Dempster???

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

footynut
Club Player

Dempster???

Against the Hawks Dempster looked like he was getting back to the form he had before he injured his knee. He was strong and dependable, and as long as the coaches remember he's a backman and not a forward I believe his form can continue to improve.

Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

Has anybody warmed to this bloke?

He has been an almost players for us. Almost making an impact. Almost cementing a spot etc.

I don't mind him but I see more upside in Raph.

Thinline
Saintsational Legend

I've warmed. From what I've seen this year, he is incredibly brave and incredibly disciplined. I'm seeing glimpses of why RL's so in lurve...Dempster's simply a dude who does what he's told. Gotta be a regular spot for the likes of he...

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

Also been flagged by Ross as a potential future leader, so he obviously rates the kid highly. Certainly wouldn't be the first player who takes awhile to overcome a big injury.

For me it's not a matter of warming to him, if he is selected, I will support him. Must say, when the interchange infringement happened, he was incredibly wise to tear across the ground and kick it to Roo.

Can't teach that kind of footy smarts, you've either got it or you aint :wink:

noob
Club Player

not trying to bag dawson but i think he should look how dempster does his defensive business. Dempster is good and positioning himself to either mark or spoil (tries to get the front), whereas zac seems to be too far in front or lags behind for the punch. He doesn't seem to have an impact in attacking sense but does a lot of 1%ers.

hotdish
Club Player

Dempster hasn't earned his spot in the 22 - he only got in on reputation and the fact that he is RLs lovechild. We all know this - he shouldn't have played in the GF.

With him in the side we are way too "top heavy" - When it comes to playing finals, i'd rather Jack Steven getting a game ahead of Dempster, as Steven kicks goals.

Gwilt, Dempster, S Fisher, Gilbert, Baker, Z Dawson, Blake can't play in the same team playingshutdown/key back roles. I'd take Baker on a small or medium over Dempster.

I hope Dempster proves me wrong though...

Every time I see Dempster playing a fwd tagging role, I want to vomit. The guy can't kick goals. Fwd taggers such as Crowley (Freo) and Lewis (Hawks) consistently kick goals. Dempster doesn't.

FQF
SS Life Member

Dempster is a handy depth player, who can come in a play when key players are injured. The thing about Dempster is you know that you will always be getting 100% every time.
Now that's a comforting thought for a coach.

Similar to Eddy, who is neither spectacular but a 100% player, which might explain the coach's tendency to pick him as well.

Having said all that, they are both in the relative early stages in their career, and I believe both have plenty of opportunity to forge a name for themselves in the big league. Sometimes figuring out your own strengths is the toughest challenge.

Also, I can confidently say that Demps and Eddy would both be top 22 players in quite a few other teams going round. So the fact that they are depth players for us is only a good sign...

SaintWal
Club Player

Zac lost a lot of weight before the season. He has no confidence body on body and has really looked lost when trying or having to make body contact one on one. I do think, and I say this with some doubt, that he will make it as a backman for the Saints. I do not think that he should be Full back but at the moment we need others that are better to provide run of half back. In the end it comes down to whether Zac playing full back costs more than taking a Gilbert or Fish from the rebound the team creates. I always think that Zac looks poor against a big body or when the team is playing poorly but then again that is why they play a team defence.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Goose is king wrote:Has anybody warmed to this bloke?

He has been an almost players for us. Almost making an impact. Almost cementing a spot etc.

almost getting a kick....nearly almost hitting a target....

probably a cheap shot.....played alright against the hawks actually....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

No doubt whatsoever that Raph has more upside, however I don't see the need for any comparison.

They've played in the same side on many occasions (including the GF) and I don't believe Raph's selection will be based on how Dempster's travelling.

stinger
Saintsational Legend

Dr Spaceman wrote:

No doubt whatsoever that Raph has more upside, however I don't see the need for any comparison.

They've played in the same side on many occasions (including the GF) and I don't believe Raph's selection will be based on how Dempster's travelling.

bakes will replace dempster.....

.everybody still loves lenny....and we always will

"Freedom of expression is the cornerstone of a free society,"

However, freedom of expression is not encouraged in certain forums.
Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Like others im hoping im proven wrong. Im not quite seeing it. Just seems to be tall but cant really effect an aerial contest and gets completely blown away when it hits the ground. I still cant get last years GF out of my mind. Dempster on Mackie was the biggest mismatch on the field by a loooooooong way. Mackie gave him one hell of a touch up.

But im willing to give him the benefit of the doubt re the knee injury rehab. I do prefer raf though. And Bakes will come in. So he is no cert for a spot in the 22. But will certainly provide much needed cover in the next 2 months.

Moods
Saintsational Legend

hotdish wrote:Dempster hasn't earned his spot in the 22 - he only got in on reputation and the fact that he is RLs lovechild. We all know this - he shouldn't have played in the GF.

With him in the side we are way too "top heavy" - When it comes to playing finals, i'd rather Jack Steven getting a game ahead of Dempster, as Steven kicks goals.

Gwilt, Dempster, S Fisher, Gilbert, Baker, Z Dawson, Blake can't play in the same team playingshutdown/key back roles. I'd take Baker on a small or medium over Dempster.

Every time I see Dempster playing a fwd tagging role, I want to vomit. The guy can't kick goals. Fwd taggers such as Crowley (Freo) and Lewis (Hawks) consistently kick goals. Dempster doesn't.
His reputation? :shock: :? He came from the hawks as a rookie as widely considered a dud. What reputation are you referring to? Or did you just write that b/c you thought it looked good on the screen and you felt like bagging Zac. At least back your arguments up with some rational thought.

