RL Wants to Base Saints on Geelong

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

starsign
Club Player

RL Wants to Base Saints on Geelong

http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/ ... 42,00.html

Hearldsun April 14 5.00pm

good comments by RL and looks like no changes in the 22 for this week !

BEFORE St Kilda tries to beat Geelong this season, coach Ross Lyon wants his Saints to become them.

Lyon refers to the Cats as the AFL's "benchmark" team and is using them as an example for his players.

St Kilda made last year's preliminary finals, but there was a widespread speculation that they would falter this season.

Instead, the Saints have started with three impressive wins and now Lyon is demanding they maintain their intensity.

The Saints will start strong favourites this Saturday night at Etihad Stadium when they host winless Fremantle.

"All coaches, no doubt, want their players to perform with intensity week-in, week-out," Lyon said.

"What we've spoken about is clearly the benchmark team is Geelong and they were able to tick that box off last weekend against Collingwood, in another big game.

"Where we want to head to as a team is towards the benchmark and we've spoken about our ability to reproduce that intensity consistently and what you've got to be able to do, to do that.

"We believe it comes from preparation and preparing the mind and the body, each week the same."

Lyon also wryly noted that three weeks is a long time in football, adding that the hounds will be baying for his blood in three weeks' time should the Saints go without a win in that period.

"All I know is the best team of the last two years is undefeated, they're still the benchmark team," he said.

"Is is any coincidence that three of last year's top four are undefeated and Hawthorn have had significant injuries? I'm not sure it is a coincidence."

Lyon is looking forward to the big tests against those top-four sides, starting with the Western Bulldogs on May 3, but he is also acutely aware not to look too far ahead.

Lyon described Fremantle as a team under siege and said his players had to be wary of how that situation could galvanise the Dockers.

The Saints are unlikely to make any changes this week as they try to build on their solid start.

"We are pretty keen to promote the 22 who are delivering for us," he said.

"There are a few pushing up (through the VFL), but they will have to bang down the door if everyone (in the senior side) keeps delivering on what they need to do for the team.

"It's not really a dilemma, it's a position we've worked hard to create."

Ruckman Michael Gardiner is certainly a reason the Saints have improved with his impressive start to the season.

But Lyon has no intention to give the big man special treatment through the season, despite his history of injuries.

"I hope the lacquer bands hold him together - Michael and I had a laugh about that today," Lyon said.

"I'd rather him wear out than rust out."

Otiman
Saintsational Legend

We cannot use Hawthorn as a model, some clubs can but we cannot, as we do not have the players with attributes which that style of game relies on.

I see us as a Sydney/Geelong/GT Saints combination. And we can only hope that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

Otiman wrote:We cannot use Hawthorn as a model, some clubs can but we cannot, as we do not have the players with attributes which that style of game relies on.

I see us as a Sydney/Geelong/GT Saints combination. And we can only hope that the whole is greater than the sum of its parts.
Hawthorn are shyte and this bulls*** rolling cluster or rolling zone (call it what ever you like) is based on Ross Lyons game plan from 2007 and saints circa 2007

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

:shock: Misread it as "RL Wants to Base Saints in Geelong" :shock:

SaintDebi
Club Player

Iceman234 wrote::shock: Misread it as "RL Wants to Base Saints in Geelong" :shock:
Me too, for a minute. Mildly disappointed. I could have lived with that!!!

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:
Iceman234 wrote::shock: Misread it as "RL Wants to Base Saints in Geelong" :shock:
Me too, for a minute. Mildly disappointed. I could have lived with that!!!
:lol: Me too!!! :lol:

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

If we can play with the killer instinct & commitment that Geelong play with 99% of the time, we will go very well.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

Cairnsman wrote:
Otiman wrote:We cannot use Hawthorn as a model, some clubs can but we cannot, as we do not have the players with attributes which that style of game relies on.

Hawthorn are shyte and this bulls*** rolling cluster or rolling zone (call it what ever you like) is based on Ross Lyons game plan from 2007 and saints circa 2007
yep no question.

this balance between attack/defense is all Lyon. Its what hes wanted from day 1 no doubt - sure hes tweaked along the way GOOD COACHES CAN do that.

Duds have 1 game plan that eventually gets found out.

“Yeah….nah””
Saints Premiers 2008
Saintsational Legend

Teflon wrote:
Cairnsman wrote:

yep no question.

this balance between attack/defense is all Lyon. Its what hes wanted from day 1 no doubt - sure hes tweaked along the way GOOD COACHES CAN do that.

Duds have 1 game plan that eventually gets found out.
happily been saying this ever since the middle of 07 when it became bleeding obvious to anyone that slightly pays attention to afl that this was what lyon was intending to do

i dont believe he has tweaked anything...even in 07 when apparently all was lost...we played well we would have quick conversion form the backline either through running and getting fisher, goddard or nds to kick long to continue the trend out of the back 50...we would create space for this to happen...it would usually result in scoring opportunities due to the swiftness of this...the forward line would be clear for someone to lead into

but no apparently he changed this game plan as it was s*** halfway through 08..i forgot

"It's a work in progress," Lyon said.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Workrate

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
carnasaints55
Club Player

Call me ignorant, but I personally never thought that Hawthorn were very good. That is to say, I recognize that they are a good side, but they certainly did not deserve a premiership last year. I think their losses this year (obviously injuries play a role) are indicative of the fact that they were never as good as they were hyped up to be and that includes all of the talk about the rolling zone. Its not the one and only gameplan that beats all others. Its not that amazing... Every year the media get stuck on one thing; contested footy, flooding, the rolling zone. Now I know that these are spoken of every year obviously, but each one does get a ridiculous amount of media attention for one year and then coaches believe the hype...

roo=god
saintly
Saintsational Legend

carnasaints55 wrote:Call me ignorant, but I personally never thought that Hawthorn were very good. That is to say, I recognize that they are a good side, but they certainly did not deserve a premiership last year. I think their losses this year (obviously injuries play a role) are indicative of the fact that they were never as good as they were hyped up to be and that includes all of the talk about the rolling zone. Its not the one and only gameplan that beats all others. Its not that amazing... Every year the media get stuck on one thing; contested footy, flooding, the rolling zone. Now I know that these are spoken of every year obviously, but each one does get a ridiculous amount of media attention for one year and then coaches believe the hype...
i didn't think they they were the best team last year. but noone understood their tactics. and could not beat their tactics.
i even thought that north would beat hawthorn last week.

this year, clubs understand their tactics better. still have to control hodge, roughhead and franklin. Control those 3, and you probably can beat them.

Marcus1232
Club Player

saintly wrote:
carnasaints55 wrote: this year, clubs understand their tactics better. still have to control hodge, roughhead and franklin. Control those 3, and you probably can beat them.

completely agree. especially with hodge he is by far there most valuable player imo. They were in the game against sydney up until he got injured. once he got injured what was left of there backline had no direction no leadership and they fell in a heap

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

For gods sake dont tell B4E...!! :lol: :lol: :lol: