Possible Changes v Essendon

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Griggsy
SS Life Member

awesome_days wrote:In: Maguire, R Clarke

I would like to see our team something like below around rd 13 - this is contingient on those reurning proving their worth more than the current contributions of the incumbents:

B: Hughton Dawson Gilbert
HB: SFisher Maguire R Clarke
C: Montagna Ball Dal Santo
HF: McQualter Riewoldt Goddard
F: Milne Koschitzke Schneider
R: Gardiner Hayes Jones

Int: Baker King Blake Ray

Emg: McEvoy Eddy Gwilt
No spot for Gram? Thats a little harsh, he hasnt played that bad.

I'd put him ahead of mini

rexy
SS Life Member

In Maguire
Out Blake

Maybe this year?
Beej
Saintsational Legend

I like McEvoy. He's like Michael Rix with ability.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

What's with the love affair with Goose and hatred of Blake?

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
rexy
SS Life Member

Bernard Shakey wrote:What's with the love affair with Goose and hatred of Blake?
I dont have a hatred of anyone, Blake is a very good footballer.

I dont have a love affair with Goose, who is also a very good footballer.

It is my understanding that Blake finished Monday nights game with some discomfort in his knee. We also have a short break, a short injury list and no need to take any risks with players not 100%.

I think Blake will be given a week off and Goose will get a run.

Maybe this year?
Longwayfromhome
Club Player

Blake is a gun and would be in the first dozen players picked each week. Anyone knocking on the door may have to wait.
Don't you just love it !

Leave your ego's in the locker when you start and pick them up again when you retire
awesome_days
Club Player

Geary was definately #26 on my list. The 3 emergencies I named plus Geary are impressive at the moment - but I beleive that they still represent 19 - 22 on the teamsheet in terms of a combnation of importance and proven consistiency.

The 4 "ins" in Hughton, R Clarke, Maguire and King are greatly experienced, finals performers - Maguire is the only one with a ? as to his actual potential playing AFL (and not smashing it in VFL) this season.

I have been really impresed with the way he (JG) is going about it this year.

He really seemed to be finding his way to dangerous positions in the first 4 rounds this year - but despite his career high last week as ledgandary stated - he wasnt as incisive.

I just question how long he can sustain these level of games - and for that point only I can see him becoming the fringe player later on this year.

I think Geary will be a 15 - 18 game player this year (at rd 22). If he is in our finals team it means he will be playing better than he currently is, which will only be a positive for the team.

He is showing signs that he could replace Lenny Hayes as a significant all-round midfielder.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

rexy wrote:
Bernard Shakey wrote:What's with the love affair with Goose and hatred of Blake?
I dont have a hatred of anyone, Blake is a very good footballer.

I dont have a love affair with Goose, who is also a very good footballer.

It is my understanding that Blake finished Monday nights game with some discomfort in his knee. We also have a short break, a short injury list and no need to take any risks with players not 100%.

I think Blake will be given a week off and Goose will get a run.
Sorry rexy, I wasn't having a go at you, The Goose for Blake scenario comes up each week and I haven't seen any reason for Blake to be dropped this year.
Goose is doing ok at Sandy, but from the 4 Sandy games I've seen this year, he is close, but not ready for the big league.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
awesome_days
Club Player

Griggsy wrote:No spot for Gram? Thats a little harsh, he hasnt played that bad.

Didn't realise I missed him - envy the job of the selectors - too many god headaches.

Surprised you are the first to pick it up such a glaring mistake.

He is a definite in - he would be a top 50 player in the AFL with slightly better kicking accuracy - probably equal to importance to Monty and Dal if he reached their kicking levels.

Don't want to drop anyone else. Geary, Gwilt, Eddy - everyone has played their role.

Griggsy
SS Life Member

awesome_days wrote:
Griggsy wrote:No spot for Gram? Thats a little harsh, he hasnt played that bad.

Didn't realise I missed him - envy the job of the selectors - too many god headaches.

Surprised you are the first to pick it up such a glaring mistake.

He is a definite in - he would be a top 50 player in the AFL with slightly better kicking accuracy - probably equal to importance to Monty and Dal if he reached their kicking levels.

Don't want to drop anyone else. Geary, Gwilt, Eddy - everyone has played their role.
Thought it must of been a mistake. Think they said during the game he is 1st in the league for kicks going inside 50. If he did did kick straight for those shots from outside he would be incredibly damaging. :)

stinger
Saintsational Legend

OLB wrote:I like McEvoy. He's like Michael Rix with ability.