Con Gorozidis
Saintsational Legend

Moods wrote:
hotdish wrote:Dempster hasn't earned his spot in the 22 - he only got in on reputation and the fact that he is RLs lovechild. We all know this - he shouldn't have played in the GF.

His reputation? :shock: :? He came from the hawks as a rookie as widely considered a dud. What reputation are you referring to? Or did you just write that b/c you thought it looked good on the screen and you felt like bagging Zac. At least back your arguments up with some rational thought.
i think hes bagging dempster not zac?

FQF
SS Life Member

Con Gorozidis wrote:
Moods wrote:

i think hes bagging dempster not zac?
indeed

ThomasR
Club Player

Is improving but I think the game is still a bit quick for him at the moment. There has been a lot of praise for his game vs the Hawks but there were a few contests where his decision making rather than execution or effort let him down.. still a lot of improvement left.. however I still have a fit Raph ahead of him at this point

meher baba
Saintsational Legend

The long-term role model for Dempster is Blake. Blake used to look as unskilled and unsuited to senior AFL as does Dempster. But coaches loved JB because he worked hard and did what they asked him to do.
And, at a relatively advanced age for an AFL player, Blake was settled into one role in which he now does bloody well.

For me, Dempster has far less potential than Blake. He is a tall who doesn't seem to be able to play tall, but he also can't do much below his knees. And his disposal by foot, which used to be good, is terrible.

But what does it matter what any of us think? I reckon he's back to stay and will probably play in his 4th (!) GF.

"It is useless to attempt to reason a man out of a thing he was never reasoned into."
- Jonathan Swift
gringo
Saintsational Legend

I can't believe how many love to take down Dempster. Dumpster doesn't set the world on fire but is disciplined and solid. The grand final had him out of position as we needed another defensive player in the forward line to stop the ball bouncing back. He had an ordinary day but so did a few of his mates in the forward line.

He hasn't been bad since he replaced Bakes. As for comparing Zac to Dumpster, Zac is playing a body on body role and would not get the space dempster does. Everyone should get over Zac -he is our fullback and barring injury he will play finals footy. Back our guy in and stop bagging him. The guy has a thick hide to put up with the abuse he gets from our fans. We still can't get over not developing our own players, perhaps they should stop drafting recycled players so the "fans" don't get too upset.

vacuous space
SS Life Member

IMO, he's always been much better in defence than as a mid or forward tagger. He did a great job of filling in for Bakes in 2008. He's much more inclined to actually get the ball rather than just chase his opponent.

Yeah nah pleasing positive
spert
Saintsational Legend

Dempster is a solid player who can take a good mark under pressure- he is doing OK..did some important things in last week's game when needed. He is a proven premiership player, and apart from Schneids, we have no one else in that category.

Dr Spaceman
Saintsational Legend

gringo wrote:Everyone should get over Zac -he is our fullback and barring injury he will play finals footy. Back our guy in and stop bagging him. The guy has a thick hide to put up with the abuse he gets from our fans.
Very well put Sir.

or Madam :D

saintsRrising
Saintsational Legend

spert wrote: He is a proven premiership player, and apart from Schneids, we have no one else in that category.
King. But Ben is a better bet at present.

Back on Dempster. Cops way too much flak. Yes after a bad injury he did not come back in his pre-injury form. But he is displaying good form at present.

He is on the borderline of our 22 and will be in and out depending on form and availability of himself and team-mates.

Is competing with Raph, Baker, Geary.....and probably Eddy.

Also Blake is 29 and Dempster 26...so Dempster is a good understudy and likely successor.

At his best Dempster is a pretty handy defensive player who can also tag........and has good run with a booming kick. So he is more than just a lock-down player.

Flying the World in comfort thanks to FF Points....
spert
Saintsational Legend

saintsRrising wrote:
spert wrote: He is a proven premiership player, and apart from Schneids, we have no one else in that category.
King. But Ben is a better bet at present.

Back on Dempster. Cops way too much flak. Yes after a bad injury he did not come back in his pre-injury form. But he is displaying good form at present.

He is on the borderline of our 22 and will be in and out depending on form and availability of himself and team-mates.

Is competing with Raph, Baker, Geary.....and probably Eddy.

Also Blake is 29 and Dempster 26...so Dempster is a good understudy and likely successor.

At his best Dempster is a pretty handy defensive player who can also tag........and has good run with a booming kick. So he is more than just a lock-down player.
Oh yeah I forgot about Kingy, but I doubt if he will come back to the seniors while Macca is on the improve.

SaintPav
Saintsational Legend

SaintWal wrote:Zac lost a lot of weight before the season. He has no confidence body on body and has really looked lost when trying or having to make body contact one on one. I do think, and I say this with some doubt, that he will make it as a backman for the Saints. I do not think that he should be Full back but at the moment we need others that are better to provide run of half back. In the end it comes down to whether Zac playing full back costs more than taking a Gilbert or Fish from the rebound the team creates. I always think that Zac looks poor against a big body or when the team is playing poorly but then again that is why they play a team defence.
Zac shores up our structure. Blake, Fisher etc cannot really play the traditional fullback role. There is a seperate thread on this anyway. We are talking about Dempster here.

Holder of unacceptable views and other thought crimes.
doggerel
Club Player

It is worth watching the last quarter v Hawks again and keeping your eye on Dempster. He played a huge part in getting the Saints back into the match.

St Kilda Social Club member since 1996