Save the Footy Buskers!!!

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footybuskers

Save the Footy Buskers!!!

The Footy Buskers need your help!!
Etihad Stadium, Melbourne City Council and the Police are trying to move us on!

The most pressure is coming from Etihad Stadium management who are complaining to the council and police that we are causing a 'potential' public safety risk by standing where we stand.

We have been doing this for many years now and have never harmed anyone in anyway, we have never been sued for injury or been involved in any altercations arising from our presence on the footbridge (save a couple of sore losers!), and maintain that due to our sound, height and public awareness we pose as much of a 'potential' public safety risk as, well, as you, the general public, or the record sellers, or the tin-rattlers, or Robert the classical gas guitarist, or the donut van, or a cyclist, or someone text messaging while walking, or the line at the merchandise tents, or the raffle ticket sellers, or the sportsbet girls (although they're sorta ok), or the Nando's chicken or a group of small children or an elderly couple or some guy in a wheelchair, none of which I might add have been asked to move or been threatened with a $1500 fine even though they have a permit to be there!!!!!!

As I'm sure you are aware this is not the first time that we have had problems but, like Andrew Symonds, this may be the last straw. We have had meetings with the council and they have had meetings with Etihad and the Police and, to be honest, we feel like we are being harrassed, bullied and victimised for no good reason!
We only have one ally, the fans, the public, and all we want to do is play the footy songs and make people smile, please......

Log on to savethebuskers.com and follow the link to send an
email to the council telling them, rather, asking them nicely to allow us to stay.

(if it doesn't go through straight away please keep trying, it will be up and running shortly, last minute thing)

We will be at the game tommorrow, of course, in our full Saints gear and after the game, well, there may be trouble, we'll have to wait and see but we do want to say that the Saints fans are the best fans in the AFL and we say that because we experience all the fans from all the teams not just because we go for the Saints, yeah, we play all the games/teams but we only 'support' the Saints!!

Please, instead of dropping a few coins in the case, send a message to the council and keep us playing!! If you can/want to spread this around then please do, we need all the help we can get!!

See you at the Footy,

Dave & Anthony

The Footy Buskers

www.savethebuskers.com

P.S: Mention this post and get a free CD, anytime!!

stinger
Saintsational Legend

you got my support mate

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
The Saintsational Man
Club Player

Could this post spark the return of "Riccardo".....

:wink:

I hope it all works out for you blokes, I think it adds to the atmosphere after the game listening too you guys....

saint66au
Saintsational Legend

Got my support boys..as always!!!!

THE BUBBLE HAS BURST

2011 player sponsor
saintly_safes
Club Player

I like buskers & I dont want to put you blokes in the same class as me but if I was playing my six string & belting out a few tunes I couldnt blame the establishment for trying to move me on :wink: But keep the faith no matter how good or how bad you are it takes courage & effort & in this day & age I think we should applaud that :idea:

Seaford_Saint
Club Player

you got my support mate
TICK!!!

Failure cannot succeed in the face of persistence......
clarky449
Saintsational Legend

Got my support as well, love in finals time, you get the drums out, brilliant ;)

Follow me for my expert opinions on Twitter @DanielClark93
St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

The Saintsational Man wrote:Could this post spark the return of "Riccardo".....

:wink:

I hope it all works out for you blokes, I think it adds to the atmosphere after the game listening too you guys....
God I hope not...

From memory Riccardo considered buskers SCUM and akin to beggers..

You have my support, I love the CD by the way...

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
esaint66
SS Life Member

I love you blokes, even after a loss i still remind myself to chuck a couple of bucks in your case. Love the tunes on the bridge after a great saints win :D :D :D

vacuous space
SS Life Member

I haven't tripped over the footy buskers all that many times. They're not exactly hard to spot. It makes me really wonder about the 'public safety' angle. I wonder myself whether Collo doesn't just have a problem with anything he can't make a quick buck out of.

