5 B& F where does that place Roo all time

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

older saint
SS Life Member

5 B& F where does that place Roo all time

The question must be asked now where does Roo stand in the all time greats of the club. A record 5 B&F's is very impressive, especially considering some 04, & 09 were in top 4 finishing years and 06 was a finals playing year also.

My analysis:
Lockett: INjuries and suspensions probably cost hima couple B & F's and also 1 R Harvey didn't help. Not at this level yet

Harvey: 4 B& F's. Probably played with better individuals than Roo - Burke, Lockett, Winmar, Loewe. Teams not as good. Again not at his level yet

Baldock & Stewart before my time and really cannot comment.

Would have to now be in the top 3 Saints players i have seen ( remember since say early 1980's) but still behind the 2 I mentioned but past Winmar, Loewe, Burke, Frawley

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I always rated Lockett as the best saint I had ever seen, followed by Stewart, Baldock, Harvey & Ditterich. Riewoldt has probably overtaken the lot and DEFINATELY will have by the time his career is finished !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

mick13
Club Player

I know it shouldn't have anything to do with premiership success. But if he wins us a flag, he'll easily go down as our greatest ever.

(And probably should regardless)

I have no idea if I'm Gen X or Gen Y, but hell whatever I am, I know we'll be telling our kids about this guy. And what a pleasure it's been to be able to enjoy him at his peak. I never really got to see Lockett or Harvery at their peak...well I just dont remember it very well.

But to see this guy just go from a young gun to an out and out superstar has been... a privellage.

Iceman234
Saintsational Legend

mick13 wrote:I know it shouldn't have anything to do with premiership success. But if he wins us a flag, he'll easily go down as our greatest ever.

(And probably should regardless)

I have no idea if I'm Gen X or Gen Y, but hell whatever I am, I know we'll be telling our kids about this guy. And what a pleasure it's been to be able to enjoy him at his peak. I never really got to see Lockett or Harvery at their peak...well I just dont remember it very well.

But to see this guy just go from a young gun to an out and out superstar has been... a privellage.
Agree, the flag will top it off.

For years I just told my kids to watch Harves' workrate - would say "watch where he is now, watch him run and I bet he ends up at the other end of the ground in 20 seconds taking the ball". And more often than not, he would.

Now I'm just in awe of Roo's workrate. Enjoy it while it's there, as I soaked up every minute of Harves' magnificent career.

Another era, another out and out champion.

Toy Saint
SS Hall of Fame

Tony Lockett was the best footballer I have ever seen, possibly the best of all time. Ian Stewart was all class, even in this modern era he would be a stand-out superstar. Nick Riewoldt has added a new dimension to the game, and must be included in the top three St Kilda players of all time.
Look what i've found, forex expert

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

I've seen them all.

Baldock was absolutely brilliant. Stewart was an awesome creator.

Plugger was just Plugger. Harvey was the hardest worker of them all.

Reiwoldt is the best footballer I've ever seen.
He never gives up.
He takes marks that nobody should take (not the speckies, but the sheer courage ones).
He runs all day (learnt that from Harves).
Wins games of his own boot regularly.
Leads from the front, and is still modest in himself.
He is the ultimate team player (along with Lenny).

You can have your Careys, Breretons and Abletts (like the way it's reverse alphabetical), I'll take Rooey any day.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
perfectionist
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:I've seen them all.

Baldock was absolutely brilliant. Stewart was an awesome creator.

Plugger was just Plugger. Harvey was the hardest worker of them all.

Reiwoldt is the best footballer I've ever seen.
He never gives up.
He takes marks that nobody should take (not the speckies, but the sheer courage ones).
He runs all day (learnt that from Harves).
Wins games of his own boot regularly.
Leads from the front, and is still modest in himself.
He is the ultimate team player (along with Lenny).

You can have your Careys, Breretons and Abletts (like the way it's reverse alphabetical), I'll take Rooey any day.
Agree, but I guess you knew that already.

Except that, it's RIEWOLDT!!!!!!!!!