Articles re port Game.

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintly
Saintsational Legend

Articles re port Game.

http://sportal.com.au/AFL-news-display/ ... lett-68976

Harder challenge awaits Hartlett
22/04/2009 10:58 AM
Marcus Wilson
Sportal
Related Links
Hamish Hartlett: A career is not based on one game
Port Adelaide's Hamish Hartlett completed a dream debut against Hawthorn but is expecting a more accountable challenge when the Power tackles the Saints at AAMI Stadium on Friday.

Hartlett, pick No.4 in last year's draft, collected 23 possessions against the Hawks in what coach Mark Williams described as a 'classy' and 'poised' performance.

The 18-year-old said it was 'fantastic' to have an impact in his first game but admitted he was eased into the clash by his coach.

"When I was sitting on the bench the nerves were alright but as soon as I got the call up on the ground I started to get a bit jittery," he said.

"When I ran out there I was just overwhelmed with the whole atmosphere and the crowd but a couple early touches were good."

"I was sort of playing a role where I got a lot of uncontested footy so the pace of the game didn't really hit me until that second half."

Collecting easy touches against St Kilda will be an unlikely luxury for the first-year player as the Saints have been playing a high-pressure, physical game this season.

Hartlett said this approach was sure to test him.

"The Saints play a more man-on-man style of game so everyone will have a direct opponent and so more contested footy will need to be won so I'm certainly looking forward to the challenge," he said.

"I'll be looking to back up the weekend's performance on Friday night against St Kilda. As my dad said a career is not based on one game so I'll be looking again to have the opportunity to prove my worth."

Port Adelaide will welcome back captain Dom Cassisi from suspension and are hopeful Shaun Burgoyne will also make a comeback after sitting out last week with knee soreness.

It'll make selection night difficult for the in-form Power but Hartlett is optimistic he'll be among the 22 on Friday.

"Mark (Williams) hasn't said anything directly to me yet but he usually likes to give the guys at least one or two games before he either continues with them or drops them so I'm pretty confident things will go my way this week," he said.
Last edited by saintly on Wed 22 Apr 2009 1:00pm, edited 1 time in total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

http://sportal.com.au/afl-news-display/ ... test-68969
Port to provide Saints' acid test
22/04/2009 9:33 AM
Paul Gough
Sportal
Related Links
Saints breath a sigh of relief over Kossy
His team may have made the best start to an AFL season of any club in 13 years but St Kilda coach Ross Lyon says he will get a better idea of just how much his team has improved in 2009 when the Saints face bogy team Port Adelaide at AAMI Stadium on Friday night.

Lyon says a clash with in-form Port - which has won three of its first four matches and last week beat reigning premier Hawthorn in Melbourne - was the Saints' toughest challenge yet after having seen his team beat Sydney, Adelaide (in Adelaide), West Coast and Fremantle in the first four rounds.

In doing so the unbeaten Saints have amassed a percentage of 200.4 after four rounds - the best since Adelaide had a similar percentage of 199.3 after the first four rounds of 1996.

But Lyon knows the Saints' face a tough challenge this week against a side that has beaten them in 11 of their past 13 matches as well as thrashing them in a pre-season game this year.

"We have played some strong opposition (already) but in saying that I think this is our biggest challenge," Lyon said of facing Port in Adelaide.

"They are in really good form, they beat the reigning premier and they are three (wins) and one (loss) and we really rate them."

In addition Port is expected to regain skipper Domenic Cassisi from suspension and star on-baller Shaun Burgoyne from injury while the Saints will be without star big man Justin Koschitzke.

But while Lyon is wary of Port, he is far from daunted at facing the Power on their home turf.

"Everyone talks about our (poor) interstate record but our last three games (interstate) for home and away points we have won, so we are growing in confidence and we love going away," he said.