I'll admit I may have been wrong.......

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

I'll admit I may have been wrong.......

I was quite openly was angry and concerned on this forum when the club decided not to go ahead and draft cousins to the club. After a thumping at the hands of Geelong and Hawthorn in the finals, I just couldn't see our the list making enough significant improvement to match these 2 teams. I never thought Cousins would be the answer or that he would win us a premiership. However, I felt that he could add a significant boost to our midfield with the retirement of Harvey.

Whilst I still believe that Cousins would make an 'interesting' addition to our midfield and would still be an asset, my apology is for underestimating our list. Whilst I have always known we have a large number of exceptionally talented players, they just never seemed to get it together and last year they seemed to be a iittle 'disinterested' for a large portion of the games they played in the first half of the year.

I have never had a problem with Ross and his coaching as I liked the direction he was moving the team in. My problem was that the team were resisting and were reluctant to follow him in this new direction. What a difference a pre season makes! The last 7 weeks confirms my opinion that Grant Thomas was kept in the job 2 years past his use by date. He was fantastic for those first few years and was what we needed to pull the club back together, but he hit his peak and should never have been offered the second contract. Do you agree or disagree? Would be interested in your thoughts.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Nevermind, we all sometimes have preconceived idea's and make incorrect judgements at times.

I would love to say that I have always been a RL fan, but the truth is I have been non commital and sat on the fence with this one. I kind of wish I had been willing to put out my support for him earlier....

My point, hindsight is a wonderful thing....but how great that we can all learn and bounce of one another on this forum.

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

One thing I can say is that I have always been a huge fan of Ross Lyon. He was such a breath of fresh air after Grant Thomas. Whilst I supported Thomas when he was our coach (as any loyal saint would), I was never a fan of Thomas and the way he went about things and was glad to see him go.

SaintDebi
Club Player

ohwhenthesaints! wrote:Nevermind, we all sometimes have preconceived idea's and make incorrect judgements at times.

I would love to say that I have always been a RL fan, but the truth is I have been non commital and sat on the fence with this one. I kind of wish I had been willing to put out my support for him earlier....

My point, hindsight is a wonderful thing....but how great that we can all learn and bounce of one another on this forum.
It has taken me a long time to warm to Ross too. But as you say, hindsight is a wonderful thing and had I known where he might take us I think I would have been a fan much sooner.

bungiton
SS Life Member

In actual fact, Ross Lyon deserves credit here, instead of drafting cousins, he challenged our midfield to be cousins.

I think they've all surpassed his objective.

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
widereceiver
Club Player

Good point bungiton!

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
bigred
Saintsational Legend

I will admit that I am surprised.

I dont really think I was wrong though.

A few things I was wrong about:

Farren Ray. I'll admit I called him a "Poor Man's Fiora". So, so so wrong.
Zach Dawson. I called him a "Poor Man's Tim Elliot" :P He has bee great.
Greg Westaway. He is getting wraps from people who know what they are talking about.

I thought we would be "there abouts" again. Playing finals etc...

I most certainly did not think that we would come out and start playing this absolutely brilliant style of football. Seriously, this is THE best style, effort, intent, and application I have seen from this club in my lifetime. And I absolutely love watching them play it.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Superboot
SS Hall of Fame

bungiton wrote:In actual fact, Ross Lyon deserves credit here, instead of drafting cousins, he challenged our midfield to be cousins.

I think they've all surpassed his objective.
Excellent point.

The improvement in Joey in particular is extraordinary, and Dal is getting close to his potential. But it has to be said that the likes of Ray, Geary, Jones, and Mini are pulling so much weight it's allowing the elite midfielders to become very high impact players.

roxanne
Club Player

This is such a great post.
I was also underwhelmed by picking up Farren Ray - thought he was a
front running dud. I am so humbled but how wrong I was. Go Hoo-Ray!
Thought Clinton Jones had one season in him - not because of effort but because he couldn't kick for nuts. Wrong. Wrong.
I really liked Grant Thomas, thought he did a great job agains the odds (massive injuries, interstate finals) and still do.
But I did like Lyon best from the coaches on offer and was glad when we picked him - so got that right at least.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Selhurst Saint
Club Player

As my cousin text me during the game last night.........."We have never been as good as we are right now".

Kudos to Ross, his support team, and the players execution.

