Lovett's alleged indiscretion will open up the spot earmarke

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Lovett's alleged indiscretion will open up the spot earmarke

Lovett's alleged indiscretion will open up the spot earmarked for him to someone else. (That was posted by BigCarl on another thread.)
2 points.. Whose spot was earmarked for Lovett?
And.. Who is most likely to take Lovett's spot?

Bearing in mind Armo will probably take Ball's spot.

Batnoe

I think Geary as the running type

Peake may also have the same sort of role.

But it might be just a shuffle of posititions- MCQ more into the running mould and someone else to take MCQ's spot, Like Heyne or Lynch depending on their defensive pressure. Otherwise Jack Steven can learn from the forward pocket

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Re: Lovett's alleged indiscretion will open up the spot earm

on your second point, maybe rhys stanley.

granted, he and lovett are completely different types, but rhys does has extreme leg speed as witnessed in the gf sprint.

he's also very tall and that sort of pace and height are a potent combination.

i'd try him as a tall winger, but no doubt some have him pigeon-holed as ruck only ... because he is tall.

regarding him only as a ruck prospect would limit the opportunities of getting games into a very promising player.

older saint
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:on your second point, maybe rhys stanley.

granted, he and lovett are completely different types, but rhys does has extreme leg speed as witnessed in the gf sprint.

he's also very tall and that sort of pace and height are a potent combination.

i'd try him as a tall winger, but no doubt some have him pigeon-holed as ruck only ... because he is tall.

regarding him only as a ruck prospect would limit the opportunities of getting games into a very promising player.
Not sure he is good enought below the knees though. Excellent speed and size but seems to be key position player/ruck

doppler effect
Club Player

Absolutely.

Im sure Rhys will ultimately become a ruck man along side Big Mac, until that time he should be put to good use on the wing or half forward flank. Very athletic tall, seems a waste in the 2nds.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

doppler effect wrote:
Absolutely.

Im sure Rhys will ultimately become a ruck man along side Big Mac, until that time he should be put to good use on the wing or half forward flank. Very athletic tall, seems a waste in the 2nds.
Obviously you haven't seen him play at Sandy.
Stanley will be a great player in the future, but is still very green.
More likely next year than this year.

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

Bernard Shakey wrote:
doppler effect wrote:
Absolutely.

Obviously you haven't seen him play at Sandy.
Stanley will be a great player in the future, but is still very green.
More likely next year than this year.
i've seen him play a couple of times. He's very impressive and I think his development should be fast-tracked.

hopefully the club will know when the time is right, not a moment too soon or too late.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 11 Jan 2010 12:54pm, edited 1 time in total.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

I imagine he would come along a lot faster with a few AFL games under his belt than without them.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

1/ Stanley is not a replacement for Lovett

2/ IMO Lovett did not have a place earmarked for him. He had to earn it first. IMO Lovett and Peake were taken with the belief that at least one could be "Lyonised" into a St Kilda TEAM player to inject a bit more pace into the team which IMO the coaches have identified as being an are of improvement for 2010.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:to inject a bit more pace into the team which IMO the coaches have identified as being an are of improvement for 2010.
stanley is quick :idea:

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:to inject a bit more pace into the team which IMO the coaches have identified as being an are of improvement for 2010.
stanley is quick :idea:
if pace is all that was required there would be many others playing AFL who are not.

Stanly is young and raw

Stanley is not as nimble as a mid sized player

I like Stanley a lot...but he is not a replacement for Lovett.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:I like Stanley a lot...but he is not a replacement for Lovett.
no, as i said, they are completely different types. but there is nothing to say that we couldn't utilise his pace and height on a wing, for example.
saintsRrising wrote:2/ IMO Lovett did not have a place earmarked for him. He had to earn it first..
maybe, but most of us would have had lovett pencilled in as a starting 18 player. the coach included, is my guess.
Last edited by bigcarl on Mon 11 Jan 2010 2:11pm, edited 1 time in total.

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

No one - Hence why recruited Lovett.

SaintSimmo
Club Player

Batnoe wrote:I think Geary as the running type

Peake may also have the same sort of role.

