McEvoy

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Rocket
Club Player

McEvoy

Did he play for Sandringham on the weekend?

Quixote
SS Life Member

Was wondering the same thing.

Also wondering whether he is in line for King's spot.

Fortius Quo Fidelius Yo
bob__71
Club Player

I think his pressure skills were missed on the weekend. He might not be the best pressure player in the side, but he is the best tackler/pressure player of our ruck options.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

Don't get me wrong, I like Big Ben, but we must keep King in the side and get him back to do what we know he can. His experience beats Ben hands down.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Not that external perception matters to those directly concerned, but I found it interesting that Healy and Sheahan both stated tonight on OTC that they would have McEvoy as an inclusion over King, Hird going with experience....

True Blue Sainter
Club Player

McEvoy played against Frankston for Sandy...

Won his fair share of hitouts, although not many were to advantage (although when Sandy got going in the last, he seemed to palm a couple of beauties, one to Geary for a goal was brilliant). Around the ground looked just OK (nowhere near as solid as he was against Hawthorn the week before). Probably racked up around 5-6 marks and 12-15 disposals, and won around 25 hitouts (I'd guess at about 3-4 to advantage).

The Saints are coming!
SydneySainter
SS Hall of Fame

Hard call to make, just like our back line. Two quality ruck men to pick from but we can only pick two.

At this stage I would say King...just. Merely because although I think Big Ben is a much better around-the-ground player, King is a far more solid tap ruck man and we need to give our mids the best taps to advantage possible.

Granted, he played a shocker, but Gardy wasn't too flash either and in the end, both were soundly beaten by Ryder.

Some tough calls to be made for selection this week, which is actually a blessing!

Until we have an administration that demands success and a playing group that bleeds for the guernsey, St. Kilda will just be a sh*tty football club.
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

SydneySainter wrote:Hard call to make, just like our back line. Two quality ruck men to pick from but we can only pick two.

At this stage I would say King...just. Merely because although I think Big Ben is a much better around-the-ground player, King is a far more solid tap ruck man and we need to give our mids the best taps to advantage possible.

Granted, he played a shocker, but Gardy wasn't too flash either and in the end, both were soundly beaten by Ryder.

Some tough calls to be made for selection this week, which is actually a blessing!
Kingy got an absolute shellacking on the weekend and his non-ruck work rate is pretty substandard - he's a trier, but he's of another era. Given what Lyon's going through with Ball, and given Lyon tends to lean towards players who although not the silkiest will at the very least contest and run until they spew, I wouldn't be surprised to see McEvoy get the nod.

As for the OTC boys singing McEvoy's praises...perspective, please. No disprespect to Ben McEvoy, but they do tend to get all juiced up at ANYONE new, regardless of their actual performances.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
spert
Saintsational Legend

I reckon RL would not have been impressed with King's work on the weekend -Ryder is a backman turned ruckman, who showed King a clean set of heels. McEvoy for me, as he is more mobile.

Sobraz
SS Life Member

Right now, I'd have McEvoy as our number 2 behind big Gardy... King is a statue, and whilst his big body in the clinches and experience are important, he does not get the ball... at all...

Hit outs alone are very overrated, and McEvoy showed more and more in each game, his abilty to find the ball and win possesions, both in the air and on the deck..

His link up running goal a few weeks ago is a massive sign of what this kid can do - he has a skill set that is growing by the week, while King is just lumbering...

SaintWodonga
Club Player

Saint Bev wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like Big Ben, but we must keep King in the side and get him back to do what we know he can. His experience beats Ben hands down.
+1

Tony Lockett kicks 10 goals

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4v4ZQJHjlvM
Sobraz
SS Life Member

Saint Bev wrote:Don't get me wrong, I like Big Ben, but we must keep King in the side and get him back to do what we know he can. His experience beats Ben hands down.
Whats more important... Experience v's Skill??.... honest question..

