"Hudghton back, Maguire forward"

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

sainter2631
Club Player

"Hudghton back, Maguire forward"

ST KILDA defender Max Hudghton will make his long awaited return to football for Sandringham in the VFL this weekend, while Matt Maguire could be brought back to the Saints side as a forward.

.....continued at http://www.saints.com.au/season2009/new ... fault.aspx

**Edited by mod to send traffic to Saints.com.au**

B W and R all over
SS Hall of Fame

25 minutes to make a name for yourself like you've never made before.
saintly
Saintsational Legend

gee i'm really beginning to enjoy the way ross talks !!!

Statsman
Club Player

I'm intrigued by the idea of Goose playing as a forward. I'd like to see him as the 3rd marking forward in much the same style as Hamill. He can certainly take a grab, even in a pack situation. He's got a booming kick, so if he can kick for goal like a forward not a defender he could be handy scoring option. To top it all off, he's a naturally aggressive footballer which fits perfectly with our new "hunt in packs" forward pressure game style. I'd love to see Maguire hunting defenders down and dumping them to the ground in bone crushing tackles. It's certainly worth experimenting with at VFL level to see whether he can adapt to life as a forward.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

statsman ... my thoughts exactly ... how come i always agree with you

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:I'm intrigued by the idea of Goose playing as a forward. I'd like to see him as the 3rd marking forward in much the same style as Hamill. He can certainly take a grab, even in a pack situation. He's got a booming kick, so if he can kick for goal like a forward not a defender he could be handy scoring option. To top it all off, he's a naturally aggressive footballer which fits perfectly with our new "hunt in packs" forward pressure game style. I'd love to see Maguire hunting defenders down and dumping them to the ground in bone crushing tackles. It's certainly worth experimenting with at VFL level to see whether he can adapt to life as a forward.
it is worth exploring.

the question is whether riewoldt, kosi and goose ... all strong aerialists ... can play in the same forward line without making us top heavy and vulnerable when it hits the ground.

as i said in another thread, on the one hand it presumably would give us aerial dominance ... on the other hand the ball might come out pretty quickly.

so there is an element of risk involved but there would also be an element of shock and awe.

i think the more likely scenario is that we would try it when kosi was playing second ruck/resting forward with goose chf and riewoldt ff.

but who knows?

BackFromUSA
Saintsational Legend

i see maguire playing gwilt's role

AwayInUSA no longer ... have based myself back in Melbourne for a decade of Saintsational Success (with regular trips back to the USA)

"Saintsational Player Sponsor 2007 - 2018"
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

BackFromUSA wrote:i see maguire playing gwilt's role
goose is a key position player, though, similar to kosi in that he's strong in the body and very strong aerially.

gwilt is more of a flanker/winger and probably better below the knees.

if it were me, i'd probably be prepared to give it a shot ... but there is a risk involved.
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 14 May 2009 10:43pm, edited 2 times in total.

Statsman
Club Player

bigcarl wrote:the question is whether riewoldt, kosi and goose ... all strong aerialists ... can play in the same forward line without making us top heavy and vulnerable when it hits the ground.

as i said in another thread, on the one hand it presumably would give us aerial dominance ... on the other hand the ball might come out pretty quickly.
You would have to balance Roo, Kosi and Goose in the air with Milne, Schneider and McQualter at ground level.

When Hamill was playing we used to play Gehrig deep, Riewoldt pushing right up to the wings and Hamill roaming across true half forward. However these days Kosi and Roo both stay much deeper. Riewoldt doesn't lead up outside the 50m arc as far or as often has he used to. With Kosi and Roo spending more time inside the 50m arc, I also wonder whether there is room for a 3rd marking forward like Goose. We might be better off with a 3rd marking option who is more of a "tweener" like Gilbert/Gwilt/Clarke rather than a player like Goose who's more the true KPP body type.

"Ask not what your teammates can do for you. Ask what you can do for your teammates." - Earvin 'Magic' Johnson
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Statsman wrote:we might be better off with a 3rd marking option who is more of a "tweener" like Gilbert/Gwilt/Clarke rather than a player like Goose who's more the true KPP body type.
this is what i'm getting at, though it is a tempting thought and idea.

ace
Saintsational Legend

[quote="bigcarl"][quote="BackFromUSA"]i see maguire playing gwilt's role[/quote]

goose is a key position player, though, similar to kosi in that he's [b]very[/b] strong aerially.

gwilt is more of a flanker/winger and probably better below the knees.

if it were me, i'd probably be prepared to give it a shot ... but there is a risk involved.[/quote]

Maxwell was prepared to leave Gwilt and help out against Riewoldt.
Gwilt was not treated as a serious threat because Collingwood knew St Kilda would not kick it to him but would go to Riewoldt.

Gwilt would do a better job than Maguire in locking the ball in the forward line.
Maguire is such a strong and reliable mark that opponents would be committing suicide to leave Maguire to go to Riewoldt.
Maguire could prevent Riewoldt being double teamed and provide and alternate one on one target.
Maguire versus third tall defender in a marking contest - no contest.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

ace wrote:Maxwell was prepared to leave Gwilt and help out against Riewoldt.
Gwilt was not treated as a serious threat because Collingwood knew St Kilda would not kick it to him but would go to Riewoldt.

Gwilt would do a better job than Maguire in locking the ball in the forward line.
Maguire is such a strong and reliable mark that opponents would be committing suicide to leave Maguire to go to Riewoldt.
Maguire could prevent Riewoldt being double teamed and provide and alternate one on one target.
Maguire versus third tall defender in a marking contest - no contest.
yes, like i said there are possible benefits and possible drawbacks.

if it were me i'd be prepared to give it a shot ... but i'm not the one who has to take the responsibility if it doesn't work.

btw, i wish you'd learn to do those quotes properly. it makes your posts very difficult to read. (no offense meant)
Last edited by bigcarl on Thu 14 May 2009 10:58pm, edited 3 times in total.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

As difficult as it must be to make our selections, I love that there is some quality names knocking on the door. Think about what this does for our side, if we weren't hungry enough already...

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

What we have improved out of sight this year is fwd defensive prressure.

My only concern is having Roo, Kosi and Maguire in a fwd line as 3 talls....and, no Ive not seen him lately, BUT prior to doing his leg Maguires ability to change direction/twist/turn was questioned by the former coach so Im not sure what that does to our fwd line defensive pressure stocks...still I guess its worth a look at for Maguire.

“Yeah….nah””
thirty-seven!?
Club Player

Watching the Sandy match on Saturday, Goose really impressed me with his forward pressure, and how athletic he really looked (its been so long you almost forget!!)

But can anyone remind me how he plays below his knees?

vacuous space
SS Life Member

thirty-seven!? wrote:But can anyone remind me how he plays below his knees?
It's so long since he played a significant amount of football that it's hard to remember. His groundball stats from prior to his injury weren't bad. They weren't great either. Those were in defence though, and it's arguably harder to get a groundball in attacking 50 with the weight of numbers (usually) against you. You'd expect Goose to be more of a marking target up forward.

If he keeps playing the way he did on the weekend, he'll get a shot. If he buys into the system and he has the fitness base, he might make it as a forward. I'm not as worried about his mobility as some. Ross seems okay with playing our rucks up front. If we can do that without compromising our team defence, then surely Maguire can play as a third tall. The question is, can he play it consistently at AFL level for four quarters.

Yeah nah pleasing positive