Roo getting outside help?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

InkerSaint
SS Hall of Fame

Roo getting outside help?

I saw a couple of mates last night who are North supporters. They mentioned that they'd heard Wayne Carey has been helping Nick out with his goalkicking technique.

Considering the number of calls on this forum to hire Plugger as a consultant, I thought somebody might have caught onto this too?

I'll go back and confirm the source if I have to... :roll: they have been gloating for weeks now about round 21.

Just to cap it off the other member of the crew is a Bombers supporter... arrrgh... why did it have to be those two teams...

"... You want to pose a threat to the opposition in as many ways as you can, both defensively and offensively. We've got a responsibility to explore all those possibilities - and we will."
Milton66
SS Life Member

Carey is on record for wanting to find assistant work, so it wouldn't surprise me at all.

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
saintly
Saintsational Legend

not sure, although Roo did say that he has been been using a new technique since about round 20 or so.

bendigo bob
Club Player

Who cares who is instructing him - its working a treat!!

BJ has arrived!!!!!!!!!!

BJ's #1 Fan

Winner of the half time Social Club auction for Kosi's jumper Round 19 2005
Can we build it? Yes we can!!
Moods
Saintsational Legend

I heard exactly the same thing re Carey assisting Roo. Heard it two days ago.

Say what you like about Carey as a bloke, but as a footballer he was second to none. Was also the best ever CHF in the history of the game. At his peak, he didn't have a fault in his game. Smartest thing Rooey has ever done, if true. Carey's kicking was sublime. Rooet's field kicking is great, and I have always wondered why this couldn't be transferred into his set shots.

I heard that Carey has just taken him back to basics, stuff that Rooey probably already knows, but with everyone else telling him what to do it has been pushed to the back of his mind. Simple stuff like have a set run-up, focus on an object in the crowd, etc rather than get into the technical side with him. If true, shows how smart Carey is - no way that messing with Roo's ball drop at his age would assist him, and probably would make him a worse kick for goal.

DJKCR
Club Player

I am pretty sure that Steve Quartermain mentioned that Roo had been getting some help from Carey on One week at a time.

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

DJKCR wrote:I am pretty sure that Steve Quartermain mentioned that Roo had been getting some help from Carey on One week at a time.
Yeah he did, just a quick passing comment...

saint75
SS Hall of Fame

Carey confirmed OTC that he was helping a big name forward, but would not name the player.

Heard the rumour it was Roo about a week ago, but wasn't from anyone reliable so thought nothing of it.

Good to see Roo being proactive about the issue. He looked fantastic on the weekend and will only get better in the next 2 games!

Fortius Quo Fidelius
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I liked Ross Lyon making a joke about Roo in his press conference. He asked the journo "Did he kick straight today?"

Was hilarious.

reincarnated

Both are managed by Ricky so Reincarnated suggests that would have something to do with it

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

It's all ok as long as the help is confined to goal kicking and doesn't extend to providing advice to Roo on how to manage his lovelife or other off-field activities.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Milton66
SS Life Member

meher baba wrote:It's all ok as long as the help is confined to goal kicking and doesn't extend to providing advice to Roo on how to manage his lovelife or other off-field activities.
cheap shot. :roll:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?
Moods
Saintsational Legend

meher baba wrote:It's all ok as long as the help is confined to goal kicking and doesn't extend to providing advice to Roo on how to manage his lovelife or other off-field activities.
I'm sure at 26 - 27 years of age Rooey can manage his own personal life. Rooey and Carey did do a radio show together 5 years ago and probably have a good relationship. You can get along with someone without necessarily agreeing with or respecting the other persons decisions in life. I reckon Riewoldt would definitely respect Carey as a footballer though (who wouldn't)

reincarnated

Milton66 wrote:
Meher Baba, you must certainly be one of those losers who attacks everyone who is successful in life.

Wayne Carey is more successful and better than you

Moods
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:
Meher Baba, you must certainly be one of those losers who attacks everyone who is successful in life.

And how do you know this reincarnated? Certainly wouldn't be saying that Wayne carey is successful in life His life is actually quite dysfunctional - by his own admission. AS a footballer though, he was a genius. THat's all Roo needs help with though so who cares about the rest.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Roo getting outside help?

InkerSaint wrote:I saw a couple of mates last night who are North supporters. They mentioned that they'd heard Wayne Carey has been helping Nick out with his goalkicking technique.

Considering the number of calls on this forum to hire Plugger as a consultant, I thought somebody might have caught onto this too?

I'll go back and confirm the source if I have to... :roll: they have been gloating for weeks now about round 21.

Just to cap it off the other member of the crew is a Bombers supporter... arrrgh... why did it have to be those two teams...
it was mentioned on the radio at the game...aussie i think..

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
meher baba
Saintsational Legend

reincarnated wrote:
Milton66 wrote:

You're right. Perhaps I should use him as a role model.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
Stillwaiting
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:I liked Ross Lyon making a joke about Roo in his press conference. He asked the journo "Did he kick straight today?"

Was hilarious.
Heard that comment and enjoyed it :D

I love this club
BakesFan
SS Life Member

InkerSaint wrote:I saw a couple of mates last night who are North supporters. They mentioned that they'd heard Wayne Carey has been helping Nick out with his goalkicking technique.

Dunno what they have to gloat about??..... Ask them how their respective teams are doing in this year's Finals.

Great minds discuss ideas; average minds discuss events; small minds discuss people.(Eleanor Roosevelt)
lendog heaven
Club Player

it was an unsubstantiated rumour from the 3AW rumour file

Tramps like us.............