That feeling! I felt sick

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

villasaint
Club Player

That feeling! I felt sick

I felt absolutely sick when Lings goal went through the sticks on Friday night. I put my head between my knees and was thinking some very dark thoughts I did not want to put my head up. After a bit my brother slapped me on the shoulder a couple of times to say it was a free kick. I looked up in disbelief i could not believe it.

For those at the gournd on the Friday night you would know that feeling. It was devestating I was absolutelty shattered. I have watched the replay a couple of times already and you could hear and see the umpire blow for a free kick before Ling even kicked the goal and you would have known it was a free to Gwilt. The look of devestating on the some of the players faces in the super slow mow summed it up. Saints devestated Geelong elated. That was reversed quickly how sweet it is.

snoopygirl
SS Life Member

I was waiting for the umpire to run down & give the all clear to the goal umpire & when they didn't I looked back toward where all the players were & saw the most beautiful sight I thought I'd ever see. A free kick to us. :lol:
Last edited by snoopygirl on Sun 05 Sep 2010 10:59pm, edited 1 time in total.

BringBackMadDog
Club Player

I was kicking the crap out of my seat when the guy in front of me told me it was free kick. By the end of the game I was totally drained

Scottish Saint
Club Player

When Ling kicked the goal, the woman behind me let out the most anguished, blood curdling scream I have ever heard. I just put my head in my hands. Then, I heard this female voice shout "it's a free kick! It's a free kick!" I looked up and saw the umpire signalling the free kick.

I can't think of another time when I've gone from absolute despair to sheer bloody ecstacy in the space of a few seconds like that.

saint3d
Club Player

The roar when it happened was easily 50% louder than anything else on the night. The feeling reminded me of... :|

Teflon
Saintsational Legend

To me it was like slo motion.

I just slumped back in the chair and thought "frig.....what do we have to do???"................then this tiny voice came through the screaming........"its a free kick...."....I looked up and thought.....there is a god!

“Yeah….nah””
Goose is king
SS Hall of Fame

I was complaining to my mate that Gwilt was slammed into the ground.

Funny side story that unfolded all in about 20 seconds.

A Geelong fan who was sitting about 15 rows ahead of me was walking off very unhappy (maybe going home) 10 seconds before Ling's kick. Then when the kick went through the goals he came running back down jumping up and down back to his seat. 10 seconds latter he ran off very unhappy. Still makes me laugh thinking about that.

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I went beyond anger,way way way into despair.....then when I realised it was a free kick...think I went that far into anger/sadness I couldn't find my way back to happyness...just became 100% focused on the siren blowing so I could get rid of this anger that had filled my body...then I continually punched the seat with relief when it went

Bring back the Lockett era
#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

I was actually one of the few lucky ones who saw it paid as it happened. I was just jumping up and down yelling at Cats supporters to sit the f*** down.
I actually regret my actions and I appoligised to the woman infront of me (Cats) after the game.
I guess I just got caught up in it like everyone else.

Sainterman
Club Player

I was lucky enough to see the umpire pay it before Ling had kicked it. I knew the Geelong crowd had it wrong as they all roared in delight. It seemed to take some time to sort it out, and in the end I was worried Stevic wasn't going to call it back!! But he did and it was magic to see the Geelong supporters all slowly work it out (with some help from me in letting them know!!).

For me it was like dying on the operating table and then coming back to life...! Very surreal!

Wrote for Luck
Club Player

Hands to my face. Last year I fell to the ground, but this time my cousin was standing over me proclaiming it's a free, it's a free.
Funny thing was I thought there was a free or two (to God's) but thought that's the way the night was kinda goin'.
And then so beautiful, up our end, hit the boundary, hit the boundary (1966)!
What a beautiful win.
Thompson, what a sook and a whinge-bag. Shameful. Brownless; shameful.
I LOVE ROSS LYON.

Pills 'n' Thrills and Heartaches
SainterK
Saintsational Legend

The entire last quarter was draining

Fidelis
Club Player

millarsaint wrote: Thompson, what a sook and a whinge-bag. Shameful. Brownless; shameful.
I LOVE ROSS LYON.
I missed that.

What's Billy been up to?

Faithful Even Unto Death
saintnick12
Club Player

It was definately surreal. Sitting up the other end of the ground and having given up on my radio by that stage, I really had no idea what happened. I remember the sinking feeling as the ball went through and wondering how on earth we had managed to lose it, and wondering if we had enough time left to get it back. The Geelong crowd in the bay next to us went up as one. I remember seeing the commotion, and people saying its a free. I though a free had been paid for something on the goal line and then 50mts up the ground, but my first instinct was that this was after the goal, so I still thought we were down. I looked up at the scoreboard and it hadn't updated. It was then we realized the goal had been disallowed. We were celebrating. I was surprised there wasn't more anger in the cats bay next to us....I'm sure I would have been furious if it had happened to us.
The last mintue seemed to go forever. Mum had her radio in and I kept asking her for how long to go. We were counting down. When it got under 20 with the ball down our end I finally realized we would win. The man next to dad was beside himself screaming. Dad told him only nine seconds left and he was surprised but elated and hugged dad. The siren went and we were all kissing and hugging in our group and also the people around us. It was amazing. Won't forget it for a long time.
Hope to have an even more surreal experience in three weeks time when the final siren goes. Fingers crossed.