I think the buskers are a particularly talented pair (and, dare I say, I think they've got even better with time). It really adds to the atmosphere of the footy. It'll be a pity if they have to stop doing something they enjoy for really questionable reasons.

I can't get the link to work now, but I'll try again in the morning.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

You guys need to get on SEN/3AW and ramp up the noise level about this. Its just the sort of injustice they may choose to get behind.

aussierules0k
Saintsational Legend

Last edited by aussierules0k on Tue 23 Jun 2009 1:30am, edited 1 time in total.

5 prelims in 7 years. 40 wins from 49 games.
2009 and 2010 were 2 of the 5 best years ever by the St.Kilda FC.
Thanks for all your efforts Saints.
Pwoit
Saintsational Legend

I love seeing the guys playing each week .... its even funny when they play the sad slow version if we lose (dare i say it).

Love to see the guys bring in the full band as they did one day god that sounded awsome. Nothing better than live music.

Go boys stick it up em!!

St Michele
Club Player

This is wrong, although I am in Perth busking is what gives cities personality.
I hope you win your fight and I get to see you play in a few weeks.

Michele

Dan Warna
Saintsational Legend

can you play on the station property?

Bewaire krime, da krimson bolt is comeing to yure nayborhood to smach krime

SHUT UP KRIME!
benengel14
Club Player

Website isn't loading, will check again later. Always enjoy your work (win/lose/draw)
Sounds like yet another mindless anti-supporter policy initiative released by those down at Etihad (passouts? commercially prepared food? anyone?)

Robert the classical gas guitarist - I don't think life would be the same without him. Wouldn't have guessed his name of Robert.

Don't forget the blonde bagpipe girl that seems to add to the whole footy experience that is the spencer street footbridge.

Moorabbin Saints
Club Player

As someone said before, make sure you get onto SEN and 3AW about this issue, tell fans how to complain and you'll get full backing by most of them. Set up a petition possibly?

mad saint guy
Saintsational Legend

Where is classical gas man these days? Admittedly, I can't get to many games but I haven't seen him for a couple of years.
Last edited by mad saint guy on Sat 06 Jun 2009 1:11am, edited 1 time in total.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

mad saint guy wrote:Where is classical gas man these days? Admittedly, I can't get to many games but I have seen him for a couple of years.
he's still there. to my amazement he has other tunes than "classical gas" and was playing one last time i passed him.

widereceiver
Club Player

ditto to the support guys, good luck in the nanny state where you guys are endangering the public but the premier can make sweetheart deals with the gambling moguls and the goddamn trains are a disgrace.

"Winning's not everything, it's the ONLY thing!" Vince Lombardi.
Sam Gilbert #1 booster - always on the attack!!!
Win more for Winmar
SaintDebi
Club Player

Good luck guys. No luck with the link yet, but will try it again.
If the powers that be are really concerned about public safety, maybe their time would be better spent leaving you guys alone and worry about all the footballs being kicked around the concourse where all the "no footballs to be kicked on the concourse" signs are. Not that I want to stop anyone having a bit of a kick around for fun, but surely they present more danger to the public than the buskers who are not all that hard to see.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

classical gas

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

SaintDebi wrote:Good luck guys. No luck with the link yet, but will try it again.
If the powers that be are really concerned about public safety, maybe their time would be better spent leaving you guys alone and worry about all the footballs being kicked around the concourse where all the "no footballs to be kicked on the concourse" signs are. Not that I want to stop anyone having a bit of a kick around for fun, but surely they present more danger to the public than the buskers who are not all that hard to see.
absolutely spot on!

and Riccardo, if you are reading this....

They are not "beggars"

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Ghost Like
Saintsational Legend

Dan Warna wrote:can you play on the station property?
Nup, not allowed Dan.

All the best guys, you're great to see and hear after a match.

avid
Club Player

You obviously present a severe hazard to the deaf, blind and DUMB.