Peake is who i think will take his spot unless geary steps up his game next year, then he would take the spot for sure. I think that peake was picked up incase something like this happened. So i think that peake was a fall back if lovett screwed up, and geary was quite ready. Thats just what i think tho.

yipper
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:
saintsRrising wrote:I like Stanley a lot...but he is not a replacement for Lovett.
no, as i said, they are completely different types. but there is nothing to say that we couldn't utilise his pace and height on a wing, for example.
saintsRrising wrote:2/ IMO Lovett did not have a place earmarked for him. He had to earn it first..
maybe, but most of us would have had lovett pencilled in as a starting 18 player. the coach included, is my guess.
Aah memories of Val Perovic come back - young and quick and very tall!! Playing on the wing!!!

I want to stand for something. I'm a loyal person and I think at the end of my career it will be great to look back and know that I'm a St Kilda person for life.
- Nick Riewoldt. May 19th 2009.
plugger66
Saintsational Legend

Rhys Stanley on the HFF to replace Lovett. Is this comedy hour. He may have won the sprint but he 203cm and is a ruckman. You have to be able to play well below your knees to play as HFF or if he is to pinch hit at CHF you need to read the play and to be a resonable pack taking mark. Rhys is not either of these at this stage. If he plays this year it will be as a ruckman but we have recruited Pattison as we dont want to play Rhys this early.

Who will replace Lovett. Who knows as there is at least 4 practice matches to see but it will not be Stanley.

borderbarry
Saintsational Legend

Whose spot was earmarked for Lovett?

Eastern
Saintsational Legend

I don't like the idea of spots being ear-marked

I do like the idea of (realistically) 30+ guys competing for 22 spots !!

NEW scarf signature (hopefully with correct spelling) will be here as soon as it arrives !!

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Eastern wrote:I don't like the idea of spots being ear-marked

I do like the idea of (realistically) 30+ guys competing for 22 spots !!
I like your post...

loris
Saintsational Legend

Remember a tall fast skinny young guy who initially wasn't so great below his knees, played on a wing with West Coast Eagles? Played many great games on the wing in his early career....then he bulked up and wasn't so dashing with the eagles on the wing....no longer had the tank when he beefed up??

Yep Fraser Gerhig........ became an inconsistent spare parts man with the Eagles much to their frustration.

So tall fast skinny lads on a wing...who knows what they will turn into........another Coleman medallist for the Saints in the future eh :P :P :lol:

Maybe Big Carl is onto something.....we can only bt dream :wink:

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

I don't know about Rhys playing on a wing but I suspect that when he finally makes his debut it probably won't be as a ruckman.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

loris wrote:Remember a tall fast skinny young guy who initially wasn't so great below his knees, played on a wing with West Coast Eagles? Played many great games on the wing in his early career....then he bulked up and wasn't so dashing with the eagles on the wing....no longer had the tank when he beefed up??

Yep Fraser Gerhig........ became an inconsistent spare parts man with the Eagles much to their frustration.

So tall fast skinny lads on a wing...who knows what they will turn into........another Coleman medallist for the Saints in the future eh :P :P :lol:

Maybe Big Carl is onto something.....we can only bt dream :wink:
Well dreams can be good.

However while there have been many tall wingman....there have not really been very tall wingman.

Also we are talking about replacing Lovett now.

Rhys until a season or so ago was playing basketball...so he is still learning the game.

He shows potential to play KPP as well as ruck...but a wingman now is not likely.

bigcarl
Saintsational Legend

plugger66 wrote:If he plays this year it will be as a ruckman but we have recruited Pattison as we dont want to play Rhys this early.
i heard the recruitment of pattison was to free rhys up for other duties apart from ruck.

:) apparently he is rated extremely highly as an athlete, both for speed and endurance.

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

bigcarl wrote:
plugger66 wrote:If he plays this year it will be as a ruckman but we have recruited Pattison as we dont want to play Rhys this early.
i heard the recruitment of pattison was to free rhys up for other duties apart from ruck.

:) apparently he is rated extremely highly as an athlete, both for speed and endurance.
I can see him playing various positions...but not wing in 2010.

Milton66
SS Life Member

bigcarl wrote:

Our new runner? :shock:

Hotel De Los Muertos: Your room is ready... Care to step inside?