A Lenny Brownlow moment

This unofficial St Kilda Saints fan forum is for people of all ages to chat Saints Footy and all posts must be respectful.

Moderators: Saintsational Administrators, Saintsational Moderators

Raven
Club Player

A Lenny Brownlow moment

Watching the Brownlow telecast on Monday night, there was a moment in particular, a very simple one, that grabbed my attention. It'll seem small and insignificant but it meant a lot to me.

It's the start of the night. One of the officials, no idea who, is up on stage explaining the rules and formalities of the award. Nobody really cares, everyone knows how it works, but they do the same old speech as a matter of routine each year.

The camera shows shots of various footballers one by one, each for about 5 seconds. We see someone looking up at the ceiling with a bored look. We see another looking down at his phone, texting. We see a third talking to his mate, laughing, drinking a beer, not paying attention.

Then the camera moves to Lenny. His face is alert, listening, attentive. His body language seems to broadcast respect to the speaker, as if he is addressing him personally. His eyes are bright, whimsical almost, as if he is listening to something very interesting and important. At the same time he manages to look focused, as if he is mentally preparing for a monumental task. At the same time, he manages to listen, show interest and respect, look excited, confident and focused. Eye of the tiger.

In that 5 seconds, despite watching him play football every week, I got such a new sensation of his great attitude, an impression of discipline, respect, and leadership. It just blew me away that despite everyone looking bored or distracted, he actually looked interested.

We're so lucky to have this man play for our club. They talk about footballers being role models, but Lenny personifies it. Such class, such discipline. Always focused, always respectful, but fearing nobody, with an undying sense of self-belief.

Players like Lenny are the ones who make me believe we'll win on Saturday. We all love this club, and I know the boys won't let us down, not if this great man has anything to do with it. It's nice to be reminded of it in such a way.

Roo's a great captain, I wouldn't give up his captaincy for the world, but it's great to know that if for some reason he had to step down we've got a sensational backup in the wings, if only for a few more years.

Go Lenny, give 'em hell. GO SAINTS!

jonesy
Saintsational Legend

I thought he was perving on Twigley

Bring back the Lockett era
saint patrick
Saintsational Legend

Great post Raven...couldn't agree more.

The anguish I felt last year was for Lenny more than anyone....

HE MUST BE REMEMBERED AS A PREMIERSHIP PLAYER...MUST...MUST...THAT IS ALL :x

Never take a backward step even to gain momentum.....

'It's OK to have the capabilities and abilities, but you've got to get it done." Terry Daniher 05

"We have beauty in our captain and we have a true leader in our coach. Our time will come"
Thinline.Post 09 Grand final.
Middo
Club Player

saint patrick wrote:Great post Raven...couldn't agree more.

The anguish I felt last year was for Lenny more than anyone....

HE MUST BE REMEMBERED AS A PREMIERSHIP PLAYER...MUST...MUST...THAT IS ALL :x
He will be .... :lol:

Jack Newnes happy to be a Saint !!!! PS and to hit a target !!!
iwantmeseats
SS Life Member

You think lenny has as many as "a few" good years left? I hope so! I would have thought maybe more like 2...??

#1GILL
SS Hall of Fame

iwantmeseats wrote:You think lenny has as many as "a few" good years left? I hope so! I would have thought maybe more like 2...??
If we give him an A+ for this year, then I think next year will be an A, then a B+ then a B. By then I think he will be close to retirement.

Bernard Shakey
Saintsational Legend

Lenny is the man!

Old enough to repaint, but young enough to sell
dcstkfc
Saintsational Legend

Perfection personified

STRENGTH THROUGH LOYALTY.

‎''I still get really excited, and I've got the '66 thing up on the wall in a frame … You look at it and think: one day, we want to achieve that.''- Arryn Siposs
Devilhead
Saintsational Legend

Norm Smith Medallist mark my words

The Devil makes work for idle hands!!!
lurker#134
Club Player

jonesy wrote:I thought he was perving on Twigley
I thought his date was looking a far sight better than the twig actually.

Born in Moorabbin
Club Player

What a fabulous post Raven - thank you for that. All other players on the ground on Sat will have to excel to beat Lenny for the Norm Smith! You get the feeling that years down the track he will still be at the Club in some leading capacity - he is a real gent for sure!!!

Allwewantisaflag
Thinline
Saintsational Legend

jonesy wrote:I thought he was perving on Twigley
Or realised he'd landed the seat next to Roo's Texan....

"The inches we need are everywhere around us. They're in every break in the game. Every minute, every second. On this team we fight for that inch. On this team we tear ourselves and everyone around us to pieces for that inch. We claw with our fingernails for that inch. Because we know when we add up all those inches that's gonna make the f***in' difference between winning and losing! Between living and dying!'
Raven
Club Player

He's a guy I'd love to see have a Premiership medallion draped around his neck... well, him and the rest of course. I just don't wanna see that scream again.

SaintWal
Club Player

I posted the the other day that I would hate to be the Pies player between Lenny and the Ball at the opening bounce on Saturday. It will be fair but gee it will be ferocious

St Ick
SS Hall of Fame

I love the insight after 5 seconds of a camera being on him. But yes, agreed because we know his personality.

Anyway, I've jumped all over odds of around 150-1 for Schnieder-Hayes First Goal/Norm Smith double.... gotta love Lenny!

Strength through Loyalty
Go those mighty Sainters!!