Is Foxtel worth the bucks?

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Newman
Club Player

Is Foxtel worth the bucks?

I live in Brisbane and checking the footy rounds for 2010 it appears we will only see 3 Saints games LIVE on free to air. Plenty will be repeated late at night. Of course I can see all the games pretty much live on Foxtel but I'm finding I'm only watching Foxtel now for one reason - the AFL - and it's not in High Def (I believe unless you pay more) whilst I taped the game last night via PS3 on high def on CH 7 High Def and it looked fantastic. So here's the question with ONE HD now showing sport and with late night replays and even with internet radio coverage of games - is it worth dishing out $672 a year for 22 games - plus NAB Cup. How many games will ONE be showing? Any thoughts??

Spinner
Saintsational Legend

Every cent!

Got home last night from the game.....and watched the replay starting at 11:30! Love it!

nuttsy
Club Player

I live in canberra and getting fox was the second best thing I've done since being here.

sunsaint
Saintsational Legend
Location: Queensland - Beautiful one day ... you know the rest

short answer yes
long answer is it used to be much better.
They dropped the dedicated AFL channel which used to have endless replays and nightly news but now the sport competes with a deluge of soccer. NRL is ok, it seems to get blanket coverage.
Yes you have to pay more for HD (im on satellite -austar so it is crap anyway) and if you have a big 50" screen the sd telecast looks pretty poor

Oh and if you are on austar and that ONE telecast of the game concides with a rain storm forget it. No picture. That wont happen with cable foxtel tho.

Seeya
battye
Saintsational Legend

If you enjoy watching repeats and English property and cooking shows, then Foxtel is for you!

Admittedly, the sports coverage is good - but ridiculously overpriced. In order to get sports you are looking at in excess of $50 a month.

The sooner more sports are on free-to-air the better as far as I am concerned. There's no reason why international cricket (ie. India vs South Africa) can't be shown on One HD. While I can completely understand One HD devoting so much time to popular mainstream sports like sailing, wrestling and slamball - it would be nice if they spent a little more time focusing on our national sport.

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
roxanne
Club Player

Foxtel in the off season is painful....during the footy season it's a lifeline, especially with the IQ recording thing and especially when we're winning.

"He spoke of his stride, his power and his willingness to push himself to exhaustion. All of the things that are on display each weekend in the No 12 jumper" Garry Lyon
maverick
Saintsational Legend

battye wrote:If you enjoy watching repeats and English property and cooking shows, then Foxtel is for you!

Admittedly, the sports coverage is good - but ridiculously overpriced. In order to get sports you are looking at in excess of $50 a month.

The sooner more sports are on free-to-air the better as far as I am concerned. There's no reason why international cricket (ie. India vs South Africa) can't be shown on One HD. While I can completely understand One HD devoting so much time to popular mainstream sports like sailing, wrestling and slamball - it would be nice if they spent a little more time focusing on our national sport.
It will go the other way, more sport will go to Foxtel....

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

Short answer no..if all you want is AFL...as it is sold as part of a "Sports Package"...99.9% of which I never watch...

However IF you want to watch Saint's Foxtel games in your own home you have little choice. Foxtel knows this and bends you over as a result.

In my case I wait until the first Foxtel Saints game ...then sign up..and give the flick as soon at the last Foxtel game has been played.

As mentioned above it used to be better value when you had an exclusive AFL channel..White Line Fever was great and the saints games wehere replayed at decent times and normally after ecah Melbourne game so that you could watch it at the game and then if you wanted that night when you got back.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Re: Is Foxtel worth the bucks?

Newman wrote:I live in Brisbane and checking the footy rounds for 2010 it appears we will only see 3 Saints games LIVE on free to air. Plenty will be repeated late at night. Of course I can see all the games pretty much live on Foxtel but I'm finding I'm only watching Foxtel now for one reason - the AFL - and it's not in High Def (I believe unless you pay more) whilst I taped the game last night via PS3 on high def on CH 7 High Def and it looked fantastic. So here's the question with ONE HD now showing sport and with late night replays and even with internet radio coverage of games - is it worth dishing out $672 a year for 22 games - plus NAB Cup. How many games will ONE be showing? Any thoughts??
yep.......if i lived in the northern states ...that's cheap....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Trick to foxtel (aside from the AFL) is to spend the extra and get IQ, record absolutely anything that may be remotely interesting....then you have stuff to watch when there is not alot on but repeats, and also watch things with the benefit of fast forward.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

the family hardly every watch free to air.....into dexter, eureka.....most of the sci fi programs....i was watching sensations....and a few other very good programs......got four foxtell channels...plus the same in hd of the winter olympics for free too......free to air sux...imhfo.....too many afds....have to watch it at the gym sometimes whilst on the treadmill......5 minutes of program then 3 and 1 half minutes of ads...timed it again and again......

battye
Saintsational Legend

Free-to-air has become infinitely better since the new digital stations have been created. I've got an EyeTV on my Mac (what a fantastic device) and I regularly record the movies that are on GO! as well as watch some of the old sitcoms.

maverick, I sure hope not. I don't see how One HD can remain profitable off the sports they do air. They should air things like the South African / English Twenty20 tournaments, the rights to those series mustn't cost much and no other network airs them - and would surely attract some casual cricket fans (like the IPL does).