"...If there has been one recurring theme through this whole shocking mess, it has been the misguided, inflated egos and their ill-judged determination to cling to long-standing old boy friendships. The bad advice that has guided the selfish and culpable James Hird has not only punctuated this saga but symbolised it..."
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

Definitely agree. Except I'm not convinced yet we made the right choice with Cousins. He's playing well enough with the game time he's had in a bottom team of garbage to suggest in this team playing at the skill level we are he could be carving up.

Who knows different circumstances with our fitness management he may not have even tore his hammy either.

plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:I'm not convinced yet we made the right choice with Cousins. He's playing well enough with the game time he's had in a bottom team of garbage to suggest in this team playing at the skill level we are he could be carving up.

Who knows different circumstances with our fitness management he may not have even tore his hammy either.
He may have broken a leg. We made the right decision for one reason alone. We have won every game and you cannot do better than that.

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:He may have broken a leg. We made the right decision for one reason alone. We have won every game and you cannot do better than that.
that argument makes no sense.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bergholt wrote:
plugger66 wrote:He may have broken a leg. We made the right decision for one reason alone. We have won every game and you cannot do better than that.
that argument makes no sense.
Exactly what I thought . You can always do better and we still may need to to win the flag we're not there yet.

As happy as I am now I wouldn't knock back any opportunity to be even stronger.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

I don't think drafting or the non-drafting of Cousins would have affected our fortunes one iota.

Why? Because the building blocks for this season go way, way deeper than pre-season draft day. It's naive to think that we've gone on a 7-0 run on the strength of that decision.

It might have provided a temporary spur, just as playing in someone's 200th game might do. But I sincerely doubt it would have had any long-lasting ramifications. If anything, he would have been another midfielder to add to our collection. Who knows, perhaps he'd be pushing up daisies in the reserves right now?

At the time, I was all for Cousins and have absolutely no regrets about that. I don't think one skerrick of Richmond's poor form is due to him.

I shudder to think that players could be so mentally weak that they would fluctuate their fortunes based on one player.

I would have looked at Cousins like Leigh Matthews looked at Martin Pyke - basically viewed as damaged goods by others, but capable of doing a job for us on the cheap. And let's not forget, if Cousins was a part of this 7-0 team, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

In the wash up, look, if it's been the catalyst for our upturn in form, then you seriously have to wonder how long it will last for. However, in saying that, I didn't predict the steps that our midfield would take. Nobody could have. Not even Ross Lyon, which is probably why we were in the running for Cousins for as long as we have been.

Would I take him right now, if I had the option? Sure. I'd have him in the twos - along with Max, Matt, Armitage, L Fisher, Raph and everyone else who hasn't been able to crack our 22 right now.

He'd be a nice addition, rather than an essential part. That's a testament to the improvement by our playing list.

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

Winmar7Fan
Club Player

evertonfc wrote:I don't think drafting or the non-drafting of Cousins would have affected our fortunes one iota.

Why? Because the building blocks for this season go way, way deeper than pre-season draft day. It's naive to think that we went from ninth spot going into to R21 last year to 7-0 on the strength of that decision.

It might have provided a temporary spur, just as playing in someone's 200th game might do. But I sincerely doubt it would have had any long-lasting ramifications. If anything, he would have been another midfielder to add to our collection. Who knows, perhaps he'd be pushing up daisies in the 2s right now?

At the time, I was all for Cousins and have absolutely no regrets about that. I don't think one skerrick of Richmond's poor form is due to him.

I shudder to think that players could be so mentally weak that they would fluctuate their fortunes based on one player.

I would have looked at Cousins like Leigh Matthews looked at Martin Pyke - basically viewed as damaged goods by others, but good his job with us. And let's not forget, if Cousins was a part of this 7-0 team, I don't think anyone would be complaining.

In the wash up, look, if it's been the catalyst for our upturn in form, then you seriously have to wonder how long it will last for. However, in saying that, I didn't predict the steps that our midfield would take. Nobody could have. Not even Ross Lyon, which is probably why we were in the running for as long as we have been.

Would I take him right now, if I had the option? Sure. I'd have him in the twos - along with Max, Matt, Armitage, L Fisher, Raph and everyone else who hasn't been able to crack our 22 right now.
I don't want to start an eruption of the Cousins thing because we are doing well enough that it doesn't matter but somehow I don't think he'd be in the twos.

