GT on Sen

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

axcellence wrote:
chook23 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
sainter35 wrote:Didn't he have us finishing eighth last week and wasn't convinced?

Now we're Geelong with the ball and Hawthorn without the ball?
Exactly

must think all were new listners this week

knob
Isnt he allowed to change his mind after a 97 point victory or are only all other people allowed to do it. Some peoples hatred of GT just makes me sick.
If he was that smart a football person or media man would not have such a change of heart as a RESULT OF ONE MATCH.

nothing to do with hatred from me.

Oh... a lot of people do that... how many people picked Geelong to beat Hawthorn in the GF? And then, changed their minds about the better team once Hawthorn won...
EXACTLY! There was not one person on this planet that picked the Hawks to beat Geelong in the GF. Perception is everything.

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I would like to hear what he has to say tonight

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
chook23
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
axcellence wrote:
chook23 wrote:
plugger66 wrote:
chook23 wrote:
sainter35 wrote:Didn't he have us finishing eighth last week and wasn't convinced?

Now we're Geelong with the ball and Hawthorn without the ball?
Exactly

must think all were new listners this week

knob
Isnt he allowed to change his mind after a 97 point victory or are only all other people allowed to do it. Some peoples hatred of GT just makes me sick.
If he was that smart a football person or media man would not have such a change of heart as a RESULT OF ONE MATCH.

nothing to do with hatred from me.

Oh... a lot of people do that... how many people picked Geelong to beat Hawthorn in the GF? And then, changed their minds about the better team once Hawthorn won...
EXACTLY! There was not one person on this planet that picked the Hawks to beat Geelong in the GF. Perception is everything.
but that was not my point

see earlier posts

saint4life
evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Grant's a Sainter, end of story.

He'd love to see us win it. He's got a tremendous insight and I enjoy reading/hearing his stuff.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

marksnsparks wrote:I can't help but detect an undercurrent of some sort in this article. Something like "after messing about a bit with dodgy boring gameplans, RL is finally letting the team I put together play how they can..."
spot on Mark I sense that also.

the ruck situation he just couldnt gloss over - he stuffed that big time.

geez we made this bloke a footy expert? :lol:

“Yeah….nah””
TheOptimist
Club Player

It was funny watching him tonite.

On the one hand, he rates Eade as one of the best tacticians in football... yet when Eade was available, Gin and Tonic didn't step down and attempt to get Eade to the Saints.

Funny also was hos grading of Ross... given how poorly he performed in his first 2 years...

And his comment that we would have performed better with an experienced coach... yet he didn't let that stop him from taking on the job as senior coach.

Man speaks with forked tongue.

... Oh how I want to be with St Kilda!
Teflon
Saintsational Legend

TheOptimist wrote: Man speaks with forked tongue.
yep sure does - have seen the type so often...would not trust it at all.

cost Butters a cool $1m.....hope he learnt something from allowing leeches to be "mates".

“Yeah….nah””
TheOptimist
Club Player

Teflon wrote:

cost Butters a cool $1m.....hope he learnt something from allowing leeches to be "mates".
Frankly, I'm sure what the obsession is everytime he opens his mouth. He is but a mere pimple on the backside of our great club's history.

One thing I will state is that with the list turnover, and new playing style... we won't hear any coddswallop about Gin and Tonic's fingerprints being on the cup.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:

Frankly, I'm sure what the obsession is everytime he opens his mouth. He is but a mere pimple on the backside of our great club's history.

One thing I will state is that with the list turnover, and new playing style... we won't hear any coddswallop about Gin and Tonic's fingerprints being on the cup.
good point about the cup.

its ironic though in one respect...you could make a case for Butters having more input to any future success....he sacked him AND recruited Lyon.

Still a long way to go but at least we dont have Atilla in charg now....

“Yeah….nah””
TheOptimist
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:

its ironic though in one respect...you could make a case for Butters having more input to any future success....he sacked him AND recruited Lyon.

I sense some anger in your voice. Why is that?

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:

its possibly more relief...we now can go forward as a team without the need for false prophets...

“Yeah….nah””
TheOptimist
Club Player

Teflon wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:
TheOptimist wrote:
Teflon wrote:

its possibly more relief...we now can go forward as a team without the need for false prophets...
no, no. definetaly anger. I've read some other threads. LOL.

markp
Saintsational Legend

TheOptimist wrote:It was funny watching him tonite.

On the one hand, he rates Eade as one of the best tacticians in football... yet when Eade was available, Gin and Tonic didn't step down and attempt to get Eade to the Saints.

Funny also was hos grading of Ross... given how poorly he performed in his first 2 years...

And his comment that we would have performed better with an experienced coach... yet he didn't let that stop him from taking on the job as senior coach.

Spot on.

He wouldn't have even stepped aside for JC if he'd come to him and guaranteed us a flag..... the man is part swine, part turnip.

pluggerisbest

markp wrote:

Spot on.

He wouldn't have even stepped aside for JC if he'd come to him and guaranteed us a flag..... the man is part swine, part turnip.
Why would he step aside for Eade. He had a vision that maybe only injuries stopped. Some people have only one eye open when discussing Gt. Last night he was asked for his opiinons as a media commentator and I would have thought they were pretty much spot on but I suppose i had 2 eyes on the show.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

pluggerisbest wrote:
markp wrote:

Spot on.

Why would he step aside for Eade.
He had a vision that maybe only injuries stopped. Some people have only one eye open when discussing Gt. Last night he was asked for his opiinons as a media commentator and I would have thought they were pretty much spot on but I suppose i had 2 eyes on the show.
Didn't GT famously make a statement along the lines that 'he would step down if a better coach was available'?