Superboot
SS Life Member

We missed Ben, CJ, and Mini very badly, and ended up playing for long periods like one of those star studded Saints teams that looks great on paper but doesn't have enough grunt.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Hit outs alone are very overrated, and McEvoy showed more and more in each game, his abilty to find the ball and win possesions, both in the air and on the deck..
Tend to agree here. Seems to me its all about body position in the ruck contest. Surely only a handful of taps ever really go where a ruckman wants them to go, and even when they do it's mostly because the bounce is crooked or biased one way or another. Reckon we might be better off with someone who gets in a postion to let the ball drop in a spot where a Hayes/Ball/Monty etc are better than 50% of getting it. Reckon McEvoy can do that just as well as King. IMO, of course. I equally understand the big body/experience argument re Kingy.

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Sobraz wrote:
Whats more important... Experience v's Skill??.... honest question..
At this point I think Kings big body and experience will be very important in the finals

I love this club
asiu

Right now, I'd have McEvoy as our number 2 behind big Gardy... King is a statue, and whilst his big body in the clinches and experience are important, he does not get the ball... at all...

His link up running goal a few weeks ago is a massive sign of what this kid can do - he has a skill set that is growing by the week, while King is just lumbering...

from sunday night , i am now firmly in this camp

question is , who's going to do any dirty work required

aussiejones
Club Player

Selection committee dilema !!!

Experience v enthusiastic youth.

Hudgton V Zac
McEvoy v King
Ball v ??

"Given what Lyon's going through with Ball, and given Lyon tends to lean towards players who although not the silkiest will at the very least contest and run until they spew."

Perhaps Ross needs to stop trying to 'make' Ball into something and appreciate him for his in and under grunt work.

Finals can hinge on little differences ie playing underdone /injured players and players who have been OK during the year but will be shown up under the heat of top competition in finals.

spert
Saintsational Legend

King may have experience, but it's darn hard to win games when your rucks can't get their hands on the ball, or take a few marks in packs.

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

I wouldn't forget that finals are rarely played in the open slather manner in which Essendon play at the Dome.

Ryder has jumped over most ruckman this year but is out for the season now. No other finals contender as a ruckman with the athleticism of Ryder (Kreuzer is possibly the closest, Fraser can hurt sides with his running). A number do have big gorillas that are not as big as our big gorilla in Kingy!

Experience is huge in finals & Kingy has been to the top of the tree & will be vital in a big game. He's also likely to poleaxe an opposition player if it needs to be done!

Big Mac offers more in regards to contested marks & a chance to run forward & kick a few goals. I think that we've got that covered quite well with Gardy helping out Kosi & Roo if needed.

Kingy for mine regardless of him copping a hiding from Ryder.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Before you all write off King....remember wjho our main opponents are for the Flag.

Cats
Pies
Dogs

King matches up ok against their ruckmen....none of them have the leap or mobility of Ryder.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
maverick
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:Before you all write off King....remember wjho our main opponents are for the Flag.

Cats
Pies
Dogs

King matches up ok against their ruckmen....none of them have the leap or mobility of Ryder.
Agree 100% on this, so important to look at it this way...

Animal Enclosure
SS Hall of Fame

maverick wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:Before you all write off King....remember wjho our main opponents are for the Flag.

Cats
Pies
Dogs

Cats- Ottens, Mumford, Blake- all massive units

Pies- Fraser, Wood- Fraser's not big but runs around & Blakey would have to be a big chance to run with him. Wood is very tall & reasonably mobile but is still very inexperienced.

Dogs- Minson & Hudson- huge units very similar to Kingy.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

maverick wrote:

Cats
Pies
Dogs

Yes. Both possibly right. But still equally arguable that McEvoy can play the same role in King's absence. King did not play against Collingwood (in fact, from memory, we only played Gardi that week), nor was he there for the second Dogs game when we towelled them up. As for the Cats, I can't recall.

Look, you may well be right, but geez this selecting process is one big bitch.

maz1685
Club Player

While King's got the finals experience that we need, I reckon they give McEvoy a run during finals to see how he copes, cos personally I prefer McEvoy, he's just got so much more presence around the ground, and call me simple, but I don't understand the importance of the ruck, once it's bounced by the umpire I reckon it's anyone's ball, though I will say I don't pay too much attention to ruck work

bob__71
Club Player

McEvoy has more tackling experience than King :)