Our bellies might be nice and full with contentment at the moment but I'm under no dissolution about how far away we are. Things could easily do a 180 turn around. By round 16 we could have eight top players out while a player like Cousins could be fit running around averaging 25 disposals.

evertonfc
Saintsational Legend

Winmar7Fan wrote:I don't want to start an eruption of the Cousins thing because we are doing well enough that it doesn't matter but somehow I don't think he'd be in the twos.

Our bellies might be nice and full with contentment at the moment but I'm under no disolusion about how far away we are. By round 16 we could have eight top players out while a player like Cousins could be fit running around averaging 25 disposals.
In all honesty, it's just an example that we could live without him even if we had him.

However, I suspect he'd be in the 1s, and putting his head over the ball every much as Luke Ball, running every bit as hard as Lenny Hayes and trying to prove himself as much as Ray, Dal Santo and Geary...

(Remember, our medical staff - thank you Dave Misson - would have him on track ;) He'd probably be at full fitness by now.)

I guess for me the bonus in having him would not be that we'd be playing better for certain now, but remember, the season is a long one. What happens - god forbid - if Lenny re-did he knee? Or Dal broke his leg? BC would have made a great September back-up.

However, he's not here, and thank christ we're playing well, or this joint would have gone into meltdown 8-)

Clueless and mediocre petty tyrant.

bungiton
SS Life Member

In all honesty if he had come to us and done his Hammy round one, the club would have been burnt down. You don't win premierships by adding good 31 year olds. You play kids, look at the form of Jones, Mini Gwilt and young Geary. Which of these kids would be loitering in the two's instead of gining valuable, confidence, composure and experience in the first 22?

I'm sorry, you've gone through all the trouble to find out what this actually says and it really is quite insignificant.
markp
Saintsational Legend

Would've sold a few memberships too.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

Who gives a flog about Ben Cousins?

Last I saw he was struggling to make it on the park for a side that has won a single game this year.

I am glad we did not take him. Obviously we dont need a thirty one year old past champion to come into this side.

Sure it may have been tempting.

Pffft....Why is this even an issue now?

Seriously, let him run out his career with a second rate club....for the money.

Let our guys focus on winning a flag ffs.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
roxanne
Club Player

I think the incredible amount of media hype that surrounded the recruitment of Ben Cousins would have derailed us....at least in the beginning. CAn you remember what it was like?
Too much attention on the Saints, an overhyped first round game..just like Richmond suffered. He's a great player and would have contributed but I think the coach was right - the mid field is better off striving to play like him than they would have been having him there.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
Winmar7Fan
Club Player

bungiton wrote:In all honesty if he had come to us and done his Hammy round one, the club would have been burnt down. You don't win premierships by adding good 31 year olds. You play kids, look at the form of Jones, Mini Gwilt and young Geary. Which of these kids would be loitering in the two's instead of gining valuable, confidence, composure and experience in the first 22?
I'm sure any team of good talented young kids would have no harm done to them to have a 31 year old Brownlow Medalist that's won 4 Best and Fairests and Captained a Club that was arguably the best in the comp for leadership and confidence.

A player like him can contribute a lot more than just his own stats on the ground and if we want to say he's not worth it let's take a look at his old partner in crime Michael Gardiner.

Anyway it doesn't matter now and we'll never know I'm just saying I think a bit different to a lot of cocky people on here who wouldn't even be interested in giving Superman a guernsey because of the way we're traveling at the moment.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

'm just saying I think a bit different to a lot of cocky people on here who wouldn't even be interested in giving Superman a guernsey because of the way we're traveling at the moment
I reckon he could hold down a forward flank....

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Winmar7Fan"]
A player like him can contribute a lot more than just his own stats on the ground and if we want to say he's not worth it let's take a look at his old partner in crime Michael Gardiner.[/quote]

Gardiner never convicted, not even prosecuted.
Simply a good guy with bad friends.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
claystreet
Club Player

saint75 wrote:One thing I can say is that I have always been a huge fan of Ross Lyon. He was such a breath of fresh air after Grant Thomas. Whilst I supported Thomas when he was our coach (as any loyal saint would), I was never a fan of Thomas and the way he went about things and was glad to see him go.
+1