IF we don't make the Granny this year....

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

saintspremiers
Saintsational Legend

IF we don't make the Granny this year....

Will you go off your nut?

Will rogerfox explode the forum?!

Seriously, no other team that has won their first 12 (how many have done it???) has missed playing in the Grand Final.

Surely we won't miss playing in the big one?

I can't see us missing out.

Is everyone else as confident as I?

(now as for winning the flag, that's for another post!)

reincarnated

As a supporter very confident and not reaching it this year will mean we have underachieved as here is no real reason at this stage why we shouldn't be there

However every year with this list of players and not winning it equals a failure

markp
Saintsational Legend

So far so good.... but injuries or a disastrous prelim could always rob us.

The Fireman
Saintsational Legend

My dog will be in for it.

AnythingsPossibleSaints
SS Life Member

It's not wise to go there. It's better to make missing the GF (or not winning it) not an option. We just need to commit to winning it and then find the best way to do so. That's how you get things done.
In golf, "hackers" focus on the lake/trouble and inveriably hit it in there, whereas the "pros" focus on the green and inveriably hit it. There's something to be learned from that.

YOU GET WHAT YOU SETTLE FOR.
saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Re: IF we don't make the Granny this year....

saintspremiers wrote:

Surely we won't miss playing in the big one?
Who knows... so far so good.

Cats and Dogs will both be tough in the Finals. Dogs almost got into the GF last year and this year are a better team.

Hawks are currently out of form...but who knos what will happen from here.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
Quixote
SS Life Member

The Fireman wrote:My dog will be in for it.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
saintdooley
Saintsational Legend

all this stuff about winning 12 in a row no team has miss out etc.. its all rubbish
the only win that gets you into the GF is the preliminary final win. its anyones game! bulldogs, carlton, lions, hawks, essendon....they are all a chance!

"Another storied win in Robert Harvey's career. They say he is the embodiment of their motto of strength through loyalty, and on the day he became just the tenth man to play 350 league games the saints reward him with a seemingly impossible victory."
Moccha
Saintsational Legend

We'll be the first team in history to have won the first 12 and then miss out on the GF

Another opportunity awaits!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:all this stuff about winning 12 in a row no team has miss out etc.. its all rubbish
the only win that gets you into the GF is the preliminary final win. its anyones game! bulldogs, carlton, lions, hawks, essendon....they are all a chance!
Agree completely. How many teams have won their first 10 games and missed out on a GF? As far as I know the answer is one. All the home and away games do is set you up as best as possible. Collingwood won 13 games in 2002 and beat the top team (who I think won 18 games) in the 1st final.

I just don't reckon there's any point jumping up and down if we miss the GF. I sure hope we don't and will be disappointed, but I'm sure not half as disappointed as the players and the coaching staff would be who would all be acutely aware of what's at stake and the opportunity missed.

therabbitinthehat
Club Player

considering most people thought we would slip lower on the ladder this year (from 4th), I think if we got anywhere higher than about 6th most people would be content.

You can't predict what injuries, off-field drama, etc. is going to happen between now and grandfinal day, so it's pointless assuming we are going to do anything other than set ourselves to run out on the field and smash our opponent of the week. If we keep doing that, the rest will take care of itself.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I will be absolutely farking filthy if we don't win the whole thing.

We have never given ourselves a better platform for success.

The time has come not to waste opportunity and talent. No more if only's, or 'shoulda coulda's'

This is the year.

Now.

No excuses.

thequarry
Club Player

Thinline wrote:The time has come not to waste opportunity and talent. No more if only's, or 'shoulda coulda's'

This is the year.

Now.

No excuses.
Agreed.

Even though we lost prelims in 04/05 there was still a general consensus that the team was still young and building and would improve afterwards.

But we got short circuited, we've worked very hard since, and the "now" the could/should have been 2006-08 is exactly that - now.

OneEyedSainter77
SS Life Member

Thinline wrote:I will be absolutely farking filthy if we don't win the whole thing.

We have never given ourselves a better platform for success.

The time has come not to waste opportunity and talent. No more if only's, or 'shoulda coulda's'

This is the year.

Now.

No excuses.
totally agree.

i heavn't engraved the 2009 premiership cup yet but this is the year we defy history.

F**k history! A good point on another thread here was that we haven't EVER won twelve in a row before - well now we have so we've already defied history there.

So who cares what others say? it's not about the 1890's anymore. that St Kilda is dead and gone and neer coming back. This is all that matters. Here and Now - the new St Kilda is here to win and that's exactly what we're doing.

Couldn't ask any more than that.

Moccha
Saintsational Legend

saintdooley wrote:all this stuff about winning 12 in a row no team has miss out etc.. its all rubbish
It's a statistical fact not rubbish. Think about it

Another opportunity awaits!
StSteven
Club Player

It may be a statistical fact about the past but it is not a fact that any particular event will occur in the future. Otherwise gambling would be very easy.

bozza1980
Club Player

Moods wrote:
Agree completely. How many teams have won their first 10 games and missed out on a GF? As far as I know the answer is one.
I think it's about 4.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: IF we don't make the Granny this year....

saintsRrising wrote:Cats and Dogs will both be tough in the Finals. Dogs almost got into the GF last year and this year are a better team. Hawks are currently out of form...but who knos what will happen from here.
agree. the real stuff doesn't really start until september. until then we are all just jostling for position. but i'd rather be winning just the same.

starsign
Club Player

if we don't make the Granny this year????????

...then as the great Saint saying goes.....(and as I've heard for too many years I care to recall )....

there's always next year!

saintly_safes
Club Player

As much as I would be disapointed ,it wouldnt be any different to any other year. St.Kilda football club is like my family ,it doesnt matter what they do or how bad they get there still mine & you just deal with it & hope things get better next year.

mightysainters
SS Hall of Fame

my g/f will be in for a very somber september- march.... She goes for the saints but being with me will be hell...

bergholt
Saintsational Legend

AnythingsPossibleSaints wrote:It's not wise to go there. It's better to make missing the GF (or not winning it) not an option. We just need to commit to winning it and then find the best way to do so. That's how you get things done.
In golf, "hackers" focus on the lake/trouble and inveriably hit it in there, whereas the "pros" focus on the green and inveriably hit it. There's something to be learned from that.
yeah. that hackers play one round a month, and pros play four rounds a day.

noob
Club Player

i will smash heads

Armoooo
Saintsational Legend

starsign wrote:if we don't make the Granny this year????????

...then as the great Saint saying goes.....(and as I've heard for too many years I care to recall )....

there's always next year!
I have said this every year for the past 5 years EXCEPT this year ----
Armoooo in 2003, 2004, 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008 BUT NOT 2009 wrote: This is our year, I can feel it!!

ROBERT HARVEY A.K.A The Great Man, Banger, Harves, Ol' Man River...
384 games, 4 B&F's, 3 EJ Whitten Medals, St.Kilda Captain, 2 Time Brownlow Medalist, 8 Time All Australian, 2nd Highest Brownlow votes poller.... The greatest of ALL TIME!!
uncle joe
Club Player

We can't do more than win each game as it comes up . So far , so good .

However , we are experts at losing prelims .

Don't count the chickens just yet .