Lions excite Xavier Clarke - Herald Sun

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Lions excite Xavier Clarke - Herald Sun

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/l ... 5801900360

The pain of knee surgery was eventually replaced by the greater agony of sitting on the sidelines while his teammates - including brother Raphael - lost the Grand Final to Geelong.

"I was devastated to have a knee operation," Clarke said.

"I came off a pretty full pre-season. I was really happy to see the boys do well and win 19 games in a row, though not being part of it was hard.

"Coming to Brisbane is a big opportunity for me. I have spent eight years at the Saints but the last two years have been difficult with injury.

"I moved up here the week after trade week because I wanted to get into it.

"It was interesting because they have a few different things I have not done before - things like improving my core strength.

"I am hoping those things will enable me to play consistent footy and stay on the park a bit more. I need to start afresh and I will try to gain respect by training well."

Clarke leaves St Kilda at a sensitive time. The football world is divided on whether the pain of the defeat will drive the Saints to glory next winter or whether their form will wilt.

"The boys were absolutely devastated. It was hard to see your teammates go through that," he said.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I was sad to see him go, especially for such a poor return. Now after Lovett's poor start I am even sadder.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Well, it's now official, EVERY thread in the off season becomes negative, wistful, bitter, sad....

Or all of the above :shock:

Duggie1
Club Player

I wish him well. Thoroughly nice guy. Just hope he rubbed off some on to his kid brother. :lol:

Always a Saint
TassieJones
Club Player

wait wtf, he never worked on his core strength at st kilda? surely that can't be right, the guys always been too light for the way he plays surely core strength is one of the first things he'd work on?

still can't believe he wanted to leave btw... doesn't make any sense, saints supporter growing up, plays with his brother, better chance of a flag than most clubs... :S

Elvis
Club Player

TassieJones wrote:wait wtf, he never worked on his core strength at st kilda? surely that can't be right, the guys always been too light for the way he plays surely core strength is one of the first things he'd work on?

still can't believe he wanted to leave btw... doesn't make any sense, saints supporter growing up, plays with his brother, better chance of a flag than most clubs... :S
I think his confidence is shot and and the perception at St.Kilda may be that his body is gone also. In a side where there is hot competition for places it was always going to be difficult to break into the line up with this baggage. It would have been a tough choice to make.

X and Max came to our school and spent the day with our students working through leadership as part of the community camp/NAB Cup build up at the beginning of 09. They were both brilliant but I think, given the way their season panned out, that we may have cursed them.
Last edited by Elvis on Mon 23 Nov 2009 1:05pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Something must have happened. Anyone?

satchmo
Saintsational Legend

TassieJones wrote:wait wtf, he never worked on his core strength at st kilda? surely that can't be right, the guys always been too light for the way he plays surely core strength is one of the first things he'd work on?

Yeah, that would be amazing. I know that geelong are huge on the core strength thing, why wouldn't we be?

And X was a bomber supporter. Raph was the Saints fan.

*Allegedly.

Bring back Lucky Burgers, and nobody gets hurt.

You can't un-fry things.

Last Post
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

I hope X goes well at the Lions. He left in a dignified way so all power to him in my book. I feel sorry for Nathan Burke for giving him his old number. :oops:

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Maybe there is a need to read between the lines to much, maybe it's exactly what he said, a fresh start?

Beekay
SS Life Member

borderbarry wrote:I was sad to see him go, especially for such a poor return. Now after Lovett's poor start I am even sadder.
Lovett has done more than X ever will on a football field.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I hope you are right Beekay, especially for the coming season. In my book I dont have them that far apart.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

exactly my thoughts! in fact i have been critical of x on this forum for many years and i alwyas made the same observation - that his core strength was terrible. he was pushed off the ball too easily and spent too much time on the ground.

if the saints never picked up on this and he never was working on it i will be fuming. if he goes and plays well at the lions because of this i will be appalled at the saints for not working him in that area better. im no fitness expert - and i picked utp on it from the stands FFS.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Con Gorozidis wrote:
exactly my thoughts! in fact i have been critical of x on this forum for many years and i alwyas made the same observation - that his core strength was terrible. he was pushed off the ball too easily and spent too much time on the ground.

if the saints never picked up on this and he never was working on it i will be fuming. if he goes and plays well at the lions because of this i will be appalled at the saints for not working him in that area better. im no fitness expert - and i picked utp on it from the stands FFS.
IF, and yep, you're no fitness expert :wink:

loris
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lions excite Xavier Clarke - Herald Sun

SainterK wrote:
"It was interesting because they have a few different things I have not done before - things like improving my core strength.
Can't fathom this comment....thought it would be the first thing our fitness department would be onto these days...having individualised programs in this area for all players, especially players that have continual injury histories.

I know it was a very big component with Misson when he was with the Australian Cricket team (before his Swans days). Misson was in the forefront of such training, before most had heard of the words core & strength in relation to fitness. Can recall Shane Warne mouthing off once at a function I was at, saying he was a cricketer not a ballet dancer in reference to a core strength program Misson wanted him to follow.

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

wish him all the best (except against us ofcourse).

Class act....and I was always a fan as he could play and was so close I reckon to cracking the 22 before the knee........

“Yeah….nah””
saintnick12
Club Player

loris wrote:
SainterK wrote:
Can't fathom this comment....thought it would be the first thing our fitness department would be onto these days...having individualised programs in this area for all players, especially players that have continual injury histories.

I know it was a very big component with Misson when he was with the Australian Cricket team (before his Swans days). Misson was in the forefront of such training, before most had heard of the words core & strength in relation to fitness. Can recall Shane Warne mouthing off once at a function I was at, saying he was a cricketer not a ballet dancer in reference to a core strength program Misson wanted him to follow.

I too found this comment by X very strange. We can only hope it was an off the cuff comment. I would be amazed if Misson was not working on this with X over the past year. Maybe he was trying to make a good impression by making a positive comment about his movement to the Lions....just it has come across as having a go at the Saints fitness dept

ace
Saintsational Legend

Me thinks he was told, we will keep you, but to be honest you will get better opportunities elsewhere.
If you find somewhere else, let us know and we will make it easy for you.

I fear he may have made a mistake in Brisbane.
Voss is extremely ambitious and not prepared to wait.
He will be told deliver NOW or you will be delisted.
No mercy, no the club is your family, just you are here to make me look good NOW.

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.

If you are not engaging AI actively and aggressively, you are doing it wrong.
You are not going to lose your job to AI.
You are going lose your job to somebody who uses AI.
Your company is not going to go out of business because of AI.
Your company is going to go out of business because another company used AI.
- Jensen Huang, CEO of NVIDIA
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:
SainterK wrote:

Maybe he meant...

It was interesting because they have a few different things I have not done before - things like improving my core strength....with a different method than what I have done in the past

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

SainterK wrote:
Maybe he meant...

It was interesting because they have a few different things I have not done before - things like improving my core strength....with a different method than what I have done in the past

yeah i reckon u r right. hope he does ok (just not when he plays us).

kosifantutti23
SS Hall of Fame

borderbarry wrote:I was sad to see him go, especially for such a poor return. Now after Lovett's poor start I am even sadder.
I'm so out of touch over here. I thought the season wouldn't start until late March but it sounds as though we have played a couple of games already.

Furtius Quo Rdelious
Batnoe

On last years injuries i think we went better, so what our fitness coach is doing is working, so i wouldnt write too much into it