If we win this week and we have no injuries again.........

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Depressed
Club Player

If we win this week and we have no injuries again.........

Should we should start thinking about giving a couple of players the week off? For example, give King a rest, (rest meaning no football this weekend), and promote McEvoy. Give Baker a rest and bring in X. Clarke.

Thoughts?

cowboy18
Saintsational Legend

Perhaps a movie midweek to freshen the boys up?

Depressed
Club Player

cowboy18 wrote:Perhaps a movie midweek to freshen the boys up?
Very funny cowboy18. :roll:

Cairnsman
Saintsational Legend

There are two types of getting 'ahead'

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

Surely you're taking the p1ss

Depressed
Club Player

BringBackMadDog wrote:Surely you're taking the p1ss
I'm not taking the p1ss, I'm serious. Probably only one player a week, providing we keep winning.

eg. say we beat Freo this week. Give Kingy a week off. He has had a lot of injuries the last few years and usually breaks down after 5 or 6 games in a row. Let him have a rest, it will do him good. Then you can give McEvoy a run to keep him interested and reward him for his good form in the VFL.

What's wrong with that?

markp
Saintsational Legend

Depressed wrote:
I'm not taking the p1ss, I'm serious. Probably only one player a week, providing we keep winning.

eg. say we beat Freo this week. Give Kingy a week off. He has had a lot of injuries the last few years and usually breaks down after 5 or 6 games in a row. Let him have a rest, it will do him good. Then you can give McEvoy a run to keep him interested and reward him for his good form in the VFL.

What's wrong with that?
It's only round 4, these guys are professional athletes, flirting with form is dangerous.

Depressed
Club Player

markp wrote:
Depressed wrote:

What's wrong with that?
It's only round 4, these guys are professional athletes, flirting with form is dangerous.
How is giving Kingy 1 weekend off "flirting with form"?

HarveysDeciple

So if we lose, we keep playing our guns, but if we win we rest them?

Is winning more tireing?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

It would be rd 5 next week, they are still fresh in the season, if you want to give a player a rest you do that rd 15 onwards

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
python
Club Player

not such a crazy idea, though i wouldnt do it in the three weeks against port, dogs and pies, id be waiting till a team less skilled, with less skilled ruckman pops up to be resting them.

We need everyone in and firing for the next month, win 75% or more of the games, and were set for a good year

Depressed
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:It would be rd 5 next week, they are still fresh in the season, if you want to give a player a rest you do that rd 15 onwards
Wrong!!!! This is called rotating your players whic serves 2 purposes. It gives players a rest/freshens them up and it also builds depth. If we keep winning evey week I would rotate one player every week. After Kingy it would be Bakers turn. Provided we kept winning I would rotate all the injury prone players with players who were starring for Sandy.

saintlee
Club Player

Depressed wrote:
clarky449 wrote:It would be rd 5 next week, they are still fresh in the season, if you want to give a player a rest you do that rd 15 onwards
Wrong!!!! This is called rotating your players whic serves 2 purposes. It gives players a rest/freshens them up and it also builds depth. If we keep winning evey week I would rotate one player every week. After Kingy it would be Bakers turn. Provided we kept winning I would rotate all the injury prone players with players who were starring for Sandy.
Well I don't think RL agrees with you, he has stated many times that he values stability....I don't think we would ever rotate just for the sake of it....only injuries or bad form will cause changes I think

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Okay say we rested a few players and we lost what would you say/do?

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

I dont think a player would want to be rested just for the sake of it either

saintly
Saintsational Legend

clarky449 wrote:I dont think a player would want to be rested just for the sake of it either
look what happened to the hawthorn ruckman from round 22 last year. he gave up his place to have a rest, the other ruckman came in and stayed all the way through!

sainters man
Club Player

And they are professionals, they do this as their job. I would love to run around on the weekend and get paid well for it!

Marcus1232
Club Player

Dont fix what isnt broken

zebraman
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:I dont think a player would want to be rested just for the sake of it either
Agreed...with so many players queuing up for a spot in the senior team, I doubt if any players wants to lose his place simply for rotation...if the player coming in has a blinder do you then drop him the following week and bring back the player originally dropped?

There are bound to be injuries at some stage...although the rehab guys are obviously doing a superb job with only the one change in 4 weeks.....the injury management/rehab of players I think will really detrmine how far St Kilda can go this year..

It's a scenario I'm sure any coach would love to be in...

Depressed
Club Player

clarky449 wrote:Okay say we rested a few players and we lost what would you say/do?
Where did I say rest a few players? I said rest 1 player a week provided we keep winning. :idea:

FortiusQuoFidelius
Club Player

Take what happened to the Aussie cricket team when they started rotating players as a good exampple of what NOT to do!

These guys are professional athletes and shouldnt need a rest...

Maybe I should ask my boss for a week off with full pay because I've been working now for 15 weeks this year and surely need a break!

Stupid idea!!!

clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Depressed wrote:
clarky449 wrote:Okay say we rested a few players and we lost what would you say/do?
Where did I say rest a few players? I said rest 1 player a week provided we keep winning. :idea:
No you said 'a couple'

saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

no bloody way do we rest players for the game against Port!
the last time we won over there aginst them was 97, and i want that to chance, and it wont change if we start giving players a rest!!!
far out, as pointed up above, we all know what happened the last time the guys got a rest...they went to the movies and struggled to win a game after that.
you dont take it easy until you win the premiership.

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Buckets
SS Life Member

IMO the moment you start resting players you start flirting with form and in such a long season as this it would be detrimental to the team to start doing so when we have a run with form. The only reason you rest a player is if he is under an injury cloud or needs some time in the VFL to get his confidence up nothing more.

Thats Mr. Smartarse to you
Solar
Saintsational Legend

um no

it is flirting with form

anyone want to guess why geelong have been so damn good? because they have played together and gained confidence in each other.

FQF
loyal in the good times and bad
In richo I trust

2013 trade/draft best ever?
Billings - future brownlow medallist Longer - future best ruck
Dunstan - future captain Eli - future cult hero
Acres - future norm smith