Feature article: KFC's "Double Down" burger!

TV Ratings: Hey Hey It's Saturday ratings overview

Do you know what C# is? .NET? Then you need to know this: XSD
redwhite&blackblood
SS Hall of Fame

if your looking at Foxtell purely for footy no way but if your interested in the other crap programs and have the money to waste go ahead .

Bleeding Red, Black and White for 38 years!
Life Motto - Fortius Quo Fidelius
Raph "Cult Hero" Clarke Fan Club.
ace
Saintsational Legend

I have got Foxtel with Sports.
Got Foxtel high definition as well - IQ2
THEN I got their olympics package of four olympics channels all of which are Idiot McGuire free.
Fantastic, but then I love skiing and being a self funded retiree, I don't have to go to work or study.
Just watch the olympics all day. :D

The more you know, the more you know you don't know.
When I was a young child, I knew that I knew so much about so much.
Now that I am old and know so much more, I know that I know so much about so little, and so little about so much.
Bardon Saint
Club Player

I live in Brisbane and manage to watch every saints game live without foxtel. With the saints playing so well, they get a few games live on tv. The games that are not live on tv I watch via a live stream that some chaps from the southern or western states is broadcasting. It's not TV quality but it's good enough and saves a lot of cash. I guess you'll need a quick internet connection though which you may or may not have. If you are keen to go down this path, give me a PM.

Alternatively, Batnoe organises amongst Brisbane fans to meet at the Pig & Whistle in the city to watch their live foxtel broadcast from time to time. Give him a PM to get some details if your interested in this option.

St Fidelius
Saintsational Legend

Our family just love foxtel...

we have the foxtel IQ in three rooms but the main room is the IQ HD...

We have the best package available and moving up to the IQ HD in the main room saved us $$$

We just love it

Don't wait for the light at the end of the tunnel to appear, run down there and light the bloody thing yourself!
Milan Faletic
Saintsational Legend

Spinner wrote:Every cent!

Got home last night from the game.....and watched the replay starting at 11:30! Love it!
Would die without it. :wink:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

St Fidelius wrote:Our family just love foxtel...

we have the foxtel IQ in three rooms but the main room is the IQ HD...

We have the best package available and moving up to the IQ HD in the main room saved us $$$

We just love it

ditto mate...but have one iq hd...and one iq digital box....full package too.....i don't spend any money on grog or fags...cheap entertainment to me....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

Milan Faletic wrote:
Spinner wrote:Every cent!

Would die without it. :wink:
I couldn't live without it.

It frustrates me no end when I'm at a mate's place watching TV and they don't have Foxtel.

"Coming around tonight?"

"Umm, the Saints are interstate and you don't have Foxtel, have a good one."

DJKCR
Club Player

nuttsy wrote:I live in canberra and getting fox was the second best thing I've done since being here.
Okay I will bite what is the best thing you have done since getting to Canberra :D

"I don't roll on Shabbas" Walter Sobchak
Beej
Saintsational Legend

DJKCR wrote:
nuttsy wrote:I live in canberra and getting fox was the second best thing I've done since being here.
Okay I will bite what is the best thing you have done since getting to Canberra :D
Leaving Canberra. :lol:

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
DJKCR wrote:
you should get out more...nothing wrong with canberra....

Beej
Saintsational Legend

stinger wrote:
Beej wrote:
DJKCR wrote:
Maybe YOU should get out more if you think there's nothing wrong with Canberra.

Saint Bev
SS Life Member

We finally had it put on just prior to the Collingwood game last year and don't regret it. As you know we always go down to Mermaid to watch it live anyway. But its great, we record all the games and then watch them again when we get home. ICQ is part of the package (free) these days. So we just have the basic package plus footy.

As an added bonus got to catch up on Survior that wasn't on free to air :lol: Love that show.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
stinger
Saintsational Legend

Beej wrote:
stinger wrote:
Beej wrote:
DJKCR wrote:
Maybe YOU should get out more if you think there's nothing wrong with Canberra.
no prizes for second......look i love melbourne...but canberra is a great place to live..raise a family and enjoy a quality of life most people in melbourne only get to dream about...best kept secret in australia is canberra......lived there for awhile .....