied !!

hotdish
Club Player

Eastern wrote:It wasn't all that long ago that we got NOTHING. Let's be grateful. We could even send ideas to the club on how to make it better if we are disatisfied !!
Let's be grateful?

I pay $100+ a year for a membership that I will be lucky to use once!

I don't think getting a club employee to spend 1 hour a week to write a decent members only email would hurt - At the moment all they do is copy + paste links from the saints website and write some blurb from N Riewoldt that I couldn't care less to read.

Even a bloody injury list with a few comments about each player would be better than the crap we get now.

Banger2Plugger
Club Player

And the StFC are supposed to know you are only going to use your 11 game membership to attend 1 game...how?

Let us also remember, the club is still very much using volunteers to perform a number of jobs - perhaps you should volunteer to add content to a members only page if you are dissatisfied

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
Banger2Plugger
Club Player

I am fast becoming lost with this "me me me me" club member syndrome - when will enough be enough?
YES we all want value for money...we all want more bang for our buck - but it is still a football club run on a budget, with volunteer organisations and coeteries, raffles, and other initiatives to keep the club afloat.

I pose this famous quote (with a lil adjustment)

Ask not what your football club can do for you......but what you can do for the club.

I see and appreciate the time and effort put in by volunteers in the Social Club, the Angels, the cheersquad - and even the moderators of this website. I wished to shake their hands for sharing, and taking the time out to do things for my club that I support.

Yes I am a paid up member, and a social club member - I pay for my 11 games - whether I attend or not - anything else I am thankful for.

If everyone speeds, why haven't you been overtaken?
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Banger2Plugger wrote:Let us also remember, the club is still very much using volunteers to perform a number of jobs - perhaps you should volunteer to add content to a members only page if you are dissatisfied
i didn't know that the club was using volunteers for this job, but regardless of how much they pay the person who writes it, the email is useless. it should contain more content, less advertising. if it's actually the "members only" email, then why have this: "Show your commitment to the Club like Roo, Lenny and Luke by signing up for a 2009 membership today." we're already members, that's why we're getting the email.

it should be sent first thing on the monday morning and contain, in this order:
- a match report for the seniors
- a match report for the reserves/thirds
- brief information about the injured players or players who didn't play
- ticketing information for the next game
- information about any official functions coming up

some of these things can be links to the website (which itself is horrible), but there should be at least some content in the actual email. if it's got all this stuff, after that it can have some advertising - "buy merchandise", "use jeld-wen", etc. otherwise what's the point?

and let's not pretend riewoldt writes it. why put his signature on it?

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

Banger2Plugger wrote:Ask not what your football club can do for you......but what you can do for the club.
that attitude's unlikely to increase membership. not many people want to pay $400 for a adult 16 social club membership and then donate their time on top of that. those who will are in the minority. attracting new members is about presenting them with a positive value proposition - giving them things that are useful.

the members only email looks amateurish. if they can't get it right, they shouldn't send it. it's that simple. compare it (and the website) with those of essendon or collingwood (the benchmarks) and see what you think.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

When the members email first started Burkey use to do a write up on the game. This report was an "insider's" point of view. Of course Burkey left and the rest is history. Maybe we should Mail Michael? They may not be aware that people arn't happy with the newsletter.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
hotdish
Club Player

Banger2Plugger wrote:I am fast becoming lost with this "me me me me" club member syndrome - when will enough be enough?
YES we all want value for money...we all want more bang for our buck - but it is still a football club run on a budget, with volunteer organisations and coeteries, raffles, and other initiatives to keep the club afloat.

I pose this famous quote (with a lil adjustment)

Ask not what your football club can do for you......but what you can do for the club.

I see and appreciate the time and effort put in by volunteers in the Social Club, the Angels, the cheersquad - and even the moderators of this website. I wished to shake their hands for sharing, and taking the time out to do things for my club that I support.

Yes I am a paid up member, and a social club member - I pay for my 11 games - whether I attend or not - anything else I am thankful for.

I understand where you are coming from, but disagree with most of your post.

My criticism of the email was not me bitching about not attending games - due to geographical location many of our members cannot attend games.

BUT people sign up because we love the club.

The club is a business - one that would have revenues of around 20+ million a year - this isn't your local club that needs volunteers to run the tuckshop and cut up oranges at half time. Surely they could get someone to do an interview on each monday with the VFL coach about players and email us? Or post a non-bullcrap injury list with real estimates on when players will be back.

The current email is a disgrace. As someone pointed out, they are preaching to the converted by advertising the membership hotline to join up!

The club is a business. Yes, the saintscentral site is good, and props to the club for that, but whats the point of the memberse only email if it has nothing that is members only!

SaintDebi
Club Player

Yes I am a paid up member, and a social club member - I pay for my 11 games - whether I attend or not - anything else I am thankful for.[/quote]

Would be fair comment if the members only e-mail was just an incidental extra.
I'm not suggesting that anyone has chosen to become a member because of the e-mail,and personally I'm not losing any sleep over its content, but still it should be noted that the club uses the members e-mail as a selling point in its membership brochure, as one of the benefits that you are indeed paying for as part of your membership package.