"At the end of the day, a coach and a fitness adviser doesn't make a good football team, they're not the only ones who got us to two Grand Finals." Lenny Hayes. 27/9/2011.
Tom_Aus
Club Player

When that Ling goal bounced through, it was the loudest roar ive ever heard at a game (including Chapmans goal in last years GF), i had my head in my hands and felt physically ill. My mate then started yelling it was a free kick and before i could get my composure back, Dawson kicked to Gilbert who wasn't looking....
That's what footy is all about, what an experience, reminded me of the prelim last year against the dogs, such a tense last quarter

georgie girl
Club Player

An amazing gut wrenching experience which within a few seconds turned to relief and finally elation!
The crowd was euphoric around us after the game and I think it was because of the despair we had al felt only a minute before!
Oh what a feeling!!!

SaintDebi
Club Player

It was up our end and I saw Ling put it through and I was devastated. I put my hands over my face as the geelong crowd jumped to their feet with that deafening roar. Then it started filtering through that something was going on. First I thought it must have been paid as a point and I was trying to do the math,... so we were still up?
Then I registered what everyone was trying to tell me: no goal. Free kick!
Everyone was frantically imploring anyone with a radio... how long? How long?!!
Then it was 10 seconds to go, and we were all counting down. 10, 9, 8,....
Then pure elation! Screaming, jumping, hugging!
Then back down the highway to Geelong with smiles from ear to ear. How different that drive might have been!
And now I want to experience that euphoria tenfold. Just three more weeks!

Shattered dreams are just opportunities for improvement. Live and learn, fail and try harder. 2011 beckons.
Munga
Saintsational Legend

I was watching on tv so have different feelings. I heard the whistle so knew it wasn't a free kick, but I still shook my head in disappointment and said, "they would've bloody won it". Just really pissed with that last quarter. We must work out how to stop those runs and play in the wet!

Gehrig emerged from scans yesterday saying he was "as sweet as a bun"
Sainternist
Saintsational Legend

I can't remember going from complete despair to jubilation so quickly.

A bizarre turn of events.

Curb your enthusiasm - you’re a St.Kilda supporter!!
Saint Bev
SS Life Member

It was just the worst feeling ever when Ling slotted that goal, dare I say even worse than loosing the GF, I just couldn't believe it had been taken away from us once again. Then someone said its a free and I actualy thought Geelong had been given a free, so they would be 2 goals in front with not a skeric of hope for us, till I realised it was us that got the free, I couldn't believe it, I was screaming and crying till the siren went, unbelieable.

Have just watched that last quarter again and aside from fact that it was clearly a free. If Geelong had not have been bitching and complaining they could have kicked a goal, we actually controlled the ball totally after that, but I never realised it at the time.

Qld Saints Supporter Group
Gabba
SS Hall of Fame

I am just happy that I saw the free first! I had to practically whack my cousin in the arm a few times as he had his head in his hands to tell him!

maverick
Saintsational Legend

Re: That feeling! I felt sick

villasaint wrote:I felt absolutely sick when Lings goal went through the sticks on Friday night. I put my head between my knees and was thinking some very dark thoughts I did not want to put my head up. After a bit my brother slapped me on the shoulder a couple of times to say it was a free kick. I looked up in disbelief i could not believe it.

For those at the gournd on the Friday night you would know that feeling. It was devestating I was absolutelty shattered. I have watched the replay a couple of times already and you could hear and see the umpire blow for a free kick before Ling even kicked the goal and you would have known it was a free to Gwilt. The look of devestating on the some of the players faces in the super slow mow summed it up. Saints devestated Geelong elated. That was reversed quickly how sweet it is.
That was exactly how I felt, took me a long time after the game for it took sink in, not sure it still has.

SainterK
Saintsational Legend

I watched cats fans hugging, jumping for joy....put my head on hubbies shoulder, then fixed my attention to the scoreboard waiting for the inevitable.

After about 10 seconds I realised it wasn't changing, asked Saints fans all around me what was happening, the guy behind thankfully had a radio and filled us in.

Aged about 5 years.

bigred
Saintsational Legend

That was a freakin hard quarter of football to watch.

"Now the ball is loose, it gives St. Kilda a rough chance. Black. Good handpass. Voss. Schwarze now, the defender, can run and from a long way".....
Sam23
SS Life Member

Luckily saw the free kick as it happened.. Few Saints supporters looking at me like "WTF" when I was jumping around happy haha.

I seriously considered walking out of the ground, I was feeling physically ill I just wanted the result to be known then find out.

I could not handle it, all worth it in the end!

Goddard.