:wink: :wink: :wink: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: .........nah...he's better looking...... :wink: :lol:

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="Eastern"][quote="bigcarl"][quote="Eastern"]both Eddy & Raph missed last week (?emergencies). I'd like to think that they will BOTH play somewhere this week !![/quote]

interesting one, isn't it.

on the one hand it makes a nonsense of having match fit and hardened players to come in the following week and these guys are getting stale in the stands.

on the other, what if an emergency is genuinely needed?[/quote]

It wouldn't surprise me if there was something about this written into the alignment contract !![/quote]

Just another way Demetriou is trying to crucify St Kilda.
If a team plays Friday night it guarantees that all the emergencies are available for the VFL on Saturday or Sunday.
By making St Kilda play on Sundays and Mondays Demetriou, forces St Kilda to hold players back from the VFL in case they are needed at the last minute.
That undermines the fitness and match readiness of St Kilda's emergencies for the next week.
St Kilda must then drop the held back emergency the next week like Miles got dropped last weekend.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I would rather see King take a little more time given his age, we need to take care that we have our ruck combo firing the latter half of the season. Even if he is still a little underdone when we take on Brisbane, it wouldn't be the worse thing in the world if we let him rest and get some more game time into Ben...

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Whats the point of these threads.....We are afraid of dropping players since we have been winning.

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

No change.

Emgs: Armitage, Eddy, Steven

Give Raph and Maguire a chance to continue playing in the VFL, if we really need an emg those three can do nicely.

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
Unforgiven
SS Life Member

No change

A few people calling for Gwilts head, but that is unwarranted I beleive. Watched the game again a few times and he did some solid things. Could be up for a good game against an undermanned essendon defence.

Carpe Diem
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

King has been given another week off.

No Change.

If there was change...maybe someone who is quick? Miles?

But with an 88 demolition of the Pies...it is hard to see any change.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:King has been given another week off.

No Change.

Do we know this for sure?

saintly
Saintsational Legend

awesome_days wrote:In: Maguire, R Clarke
Out: McEvoy, Geary

Gardiner good enough now for 75 - 80% ruck time. Blake can releive with Maguire playing a swing-man.

Give King a couple VFL games (last time it got him 2x premierships).

R Clarke is a best 18 player and one of our back 6 for finals. He has done his dues in the VFL. Geary has fallen back a little from his early games. Appears to lack a little freshness that can be associated with players in their first seasons of AFL. His decision making has dropped and he is not burtsing through like in the early rounds.

I would like to see our team something like below around rd 13 - this is contingient on those reurning proving their worth more than the current contributions of the incumbents:

B: Hughton Dawson Gilbert
HB: SFisher Maguire R Clarke
C: Montagna Ball Dal Santo
HF: McQualter Riewoldt Goddard
F: Milne Koschitzke Schneider
R: Gardiner Hayes Jones

Int: Baker King Blake Ray

Emg: McEvoy Eddy Gwilt
why take 2 backman out?

you proably will eventually change Zac for Hudgeton.

McEvoy needs game time. Saints play better with 2 proper ruckmen. having Kois or blake play as ruck ineterfers with the structure. thne all shots going inside 50 goes straight to Roo. it does not work well like that. Especially if there are 3 against roo.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:If there was change...maybe someone who is quick? Miles?
if we do decide to go for more run (which i'm not totally against), i hope it is a solution that doesn't involve stripping us to just the one effective key forward.

as for miles, wouldn't raph be ahead of him? or has he slipped behind both eddy and miles?
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 14 May 2009 10:11am, edited 1 time in total.

saintly
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:King has been given another week off.

No Change.

Do we know this for sure?
it was mentionedin The australian that ross was happy with McEvoy and Gardiner, it seems that King will be still out this week.

perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:No Change for me...

Give King another week off and let McEvoy get accustomed to the pace of the AFL.
Agree.

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

perfectionist wrote:
St Fidelius wrote:No Change for me...

Give King another week off and let McEvoy get accustomed to the pace of the AFL.
Agree.
Thought you'd want Max straight back into the side??? 8-)

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
bergholt
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Just another way Demetriou is trying to crucify St Kilda.
If a team plays Friday night it guarantees that all the emergencies are available for the VFL on Saturday or Sunday.
By making St Kilda play on Sundays and Mondays Demetriou, forces St Kilda to hold players back from the VFL in case they are needed at the last minute.
this is complete and utter crap. demetriou is trying to crucify st kilda? personally? why? what evidence do you have to support that?

degruch
Saintsational Legend

Animal Enclosure wrote:Personally I can't see us going in with one ruckman... the structure was beautiful with Kosi able to stay deep forward.

Im constantly stunned that Geary is mentioned as a possible out. The kid is going very well & developing nicely.

Let the guys knocking on the door keep knocking until we really need them. There are bound to be opportunities eventually but dropping guys for the sake of bringing blokes in is foolhardy.

No change.
You're bang on there Animal. Big Mac will stay in, as putting him in with Gardiner against Ryder and Bellchambers will be the perfect opportunity to give him some AFL time.

Geary's going great - or are there two Geary's in the team?

I'll go out on a limb and say there is absolutely positively 100% no chance of Macguire getting a game this week against such a speedy Essendon unit with their tail up. I doubt anyone would want our current backline disrupted.

Raph or Eddy may be nice inclusions, but for who? Gwilt's a favourite whipping boy (as was Raph last year), but anyone can tell he's playing well, so why turf him out?

No change.