Maybe he felt he was a better coach than Eade?
Maybe Eade's ability has only grown since GT was sacked?

And, how 'genuine' was Hutchy asking GT for his 'thoughts' on Lyon's coaching? They don't try to be controversial on that show at all.
I'm positive none of them knew what was going to come out of GT's mouth after they asked the question. :roll:

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
Didn't GT famously make a statement along the lines that 'he would step down if a better coach was available'?
A better coach for the job, was what he said.

He felt he was the best coach for that job, at that time. Not the best coach at that time, but the coach best suited for the role at that stage of the club's history.

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

A very backhanded and condescending article. It has a tone of "you idiot - get out of the way and let the boys play, the way I did" about it.

The only credit he truly gives to RL is King/Gardi. The rest of the article is about "his boys".

What an a**wipe.

Mr Magic
Saintsational Legend

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
A better coach for the job, was what he said.

He felt he was the best coach for that job, at that time. Not the best coach at that time, but the coach best suited for the role at that stage of the club's history.
So given that he obviously thought he was 'the best coach for the job' at that time, what was the point of his magnanamous offer to step aside if there was a 'better copach for the job'?

And how does that now reconcile with what he stated last night about being replaced by a 'Matthews'?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

saintbrat wrote:I like the company he keeps
http://wwos.ninemsn.com.au/Blog.aspx?blogid=4088

Saints send a shiver 12/04/2009, Grant Thomas
I accompanied former strongman and captain Aaron Hamill and were served up a sublime performance by the Saints.
how about this quote quote from ninemsn

"Grant Thomas is a former St Kilda coach and a leading authority on all things AFL."

leading authority????????????

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

markp wrote:I honestly don't believe he wants us to do well... I honestly believe he would've rather stayed 'in charge' and let us fail than stepped aside and seen us succeed, if that's what was required.

If he has changed in a single round from seeing us finishing 8th and is now building us up and comparing us to Geelong and the Hawks, I think it's so he can deride us if we fall short.
No - having read the article now, I think I get it...

GT thinks he could have taken the Saints to a GF by now.

It's RL he would be deriding if the players fell short.

Of course this is all a two-edged sword - if it's all about the players then as a coach he contributed sweet stuff-all, except knowing how to get out of their way. After all, this is a man who never served as an assistant coach in AFL.

He lacks the professionalism to guard his bias. Personally I don't think he belongs in the media at all. On the subject of the Saints he should say very little, or nothing at all.

rodgerfox
Saintsational Legend

Mr Magic wrote:
So given that he obviously thought he was 'the best coach for the job' at that time, what was the point of his magnanamous offer to step aside if there was a 'better copach for the job'?
You'd have to ask him that.

TheOptimist
Club Player

rodgerfox wrote:
Mr Magic wrote:
You'd have to ask him that.
Gentlemen, I do recall him stating that he would happily step asidde if someone better suited came along.

My question is: Did they even approach Eade and interview him? I mean, how else would you know if he was suitable? Or was this another part of the sham process at the time?

I did find his comments odd, though about appointing a lEigh Matthews etc. The question that should have been asked was "do you think the club would have done better had they appointed Matthews after they sacked Blight?" Or better yet, would they have done better had he remained in charge?

I don't mind him commenting on the status quo, but it would be nice to hear him admit that he screwed up in certain areas.

markp
Saintsational Legend

pluggerisbest wrote:
markp wrote:

Spot on.

Why would he step aside for Eade. He had a vision that maybe only injuries stopped. Some people have only one eye open when discussing Gt. Last night he was asked for his opiinons as a media commentator and I would have thought they were pretty much spot on but I suppose i had 2 eyes on the show.
Welcome to the forum plugerisbest :wink:

I also have 2 eyes... and a brain! :D

GT's is a story as old as time... man is 'installed' during a time of great upheaval (reluctantly, of course) under the guise of restoring order and stepping aside when stability returns (very very soon)... with the help of skills developed during his previous vocation things improve, man enjoys his new found position, prestige etc... man develops a vision for the future (with him atop it... reluctantly, of course), and decides for the greater good a replacement must wait, as he demands more and more control....

Now if things had continued to improve and he'd claimed the prize perhaps all would have been overlooked, tolerated and forgiven... statues would have been erected in his honour... but he failed and was ousted in a second coup, and now he has to live with his bitterness and regret in exile.

Such is life.

TheOptimist
Club Player

markp wrote:
pluggerisbest wrote:
markp wrote:

Spot on.

GT's is a story as old as time... man is 'installed' during a time of great upheaval (reluctantly, of course) under the guise of restoring order and stepping aside when stability returns (very very soon)... with the help of skills developed during his previous vocation things improve, man enjoys his new found position, prestige etc... man develops a vision for the future (with him atop it... reluctantly, of course), and decides for the greater good a replacement must wait, as he demands more and more control....

Now if things had continued to improve and he'd claimed the prize perhaps all would have been overlooked, tolerated and forgiven... statues would have been erected in his honour... but he failed and was ousted in a second coup, and now he has to live with his bitterness and regret in exile.

Such is life.
Visionary man also negotiates a salary that enables him to service a $1m mortgage... call me cynical. :lol:

markp
Saintsational Legend

TheOptimist wrote:
markp wrote:
pluggerisbest wrote:
markp wrote:

Spot on.

Such is life.
Visionary man also negotiates a salary that enables him to service a $1m mortgage... call me cynical. :lol:
No story like this is complete without a bit of plundering. :wink: